Starting April 13th

Bridge125

Hi folks!  Day 2 in the bag.  I was tired and super cranky.  Today feels a bit better so far ...

B: Hot plate with ground beef, broccoli, coconut oil, onion, garlic, italian seasoning

L: Chocolate chili with spaghetti squash

D: 2 chicken thighs, green beans, sweet potatoes, coconut oil.  I was still hungry an hour later so I had some pork roast and broccoli drizzled with olive oil.

Laurie, I'll be interested to hear how you adapt Whole30 to a vegan diet.

kirkor, thanks for the water advice - I will take it!
tdelillo, I am also appreciating the great taste of this food.  So maybe it is possible that we are reprogramming our taste buds already!

AmyS, so it wasn't just me feeling tired and anxious ... hope today is better for you!

Jomyke, glad you had a better day!!

rugarcia and others who have been through this before - thank you for sharing your experience - I feel like there is hope for me  :)

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to ask what to do about sugar cravings??  Is there anything I can eat that will help??

Toughing it out is the best sustainable strategy. Need to starve the Sugar Dragon to kill it, as the saying goes.

Happy Day 4 everyone!  Is anyone having crazy food dreams yet?  I always have crazy dreams, but none about weird foods so far! Day 2 was the worst for me but yesterday and so far today I have felt pretty good. I have discovered that avocado plus chopped up hard boiled egg is the best breakfast ever.  What I am still craving are cold sugary coffee drinks, and ice cream.  I realized yesterday that the vitamin C supplement I've been taking for YEARS - EmergenC - has sugar in it. duh!  

Thanks kirkor, about the tip for drinking more water.  I will try that today and see if I can slay this headache.  CaitlinI, you give me hope for a quick recovery if you are feeling good from the get go.  

I got through my core power sculpt class this morning.  It wasn't pretty but I love the workout and a good sweat always feels good.  It also felt good to snarf down some sweet potato that I made earlier, so my energy doesn't crash.  

Good luck with day 4 everyone.  

I am feeling pretty good here on day 4. I had a slight headache all day yesterday, which I figured was carb withdrawal. So last night I made a tuna waldorf salad (with apples, coconut flakes, chopped cashews and a few raisins in addition to the tuna, celery, mayo) and had that for breakfast, and I feel fabulous. Not a meal I want to have too often, but I figured it was better to have a few compliant carbs than to try to be extreme and end up derailing myself. I haven't really had any cravings, because I don't DESIRE any sweets, but I'll have these moments where I can vividly imagine what a pastry or something tastes like. It's like the mind is trying to tempt me, but the body doesn't care ;)

I need probiotics in a big way because I've been on antibiotics, so I bought some Bubbies saurkraut yesterday. Holy heck, that stuff is DELICIOUS. It sounds weird, but I mixed it with mayo and tossed it with protein and romaine for a darn tasty salad.

Hey! I am a few days behind you all, but I am on Day 2! I wanted to start on Tuesday, but then realized that my sunflower seed butter had sugar cane in it. Oops! So Wednesday, no sunflower seed butter, full steam ahead. It is my first Whole30 and it was something I really wanted to try this year. I have a few wedding showers that I am anxious about attending. We have a very social group of friends, wine, cocktails, dinners, but I want to rise to the occasion and not drink. Also, I went semi-strict paleo starting last summer and lost several pounds quickly. I stopped missing bread and pasta. I knew that doing the Whole30 would be the next step, time to detach from chocolate, peanut butter, cream in my coffee, and wine. So far so good. Keep in touch everyone! What's working? What motivations do you give yourself? Also, P dot S, it is hard to not step on the scale, but hopefully I will feel liberated.

Cheers.

Oh my! I'm realizing that my Whole30 is much needed, because I'm suffering from the grumpies today! I must have been eating a lot more sugar than I admitted to myself. Oof!

Kirkor, my water bottle is right here next to me!

Meals fine, sleep very good.

I am feeling pretty good here on day 4. I had a slight headache all day yesterday, which I figured was carb withdrawal. So last night I made a tuna waldorf salad (with apples, coconut flakes, chopped cashews and a few raisins in addition to the tuna, celery, mayo) and had that for breakfast, and I feel fabulous. Not a meal I want to have too often, but I figured it was better to have a few compliant carbs than to try to be extreme and end up derailing myself. I haven't really had any cravings, because I don't DESIRE any sweets, but I'll have these moments where I can vividly imagine what a pastry or something tastes like. It's like the mind is trying to tempt me, but the body doesn't care ;)

I need probiotics in a big way because I've been on antibiotics, so I bought some Bubbies saurkraut yesterday. Holy heck, that stuff is DELICIOUS. It sounds weird, but I mixed it with mayo and tossed it with protein and romaine for a darn tasty salad.

tdelillo that sounds delish! Do you have the WellFed books? I can't remember if it's 1 or 2, but they have these Rueben roll ups in there with saurkraut. So good! I made the Russian sauce on the side with it, which includes a Kickass Ketchup recipe. I am on Day 2, and yesterday the sugar hangover was unreal. I would've thought I had a whole bottle of wine to myself the night before. #whole30strong

I just popped on here to see how everyone else was doing because I am almost falling asleep trying to do some work here- and I just wanna eat something! Wahhh! I have a slight headache but nothing too terrible. Drinking my water!!!

AmyS- I am with you...I want carbs. Fruit. Sugar. Anything sweet. Gaah! (I'm not even hungry but my habit is to eat right now in the mid-afternoon). Maybe I'll try some herbal tea. 

tdelillo- waldorf salad sounds so good right now. I think I'm gonna make some mayo tonight and maybe make a chicken version of that. 

Gym class tonight- I can tell you there will be NO PR's today, lol! 

Hey, I'm Laurie, my sister in Texas got me interested in this plan but I am a vegan. I looked up the details wanting to get ready ahead of time, and then yesterday I looked back again at the shopping list for vegetarians/vegans and they had changed it! ( check it out format is even different from other specialty lists)

Anyway they took stuff away. I had been reading stuff in forum about, burgers, made out of tofu, black beans, etc.... None of that stuff is on the list, no beans, no tofu... The day before it said, I thought, lentils, and a variety of beans outlined in the book. Or something close to that. I am a vegan. No meat. What am i gonna eat. I need to do this because I have a sneaking suspicion I have leaky gut syndrome but with no vegan protein, it will be very difficult to be a long term solution.

Bunnygirl (Laurie): I came across this page today which might help you: http://whole30.com/2012/03/paleo-nutrition-for-vegetarians/  or here: http://whole30.com/2014/09/vegetarian-whole30/I've read these blogs (they do still exist) but it does say the links here do not work. Google whole 30 vegan and you should find these pages (they came up right away for me). 

• Administrators

Bunnygirl (Laurie): I came across this page today which might help you: http://whole30.com/2012/03/paleo-nutrition-for-vegetarians/  or here: http://whole30.com/2014/09/vegetarian-whole30/I've read these blogs (they do still exist) but it does say the links here do not work. Google whole 30 vegan and you should find these pages (they came up right away for me). 

The Whole9/Whole30 team is in the process of removing, relinking and updating information to align with the new book that is coming out.

Here's Melissa's comments on what will ultimately be the new vegetarian information when it finally comes out.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/17729-yogurt-confusion/page-2#entry281661

Day 4 was good for me. I made spaghetti sauce with beef over spaghetti squash. It was delicious! I haven't even missed the pasta. The spaghetti squash was that good! I made the mayo and ranch dressing, and it's been great feeling like I'm eating like my friends. Sweet dreams everyone!

I love hearing everyone's meals! So yummy! Today I had scrambled eggs with mushrooms and leeks. We went out for lunch today so I ended up with a salad, picked off the cheese, used as little dressing as possible (Italian), but I think the rest of it was fine. Dinner was sausages, asperagus and half an avocado.

Overall felt pretty good today.

Thanks, Ladyshanny- I just happen to come across those pages today and remembered someone asking about a vegan whole30.

I was able to make it through my afternoon - give me a nap now slump- with some herbal tea. Made it to my crossfit class tonite. Huge...huge...I did an (assisted) handstand tonight from standing- like I approached the wall and kicked up! Huge for me- big fear. I did it like 4 times! Yay!

I also just realized that I dont really feel like I want a drink either tonite- I am used to a glass of wine at night to relax. I've had to make mocktails every nite to trick my mind...drink something in a wine glass. But not tonite :-) Ill just have my tea before bed. Night night, everyone!

tdelillo that sounds delish! Do you have the WellFed books? I can't remember if it's 1 or 2, but they have these Rueben roll ups in there with saurkraut. So good!

I hadn't heard of the WellFed books, but I looked them up and realized they're from The Clothes Make the Girl blogger, and I have a bunch of her recipes pinned on Pinterest. Good stuff!

Meanwhile, I had a dream last night that I ate a piece of cake that I didn't even really want, and then I was like "Oh no! I ate cake!" LOL. I'm not craving cake, I'm just worried that I'll slip up somehow. Darn perfectionist tendencies...

Day 3 completed!  And I was very, very tired.  Today I'm still tired, but a little better.  

B: 3 eggs scrambled with spinach & salsa; 1/4 avocado

L: pork roast, broccoli, sweet potato sauteed in coconut oil with Italian seasoning

D: chocolate chili with spaghetti squash

I had to take my daughter to the mall in the evening and watch her eat a big bowl of pho soup.  I ordered a green tea for myself and didn't have a bite!!!

Today I'm hoping to make the paleo pad thai for my boyfriend :)

Meanwhile, I had a dream last night that I ate a piece of cake that I didn't even really want, and then I was like "Oh no! I ate cake!" LOL. I'm not craving cake, I'm just worried that I'll slip up somehow. Darn perfectionist tendencies...

I had a food dream last night too! Must've been something in the air!

Happy day 5! We are coming up on our first weekend of Whole30... I know that will be more difficult for me on the weekend. Im usually out running errands and it's so easy to stop by panera bread or subway! I think I will make a "car snack" kit with nuts and a lara bar.

I've gotten in the habit of perusing the #whole30 posts on instagram and critiquing the food posted. One girl posted a pic of "whole30" cookies! whattttt!

Had my biggest temptation this morning. I work in a hospital and had just been at a code blue and was at the nurses station where they had a basket full of candy.  it was almost a knee-jerk reaction to reach right in there but I caught myself!

have a great day everyone :)

I'm just starting my day here, but waking up sans headache and in a better mood is a definite improvement. One thing I'm doing right now is plotting in times of rest in each day - my weekends are busy this time of the year and I need to plan for that by giving myself time to rest daily. This will also lead to better food choices.

Happy day 5! We are coming up on our first weekend of Whole30... I know that will be more difficult for me on the weekend. Im usually out running errands and it's so easy to stop by panera bread or subway! I think I will make a "car snack" kit with nuts and a lara bar.

I've gotten in the habit of perusing the #whole30 posts on instagram and critiquing the food posted. One girl posted a pic of "whole30" cookies! whattttt!

Had my biggest temptation this morning. I work in a hospital and had just been at a code blue and was at the nurses station where they had a basket full of candy.  it was almost a knee-jerk reaction to reach right in there but I caught myself!

have a great day everyone :)

Regarding your car kit - remember that we really do want you to eat, not snack, on Whole30. The difference may seem just psychological, but it's more. Your car kit can include a cooler, for instance, and then you can pack it with enough food to make a meal. People have their favorite portable foods, but you can take along peeled hard boiled eggs, cubed roasted sweet potatoes, cans of compliant tuna or salmon (plus can opener and fork), carrot sticks, mayo or Ranch dressing (made at home and Whole30 compliant), etc. Think of packing your car kit with easily portable protein, fat, and vegetables. And remember that nuts are a fat source (and not a great one) on Whole30. Lara bars are for true emergencies (like when your car food kit has run out and you aren't going to be home for hours, etc.), and they can be an especially poor choice because they are sugar bombs.

OK, now I'm hungry. Must be time for breakfast!

I'm just starting my day here, but waking up sans headache and in a better mood is a definite improvement. One thing I'm doing right now is plotting in times of rest in each day - my weekends are busy this time of the year and I need to plan for that by giving myself time to rest daily. This will also lead to better food choices.

Regarding your car kit - remember that we really do want you to eat, not snack, on Whole30. The difference may seem just psychological, but it's more. Your car kit can include a cooler, for instance, and then you can pack it with enough food to make a meal. People have their favorite portable foods, but you can take along peeled hard boiled eggs, cubed roasted sweet potatoes, cans of compliant tuna or salmon (plus can opener and fork), carrot sticks, mayo or Ranch dressing (made at home and Whole30 compliant), etc. Think of packing your car kit with easily portable protein, fat, and vegetables. And remember that nuts are a fat source (and not a great one) on Whole30. Lara bars are for true emergencies (like when your car food kit has run out and you aren't going to be home for hours, etc.), and they can be an especially poor choice because they are sugar bombs.

OK, now I'm hungry. Must be time for breakfast!

It is so awesome having a mod going thru a whole30 at the same time and follow this thread!  thanks amy!!

Made some really good tuna salad for lunch today and served it on wedges of red bell peppers...so good and really filling! Thinking about chili for dinner. Kinda tired today but over all still feeling really well. No major cravings or anything yet so I am pleased with that! But weekends are always harder for me so we will see how the next 2 days go...

I'm REALLY glad I committed to do a full Whole30 with forum accountability. I can tell RIGHT THIS MINUTE that if I weren't doing this, right now I'd be saying to myself, "I eat Whole30-style all the time anyway, I can afford that treat this weekend." Hm. My treat this weekend is going to be good energy and a positive mood, not a sugar rush. Yeah!

Archived