Starting April 13th

Bridge125

Oh my! I'm realizing that my Whole30 is much needed, because I'm suffering from the grumpies today! I must have been eating a lot more sugar than I admitted to myself. Oof!

Me too, Amy! I  knew I had gotten far, far off the rails in the past several months, but these last couple of days have really brought home just how much my dietary missteps really affect my personality! This is also why I like this forum so much - I know I'm not suffering alone through this.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully, both headache and grumpies seem to have passed. Feeling better today, and as usual, really enjoying the food. I've done many Whole30s or longer WholeSomethings, but I've never done the full reintroduction period, and I'm planning on that this time around - it's really what I'm most excited about. But today feels good.

This is an enlightening presentation by endocrinologist Robert Lustig, from one of the leading medical institutions in the U.S., on the similarities of sugar to alcohol. It's 1.5 hrs long but you don't have to watch the whole thing to get the gist of the science. Sugar is as toxic to the body as alcohol.

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2010/03/3222/ucsf-lecture-sugar-and-obesity-goes-viral-experts-confront-health-cri

Thanks for the share rugarcia!

A lot of people have been asking my motivation, and I tell them a few snipits about resetting my insulin levels and taming my sweet tooth. But the kicker for me really is that my dad quit drinking 5 years ago. His sobriety is my inspiration to quit sugar and cocktails for 30 days. 30 days. He has done it every day for 5 years. Cheers (club soda in hand) !!   :D

happy day 8 guys!!

how are you all feeling?

did you make it through the weekend?

i did great AND also went to the restaurant and found good options for the whole30 and asked a lot of questions!

i loved it!

still don't have the crazy energy ppl are talking about…feeling like i was to nap very often but im never hungry and im loving the food!

hows everyone doing?

Im tired today (and super hungry)...probably from my 12 mi jog yesterday. Im just making sure my food is compliant but Ive already had 3 meals and 1 snack today :-p. I was so buzzing yesterday with energy...today I just want a nap and a candy bar (but I resisted and had my larabar instead). Now...back to work so I can go home and take that nap, lol.

• Administrators

Im tired today (and super hungry)...probably from my 12 mi jog yesterday. Im just making sure my food is compliant but Ive already had 3 meals and 1 snack today :-p. I was so buzzing yesterday with energy...today I just want a nap and a candy bar (but I resisted and had my larabar instead). Now...back to work so I can go home and take that nap, lol.

Holy smokes, 12 miles!  Are you training for something?  That's impressive!

Just a tip, if you are trying to kill off a candy bar demon (or even just a general sugar and cravings dragon), giving it a Larabar is the equivilant as far as your brain is concerned.  It pitched a fit for sweets and you gave it sweets. Not a win for you but a feather in your dragon's cap.  :(

Are you fuelling extra in light of your runs? Pre and post workout meals? If you're consistently running these distances you probably need either three really huge meals or four regular sized ones I would think.

Training for a half marathon in May ;-). I dont usually have lara bars (I hear ya on the sugar demon with those!) but I just felt like I needed more carbs today- I dont think I ate enough sweet potato after my run yesterday. I woke up at 5 am with my stomach growling! I only do long runs once a week maximum :). I think a bigger post workout snack and meal would have helped. Ill have to change that up next time for sure to avoid the day-after hungry horrors Im having today :-o.

• Administrators

Training for a half marathon in May ;-). I dont usually have lara bars (I hear ya on the sugar demon with those!) but I just felt like I needed more carbs today- I dont think I ate enough sweet potato after my run yesterday. I woke up at 5 am with my stomach growling! I only do long runs once a week maximum :). I think a bigger post workout snack and meal would have helped. Ill have to change that up next time for sure to avoid the day-after hungry horrors Im having today :-o.

There's a whole buncha science behind it but something like a date-nut bar is not the best source of carbs.  You're going to get the biggest bang for your buck from starchy veggies as opposed to dried fruits or even fresh ones.  Also keep in mind that if you ate lower on the day before or the day of the long run it's going to be much harder to make up for.  

Thanks, Ladyshanny! Cool...yeah, I try and stay away from lara bar-ish snacks in general (I used to make my own until I noticed they are like SWYPO for me! Like Id eat a weeks worth in 2-3 days). I definitely did not eat enough starchy carb veggies yesterday. Im just gonna have to take today as a learning experience bc I am sure feeling the "harder to make up for it" now :-p. Im thinking of stopping at the store on my way home for bacon wrapped asparagus! And more sweet potatoes!!

This morning I slept late and ended up skipping breakfast...  Probably not a good idea because now this afternoon I am super tired and hungry, and I feel the grumpies are aproaching!  But I'm staying strong!  Gonna have a nice dinner very soon and I'll try to go to bed early.  I have a pork shoulder roast in the crock pot!  So excited for dinner!

The past week/weekend was a little crazy so I've been MIA from the forum, but I have been on track with Whole30!

It's great to skim through the posts and see all of the interesting, helpful, and motivating comments. I missed you guys! ha

I joined a gym last week and have been going every day so I've been sore for about five days now haha! Hurts so good. After being practically sedentary (rehabilitating a torn meniscus and rolled ankle) for about five months, it feels great to be active again. I completed my first Whole30 during the time that I was not exercising, so this time around my biggest challenge is figuring out how best to incorporate pre- and/or post-workout meals, while still cutting out sugar (fruits) and carbs (sweet potatoes, starchy veg) to achieve ketosis (my main goal this W30). So far, it's been pretty tough for me to avoid the carbs, but luckily I have not been craving the fruit, perhaps because I didn't eat fruit during my first W30 either. 

I got The Whole30 book today- a pleasant surprise as I was expecting it to arrive Tuesday. Can't wait to check out the recipes!

One last thing before my head hits the pillow... I am so excited for everyone who is staying committed to the Whole30. The rewards are innumerable. I re-read my success story from round 1 and I was reminded of all the great things we have to look forward to. This program is truly the best thing I've ever stumbled upon, and I'm so glad that I've been able to share it- I now have three friends joining me! 

Cheers to creating healthy habits! :wub:  

The past week/weekend was a little crazy so I've been MIA from the forum, but I have been on track with Whole30!

Terrific! Out there rocking W30 in the real world!

I'm so glad that I've been able to share it- I now have three friends joining me!

N5ND6Gi.jpg

Oh dear! I've just been invited out to dinner Sun night to a place I've never been. Going to see if I can find a website and prepare myself ahead of time for what to order. Any tips? Might even sneak some salad dressing in my purse...

Just finishing up my lunch, and thought I'd share a recipe. I discovered this Paleo Sweet Potato Chili when I did my first Whole 30 attempt in September, and I've made it a zillion times since. It calls for ground beef or bison, but I highly recommend using a good quality, not-too-lean ground beef. I have made it with bison and with ground turkey, and the flavor really suffers when you use very lean meat. It's great for lunches, and I usually throw it in a container along with some sauteed kale to up the veggies. I'm actually eating it with brussel sprouts today, and that works too!

I'm feeling really good today. No headache or stomach troubles. I wouldn't say I have extra energy, but I certainly have improved mood.  :D

Jomkye: Thats the best thing...check out their website ahead of time! (Although I havent eaten out in this whole 30 yet...let us know how it goes). I found these small silicone salad dressing containers at Bed Bath and Beyond (with all the lunchbox stuff) :-)

Yay, Lulah for sticking with it and recruiting friends! My work friends at lunch today were just like, "Would you like a cookie...oh wait, no you eat weird. Nevermind". Lol. They arent too open about it.

I had a huge dinner last night and I made sure to include sweet potato with my lunch and dinner today- which has helped my energy level-long run recovery. Im not crazy hungry like yesterday. Im just feeling a little motivational blahs. My new Whole30 book has shipped but wont get here till Th/Friday. Maybe some new recipes will spark up my enthisiasm/motivation. Anyone else feeling this motivational lull (maybe this is why people most often quit Day 10ish)?

Thanks ColoradoGirl!  I checked out the menu and it looks like there will be a few good things to choose from, yay! 

I got my new Whole30 book today!  So excited to read it!  This will give me even more motivation to keep going :)

tdelillo, that chili recipe looks good! 

I made it through my slumpy afternoon. :-) Im jealous of all you guys who got your books already. Oh well...good things come to those who wait (or thats just what Im telling myself). :-)

I might try tdelillo's Chili Recipe this week :-) Im glad to hear you are feeling better too!!

Just got back from crossfit. Refueling with some egg white and sweet potato. Have a good night everyone! One more sleep till double digit day 10!

happy DAY 10! we are one third of the way through! last night I went to trivia night with my friends at a bar that has delicious tacos and margaritas. I ate beforehand so I wasn't hungry when I got there, and ordered a club soda with lime.  The worst part was when they brought out the reuben my friend sitting next to me ordered and it smelled soooooo good! out of curiosity I asked one of the servers what kind of oil they fry with, and he replied, "vegetable." gee, thanks! 

have a great day :)

I tripped and fell on my whole30 journey. So today is a restart day for me. Found myself away from my prepared whole30-compliant lunch in the office, off-site for several hours and taken out to lunch by my boss. I was just so hungry by the time we walked into the taco place that I picked the first thing on the menu - it had cheese and grains and NO veggies anywhere in sight! I made up for the no veggies at supper, but still. Cheese. And a flour tortilla. So, back to square one today. Bummer. -_-

I tripped and fell on my whole30 journey. So today is a restart day for me. Found myself away from my prepared whole30-compliant lunch in the office, off-site for several hours and taken out to lunch by my boss. I was just so hungry by the time we walked into the taco place that I picked the first thing on the menu 

I totally sympathize. You could have handled the first part - being off-site and cut off from your intended lunch - by having an emergency purse stash of nuts or lara bars, but it's hard to say "No thanks, I'll eat this stuff off the bottom of my purse" when the boss offers to buy you lunch. Just yesterday I had a work mentor email me to invite me to lunch next week. I'm glad it was email, because it took me forever to draft a response where I could politely suggest we meet for coffee instead. I don't know her well enough to invite her into the wacky world of Whole 30. ;) Oh, and I know I could probably have researched restaurant possibilities, but frankly, I find dining out during the whole30 more trouble than it's worth. If I have to, I have to, but if I have a choice, I'm going to eat the delicious stuff I've painstakingly prepared myself!

Archived