Starting April 13th

Bridge125

totally just trolled the #whole30 instagram and told someone they weren't following the rules. Most of the time I don't say anything but I just saw a post of someone's "paleo coffee creamer" and "paleo blueberry scones." oh no you didn't! the other day I also saw someone counting weight watchers points with whole30.

Oh Em Gee!!!! People's whole 30 tags on Instagram infuriate me!!! I always want to comment! Soooooo much non-compliance! Cheese?!? Are you kidding me? There's no cheese... there's no cheese in the whole 30. No cheese!!

As far as the whole scale thing goes while I am looking forward to seeing what it says I'm really not putting much stock in it. I can totally attest to how I feel, how my clothes feel, etc. I've tried a myriad of "diets" and I have realized how off a lot of them really are. Especially where artificial sweeteners are concerned!! Just gross!!!

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty liberating to not have to count anything! Points, calories, carb grams, macro percentages...I've counted them all.

My energy levels are definitely better than when I started. I went out and weeded my garden today and was totally fine. I used to get worn out from that and would feel it for several days. So I'm hoping to go out again tomorrow and finish up!

You can look at some of my whole 30 Instagram posts if ya wanna. My name is the same there as here SarahRoseyCheeks84 I'm private but you're welcome to add me. I'm pretty freakin awesome.

Hahahaha....I find myself doing the same thing with Ig posts. One girl I see has a lara bar for breakfast every day! Hmm, I dont think that is the meal template. Im jessica.bergden if you want to follow me too :)

Tiger Blood: Ok, so Im sooooo disappointed this is a Charlie Sheen quote. Ugh...bubble burst. (How come I didnt know this!??). I consistently feel lighter, Im sleeping better (in general) and my energy feels more consistent...but I dont feel a crazy difference. Like Rugarcia was saying, Im not disappointed either- but I dont feel a crazy difference.

Tiger Blood: Ok, so Im sooooo disappointed this is a Charlie Sheen quote. Ugh...bubble burst. (How come I didnt know this!??). I consistently feel lighter, Im sleeping better (in general) and my energy feels more consistent...but I dont feel a crazy difference. Like Rugarcia was saying, Im not disappointed either- but I dont feel a crazy difference.

Yep, it's a Charlie Sheen saying. Lighter, better sleep, consistent energy - that's what we're after. Keep it up.

Good morning friends!!!! Happy Day 20! If I had asked myself before we started if I'd make it even 20 days I never would've believed I could do it!! Or that it would be this easy. Off to the farmers market today and then the dog park! 76° today wooooooit!!! Have a great Saturday!

I also can't believe it's day 20. We are 2/3 of the way through, people! We can DO THIS!

Thanks ladyshanny for what you said - "Depending on how many points you were "allowed", you could have been under-eating which ultimately slows your metabolism.  When you then come to Whole30 and eat a relevant amount of food you could possibly experience a period of gaining while your metabolism catches up with a healthy diet filled with enough food for a human being to thrive on." I'm only about 15 lbs above my goal weight, so I get the minimum number of points. Every time I go back to WW, I lose a little weight and then go crazy with rebound eating. While there are things I'm missing while I do the whole30, I am NOT hungry and the big meals have totally killed my grazing habit. I hope you're right about my metabolism adjusting. But if I don't lose weight, oh well, it's still helping me in other ways.

Goal weights are pretty awful. The concept is to arbitrarily pick a number that has nothing to do with your personal context and everything to do with what society currently says people of your gender and race and age should weigh, and then do everything to aim at that. Whole30 isn't at all about that. Whole30 is about being healthy, and that's really really different than being thin. It just is. 

Goal weights are pretty awful. The concept is to arbitrarily pick a number that has nothing to do with your personal context and everything to do with what society currently says people of your gender and race and age should weigh, and then do everything to aim at that. Whole30 isn't at all about that. Whole30 is about being healthy, and that's really really different than being thin. It just is.

I've never agreed with anything more!! The ideal weight for me at 5'7 is between 115-135. Well... needless to say I haven't weighed 115 since before high school. Could you imagine a 5'7 frame at 115?!? I'd probably fall over. 135 sounds ok, I suppose. But I am really most comfortable at 140-150. Personally I do my best staying away from the scale. I listen to my blood work results, my BMI and how I honestly view myself. That's really when I feel my best.

I agree about goal weight being a bad idea. I had a friend that was obsessed with a certain number but she couldn't quite reach it. Just four measly pounds away and she was never satisfied with that. Of course now she's given up and gained a bunch back instead of figuring out how to be happy where she was.

I have about 50 pounds to lose to get into the "normal" range for me. I could easily go a bunch lower than that though to get to an ideal weight. But heck, at this point I would love to just go down a size or two and just feel comfortable in my skin again. Health is more important right now, weight loss would be a very nice side effect :)

Happy Day 20 everyone!

Thanks, Amy. I needed that kick in the pants. It's just hard to stay focused on the other positive results when I keep seeing success stories that mention significant weight losses. Just too many years of being weight obsessed... that's a harder habit to break than sugar!

But those other results are there - sleeping more deeply, allergies are much better, improved mental focus, and no thinking about food 24/7. It really is all good.  :D

Day 21!!! Gahhh! Im excited to make it to today. I have to be diligent today and tomorrow...Ive never made it past Day 22.

I had a difficult day yesterday. I think the brussel sprouts I had for breakfast (a HUGE PLATE) made me incrediby gassy by the afternoon. I wasnt even hungry for dinner. Then my pants were tighter and I started to feel like, "Whhyyyy...am I torturing myself?" (Well, torture may be a bit of an exaggeration, lol). Then We planted our apartment balcony city "garden" yesterday. Which means....nights out on the balcony with twinkle lights= adult beverage consumption. I watched the BF drink our homemade beer and his good scotch yesterday....while I drank my tea. I even ran out of kombucha that I like to put in a wine glass. (Yes, the BF brews beer and wine in our small apartment. Our closet is our liquor store. I started brewing my own kombucha so I would have something I made too :-)). I didnt cave but went to bed feeling bloated, gassy and like a 2 year old having a tantrum. :-p. Eating a good breakfast and hoping today will be better. Im going to buy some kombucha for tonight for myself for the night out on the balcony.

ColoradoGirl you will get to 30 this time!!  Only a few more days!  We got this :)

I'm tired and headachy this morning.  I think the last two days of gardening has finally taken it's toll.  Going to rest a bit more today but I really want to at least get my strawberries planted. 

@ColoradoGirl

I know we say that fruit isn't supposed to push veggies off our plates, but veggies aren't supposed to push off protein & fat either! 1-2 palms protein & 1-2 thumbs of fat for *each* of the 3 meals. And bloating is not satiation and your body needs food. Make extra sure today you've got your template meals wired tight. Maybe skip Brussels sprouts for the duration, or just dial back cruciferous veg in general?

No sweat about Day 22, it's just a day!

Thanks Jomyke and Kirkor :-). No worries, Kirkor...I had bacon, eggs and avocado with those brussel sprouts (guess I didnt mention that). Laying off the cruciferous vegetables for now (Big Bang Theory episode of Sheldon in pain from eating brussel sprouts is coming to mind). ;-) I ate a decent breakfast this am: 3 eggs, potato and mushroom-pepper-onion-broccoli mix w avocado. I am feeling better so far today.

Have a great day everyone!

I'm having a serious mental battle the past few days. I have to keep reminding myself that the template is each MEAL not each DAY. I've been wrestling with myself about fat amounts. Last night I made an almond/cashew crusted chicken breasts. I ground 1/4 cup of each in the ninja, dipped the chicken in egg, coated them and then browned each side before baking it in the oven. Then I wrestled with myself over adding avocado to my breakfast this morning. Is anyone else having a "fat" battle lately? I'm adhering to everything else... lots of veggies, protein and good fats. I guess it's the good fats thing I'm struggling with. Feels like an oxymoron to me. help!!!

I'm having a serious mental battle the past few days. I have to keep reminding myself that the template is each MEAL not each DAY. I've been wrestling with myself about fat amounts. Last night I made an almond/cashew crusted chicken breasts. I ground 1/4 cup of each in the ninja, dipped the chicken in egg, coated them and then browned each side before baking it in the oven. Then I wrestled with myself over adding avocado to my breakfast this morning. Is anyone else having a "fat" battle lately? I'm adhering to everything else... lots of veggies, protein and good fats. I guess it's the good fats thing I'm struggling with. Feels like an oxymoron to me. help!!!

I go through this periodically. What I decided to do was add one dollop more of fat than my inner fat judge thinks is morally right and proper. Some days that means I eat the whole avocado - twice. Basically, when it comes to fat, I'm training myself to do the opposite of what that little voice in my head says, and at the exact moment when that little voice in my head says it. Don't know if that will help you, but it's been helpful for me.

I find myself eating more fat ... extra dollop of ranch mayo or olive-balsalmic-shallot oil on top of my veggies or protein. That's in addition to the cooking fat or avocado. I am really hungry in the evenings and it helps satiate me, make my food richer, and keep my brain happy. I wouldn't sweat a little extra fat.

I on the other hand had frozen berries for dessert after dinner the past two nights. I know the concept of desert is W30 blasphemy and I contemplated whether I should do it, but I did it and I don't regret it. I justified it because my eating schedule was thrown off this weekend. I skipped breakfast yesterday and hosted company for lunch/dinner, which meant my plate was much smaller and lacking the typical large portion of veggies. I don't like that W30 makes me mentally wrestle with myself about straying from the template a little.

I on the other hand had frozen berries for dessert after dinner the past two nights. I know the concept of desert is W30 blasphemy and I contemplated whether I should do it, but I did it and I don't regret it. I justified it because my eating schedule was thrown off this weekend. I skipped breakfast yesterday and hosted company for lunch/dinner, which meant my plate was much smaller and lacking the typical large portion of veggies. I don't like that W30 makes me mentally wrestle with myself about straying from the template a little.

See? The way you feel about fat I feel about fruit. I'm a rarity in that I don't have a sugar dragon. I can take our leave sugar really. I've always been that way. Where others were big ice cream, cake, cookies fanatics I have always been a processed carb fanatic. Bread, fries, chips and the like. I had bananas, apples, cinnamon and a little almond butter melted over the last two days after dinner and it doesn't bother me. I don't really consider it dessert more of an extension on dinner. I think my last time having fruit before that was Monday or Tuesday last week. It's blueberry season here too and they are really delicious. I don't think we should beat ourselves up over certain choices. We didn't cheat, didn't stray or give up. We stayed in moderation and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I also might take a nap today too and I am positively reveling in the thought. I feel everything we've done and will do in these 30 days be it fruit, extra sleep, extra good fats, etc. have been great things to give our bodies. I don't regret any of it.

Sarahrosep84: I think I still have the "fat is bad" mentality after growing up in the low fat era. But I notice that adding fat helps me be able to go close to 4 hours between meals. It took me a while to get over this too!

Rugarcia: I think a lot of people starting out on a whole30 have unhealthy eating patterns and do things out of habit (like eat dessert after dinner). I now find myself wanting to make my raw desert balls w dates and cacao (which by no means are unhealthy but would awake that sugar dragon in me!! And Im feeling stressed and instead Im trying to find other non-food ways to cope). If you dont have a sugar dragon, I dont see an issue with eating fruit after dinner. You could eat it with dinner and that would have less of a hormonal effect. Anyhoo...I guess my point is that we are all doing this to be healthier, and if you are making conscious choices that arent feeding a sugar dragon or being used to cope with anxiety/stress, etc...then dont be too hard on yourself :)

It's taken me a long time to get over my fat phobia. I remember even as a little girl I convinced myself that I hated butter because it was evil fat. I was the queen of dry bread and pancakes...ick. Of course I turned to sugar because twizlers are fat free! What a messed up relationship with food I've had all these years. I feel like I'm finally on the right path though. It's quite amazing to feel satiated on healthy foods, not have the sugar dragon taking control, and not fearing the fat anymore.

you're all so awesome! I'm so glad I have this forum to support and advise me as we go through this.

I just made a snack with hazelnuts and coconut cream involved because I realized I had no fat at all with lunch and only cooking fat at breakfast. maybe that's why I felt so inclined to take a nap.

Geez Looweez, I am gonna have to take back the last sentence I wrote here. Tonight I am just craving everything in the house. I'm stuffing my face with every compliant thing I can find and nothing is satisfying me. Not going to cave in!! The sugar demons see that it's been too easy so far and are picking up the pace lol.

Archived