Whole100+ - To weigh or not to weigh

Except for my recent lack of appetite, I feel better eating this way. My mind is often SO clear (like a fog has lifted), and it's obvious to me I'm losing some weight. But I can't decide if I should weigh once every 30 days, or just weigh at the end of this. I'm on day 25, so I keep thinking about this.

I'd convinced myself *not* to weigh, because I decided the number wouldn't actually do anything for me mentally except make me wish I'd lose even faster (I had just hit an obese BMI when I started this.) But on the other hand, it would be nice to know what I lose on a whole30 and track it every 30 days to see how my body responds to this way of eating (as well as changes I plan on making -- like if I try egg-free or wean off coffee or if exercise is worth it and how each level of exercise affects me.) I use a fitbit and enjoy collecting data on... everything.   :) But I chose not to take measurements before I started-- I just took a picture. So all I have is weight and the subjective idea of whether my current pants fit any better.

Would you weigh every 30 days if you were planning to eat this way for 100+ days (or indefinitely)?

If *I* planned on eating this way indefinitely (as I pretty much do) it'd be because I felt it was making for a long term healthier me, and therefore weight would be irrelevant (or at most a pleasant side effect).

I suppose that's relative though to your own personal starting point.

• Administrators

If *I* planned on eating this way indefinitely (as I pretty much do) it'd be because I felt it was making for a long term healthier me, and therefore weight would be irrelevant (or at most a pleasant side effect).

I suppose that's relative though to your own personal starting point.

That's what I was going to say, too.  If you are already planning this as a lifestyle then the scale number is irrelevant.

Personally I've been at this for over 2 years and I no longer feel the desire to weight myself even though I know I have fat to lose. 

Here is a way to handle it though (and what I tend to do). On day 31 sit down and write out all the benefits you have noticed from the program. Celebrate those. Then ask yourself this question..."will I still feel like a success if the number on the scale doesn't match my expectations?" If the answer is yes then feel free to check in. If the answer is no then stuff it and keep going. A much better thing to track then weight is body measurements so if you did those initially maybe check those instead. But again, if knowing those answers is going to be a setback then it isn't worth it. So many more things to gain from this.

174,203 Ways to Measure Health (Besides the Scale)

Archived