Going Camping while on Whole30

Mom2J&D

Hi! We had planned a camping trip a while ago before I finally decided to do a Whole30.  It is too late to cancel.  We camp out of an RV so I can cook.  Has anyone ever gone camping while on a Whole30?  If so, how did you manage and can you share the recipes that you used?  TIA  :)

• Administrators

We eat Whole30 for all of our meals for the most part (template portions, protein, veggies and fat).  When I go camping in our RV I make a menu plan just like I do when I'm at home.  And then I precook as much as I can, just like when I'm at home.  For me the only difference is that we're outside eating it. ;)

You can do a slow cooked pork shoulder and have tonnes of meat for meals.  Bring salad, roasted sweet potatoes (or you can roast these in the coals of your campfire).  Make burger patties for the BBQ, preroast some baby potatoes for a chunky "hash brown" to have with your eggs, make sausage patties.  Make a potato salad w/ compliant mayo.  Pre cooked chicken thighs, grill steak on the bbq, asparagus grilled.  Really, camping in an RV should not pose any additional issues for a Whole30.  

would however, caution you against the constant snacking/nibbling that most people do while camping.  Don't fill that gap with nuts or dried fruits or larabars or anything like that.  Eat your three big meals a day and then move on to something else.  Maybe pack some kombucha for your evening cocktail?

We went camping at the end of March. We weren't Whole30-ing at the time, but a large portion of our food (even that cooked by friends) was still on track.

For a group of about 14 (so scale accordingly per your needs):

Breakfast was hashbrowns, bacon/various sausages/meats, scrambled eggs, and cinnamon apples in the dutch oven (no added sugar, just some fat--try ghee). We never consistently eat lunch during camping trips because we go do a hike, come back for a nibble, nap, and have another nibble while the dinner prep starts.

Our first night's dinner is "dinner on a stick." Hot dogs and brats over the fire. Applegate makes compliant hot dogs that aren't exorbitantly priced. A dollar more (at my Whole Foods, at least) and you can get the same product from Applegate, but in grassfed form. Someone brought marinated brussels sprouts on skewers (blanch at home first or else they'll never get done) and I made antipasto dip. It would be a great way to turn a mass of chopped veggies into a cohesive salad. (I should make more of that stuff....)

We did a taco night with buffalo pulled chicken (complaint hot sauce, ranch-style herbs), marinated white fish (lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, chipotle pepper), steak over the camp fire, and ground beef. Our camp sites had electric hook-ups so I brought my crockpot and did mushrooms in it coated with a BBQ dry rub. (This one, but minus the sugar.)

In the past we've also done chili in the crockpot which I pre-cooked at home, stashed in the cooler, and just used the crockpot to re-warm. For snacks/lunches I've packed hardboiled eggs, scotch eggs, or made a meatball recipe out of Well Fed 2. Since you've got an RV to cook in, the sky's the limit, really. You could pre-cook various meats and veggies, make a few sauces, and then just make different hot plate dishes throughout the trip!

That's the only way we eat when we go camping! Just pack up some meat and veggies to grill, maybe bring some beef jerky (I make my own, not hard and you don't have to have a dehydrator), and lots of water. Oh, canned fish, olives, and some fruit make great easy snacks.

I'm actually starting my next whole30 tomorrow, and we are going camping (which is why I chose this as a start date). Don't overthink it and keep it simple. It's all about survival!  :)

Archived