Starting April 13th

Bridge125

This one is good, but I am talking about the one in the Whole30 book! Pulled pork in a slow cooker for 10 hours, wow! Shred it outside of the crockpot, in a separate bowl, pour some of the juice on it. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice, salad, salsa, green chilis, red onions, cilantro, or in lettuce wraps!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for putting things in perspective ladies. Man, do I have it easy! If I complain anymore send me an e-slap to the back of the head. I easily convinced my girlfriend to undertake W30 with me and in all honestly, she is the reason I am still here. She does all the weekday recipe research, prep and creative cooking, while I TRY to take over on the weekends, grilling meats and veggies to get us through the week. She keeps me well fed and makes W30 delicious ... like last night she whipped up a big batch of this (http://everydaypaleo.com/moroccan-burgers-and-beet-salad/). Not to mention, the few times I've wanted to crack she's kept me in check. I can't imagine having to cook non-compliant meals on the side for my partner. Not trying to brag, just sympathizing with your more challenging situations. So very thankful for my lady.

If I weren't doing W30 while my girlfriend was, I would not expect her to cook separate meals for me. I would either partake in her W30 grub and try not to complain, or fend for myself for 30 days. Come on fellas, that's the least you can do.

I am the only adult in my house, so I don't have to cater to another adult's interests. That really suits me very well. My children are not Whole30, but they eat much healthier by default because I eat Whole30 most of the time. Since I started Whole30ing, we sit down at the table for breakfast and dinner almost every day - it's very rare that we do not. Added sugar has disappeared from our meals. And they like my mayo so much that one of my kids will not eat commercial mayo at all, and she can tell if I or someone else uses it on something. Ha!

I'm having a good energy day. I really like this aspect of Whole30 - yesterday was draggy because I was tired and stressed, but after some good food and good sleep, I feel better today. I don't have any bad food to recover from on top of the stress and exhaustion.

I made my first pork roast ever this week. Wow!!! It's incredible, and incredibly satiating, which is a big deal for me - I spend an unfortunate amount of time chasing hunger, in spite of eating really big meals every meal, every day. Pork roast with some of the broth from the roast over a huge mound of wilted greens, and I'm set!

I seem to have hit a strange "punched in the stomach" feeling after lunch. I think I may be over-doing it on the broccoli and cauliflower lately. I have prepared everything I have eaten today so I know I haven't gotten anything non-compliant. IDK what it is although I just checked my app and my period is due in 2 days so that may be it. Anyone else experiencing anything weird? I think I need to lay off the broccoli and cauliflower for a few days. Something similar happened the last time I had cauliflower 2-3 days in a row. Maybe my stomach just doesn't like it overdone. 

• Administrators

I seem to have hit a strange "punched in the stomach" feeling after lunch. I think I may be over-doing it on the broccoli and cauliflower lately. I have prepared everything I have eaten today so I know I haven't gotten anything non-compliant. IDK what it is although I just checked my app and my period is due in 2 days so that may be it. Anyone else experiencing anything weird? I think I need to lay off the broccoli and cauliflower for a few days. Something similar happened the last time I had cauliflower 2-3 days in a row. Maybe my stomach just doesn't like it overdone. 

This is me, stomach pain and distress if I have cauliflower too many meals or days in a row.

On strange thing I've noticed is tooth pain. I've had these 2 cracked teeth for years and they never bother me, until now. Just seems odd that they wait until I'm doing whole30 to start hurting? Could it be some detox/healing or is it just coincidence and I need to go to the dentist...ugh. I think I will wait another week or two then deside.

Feeling a bit tired and blah today but otherwise it's been an ok day.

I can't be in the room with cauliflower without my digestive system complaining, I swear! Broccoli's not much better. Your lunch would lay me up for days!

Okay, I feel kind of terrible tonight, and I can't decide whether it's because I didn't eat enough overall and definitely not enough protein earlier in the day, or if I got noncompliant-ed when I ate out for lunch. I had baba ganoush and veggies for lunch at a local restaurant, had the exact same thing there last week and felt fine. Today it tasted totally different, like they made it wrong. Didn't seem to have any oil or tahini in it, just tasted like mashed eggplant with lemon and cumin  :wacko: So I for sure didn't have enough fat with lunch in addition to lack of protein. And I had eaten a light breakfast because my lunch date wanted to meet me at 11:00 (too early). I felt sleepy and irritable all day, and since dinner my stomach has been upset. What do you guys think? Just less-than-optimal food intake, or something sneaky in my baba ganoush?

Too tough to pin down a single explanation, just gotta chalk it up & figure it was "sum'thin" ,,, whether it was your veering from the template or the new guy in the kitchen doing something different. No big shake, tomorrow is another day, etc. i1shMWu.gif

Tdelillo: Hope you feel better! Peppermint tea (ginger too) always helps my belly. Idk if the baba ganoush was made differently, it just might not be sitting well in your tummy. I remember being super queasy in the first week-ish while I was detoxing...but I think you'd be past the worst of that now. Get some rest and hope you feel better tomorrow.

Thank you both. I am feeling better today, still an unhappy stomach but otherwise okay. I agree, really hard to know where the ick came from, but I'd say that's the first time I had felt flat-out bad since day 4-5 when I had a huge headache. But yeah, today is a new day, I had a good breakfast, and trying to drink a lot of water, because I think I kind of failed on that yesterday, too. 

I also was wondering if I would wake up one morning and be like, WHOA TIGER BLOOD!! But, I definitely felt it last night at my softball games. My reflexes were awesome, I felt light on my feet (dare I say AGILE even?!), and had a ton of energy (even though we got our butts kicked!)   

Eh, I don't like the "tiger blood" concept at all.  I've done 4 or 5 W30's now, and I maintain well between them, and I guess maybe I'm just biased as to what one's experience of daily life should be like?

Partly I just disagree with referencing Charlie Sheen, partly I think it oversells the potential benefits of W30 and sets people up for disappointment when they don't get the "ah hah" or "quick fix" experience, and partly I suppose I just haven't come at this program from a really negative place where the tiger blood thing would've been a big contrast for me.

Don't have any W30s under my belt but I agree with kirkor. I've browsed the forums and maybe 2% claim something akin to tiger blood. The consensus seems to be "I feel great." The timeline emphasizes that folks who were already eating well and exercising, like my girlfriend and I, are mostly likely to transform into tigers. We feel good and hum along when we're within 3 or 4 hrs max of eating, but wouldn't describe it as tiger blood. We're not disappointed and neither should you be if you're seeing small positive changes, but no light switch magic.

I notice I have pretty steady energy all day long (which is a huge change for me). I get a lot more out of my runs now also. I wouldn't say "tiger blood" necessarily but it is steady and I'm glad for that.

I definitely notice when it's time to eat which before this I did mostly or of boredom or lack of control and I also hot a wall at about 10pm and know I am done for the day and it's bedtime.

Thanks everyone! I guess I could up my exercise and see if that helps any.  I'm glad to hear from people that perhaps the concept of tiger blood is either relative or an oversell. Reading about your individual experiences really helps with perspective.

• Administrators

Thanks everyone! I guess I could up my exercise and see if that helps any.  I'm glad to hear from people that perhaps the concept of tiger blood is either relative or an oversell. Reading about your individual experiences really helps with perspective.

I think it really depends where you came from.  I've had both crazy Tiger Blood after a Whole30 and just "feel good" after another.  Pre Whole30 eats, stress, sleep etc really determine what result you might get.

Eh, I don't like the "tiger blood" concept at all.  I've done 4 or 5 W30's now, and I maintain well between them, and I guess maybe I'm just biased as to what one's experience of daily life should be like?

Partly I just disagree with referencing Charlie Sheen, partly I think it oversells the potential benefits of W30 and sets people up for disappointment when they don't get the "ah hah" or "quick fix" experience, and partly I suppose I just haven't come at this program from a really negative place where the tiger blood thing would've been a big contrast for me.

I completely agree with this. I really dislike the expression. For all of those reasons.

I'd suggest we aim at things like consistent energy and mood, improved sleep, greater stamina for activities of daily living, things like that. Let's leave the wild highs (and their accompanying lows) behind.

totally just trolled the #whole30 instagram and told someone they weren't following the rules. Most of the time I don't say anything but I just saw a post of someone's "paleo coffee creamer" and "paleo blueberry scones." oh no you didn't!  the other day I also saw someone counting weight watchers points with whole30.

totally just trolled the #whole30 instagram and told someone they weren't following the rules. Most of the time I don't say anything but I just saw a post of someone's "paleo coffee creamer" and "paleo blueberry scones." oh no you didn't!  the other day I also saw someone counting weight watchers points with whole30.

I wouldn't be able to let that go either. The problem is that people see that stuff (and all those paleo dessert recipes on Pinterest that are tagged whole30) and think it's okay, because they didn't really read the official materials. Probably the same people who finally find the forum on day 30 and post negative stuff about how it totally didn't work.

I'm kind of curious to know what the weight watchers point counter found out. I know I'm completely exceeding the number of points I'd have if I was currently doing WW. Honestly feeling a little gleeful about that (although I'm still not convinced that I'm going to like what I see on the scale when we reach the magic day).

• Administrators

I know I'm completely exceeding the number of points I'd have if I was currently doing WW. Honestly feeling a little gleeful about that (although I'm still not convinced that I'm going to like what I see on the scale when we reach the magic day).

Depending on how many points you were "allowed", you could have been under-eating which ultimately slows your metabolism.  When you then come to Whole30 and eat a relevant amount of food you could possibly experience a period of gaining while your metabolism catches up with a healthy diet filled with enough food for a human being to thrive on.  This is normal and not to be feared, if you can just keep on keeping on, everything eventually regulates.  :)

Archived