Starting April 13th

Bridge125

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howdy folks! I'm in the middle of Day Two here, and so far so good.

I have done several WholeSomethings and in the most recent versions, I really challenged myself to prepare meals using recipes. This go-round I'm relaxing that. My main goal is to eat each meal according to the template, and with a minimum of fuss/preparation. So I'm batch-cooking proteins and veg and keeping easy fats on hand. Then I'll toss together a protein, a fat, and lots of veggies, and that's my meal. That's how I started on Whole30 way back when and it's a relief to get back to that simple approach.

So for instance, my lunch is wilted greens, sweet potato, tomatoes, avocado, and ground beef, with some balsamic vinegar, spices, and a small splash of EVOO. No one's gonna put that in a cook book, but I like all those foods individually and together and it was really easy to prepare. Phew!

Whoa! The fun has begun...got the killer headache and only on day 2! Bring it on!

I've been wanting to try home made mayo but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think that will be on my list of things to do tomorrow.

Hi everyone!  I had planned to start on April 13, but ended up starting on April 12 (Sunday) instead.  This will be my 3rd (successful) W30...my 5th "attempted".   :huh:

I have tried to plan this week for a lighter working schedule than usual, since I know from past experience how rough this first week can be.  I work from home (when I'm not traveling) which makes things easier when I'm home (than if I had to prep and plan for meals in an office environment) and more challenging when I am on the road (but I do the best I can to prep and plan in advance - I rely heavily on Nick's Sticks when I'm traveling!)

So, today was day 3 of this Whole30 for me.  

• Sunday was the typical Day 1 - "Whats the big deal?".  
  • Monday I had carb flu and then some!  Achey, tired, cranky, bad headache, and tired, tired, tired!  
  • This morning (Day 3) DH had to get to work much earlier than usual, so I was up early and thought I'd go back to bed but found I actually had some energy.  It all petered out by early afternoon, but honestly today was not as bad as I thought it would be.  Had a headache, and stil had the "carb flu" achiness and symptoms, but it could have been worse.

Benefits I've seen from past Whole30's that I'm looking forward to again:  

• Achiness in my hands and forearms (arthritis?) goes away - I'm probably less than a week from that
  • Eyesight gets better - in 2 weeks I probably won't need my reading glasses any more!
  • Skin clears up and absolutely GLOWS - give it another 2 weeks and I'll be there
  • Sleep like a rock - hoping to hit the good sleep by this weekend
  • Lots of energy during the day - and into the evening - I'll be more productive with home chores (I'll get stuff done in the evenings instead of not having the energy to manage anything more than sitting in front of the TV)  Maybe another week before I get there?
  • Clear-headed - my brain will start working better again and I'll be more productive at work.  I think this might actually be starting already - had a really great morning this morning
  • Anxiety will decrease to almost nothing (I used to take Rx meds for anxiety)
  • Headaches (migraines) will go away.  
  • I can see the decrease in inflammation - my eyes are less puffy and wrinkled when I get out of bed in the morning
  • Allergies will go away
  • Of course I want to lose weight - we'll see where I land in 30 days, but in the meantime, I'm looking forward for my clothes to start to fit again...I've put on some pudge, and EVERYTHING I own is currently tight.  

Ok, guess that's about enough for tonight.  So glad to be joining all of you on this 30-day (or more?) journey!!!   :wub:

Benefits I've seen from past Whole30's that I'm looking forward to again:

All of those benefits disappear between W30's? Have you made any permanent habit changes based on the results of the re-intro process?

Hi all! Hoping everyone had a successful Day 2 :-) I was asked by a good friend to go to the bar today after work and I politely rejected (plus I was heading to the gym). But I soooooo wanted to say yes!! Now that some time has passed Im glad I didnt go.

Having a few *ahem* digestive issues today. I had a gas "baby" all afternoon :-o. Going to go drink some water before bed. Good nite everyone!

Kirkor,

I would say that they take a while to go away, but they definitely do when I start eating the sugar, grains, and dairy again.  The good news is, the startup seems to be less painful this time around.  I'm only on day 3...but had a little bit of an energy surge today that surprised me!

Permanent changes?  I don't know that I can honestly say I've made permanent changes, but I think I do a better job of restricting some foods.  

I'm now very aware that dairy does me in.  I thought for years it was caffeine...turns out it was the milk I was putting in my coffee, not the coffee itself.  Having said that - it took me 3 W30's to completely remove the dairy (I don't have a problem with butter, and I can handle cheese a lot better than milk, cream, or ice cream)

I have HUGE issues with sugar.  I swear, if sugar was heroin, I would have died from overdose multiple times over.   :(   I am TRULY an addict when it comes to sugar, and I struggle with it every day.  

I don't think I have that much trouble with wheat/grains, but I also don't think that they're good for us. 

I think that dairy and wheat are my "most permanent" changes, but unfortunately, sugar is the one I NEED to make permanent, and the one I've not yet succeeded with.  

I suppose that just the knowledge is a good thing - and I think that "between" my W30s I've been better at avoiding it / eating less.  But seriously - if it was heroin, I'd be dead several times over.  That's a really sad commentary, isn't it?

Jomyke, I was astounded when I realized all of the wonderful "side effects" of doing a W30.  Last summer a did a "W100", and wish I had just continued.  I gave in to that demon sugar (lemon bars, one of my favorites), thought I was ready and "could handle it".  Not so much.  It was a downhill spiral.  

You'll be amazed as you get past the 30 days, and you take stock of the changes.  It is truly unbelievable.

Ok, made it through Day 2.  Definitely rockin' a headache all day and went to bed at 8:30.  Still I feel motivated and on track.  I am going to get out and get some exercise this morning, which I haven't had the energy for over the last two days.  Tonight's challenge - a cocktail reception at our house.  I am going to have to stay away from some of the food and drinks, for sure.  But I definitely made sure that some of the food is whole 30 approved.

Great to see so many others finding the motivation to change their relationship with food (and wine).  Good luck on Day 3.

Erika here reporting on Day 1 (I started yesterday).  One day in the books.  My first Whole30.

Breakfast - 3 eggs with spinach and salsa, 1/2 avocado

Lunch - slow-cooked Italian pork roast (Melissa Joulwan), sweet potatoes, broccoli.

Dinner - Chocolate Chili (again Melissa) with spaghetti squash.

This morning I feel better physically.  I'm pretty tired but I usually am this time of year ... hair-raisingly busy for me.  Today is my first try at packing up food and taking it with me (including coconut milk for my coffee) rather than just picking up whatever's convenient.

I did eat a LOT of crap before I started this, so I wonder if I will get the backlash today ... 

Let's all remember to stay hydrated today, folks! The recommendation is to take half your bodyweight (in pounds) and drink that in ounces. For me it's easiest to just make sure I fill my Nalgene bottle 3 times.

bj6S2fx.jpg

Morning! I was hung-a-ry this morning!! :-o I haven't been hungry in the morning in a long time- so something is shifting :D I feel "lighter" this morning. Just sort of waiting for the headache to hit...maybe it won't and that would be great! 

Thanks for the reminder, Kirkor~ I struggle with getting enough water.

Have a great day everyone!

Hey, I'm Laurie, my sister in Texas got me interested in this plan but I am a vegan. I looked up the details wanting to get ready ahead of time, and then yesterday I looked back again at the shopping list for vegetarians/vegans and they had changed it! ( check it out format is even different from other specialty lists)

Anyway they took stuff away. I had been reading stuff in forum about, burgers, made out of tofu, black beans, etc.... None of that stuff is on the list, no beans, no tofu... The day before it said, I thought, lentils, and a variety of beans outlined in the book. Or something close to that. I am a vegan. No meat. What am i gonna eat. I need to do this because I have a sneaking suspicion I have leaky gut syndrome but with no vegan protein, it will be very difficult to be a long term solution.

I am a vegan. No meat. What am i gonna eat. I need to do this because I have a sneaking suspicion I have leaky gut syndrome but with no vegan protein, it will be very difficult to be a long term solution.

You can still drop wheat, corn, sugar, dairy, etc. and see improvements in your health, it just won't be an official "Vegetarian Whole30".  The full benefits from the program as designed really do occur by also nixing soy and legumes (and including animal protein).

I love hearing about past and current success stories. Keeps me motivated. I know it's only day 3, but if there is one thing I struggle with, it's staying the course.

I noticed during my first (failed) attempt that my taste buds really changed as the sugar/sweeteners left my system. This morning I was drinking a cup of tea with a spoonful of coconut milk (yes, the good organic nonsweetened stuff), and I swear it tasted glorious to me, even a little sweet. Is it possible that I'm already tasting things better this soon?

Thanks for the water advice, Kirkor - I need that these days. When I get busier, I drink less water.

Feeling the effects of dropping sugar (I was REALLY enjoying a few days of sugar before I started this round - way more than I usually consume) today. For me it's not a carb flu, it's feeling very tired and anxious. Looking forward to a good day of eating and as much relaxing as possible (haha on the relaxing but a gal can dream, eh?).

Hi all,

Glad to hear everyone is going strong out of the blocks. I started yesterday (4/14) and feel fine today. This is my second attempt. I made it through a week on my first attempt but called it quits because my athletic performance went down the drain and that was more important at the time. Going through that first attempt has sure made things easier this time around. I know what to eat, what sneaky ingredients to look out for, how to enjoy black coffee, and what to expect in the first week. Similar to the first time around, I'm feeling an uptick in morning mental clarity. I know days 3 and 4 will be rougher.

Hang in there!

Feeling the effects of dropping sugar (I was REALLY enjoying a few days of sugar before I started this round - way more than I usually consume) today. For me it's not a carb flu, it's feeling very tired and anxious. 

Amy,

I'm with you on the anxiety - I'm AMAZED at what I difference I feel emotionally (anxiety and depression both) when I am not eating sugar or processed foods.  I hate that I was on anxiety meds for over a decade after my son was born only to find out about a year and a half ago (after doing my first W30) that the anxiety and depression were actually a combined result of the thyroid meds my doc put me on and the sugar/grains consumption.  I hate that I struggled through the side-effects of multiple mdications for years to treat side effects of  my food choices and other medications (for thyroid, which I since learned that I didn't need to be on!!!) 

Guess I should count my blessings and be thankful that I finally did figure it out!   :P

Day 3 went well for me. Made tacos for dinner and while I was eating my ground beef and salsa on a salad I was fine with everyone else using taco shells, shredded cheese, tortilla chips. Sure I would've loved to have some too but something about these hard set rules make it easier then when I've ever tried to diet before. I'd always find myself making excuses as to why it was ok or why I deserved it. Not this time, it's not in the rules then I don't eat it. I need this simplicity. Let's hope this lasts, I'm nervous about the coming weekend. I have a communion party to attend on Saturday and a going away brunch on Sunday...but I will be prepared and I will follow the rules! Glad everyone else seems to be doing well too! Hope you don't mind but I'm going to track down you instagramers, I love the motivation it provides. You can find me at "nikkincs" ....I'm not very original with my name ;)

Kirkor, I HAVE been drinking ALL the water this time and it's made a huge difference for the better. 

Maybe because it's my third time around, but i've felt fantastic from the get-go. And I had been eating pretty miserably leading up to it. Day three and my pants are looser, my energy is better, and so very happy that I finally came to my senses and went for it again. 

I have a similar issue with anxiety as AmyS and Ladybugbutt when I decrease my refined carb and sugar intake. (I have anxiety meds but I dont take them bc they wreck havoc w my digestive system). I was feeling super anxious today- and I ate too much food in general and especially fruit today :-/ Not a total disaster- but Im just delaying my body turning to fat for fuel. Off to drink some herbal tea before bed! :-)

Oh..and I am soooo *gassy* still... ugh...painful! That can go away anytime now :-o

Hey everyone, I started on Monday too.  I'd done a week, but went away for the weekend.  None of the food was completely compliant, so although I did the best I could I'm starting again so I get the full 30 days proper.  This is my first Whole30 and I'm hoping to get more energy and kick that sugar habit.  I've just been looking through the posts, glad to see a couple of others that struggle with sugar...it's a tough one and I'll be glad of some support.

I wanted to ask what to do about sugar cravings??  Is there anything I can eat that will help??

Archived