Not feeling well.

Boo

I am on Day 10 and I woke up in the middle of the night with a very sour stomach.  It was hard to sleep after that.  The sour stomach has continued through the morning ~ making wanting to eat very difficult.

I am nibbling on some steak and green beans but it has taken me almost 2 hours to eat 10 green beans and 4 bites of steak.

Is this normal for this stage?  I don't feel "sick" otherwise ~ just a very sensitive stomach today.

• Administrators

Stomach disturbances at various stages of Whole30 are not uncommon.

Can you post a few days worth of typical food (include portions, please), fluids, exercise, stress, sleep etc? Include anything else that might be relevant and we can take a look and see if anything stands out.  Are you eating much more of something that you didn't previously eat? 

For the most part, my food intake is more than I normally would eat prior to starting Whole 30.  I haven't wrote down my portions (although I have followed the portion guidelines) but I have wrote down everything I have ate.

Day 9

Breakfast: Iced White Coffee Americano, monkey salad (banana, cashews and raw coconut), grape tomatoes

Lunch: ground beef, mashed cauliflower, clementine orange

Dinner: Turkey/Sweet Potato Chili, Avocado, clementine orange

Day 8

Breakfast: Iced White Coffee Americano, monkey salad (banana, cashews, raw coconut), radishes

Lunch: ground beef, mashed cauliflower, apple

Snack before work out: guacamole

Dinner: ground beef, scrambled eggs, avocado, clementine orange

Day 7 (this was Easter and my family get together was at 3 so I didn't eat dinner)

Breakfast: White Coffee Americano, baked red potatoes, 2 eggs (over easy)

Lunch/Dinner: Steak, hardboiled egg, Roasted Brussell Sprouts, grapes

Snack: clementine orange, big bite of ground beef

I am exercising regularly on each day ~ a combination of weights and cardio.  I have not felt stressed and really have been sleeping soundly until last night.  Some of my recovery from working out has caused a lot of overall soreness but that is to be expected (or so I thought) with the addition of weights to my exercising program.

Before Whole 30 I would have a sugared up latte for breakfast and then dinner ~ usually loaded with carbs and dairy.  And no exercising. 

• Administrators

For the most part, my food intake is more than I normally would eat prior to starting Whole 30.  I haven't wrote down my portions (although I have followed the portion guidelines) but I have wrote down everything I have ate.

Day 9

Breakfast: Iced White Coffee Americano, monkey salad (banana, cashews and raw coconut), grape tomatoes

Lunch: ground beef, mashed cauliflower, clementine orange

Dinner: Turkey/Sweet Potato Chili, Avocado, clementine orange

Day 8

Breakfast: Iced White Coffee Americano, monkey salad (banana, cashews, raw coconut), radishes

Lunch: ground beef, mashed cauliflower, apple

Snack before work out: guacamole

Dinner: ground beef, scrambled eggs, avocado, clementine orange

Day 7 (this was Easter and my family get together was at 3 so I didn't eat dinner)

Breakfast: White Coffee Americano, baked red potatoes, 2 eggs (over easy)

Lunch/Dinner: Steak, hardboiled egg, Roasted Brussell Sprouts, grapes

Snack: clementine orange, big bite of ground beef

I am exercising regularly on each day ~ a combination of weights and cardio.  I have not felt stressed and really have been sleeping soundly until last night.  Some of my recovery from working out has caused a lot of overall soreness but that is to be expected (or so I thought) with the addition of weights to my exercising program.

Before Whole 30 I would have a sugared up latte for breakfast and then dinner ~ usually loaded with carbs and dairy.  And no exercising. 

That is a lot of sugar that you are consuming in the form of fruit.

Kindly, if you've been following the template and portions you would be eating protein, fat and veggies for each meal (not monkey salad, no protein there at all).  Your veggie quantity is extremely low, try for 1-3 cups at each meal...and with veggies, more is better. Fruits seem to be pushing veggies off your plate.  Our recommendation is no more than 1 or 2 pieces per day and eaten only with a main meal, not on its own.

High quantities of fruits can cause digestive upset.  Lack of bulk (fibre from veggies) can lead to digestive distress.  For me, personally, I can't eat that much ground beef, it upsets my stomach.  Have you tried branching out from just beef and eggs? Maybe try some chicken and seafood?

My prior meals do have more chicken and vegetables ~ I made a HUGE batch of ground beef and was trying to eat that for its simplicity.  I can't eat seafood.

I will most definitely try adding more protein variation and eliminating some fruit and replacing it with more vegetables and see what happens.  For whatever reason in my head I thought monkey salad was a suitable breakfast option.  I need something easy for the mornings ~ any suggestions?

Thank you SO MUCH for your input!!!  I truly appreciate it!!

• Administrators

Ya, unfortunately sometimes things like monkey salad started appearing on various feeds as Whole30 approved.  Technically I suppose it would be but the question to ask yourself is whether or not the item has compliant ingredients AND fits our recommended template.  ;) Plus, waking up from a night of sleep and giving yourself a huge sugar rush first thing is not the best for your body's systems.

The easiest breakfast is whatever you had for dinner last night. ;)  Anything can be breakfast.  Personally I love skillet hashes.  I always precook the protein on the weekend and pre-chop the veggies (often gr beans, peppers, onions, mushrooms) and then just throw it all together in the frying pan with some fat, sauté it until the veggies are cooked, throw some spinach or baby kale in and then top it with an egg or two.  Takes about 20 minutes of weekend prep and 10 cooking minutes in the morning.  :)

Use google and try:

"forum.whole9life.com: easy breakfast" 

"forum.whole9life.com: eggless breakfast"

"forum.whole9life.com: egg free breakfast"

You'll get tonnes of results.  :)

White coffee and water. White coffee is pretty much an unroasted coffee bean. It's hard to find once you leave Spokane, Washington. I prefer it because it isn't as bitter or acidic as regular coffee. It has a nutty taste.

I should add that you don't drink it like a drip cup of coffee. It has more caffeine than regular coffee because it us unroasted. I do a double shot with lots of ice and water.

I'm going to be a little more firm than Lady Shanny on this one: Monkey Salad is something made up by the internet to ruin people's whole30s. It is NOT a good choice in the slightest, and it makes me mad that people are tricked into thinking it is because of some blogger.

Eat the template at every single meal. Meat/Fish/Eggs. Good Fat. 2-3 cups of veggies. It works.

Archived