Starting April 13th

Bridge125

I used to have lara bars all the time as my go-to emergency snack...I now try to carry Epic bars because I think they fill me up more and dont give me the sugar rush feeling. Thanks for the reminder AmyS about carrying food (cooler even) in the car! I TOTALLY ran out of food today myself :-( I made a dash to the natural food store at lunch for fast food of Applegate turkey, greens, guacamole and plaintain chips. I need to make more food this Sunday! Maybe freeze some cooked meat.

I'm enjoying my evening herbal tea now. I am really happy I dont feel like I "need" a glass of wine to rrlax before bed. And Im even sleeping better already :-)

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for you guys- Im training for a half marathon and I have a 12 mi jog planned for tomorrow...what do I take with me for snacks? Ive been using GUs for my log runs. (Uh oh- this was one thing I didnt even think of!). I could bring lara bars w me since they are high sugar but dont know how they will sit in the stomach for running (I have bad reflux issues). I definitely didnt think ahead on this one!

Maybe I answered my own question- I am going to try making my own gel. I'll just use dates soaked (instead of the agave nectar), here are some links in case anyone else might be interested: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/thrive-energy-gel-recipe/and http://www.nomeatathlete.com/homemade-energy-gel-chia/

This product looks interesting (I'll have to check the ingredients as whole30): 

http://vegasport.com/product/endurance-gel/

I am experimenting with pre-workout foods. Whole30 stresses protein and not carbs prior to workout but that doesn't work well for me during a competitive 90 min soccer game. I had a banana before/during my soccer game this morning and that held me up fairly well. Plan to try a lara bar or some sweet potato mash and maybe some coconut water during my game tomorrow.

I have found that a protein/fat rich meal (like omelette with spinach) works great for steady state cardio (moderate long distance running/cycling) when consumed 2-3 hrs prior.

Curious to know how the homemade gels workout for you.

Well, last night was a fail for me.  After two job interviews yesterday, we had a dinner party last night.  I figured out all the whole30 compliant foods, from appetizer through dessert.  Definitely have figured out how to put meals together, from the 10 minute meals to the evening long extravaganzas.  I made the mistake of bringing home an epic bottle of Virginia viognier for everyone to try.  So I had some too.  Hit the restart button this morning, and am ready to make this work for the next 30 days. 

I hit the restart button on Friday night !! I did well for 4 days but Friday I had a crazy day in the office (yeah I know a good excuse) and for lunch I eat a sandwich and xxxxx  .........  reflecting on that I did restart and back on track .. However I am thinking my problems are snacking, sugar, craving for sweets .. I really don't have problems with diary, gluten, and all that is prohibited - by now - in the whole30 programme ...   why should I do this restricted programme? should I do something more moderate ? How do you think whole30 is worth doing? Of course one of my goals is to reduce weight and take off 30 kg.

Is all this a good mental excuse to give up ?

I hit the restart button on Friday night !! I did well for 4 days but Friday I had a crazy day in the office (yeah I know a good excuse) and for lunch I eat a sandwich and xxxxx  .........  reflecting on that I did restart and back on track .. However I am thinking my problems are snacking, sugar, craving for sweets .. I really don't have problems with diary, gluten, and all that is prohibited - by now - in the whole30 programme ...   why should I do this restricted programme? should I do something more moderate ? How do you think whole30 is worth doing? Of course one of my goals is to reduce weight and take off 30 kg.

Is all this a good mental excuse to give up ?

Well, it's your choice - there are as many ways to eat as there are people on the planet. So it really comes down to what do you want to do for the next 30 days.

If you do decide that you'd like to officially hit that reset button (or its popular cousin, the extension by however many days you need to extend to make a full 30 in a row), you might think about posting your questions about cravings here or in the troubleshooting forum. Often, if you post a couple of days' worth of meals, water intake, exercise, sleep, stress, and any other relevant factors, folks here can help you sort out what might be working for you and what might benefit from a tweak here and there.

In general, snacking between meals often means you're hungry and could benefit from larger meals, particularly that pesky Meal One, to be eaten within an hour of waking. And in general, those sugar/sweets cravings are best dealt with by eating real food, not by making yourself hungry, and then snacking, and then... you get the idea. Whole30 is about eating to satiety and eating in a way that keeps you sustained throughout the day. It's not designed to be restrictive in nature, although it is a huge change for many of us.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your food, enjoy the decisions you make about your food, and eat up! You can do it!

After 5 days and the weekend, I can tell more and more when things become an emotional craving. It's usually boredom or stress. Herbal tea helps and so does just removing myself from the situation or jumping into something interesting like reading my book, looking up fun new Whole30 recipes, or just simply closing my eyes for a minute. We had a night out on Friday and I had been anxious all week about it. But I went and had club soda with a splash of fresh squeezed OJ. No one bothered me with a drink in my hand and boy was it refreshing! Woke up on Saturday and felt empowered. I should remember that feeling in this next week :)

Keep it up everyone! Thanks for sharing! It helps me a lot!

Anyone struggling with headaches? I felt great through day 4, but then a headache started that won't quit. I thought it was probably a carb thing, so I've been trying to eat some starchy veggies and a little fruit, but it's not helping. How long is this blah feeling going to last?

Anyone struggling with headaches? I felt great through day 4, but then a headache started that won't quit. I thought it was probably a carb thing, so I've been trying to eat some starchy veggies and a little fruit, but it's not helping. How long is this blah feeling going to last?

It should pass soon. Also be sure you're staying well-hydrated: aim for drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your body weight, daily.

It should pass soon. Also be sure you're staying well-hydrated: aim for drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your body weight, daily.

I agree. On this Whole30, I had a headache for several days (!!!!!!!) but it's gone today. It will pass.

CarlosRB: Nice to see you back on the forum...I dont have to much to add from the awesome answers above, except that for me- being strict with the program (especially with sugar and starchy-bready carbs) helps me mentally just avoid them (lets be honest- I cant have just one cookie!). I finally had my first day just yesterday, on Day 6, that I was able to go 4-5 hours with each meal (without snacking). This was huge for me!! And when I got hungry, I didnt get my usual weak-jittery feeling. It is up to you if you want to continue on the Whole30- best wishes to you on this journey!! The healthier choices you make- whole30 or not- will get you closer to your goal.

Rugarcia: I made it through my 12 mi jog today nicely with my homeade energy gel. I ate a large breakfast with lots of protein and fat and moderate carb about an hour before I left. I blended 8 dates, 1T date water (recipe I saw called for honey), 2 T crushed pineapple, 1 T coconut oil, 1 T chia seeds and 1/4 t salt. This was sweet- but I upped the fat from the original recipe and this lasted me the whole 12 miles :-). Pleasantly surprised.

Tdelillo: On my first whole30 (attempt, only made it to day 21) I was headachy and nauseous for the first week! Once that passed I felt awesome...but I drank lots of herbal tea and seltzer water to help my stomach. Hope you feel better soon!

Made it through the first week!  WooHoo!  I have reached the stage where I'm not hungry...love it!  Breakfast and lunch were spread farther apart and just had a mini-meal for dinner.  Felt like I could have skipped dinner all together, but didn't want to throw myself off.

Headaches - yeah I had a major one on day 2!  Been very mild ever since.  Sadly mild headaches have become my norm, so I am hoping that by the end of the 30 days maybe that will be fixed for me...we shall see!

Jomyke: Yay!!! Me too- Im finally starting to not feel hungry between meals. It is 7:00 pm here for me and I need to think about dinner...and Im not really that hungry. (Totally awesome for me bc Im the one who carries "emergency snacks" everywhere!!).

Yay! Ok...week one down everyone. Im enjoying a kombucha in a wine glass tonight to celebrate :-)

Whew!  End of week one!  Great job everybody!  We are finally starting to feel better here - headaches (mostly) gone, the awful achey "carb flu" symptoms gone...and seems like some of the arthritis (for me) and gout (for DH) symptoms are at the very least decreasing.  (I get horrible arthritis in my hands when I'm eating too much sugar, and oh my had I been eating too much sugar prior to last week!)

I had a VERY interesting conversation with DH last night.  He was a smoker for over 40 years before he quit 5 years ago (he is currently 57 - he started smoking when he was 10, and had tried to quit at least a dozen times before he was successful).  

I have struggled horribly with sugar, which, honestly, I now consider to be my own addiction, but never wanted to in any way minimize the amazing thing that he did in quitting smoking by trying to compare giving up sugar (and wheat and dairy and etc, but mostly sugar) to quitting smoking.  Anyway, he is doing this W30 with me, and he confided in me last night that quitting the sugar over the past week has been even harder than quitting smoking was.  

I guess I'm sharing this story in hopes that those out there who struggle with sugar as I do understand how critical it is that you recognize your struggles for what they are - nothing less than what someone goes through when they try to quit smoking or any other drug that has the capacity to bind to the pleasure centers in your brain and get you addicted.  I have read that quitting sugar (and grains) can have the same effect on people physically and emotionally as a smoker trying to quit, an alcoholic trying to quit, or a cocaine addict trying to quit.  I wanted to believe it, but wasn't sure.  Now I know.  I am married to someone who has experienced both firsthand, and for him at least, it is the same.  

If and as you continue thorugh this struggle (until the cravings, headaches, aches, and pains become more and more manageable), please be gentle with yourselves!  It will get better!  It does get better!  I've done it before.  I know how good I can feel when I've cleaned these toxins out of my body.  But, like an alcoholic - I think I now also know that I will never be able to have "just one cupcake"  or "just one cookie".  I suppose that means that in addition to being gentle, you also have to practice "tough love".  

Kudos to each of you who have successfully completed this program, and to each of you who have fallen off, and get back up, brush yourselves off, and start again!

Ladybugbutt: Wow...nice reminder how addictive sugar is!! I am one of those people too (one cookie? No way...one BOX more like!). I started a stressful job about 8 months ago and I started having a glass of wine at night to relax. Soo...at work I was shoving cookies in my mouth on bad days, and then have a couple of glasses of wine at night. Bad habit...it has been so hard to break! I feel better now that I have one week under my belt. I just have to keep reminding myself...cookies and wine arent going to make me feel better. I am thinking of trying a meditation app I can sneak in at work when I used to go for cookies. Good for you two doing this together! :-)

ColoradoGirl: Way to tough out a long run during week 1. I felt weak at the start of my soccer game today but a lara bar and some coconut water did the trick. I am trying to limit treats (bars, fruit juice, and other high sugar fruits) unless absolutely necessary, and my games may be such cases. Hoping to ease back into my normal workout routine this coming week but I think it's going to be rough.

Great work getting through week one everyone!

Tdelillo: On my first whole30 (attempt, only made it to day 21) I was headachy and nauseous for the first week! Once that passed I felt awesome...but I drank lots of herbal tea and seltzer water to help my stomach. Hope you feel better soon!

Yeah, I had a stomach ache for about 2 days, and herbal tea helped a lot. The headache peaked yesterday morning and has gone back to a tiny background twinge, so I'm hoping I'm past the worst of it.

Regarding Ladybugbutt's great post about sugar addiction, I was trying to explain to someone yesterday the need to break my sugar habit, which they totally got, but then I mentioned that the body treats alcohol the same way as sugar, and they were skeptical. If I understand my nutrition science, that is just fact.  I'd love it if someone would tell me I'm wrong, but I know from experience that when I give up sugar but not alcohol, the sugar cravings never stop.

I also related "quitting" sugar to be synonymous with quitting smoking to my fiance, who quit smoking a couple of months before we met... except he had a nicotine patch and we don't get a sugar patch! ;) My biggest cravings have been after dinner just because almost my entire life i've been eating something sweet after dinner.  I didn't even try working out during week 1, but I did do quite a bit of yard work and took the dog for a walk yesterday. Was a little weak afterwards. Going mushroom hunting this afternoon!

Have a great day everyone, and CONGRATS on an entire week of healthy choices! 

Survived the weekend - barely. Had a massive headache on Friday, which I think was equal parts allergies and whole30-induced. Was away from home for much of Saturday and Sunday, but stuck to the program despite road blocks. Today I seem to be in the "kill all things" phase. My co-workers are really getting a kick out of my grumps. At least I am providing humor relief for somebody on this dreary Monday! :unsure:

Archived