Starting April 13th

Bridge125

Definitely plan to take many W30 habits with me after this is over. I'm thinking something like 90% paleo + 10% soul food. This may also depend on what I learn during the re-introduction period, which brings me to a question. Since we judge W30 results based on how we feel now, rather than during the first two weeks (tired, headaches, weak, no workout stamina, etc), shouldn't I allow the forbidden foods (beans or oats) a similar adaptation period and not purely critique them based on how I feel the first time I try them? My guess is that they may not make feel the greatest but that may have to do with the fact that my body needs to re-adapt.

You know, you might be a candidate for the slow roll reintroduction: http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/ This article doesn't address the exact question you're asking, about allowing your body time to adapt to a particular food, but it does address taking longer to reintroduce, so it might give some ideas.

I thought about a slow roll reintro for myself, but decided to do the regular one because I have a trip coming up in a month and I'd like to have a clear idea of what will bother me and what won't, if I'm just sort of shocking my system, as it were, with a particular food.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we judge W30 results based on how we feel now, rather than during the first two weeks (tired, headaches, weak, no workout stamina, etc), shouldn't I allow the forbidden foods (beans or oats) a similar adaptation period and not purely critique them based on how I feel the first time I try them? My guess is that they may not make feel the greatest but that may have to do with the fact that my body needs to re-adapt.

That's a point that's often discussed ... on the one hand there's the idea that when the "callouses" or "scar tissue" (excess mucousal buildup in your digestive tract) is sloughed off during the W30 reset, the acute short-term irritation of re-intro'd foods is more clear and gives you accurate information. So the immediate discomfort is indeed the real discomfort.

On the other hand, ya, there is something to the idea that certain digestive enzymes and other components of your gut flora can be "built back up" similar to taking probiotics or yogurt fter being sick and on medicine, and after a few weeks you'd be better able to handle legumes, for example.

I think that's where the slow roll intro comes in to play ---- really just ease in to the reintro and don't do it by a fixed schedule, but only as needed for the pace of life.

Good morning whole 30 friends! Happy Day 22 and Happy Cinco De Mayo!!!! 

Anyone else going for a little Mexican fare this evening? We're making steak fajitas (i'll be using Romaine leaves in lieu of tortillas) and cilantro lime cauliflower rice. It's only 7:30 in the morning and I am so counting down the time until dinner! 

I went with a little huevos rancheros for breakfast and so far three people have stopped by my desk to ask what smells so good. People are genuinely shocked that I make my breakfast every morning. It helps when you prep a lot of it on Sunday afternoon. I love it. I love to start the day out with a sustaining breakfast. In case anyone would like to re-create:

I made a hash with mushrooms, onions, red bell peppers, jalapeno (no seeds! yikes!) and cilantro. To that I added chopped/roughly mashed white potatoes (that I cut small and pre-boiled first. totally the key cuts WAY down on cooking time) and ground chorizo (so far only the pork chorizo made at Whole Foods at the butcher counter has been compliant I remove it from the casing and brown it in a pan then I sautee all the veggies in the rendered fat). When it's done I put in on a plate and topped it with two eggs over easy, fresh chopped tomato, chopped avocado, salsa and green onion. BOOM! delicious! I wouldn't recommend using ground turkey instead unless you are really going to season it. I've done this (or a version of it) with ground chicken and ground beef. Both equally yummy! 

Have a great day friends!

One more week guys!  Oooh Mexican does sound good.  I'll have to see what I can come up with today.  I know I can at least add some guac to whatever I make today.  Have a great day everyone!

• Administrators

I went with a little huevos rancheros for breakfast and so far three people have stopped by my desk to ask what smells so good. People are genuinely shocked that I make my breakfast every morning. It helps when you prep a lot of it on Sunday afternoon. I love it. I love to start the day out with a sustaining breakfast. In case anyone would like to re-create:

If you want, can you go post about why you love a template breakfast so much over in our "Experience it To Believe It" thread?  You'll be helping new folks understand and make the switch to being breakfast eaters! 

Okay, I definitely need to start following the Instagram thread for the sheer comedy value! 

Meanwhile, I've got a dose of the "are we there yet?"s. Changed up my meals pretty good this week to avoid boredom, but I still feel kind of food grumpy. Of course, it might just be tiredness - I was sleeping better than usual for a couple of weeks, then Sunday night and last night were awful, no reason I can find. And sleepy=cravings. But I will persevere! 

I'm super tired today too and yesterday. Not like lazy tired but just sleepy! I'm chocking it up to the heat! idk where you are in the world but I'm in Northern Jersey and it went from 50's to 80s like overnight. And it was flippin humid today too!! I'm the type who REFUSES to go from heat to AC right away. Eff that! my electric bill is high enough thanks. with the oven on it's beastly!

Oh. Em. Gee! I'm sorry but I just had to pay about dinner! It was so insanely good! I made homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowls! Cilantro lime cauliflower rice with steak fajitas on top made with sautéed peppers, onions and garlic and I topped it with homemade guacamole and homemade totally compliant sour "cream"!!! You put a can of coconut milk in the fridge over night. Open it from the bottom and save the liquid if you want. Put the coconut "cream" in a bowl and whisk it with sea salt and lemon juice. I used a fair amount of lemon juice and I'm telling you it was WAY better than traditional sour cream!!!!

• Administrators

Oh. Em. Gee! I'm sorry but I just had to pay about dinner! It was so insanely good! I made homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowls! Cilantro lime cauliflower rice with steak fajitas on top made with sautéed peppers, onions and garlic and I topped it with homemade guacamole and homemade totally compliant sour "cream"!!! You put a can of coconut milk in the fridge over night. Open it from the bottom and save the liquid if you want. Put the coconut "cream" in a bowl and whisk it with sea salt and lemon juice. I used a fair amount of lemon juice and I'm telling you it was WAY better than traditional sour cream!!!!

I'm scared to make this faux sour cream. For my personal context it would not be a good situation. I was a sour cream fiend in my former life and I would love nothing more than to slather it on absolutely everything that I put in my mouth. Ya.....not cool. The rest sounds awesome though and I have some pulled pork in the freezer, might have to recreate this myself! What recipe did you use for cilantro lime cauli rice?

Ok...I know it is going to sound a little weird...but if you bake a sweet potato (half if it's super large) and then mash it with half of a ripe banana, a tbs. or so of raw coconut, a handful of pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg and a splash of coconut milk it definitely reminds me of the banana bread flavor. 

However, I think I have to agree with those above. Maybe it's good to figure out why you want it. If you're eating a banana to stave off a craving for banana bread it would feel like, to me, that the craving won that round. Maybe it's better to hold off on the banana? 

The rest sounds awesome though and I have some pulled pork in the freezer, might have to recreate this myself! What recipe did you use for cilantro lime cauli rice?

I actually made it myself! It came based off a recipe on Pinterest, but I tweaked it because the girl added butter to hers (why?!?).

I put a whole head of cauliflower in the food processor and "riced it". Then just slightly cooked it in a pan with minced garlic. Once it came out I tossed it with the juice of two limes (frankly, I could have done another) and probably 2-3tbs. of cilantro. It was really yummy and super easy. 

Good point.  I don't want to give into it even it if is just a banana. No cravings so far today so I'm gonna ignore it. 

Does anyone have an Instant Pot (pressure cooker)?  I just got one and planning on making pork ribs tonight...can't wait to see how they turn out!

Unexpected benefit of the whole30: I am learning a lot about my perfectionist tendencies and fear of failure. I had yet another dream last night about accidentally eating something non-compliant. In this dream, I was walking past a display of cookies in the grocery store, and suddenly found myself several aisles away with half a cookie stuffed in my mouth. Which I spit out, and then ran to a nearby water fountain to wash my mouth out. Kind of amazing how much our brains get into the food game...

SarahRoseyCheeks, love your simple cilantro cauliflower rice idea. I've been thinking taco salad, but I bet the taco meat would go well with this "rice" too...

SarahRoseyCheeks, love your simple cilantro cauliflower rice idea. I've been thinking taco salad, but I bet the taco meat would go well with this "rice" too...

Yeah I bet that would be delicious!!!! I have become such a huge cauliflower fan since starting this. I can totally do so many things with it. I have finally learned though that I have to skip a day or two in between eating it or my tummy does crazy things!

tdelillo - that is so funny! I can just picture it hiding your goods down the aisle like a little squirrel. I'm nervous about this whole re-introduction thing. I can see myself sliding right back in to bad habits. I think I will wait until at least 60 days to re-intro anything. I don't think 30 days was enough time for me personally to gain back my control. I feel like I've definitely come a long way since the beginning but I'd like some more time under my belt before I eat things. I may have the occasional paleo treat especially homemade ice "cream" when it's really hot out this summer but I am too nervous to just dive back in to non-compliant eating. Any one else feeling this way?

Ok...I know it is going to sound a little weird...but if you bake a sweet potato (half if it's super large) and then mash it with half of a ripe banana, a tbs. or so of raw coconut, a handful of pecans, cinnamon and nutmeg and a splash of coconut milk it definitely reminds me of the banana bread flavor.

I made this in honor of this post:

gW2qZmP.jpg

Archived