Acne getting worse -- HELP!

lashansen

I am on day 12 on my Whole30 and one thing I was looking forward to during this process was hopefully having my acne clear up. I usually have cystic acne. Last week I noticed I didn't get any new pimples...just clearing up what I already had. Unfortunately, this week I have been breaking out a TON. However, I have noticed it's different than the type I normally have and is surfaced small pimples. I have seen that the increase in nuts or fruit could be due to this, but I have only been having some fruit in the mornings (1/2 cup of blueberries or unsweetened organic applesauce) and maybe a compliant Lara Bar on rare occasions.

Any ideas or help? Could this be from detoxing?

I just posted something similar today. However, I am your opposite. I have started getting horrible cystic acne along my cheek bones, jaw, and on my neck. I googled it and those exact areas are hormone related. Before, I rarely broke out except minor surface pimples around my cycle. I haven't had this kind of acne in 5+ years. People are telling me possibly because of higher fat? But I have no idea...I'm concerned because I never had this problem when I had a balanced healthy lifestyle prior to my whole30. I'm on day 18 and I'm not liking whats going on with my hormones!

Ashytn --

It sounds like we're having similar but opposite problems. Mine are all also along my jaw/chin which I have known to be hormonal acne but it's weird because mine is surfaced little white heads now. I am hoping this changes soon because I am not a happy camper right now either! If you find out anything else, let me know!

I will keep you posted for sure. I'm not a happy camper either! People have told me to maybe try cutting out nuts as that is what I've introduced more since starting w30. I might try that for a week and see what happens. I'm going to google more though and see what comes up.

I just found a couple good articles that seem to help our problem, but it's a matter of narrowing down our problem. I'm thinking mine is related to two things possibly. 1) nuts - I've been eating a load more than I ever have before. Thinking I'll narrow it down to only consuming twice a week and see what happens. 2) I need to research this more, but possibly hypothalamic amenorrhea. But we'll see. Either way, read these! I hope both of our problems resolve soon, being a grown woman with bad acne sucks!

http://paleoforwomen.com/hormonal-acne-where-its-coming-from-and-what-to-do-about-it/

http://paleoforwomen.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-acne-in-3000-words/

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get rid of acne on the sides of my mouth.  It looks terrible.  And it won't seem to go away.  I am on day 15- have eaten totally clean- but can't seem to shake the acne.  This has been the worst so far.  I have done Paleo before and I maybe had one or two- but now I have clusters.  About 4 weeks ago I started washing my face with coconut oil and my face was so clear- then after a week of being on Whole30 I am breaking out.  I haven't starting eating larger amounts of nuts than before....hoping for a sign that it will start to clear up.

ok....so for breakfast I usually have an omelette with a fruit and a latte with homemade almond milk.  (I won't list water or herbal tea but I drink throughout day)

lunch is usually a salad with a protein or leftovers from night before which will be chicken, turkey or fish and  vegetables.  Supper, like I wrote previously, will usually be chicken, turkey or fish with a salad or vegetable.  Sometimes we will have beef, but that is not often.  I work out in the evenings so if I am hungry after I will have a boiled egg, handful of almonds or something with protein that is leftover.

It does seem to be getting a bit better.  I am wondering if my skin is doing its own detox.  I will be patient and fingers crossed it is starting to go.

Merci beaucoup et bonne journée ;)

Bievenue.

Okay these are just some random thoughts.

Are there any vegetables in your omelet?  If not, you should definitely include some vegetables with your meal one.

Eggs, nuts, dried fruit and nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplants) are typically culprits for causing inflamed acne.  I see nuts listed a couple of times - so it makes me wonder.

I don't see fats listed either (other than nuts) Keep in mind that although nuts are allowed they are not an ideal fat source.  

It is great that you have included a post workout meal.  However in order to get optimal results you might think of changing it up a little.  You see pre-work out meals we need protein and fat (in this case your boiled eggs and nuts are suitable) but post work out lean protein and a starchy veg is a more optimal choice - so something like grilled chicken and a sweet potato would work well.

Nuts, nut butters and nut milks...will mess with your skin.  After a Whole 30 or switching back and forth with nut consumption and  nuts, dried fruits,  nut/dried fruit bars will wreck havoc with the skin, too.  Ditch the nuts and see it doesn't clear up.

I simplified the menu.  with omelets I always always have vegetables and usually a fruit, omelet cooked in clarified butter and cold pressed olive oil on my breakfast salad.

my proteins are always cooked in either clarified butter or coconut oil.  I am following the program to the letter- I just simplified here.

As for the nuts and almond milk- this is not a new addition to my eating habits.  I have been off dairy at about 90%- the last being cheese- so I shouldn't have any issues with it.

I don't have dried fruits or fruit/nut bars- I tend to stay away from prepackaged foods, really.  None of the foods I am eating now are new- which is why I am frustrated- and I wonder if it is maybe more hormonal, detox or something similar--like the wrongs are trying to right themselves...if that makes sense.

It has started to go down a bit- so maybe my system is back on track.

If the flare up is going down then I tend to agree with you.

My notes above were the possibilities of what could be going on.

Nuts are a really odd one.  I have seen many people be okay with nuts previously only to discover that they have sensitivity to them later on.  So all I advise that don't overdo them.  Try to have only one serving of them a day.

Personally I never noticed issues with nuts until after my first whole 30 - they mess up my sleep, and digestive system pretty bad if I overdo them.  Small quantities I am okay, but more than a handful - forget it.  And trust me I didn't notice any problem with nuts previously.

Archived