yet another whole30 for mangio_bene

mangio_bene

I started another whole30 today.  I eat well (similar to paleo/whole30) during the week but the weekends trip me up as my boyfriend and I go out to eat and/or socialize with friends and I don't always make the best choices nor have I been consistent in my exercise.  I would like to lose a few pounds between now and our vacation late next month.  My boyfriend is out of town for the next three weeks for work so I decided this was a good time to do this.

My goals are to eat per the template, exercise at least 5 out of 7 days per week and to drink 8+ glasses of water a day.  I made a huge pot of soup today.  I had intended to make some halibut with a citrus/tarragon sauce and zoodles but I picked up cucumbers instead of zucchini.  <_<  So I decided to make soup instead. It turned out really good.  I cooked onions and leaks in olive oil, then added chicken stock. Simmered the leeks for about 10 minutes and then added the halibut.  After about five minutes I added fresh tarragon, broke up the fish and seasoned with salt and pepper. 

Day 1

M1: fried eggs in avocado oil, cucumber/tomato salad

M2: halibut leek soup w/tarragon

M3: halibut leek soup w/tarragon

Water: 8+ glasses

Exercise: None as I had to take my boyfriend to the airport at 4am this morning so I was too tired to do much today

post-43295-0-17423700-1428812122_thumb.j

post-43295-0-70418900-1428812130_thumb.j

When I did my first Whole30 white potatoes weren't allowed.  We always makes the weeks breakfasts on Sunday which usually consists of a potato hash with meat and scrambled eggs with a vegetable or cheese. We try to change it up each week.  In the past Whole30 I substituted the potatoes with sweet potatoes, turnips and rutabaga but none of them were satisfactory.  Today I decided to do half white potato and half sweet potato.    It was still too sweet for my taste but it worked better than any of the other renditions so I'm OK with it.  I made a weird lamb stew for dinner but I can't say I like it much.  I've been using avocado oil this week because I haven't yet picked up any ghee.  

Day 2

M1: white potato/sweet potato/onion hash, scrambled eggs with fennel

M2: halibut leek soup w/tarragon

M3: lamb stew, sauteed mushrooms and salad (endive, tomato, cucumber, olives, balsamico, olive oil)

Exercise: 5k walk on my treadmill

post-43295-0-30305200-1428899405_thumb.j

post-43295-0-95816900-1428899411_thumb.j

I made bahn mi but forgot to make mayo yesterday so it wasn't completely satisfactory.  The meat itself turned out tasty though.  Mixed ground pork with minced shallots, minced garlic, freshly grated ginger, chopped cilantro, minced jalapeno, some freshly squeezed key lime juice (plus a bit of zest), a dash of coconut aminos, a dash of red boat fish sauce and a dash of sesame oil.  I made 2 oz patties and cooked them up.   

Day 3

M2: lamb stew, sauteed mushrooms and salad (endive, tomato, cucumber, olives, balsamico, olive oil)

M3: bahn mi, broccolini sauteed in avocado oil

Exercise: 30 minutes of intervals on my treadmill

post-43295-0-45349500-1428981604_thumb.j

I met some friends after work this evening and ordered nothing off the menu except sparking water with lime wedges.  I made a shrimp salad when I got home and normally I'd say it wasn't quite enough food but I don't like sleeping on a full stomach so was sufficient.  I'm also quite sick of the breakfast after three days as the sweet potatoes are too sweet for me.  I am going only with white potatoes next week.  I like savory flavors  a lot more than sweet. 

Day 3

M2: bahn mi, broccolini sauteed in avocado oil

M3: shrimp salad (romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, fresh mint, freshly sqeezed key lime juice, wild caught tiny shirmp, balsamico, olive oil)

Exercise: none

post-43295-0-91744500-1429072602_thumb.j

I made taco salad yesterday.  I really missed cheese on my first whole30 but it didn't bother me with last nights taco salad.  However, I did miss the sour cream.  I cooked ground beef with cumin, coriander, minced jalepeno, minced onion and minced garlic ... plus a bit of salt and pepper.  I end up eating too much of the same thing when my boyfriend is gone because normally we make enough for dinner and lunch the next day.  I probably need some more variety with my veggies ... more greens and starch.

Day 4 (yesterday)

M2: lamb stew, salad (romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, avocado, fresh mint, freshly sqeezed key lime juice, balsamico, olive oil)

M3: taco salad (seasoned beef, romaine, napa cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, sliced radish, freshly sqeezed key lime juice)

Exercise: 5k walk on my treadmill

Day 5 (today)

M2: taco salad (seasoned beef, romaine, napa cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, sliced radish, freshly sqeezed key lime juice)

M3: taco salad (seasoned beef, romaine, napa cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, sliced radish, freshly sqeezed key lime juice)

Exercise: 30 minutes of speed intervals on my treadmill

post-43295-0-87299700-1429251770_thumb.j

Archived