I am currently on day 8 of my first Whole30 and feel well-nourished and satisfied BUT need to make sure I am on the right track. Right now I am unsure about my snack choices and would love some input. I am currently nursing my second child- she is 15 months old, I work full-time (so mainly nurse at night- and yes, allll night she is stuck on my boob), and workout 4 days a week- mainly strength conditioning with some cardio/spinning. Here is a sample of my daily meals-

Breakfast:

2 eggs fried with a dab of coconut oil

½ avocado

2 cups salad

‘clean’ salsa

AM Snack at work

Nuts or nut butter

Apple

Pre-workout snack

Hard boiled egg with homemade avocado oil mayo

Post-workout

1 serving of chicken breast

1 serving of sweet potato

Veggies

PM Snack

Raw veggies with homemade mayo

Nuts

Apple

Dinner

Wild caught sole (2 fillets) cooked in coconut oil

Steamed broccoli

Salsa

Homemade mayo 1 serving

Dessert

Blueberries

Cherries

I know I have lots of fruit in there… not sure what I can substitute these with if necessary…

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

• Administrators

Your best bet is to create template based snacks as well.  Protein, fat and veggies.  Nuts and their butters and fruits alone as you are doing leads to blood sugar spikes and can create rebound hunger all day.

• Administrators

Basically you're just trying to make little mini meals.  Protein, fat and veg.  Canned salmon with homemade mayo, scooped with cucumber & pepper slices. Sardines with hot sauce and snow peas.  Couple chicken thighs with olives and roasted brussel sprouts. Meatballs with homemade mayo & some roasted cauliflower.  Cooked chicken with guacamole & whatever veggies you have on hand.

• Administrators

Pre is protein and fat, Post is lean protein and starchy veggie.  You can make lots of combinations out of that.  For Pre and Post though, most people tend to eat the same thing over and over because that's more a case of "food as fuel" rather than "yum, can't wait to eat this delicious meal".

;)

No my post-workout and lunch fall at the same time, so I usually have my sweet potato meal for lunch :-)

Post workout meals are meant to be extra food. You could just do 1/2 a chicken breast and 1/2 a sweet potato directly after your workout and then 30-60 minutes later have a proper meal 2. I would also note your meal 1 doesn't have a full palm of protein unless your hands are very very small and that anything you knowingly call dessert is a rule breaker for psychological reasons. 

Ok, this is valuable input! 

As for the post workout meal- would it be OK to do lunch only around 3pm? Since I exercise during my lunch break and then would technically eat my post-workout. Lunch would be postponed, I suppose that would just replace that snack I am having in the PM.

I can def incorporate extra protein in breakfast with some chicken or turkey! That would probably satiate me until my pre-workout!!

As for the fruits then, when would I eat them? My understanding is that they are permitted at the end of a meal?

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback! It is much appreciated!

As for the fruits then, when would I eat them? My understanding is that they are permitted at the end of a meal?

Fruit is optional on a Whole30. For people who choose to have fruit, the guidance is with or immediately after a main meal only (not as a snack). Many people use them as a garnish with a meal.  As a matter of fact, today with my lamb at lunch, I had a spinach and strawberry salad - yum!

Archived