Starting April 13th

Bridge125

I'm pleased to hear W30 is working well enough for some of you to inspire longer goals. This is an experiment for me, so I'm just taking it one day at a time, noting any differences, and only after it's all said and done, can I decide what's next. The past weekend sums up my W30 experience thus far. I'm not trying to be negative, just honest.

We stayed home again this weekend ... because it's challenging to go out into a world that is 99.9% non-W30 compliant. Instead we worked out, meal planned, prepped, grilled, read the forums, reflected, and planned some more. After a tasty steak and cole slaw dinner Saturday, an intense sweet craving kicked in that spiraled into a psychological battle I continue to have with myself. Why am I doing this? Since I started W30, I've isolated myself from my friends and family, spent too much time obsessing what I'm going to eat next and whether I will have enough energy to get through the day. Not to mention, my play on the soccer field has been lousy. I ate mostly paleo beforehand, play on three soccer teams, am in great shape, all while getting to enjoy the things I love (pizza, burgers on buns, craft beer, scones, cookies). Am I trying to fix something that isn't broken? Is W30 sustainable in the long run? Is it really only accessible to the privileged? Is it just another diet fad attempting to strip me of my rich culinary heritage? Or is this just the sugar dragon conjuring up doubt to get a bag of chocolate covered pretzels?

Had to remind myself why I started. I want to get control over my sweet tooth, not feel like I need something sweet every day. I want to be able to have two cookies instead of the whole package. This is a good way to test my body's reaction to eliminating dairy, sugar and grains. I also got my lady into this mess in the first place and I can't quit on her now. It's only 30 days after all. Happy day 15! Apologies for the long post/rant.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a tasty steak and cole slaw dinner Saturday, an intense sweet craving kicked in that spiraled into a psychological battle I continue to have with myself. Why am I doing this? Since I started W30, I've isolated myself from my friends and family, spent too much time obsessing what I'm going to eat next and whether I will have enough energy to get through the day. Not to mention, my play on the soccer field has been lousy. I ate mostly paleo beforehand, play on three soccer teams, am in great shape, all while getting to enjoy the things I love (pizza, burgers on buns, craft beer, scones, cookies). Am I trying to fix something that isn't broken? Is W30 sustainable in the long run? Is it really only accessible to the privileged? Is it just another diet fad attempting to strip me of my rich culinary heritage? Or is this just the sugar dragon conjuring up doubt to get a bag of chocolate covered pretzels?

Hi rugarcia-

I'm sorry to read that you are having a negative experience with this. I also am sad to see you have isolated yourself from friends and family. Might I suggest that you may be taking this just a tad too seriously? I think you may be allowing food to run your life a little bit and that is really a habit we are all here to break. There is no reason to isolate yourself. In fact, I find myself spreading the word. I had a great weekend with my family this weekend and while there were temptations (of course) I didn't feel like I could not participate in family time. I just brought what I would eat. I prepared dinner for my family. And honestly just resigned to "they'll eat what they're eating and I will eat what I am eating".

I am not a big drinker at all (hardly ever) so I can't really understand the need for having a beer with my buddies. However, I do go to bars. I go out to concerts, etc. We had a BBQ this weekend and while everyone was drinking I had water. I was still part of the group, the conversation, and the great time I just didn't go against my choice. 

Perhaps that is the most important thing to remember. This is a choice. We all have a choice whether or not to do this and we really don't owe anything to anyone but ourselves. If you do decide to stick with it I hope that you find things getting better/easier for you. No one likes to be told NO when they truly want something but that is really what slaying that sugar dragon is all about. You have to continue to deny it for it to go away. 

RoseyCheeks:  I wouldn't say I'm having a negative experience. I am enjoying many aspects, like the small positive changes in my sleep,

AM mental clarity, and most of all knowing that I'm eating sooo clean. Also enjoy reading everyone's personal stories, motivations and victories.

For myself, I just don't know that being such a rigorous eater post W30 is feasible or worth it. My family and friends love to gather around

good food and drinks often. I don't have it in me to show up at a friend's home with dietary restrictions or my own food, or explain to my 80 year old

grandma that I can no longer eat her grain heavy and fried home cooked Colombian meals. I can easily do this for 30 days but not in the long term.

I am not convinced that giving up my many small pleasures really make a big difference in the long run, for someone as active as I am. But who knows,

I may wake up with tiger blood tomorrow and be singing a different song.

I'm pleased to hear W30 is working well enough for some of you to inspire longer goals. This is an experiment for me, so I'm just taking it one day at a time, noting any differences, and only after it's all said and done, can I decide what's next. The past weekend sums up my W30 experience thus far. I'm not trying to be negative, just honest.

We stayed home again this weekend ... because it's challenging to go out into a world that is 99.9% non-W30 compliant. Instead we worked out, meal planned, prepped, grilled, read the forums, reflected, and planned some more. After a tasty steak and cole slaw dinner Saturday, an intense sweet craving kicked in that spiraled into a psychological battle I continue to have with myself. Why am I doing this?

I totally agree and have been having these thoughts, especially once I realized there is sugar in Lawry's Salt which I used to season a steak last night. After feeling ridiculous scraping it off, I thought the same thing, What the heck?! But you're right, it is only 30 days. I was in Target and cruised by the food aisles, again, it's only 30 days. My dad's girlfriend brought scrumptious stuffed mushrooms last night to dinner, sorry, it's only 30 days. That's been my mantra, and it has helped. I have had 2 low key weekends but I was kind of social. It helped to have an activity planned, shopping, church, 5k, but mostly I was low key, and that's fine with me. I feel a bit discouraged right now because I feel fluffy but I'm hoping I will make it another couple days and feel more myself. I am in it to rid my sweet tooth too, so far, I really haven't been crazy without chocolate, but I do occasionally feel a small crave and grab a couple of macadamia nuts. 

Sorry for the rant, but yes, I totally get where you're coming from. It's not that food is controlling everything, but it is a big adjustment.

I'm really enjoying the different perspectives being shared here. @rugarcia really made me think about how the whole30 experience varies from person to person, for a whole slew of reasons. For example, I'm an introvert married to another introvert. We don't have an active social life, so it's pretty easy to spend a month not going out much :) That said, I did go to a comedy show Friday night, and thought for sure I would be tempted to drink, but I was shocked that I just didn't care. At all.

Also, the comment "spent too much time obsessing what I'm going to eat next" - for me it's the opposite. I'm spending way LESS time being food-obsessed. Because I've spent years restricting my diet in one way or another for the purposes of weight loss, I was either fantasizing about something I wasn't "supposed" to have, or painstakingly planning out how many calories/points/etc. I could eat that day. After just a few days of whole30, I found myself thinking about food in a much more emotionally-neutral, abstract way, as in "Hmmm, do I have enough veggies in the house? Probably need to go to the store tomorrow". Actually, that's the best part of this so far (besides the obscene amounts of mayo), and what is keeping me motivated.

Tdelillo, fellow introvert here, yep married to one too so we don't have much of a social life either. So it was an odd thing for me to go out to dinner last night with people other than my husband. But yeah I did fine, not tempted at all by what everyone else was eating or drinking. I can certainly understand how it can be totally hard though for some people! Food and family go hand in hand!

But yeah, I would rather not have to do AIP as that's a list of some really great foods I would have to take out. But I'm keeping an open mind and would be willing to do it if following whole30(or 60) doesn't bring enough results for my issues. I just want to get healthy so if that's what it takes, then so be it :)

Half way point guys!! We rock!!!

Question, did you all go through the "Woah my pants feel tight" phase? I mean I do have hefty meals of veggies and have been good at no snacking and work out about 6 times a week.... but yeah, starting a couple days ago I feel kinda fluffy....?

Oh I finally figured out how to do the quote thing...lol. I went through a few days this past week feeling a bit bigger too. Seems to have gone down now though, so hang in there. So tempting to step on the scale and see for sure, but I'm trying to stay off!

Has anyone noticed a decreased appetite? I couldn't finish my lunch today and dinner I ate less than half of my normal portion.

I wish, my portion sizes have gone from normal to full on beast plates (mostly veggies). My goal this week is to increase the size of my breakfast and kick the apple or handful of nuts I've been having as a snack between lunch and dinner. Would like to eliminate fruit and nuts for the remaining 15 days.

Has anyone noticed a decreased appetite? I couldn't finish my lunch today and dinner I ate less than half of my normal portion.

It depends on what I am eating. I notice with a more starchy veggie (sweet or white potatoes, pumpkin, eggplant) that I tend to get fuller faster. I also though notice when I eat these things I stay fuller longer. 

I have definitely stopped with the fruit in the morning. It does so much more for me to consume it after lunch which gives me a nice little boost in the afternoon or after dinner which really comes in handy to keep my energy up high for my run. But I am always eating it in conjunction with a protein and veggies and I try not to let it run a better choice off my plate. I also try not to just do plain fruit. I like to mix it up with anti-oxidants like berries and good fat like raw coconut and raw cashews and almonds. I also limit it to 1-2 times a week. Which is why frozen things like strawberries and cherries has been helpful so I don't risk it all going bad. 

What did everyone do for breakfast this morning? I've realized that it has become my most important meal. It really sets up my whole day. To think I used to frequently skip breakfast is crazy to me now. Today I had half of a sweet potato sauteed with mushrooms, peppers and onions, a link of Bilinski's mild Italian chicken sausage, two eggs and some avocado. It was delicious!!!

Rugarcia: Just a thought...are you eating enough starchy carbs (potato, plantains) and fat? I have added just a small amount of starchy carbs on days Im exercising at each meal- with my huge mound of veggies- and about half an avocado. Ive been able to feel pretty good now with my workouts with the added carb and extra fat. I can relate to some of the things you are saying. I definitely obsess over food over the weekend- but I plan and do a weekly cookup on Sat/Sun so my whole week is planned so Im finding I obsess less day to day. (I started carrying epic or lara bars with me all the time so I have a snack in case). I started going out a few times with friends and I drank unsweetened iced tea or club soda w lime and a few olives from the bar. Im finding Im focusing more on socializing with friends is the focus and not so much the booze.

I exercise far too much to still be overweight- and my health issues are improving- so Im having an opposite issue of wondering how I will sustain this long term. Im excited and at the same time afraid (? Not sure that is the correct emotion)....I know another piece of chocolate and wine will pass my lips. Im trying to relax and figure Ill figure out what foods help/hinder my health and try to eliminate the ones that hinder. Maybe save the wine and chocolate for holidays/special occasions. (I digress....but Ive also had the "Why the hell am I doing this" phase)

I've realized that it has become my most important meal. It really sets up my whole day.

I think one of the benefits to a real breakfast in the morning is the fact that it makes you pause a little bit and kinda get your ducks in a row. I'm not even talking about full-on mindful eating as we should be doing on Whole30, but just that act of making & preparing something forces us to not just wake up and rush out the door. Ya, there's quicker options like microwaving eggs, and some mornings with gym sessions or other commitments maybe we've got to eat leftovers on the go, but in general I think there's value in the time-taking aspect of cooking a "real" breakfast. It's a little gift you can give yourself and your family.

Rugarcia: This also resonates with me when you said, "I am not convinced that giving up my many small pleasures really make a big difference in the long run, for someone as active as I am." I think the kid in my is throwing a tantrum because Ive been running half marathons and crossfitting 3-4 days a week (resting 1-2 days/wk) for a year and a half and Im still 25 lbs overweight.I feel like I should be able to go and have some beers on Fri night and burger/fries on Saturdays and eat what I want in moderation. But maybe I have more sensitivities to foods and I need to be more diligent than someone else has to be (and the kid in me says thats not fair!!! LOL). We are all different...and we have to figure out the best for us :)

• Administrators

What did everyone do for breakfast this morning? I've realized that it has become my most important meal. It really sets up my whole day. To think I used to frequently skip breakfast is crazy to me now. Today I had half of a sweet potato sauteed with mushrooms, peppers and onions, a link of Bilinski's mild Italian chicken sausage, two eggs and some avocado. It was delicious!!!

YAY! This is one of the biggest problems that new folks have, trusting our recommendations enough to try and eat breakfast and really formulate it to the template. So glad to hear that you are now on The Breakfast Bandwagon. Be a poster child for all the new folks who come here and don't quite believe that breakfast within an hour of waking is critical to their day!

YUM! Yeah breakfast was a big change for me. For probably 6 months I was having a smoothie every morning with chocolate protein powder, peanut butter, berries and almond milk. Talk about a sugar hit! It was working, I mean I was having more protein, but the intense sugar and peanut butter threw me into my Sugar Dragon from the get go. During the Whole30 I have totally switched. My breakfast is now the Sunrise Scramble from WellFed2. Amazing. Ground turkey, cooked with diced apple and sweet potato and a cinnamon spice mix (sunrise spice). I make at least 5 servings of this at the beginning of the week, then each morning eat a serving with cooked spinach, jalapenos and two fried eggs. Sometines a couple of berries, and occasionally a small spoon of almond butter. Talk about a hefty breakfast. But as a teacher, I eat breakfast at 645-7AM, and lunch is at 1230, so the bigger breakfast helps rid my need to snack and gets me to lunch ready to eat.

I think breakfast is the most important meal of the day too.  It really sets me up for a good day and satisfies for a long time.  Now this morning I'm running late and got busy doing other things and almost forgot about breakfast!  It's after 10am and just now having something to eat.  It will be interesting to see if this will throw me off for the day.  I usually have 3 eggs, veggies and ghee.  But today I just heated up some of last nights dinner...ground beef and cabbage.

Love all the discussion here!  It's interesting to read all the different perspectives.  I'm totally jealous of the ones that work out all the time.  I think I need a group like this but for exercize so I have the tough love, no excuses, kind of feel to it.  I'm so out of shape and still lacking the energy.  But it's a beautiful day outside so I am at least going to go for a walk today!!

I'm totally jealous of the ones that work out all the time. I think I need a group like this but for exercize so I have the tough love, no excuses, kind of feel to it. I'm so out of shape and still lacking the energy. But it's a beautiful day outside so I am at least going to go for a walk today!!

I walk almost everyday!!! It's seriously the best exercise! I also keep a step counter on during the day and aim for 10,000 steps a day. Anything to keep my metabolism going.

I definitely have, the last couple of days. Last night I ate a somewhat smaller dinner, and today my lunch seemed like way too much, so probably another small-ish dinner tonight. I'm being careful not to dial it back too much because the satiety is what's keeping the cravings away, but yeah, it feels like my body wants less.

Speaking of cravings, I had the weirdest sudden desire for a big glass of lemonade this morning. Like, the thick sugary kind made from concentrate. Normally I don't care a bit for lemonade. The Sugar Dragon is getting creative, I guess....

Regarding breakfast, I find myself eating (and loving) variations on this:

• I cook spinach in ghee
  • add 3 eggs and scramble it
  • throw it in a big bowl with 1/2 apple (diced)
  • mix in a dollop of mayo or some pesto for added fat/flavor.

When I don't eat that, I usually eat leftover dinner food. Hey, meatloaf is just as tasty at 7:30 a.m. as it is at 7:30 p.m.!

Archived