Needing some help...

JillH

So, I made it to day 28 of my Whole 30 (this was a few weeks ago) and, in a week moment, ate some spicy flax chips (and they weren't even that good, ugh!).  That began the slippery slope... and then there was Easter...  My kids chocolate in the house... and the Sugar Dragon come back more fierce than ever.  I am going to start another Whole 30 this coming Monday and plan on doing Whole 45 or 60, because CLEARLY 30 was not enough.  But here is my problem... I am sick of eating protein!  Sometimes I can't bear the thought of eating chicken, or eggs, or chicken sausage, or beef.  I have both Well Fed books (and have tried MANY of the recipes), have NomNom Paleo (but haven't tried any of them yet) and have pre-ordered the new Whole  30.  I know I need variety but I just can't get excited about starting again.  I KNOW how much better I felt, but still... struggling with the thought.  I REALLY need this to be a long-term thing.  I'm tired of gaining and losing the same 10 pounds over and over again.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

• Moderators

Congrats on making it 28 days. That's a real accomplishment!

Now for the tough love:

Whole30 is not necessarily meant to be done long term. It's meant to be done as a reset after which you conduct reintroductions and then determine how you desire to eat for what you deem to be your best possible results. It worries me when folks use W30 as a "diet" when it's designed to revolutionize their relationship with food.

My thoughts are: please don't do that. Don't do another Whole 30 until you're really ready, "excited about starting again", and committed to changing your life. No one else can give you that desire.  And you will not be successful if you begin again having to force yourself to eat foods that you're "sick of."

You have to find your food spark again!  That does not mean you go off the rails and eat all the chocolate in the house in the meantime because you will feel lousy.  

Did you do a W30 to find out what foods you might be reacting to?  I.E. is dairy making seasonal allergies worse, gluten causing bathroom issues, etc.?  Or did you do a W30 to lose weight?  The why of a W30 has a direct bearing on the success of the process.  Food is fuel.  Learning which "grade" fuel your engine runs best on is key to a peaceful relationship with the fuel.  Right now so many of us use food as a reward, or a punishment, but when you get down to it, it is a means to an end.  We must eat in order to survive, but we must eat well in order to thrive.  There's a difference.  Don't force yourself into another W30 and use food as your punishment for a chocolate bender.  It won't end well.  Be kind to yourself, and your body, food does not need to be a punishment.

Lady M is correct.   Another binge is not a cure for a food addiction.  Another Whole 30 may not be the answer for the cycles of binge or thrill eating.  Perhaps, it's time to seek out the Whole 30 counseling service that's available through the forum.

I'm not surmising you are a thrill eater, but gaining and losing the same 10 lbs over and over is a cycle that can last an entire lifetime.  Ten can turn into 20, 50 or 100 as the years go by.

Archived