Starting April 13th

Bridge125

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discovered a spiral veggie slicer this weekend. What a nifty little contraption. I made zucchini pasta with chicken and pesto. This might be the quickest tastiest meal I've had. I'm not a big fan of the texture of spaghetti squash (mush). The spiralizer makes a wider, firmer zucchini noodle.

I have a spiralizer and I never use it. I expected angels to sing the first time I tried it, but I was totally meh about it. If shipping weren't so ridiculous from where I live to everywhere else on the planet, I'd offer to send it to anyone on this thread who wants it. I know this makes me a Paleo outlier (along with my dislike of coconut). :ph34r::lol:

I have a spiralizer too, wasn't the fanciest one but it has three blades so it's not bad. I agree with AmyS, I really thought I was going to love it but I've only used it 4 or 5 times in the months (8? 9?) since I bought it. Zucchini noodles are definitely the best thing I've done with it, but most of the time it seems easier to just dice my zucchini. If you are someone who really craves the texture/idea of pasta, maybe it's worth having, but I could generally care less about noodles.

Which spiralizer did you get? Anyone have one already? I have such a small apt kitchen but I think I'd love one of those! (And an immersion blender) :P

Here's the one we have. Fits in a coffee mug.

http://www.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-veggetti-spiral-vegetable-slicer-cutter/-/A-15432009?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=15432009&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=15432009&LID=26pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=15432009&kpid=15432009&gclid=CjwKEAjwg7yqBRCu5NmlgMm6i08SJADDEudZc3FVRCuPFeGS9qd8bPY_Gn0PU574fY9zlF64ZSVQ6BoCTEXw_wcB

Good news on the beer front. According to my friend the brewer, most of the gluten is used or left behind in the brewing process and only trace amounts remain in the finished product.

Good news on the beer front. According to my friend the brewer, most of the gluten is used or left behind in the brewing process and only trace amounts remain in the finished product.

Hmmm, I mean, I'm not a chemist, but celiacs don't drink regular beer so I wouldn't operate under the assumption that there's no gluten. Post-W30 of course with a gluten reintro it's going to be up to you regardless, but AFAIK for avoiding gluten in alcoholic beverages if you're not going the hard cider, wine or spirits route then your beer selection is going to be limited to the sorghum-based stuff.

Right, for celiacs even trace amounts can trigger a reaction. But to put things in perspective for non-celiacs, there is 1500 mg of gluten in a slice of wheat bread vs 1-95 mg in a pint of beer, depending on the beer. 

Rugarcia: Nice- thanks, I saw that one at Bed Bath and Beyond and considered it. After hearing everyone elses posts about not using theirs, I might try that small/inexpensive option to try it out.

We brew beer and wine (and now kombucha) in this small apt ;-). Many of the craft beers and homebrews we make are made with grains and steeped like tea bags in the pot when brewing. The malt (sugar) may be used up by the yeast in the fermentation process, but if you have a beer with grain as flavoring it would definitely not be gluten free. I guess it depends on if you are gluten sensitive or not. I cant drink any of our (oh so delicious) home brew anymore. I found making wine much more satisfying anyway :-D Oh lord that has been the hardest part of the W30- the fact that my coat closet is essentially a liquor store :-p. I am really enjoying brewing kombucha now too.

AmyS: Too funny! I guess Im expecting angels to sing when spiralizing zucchini as well...but alas, maybe not. I just use a julienne peeler now which is a pain but works. Maybe Ill save my $ and spend it on an immersion blender for mayo and dressings.

Good morning friends! Happy Day 29! I can't believe tomorrow is Day 30 already. I feel like that went by so fast! So, I had a crazily temptation filled weekend (a friend's daughter First Holy Communion on Saturday and a Mother's Day BBQ Sunday) however, it is really cool to be able to say that at both parties they made things especially so I can eat them! Leaving marinade off, adding a veggie platter, bottled water, etc. It was really great to be able to go to a get together and not have to worry about labels and food. 

I made mayo! It came out SOOOOO well! I used a Ninja, everything at room temp and slowwwwwwly poured in the oil and it was perfect! I put it in potato salad and no one could tell the difference. In fact, a few people asked for the recipe because they don't like traditional mayo but they loved mine! 

I am definitely adding a spiralizer to my list of kitchen accessories! Husband bought me the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid for Christmas and I haven't even used it yet (well not for pasta). Just in case if anyone wondered if you can use the cutter attachment on zucchini I am here to tell you that no, you can not. Holy pile of mush, Batman! Epic failure. 

I am excited to be able to say I made it through 30 days tomorrow! But I am not stopping either. I am going right in to a Whole 60. There is nothing I miss enough to re-intro. Plus, I really don't want to trade in how great I feel to risk feeling like ass. So I am going to keep on keepin on. 

Hope everyone has a great day today!

My husband and I were talking about the final days of my W30 over the weekend, and the difference that each of us takes in our approach to food and fitness. I remembered a blog that I read a few years ago, and realized that I am an abstainer...and he resists rigid rules in every area of his life, but lives very happily as a moderator.

I'm taking this knowledge with me as I plan for my reintroduction phase, and realizing that I might be best continuing to live in W30 mode, but with some of my own rules about how often I will "allow" myself to have something that isn't W30 compliant.

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

I had a food dream last night - in my dream I was out and there was no food available and I was hungry and I ate cereal and milk (emergency food in my dream, apparently!). I was mortified and wondered if I could really consider that I had done enough to do a reintro, or if I had to start over at Day One. It was a big deal. I was relieved to wake up, though I was kind of mad at myself when I first woke up. Ha!

Happy day 29!  One question I got yesterday was "what do you eat for breakfast if you can't have cereal and milk?"  like there's now way you could possibly eat anything else for breakfast.  LOL  Then they were shocked by eating eggs everyday like that's a crime to eat more than 3 eggs a week.  But I'm finally to the point where breakfast is just another meal.  This morning I had salmon and asperagus.

So I've decided that my next 30 days I'm going to continue what I'm doing and then also concentrate on exercise.  My plan is 3 times a week do something big like a kettlebell workout or yoga/strength training and then also everyday just try to be more active - whether its just going for a walk or gardening, and get outside more and enjoy the sunshine. But also listen to my body and rest when I need it.  I'm pretty out of shape so I know I need to push myself to get further but I don't want to push too far and injure myself either.  So with that I'm gonna start today and go do some kettlebell right now...  :)

• Administrators

We follow the w30 recipe and as ColradoGirl pointed out, a room temp egg, immersion blender, and very slow incorporation of the oil is key. We use 50% olive and 50% avocado oils. The ranch version is delicious and I use it to richen up many of my meals.

You can totally skip the slow drizzle and room temp egg if you are using an immersion blender. I just dump it all into a jar, stick the immersion blender in and run it, pulling it up slowly for about 20 seconds.  Works every time!

• Administrators

Rugarcia: Yes...beer has gluten in it. They do have gluten free beer, but I havent found one I like. :-/ Wine and hard apple ciders are gluten free.

I drink the Omission gluten free beer when not on Whole30.  They have an interesting story and very comprehensive testing of every batch that they make.  They come in a Lager and  Pale Ale.  I like them both but the Lager is the most like a typical craft beer.

Thank you for the article ncr!

I am 100% an abstainer. Which is the whole reason I am avoiding and resisting re-intro. I am just not an "in moderation" kind of girl. A french fry one day becomes a cheesesteak sub real fast and I don't want to go backwards. I am hoping after some time I will be able to say to myself, ok, you're on vacation. have a cookie, enjoy a french fry or a slice of pizza but I'll be able to go back home and go back to this. 

I do think an indulgence now and then is nice. There are so many things on Paleo websites, cookies, ice "cream", etc. that don't necessarily shove me back in to horrific eating habits but that may waken a beast that has been dormant for the last 29 days. I didn't realize the end of this would be harder than the beginning!

My husband and I were talking about the final days of my W30 over the weekend, and the difference that each of us takes in our approach to food and fitness. I remembered a blog that I read a few years ago, and realized that I am an abstainer...and he resists rigid rules in every area of his life, but lives very happily as a moderator.

I'm taking this knowledge with me as I plan for my reintroduction phase, and realizing that I might be best continuing to live in W30 mode, but with some of my own rules about how often I will "allow" myself to have something that isn't W30 compliant.

http://gretchenrubin.com/happiness_project/2012/10/back-by-popular-demand-are-you-an-abstainer-or-a-moderator/

Feliz 29! I'm one day behind you. Glad we all started when we did because I think we have a great group going here. Our thread is rightfully labeled HOT!

Thanks for sharing ncr. My lady and I have discussed this topic almost daily for that past month and it has been the most challenging part of w30 us. We were both fairly healthy, active moderators beforehand so w30 has seemed too strict for us. But on the other hand, we are close to people that haven't been able to moderate with things far more detrimental than food, so we are totally sensitive and understand abstinence as a path forward.

catching up on all the posts from the weekend (again). I used the spiralizer to make some sweet potato curly fries on Saturday. Baked them with some leftover bacon fat. NOMS. I had been making mayo with light OO and my food processor. Used avo oil this time and don't like it as much. but probably because i love the taste of OO.

@rugarcia, good info about gluten content in beer! I didn't realize it was that little.

I've found this thread to be very supportive and helpful. It's so nice having people going through the same thing as you to discuss, and having a couple of awesome mods to follow along was awesome!

I had a food dream last night - in my dream I was out and there was no food available and I was hungry and I ate cereal and milk (emergency food in my dream, apparently!). I was mortified and wondered if I could really consider that I had done enough to do a reintro, or if I had to start over at Day One. It was a big deal. I was relieved to wake up, though I was kind of mad at myself when I first woke up. 

Oy, these types of dreams have been frequent - and increasing - occurrences for me. I made a list yesterday of all the food I dreamed I accidentally ate or almost ate. Wine, cookies, cake, marshmallows, pita bread, stuffing (two different dreams!), honey... and I wake up from every one of them thinking "Phew, I didn't blow it!" I don't have a sugar dragon, I have a very creative carb demon...

ncr: Interesting! I never thought of it like that before, but I'm definitely an Abstainer! I'm much better at sticking to something if I'm 100% in! My "moderator" BF and family members think I'm weird...and "extreme" but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much of anything now that the end of the Whole30 tunnel is in sight! I'm much happier and calm with my food choices with the W30 rules in place- thinking, "I don't eat that anymore" than trying to have just a little and going overboard. Anyhoo...that was enlightening! 

Archived