Whole 30 #2. Hoping to stick to it this time!!

BJS12345

Starting whole 30 again! Did awesome the first 30 days. Finished one week ago today and am trying to start again today. So far I ate:

Bfast:

3 eggs, mushrooms, spinich and kale fried in coconut oil. No ripe avocados today. Black coffee w coconut oil.

Lunch: eggplant with tomatoe sauce and spinich, chicken breast and 4-5 olives. And a whole grapefruit.

Dinner will be short ribs with string beans.

Walked 6 miles with a friend.

Trying to do more of a whole 9 this time. Hence the walk with two other women this morning, sitting outside relaxing and enjoying the sunshine right now. Baking with my daughter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1

Ok...OFFICIALLY back on the Whole 30 bandwagon today!!!

Post wo- Brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil

M1: 3 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, kale, quarter avocado, black coffee and all food cooked in about 2 tsp of coconut oil

M2: spring mix, 3 oz chicken breast, quarter avocado, 10 almonds, half red pepper, 4 grape tomatoes and home made Caesar dressing

M3: 2 chicken legs, snap peas, brussels sprouts, sweet potato, a few strawberries and aboutb10 grapes.

Exercise: 2 mile sprint/walk and 1/2 mi dog walk.

Fighting off the Sugar Dragon again!!!

I started my second whole 30 today as well!  This comes after recently finishing my first and finding myself reckless and bingey in the reintroduction phase.  Perhaps we can be a support to each other.  I imagine it's tricky to do 2 back to back this way but totally worth it.  What do you mean by doing more of a "whole 9"?  I haven't come across what the "whole 9" actually refers to. 

Wishing you a strong, determined and peaceful day!

Sarah

I started my second whole 30 today as well!  This comes after recently finishing my first and finding myself reckless and bingey in the reintroduction phase.  Perhaps we can be a support to each other.  I imagine it's tricky to do 2 back to back this way but totally worth it.  What do you mean by doing more of a "whole 9"?  I haven't come across what the "whole 9" actually refers to. 

Wishing you a strong, determined and peaceful day!

Sarah

That would be great to have a support person who is facing the same issues as I am. 

The Whole 9  basically addresses more than just diet.  It talks about lifestyle as well. It is made up of :

Personal growth, stress management, healthy movement, fun and play, nutrition, temperance, sleep, natural environment and socialization.

The website is http://whole9life.com/faq/

Day 2:

PreWO- 1 bite of grilled chicken breast

Workout: walk/run and 7 min HIIT wo and some kettle bell squats.

M1 and M2: eggs w vegatables and avacado and salad with chicken, Nuts and avacado

Same as Day 1

M3: Eggplant, 3oz chicken breast. Tomato sauce,

Sausage, string beans cooked in coconut oil

Trying to skip fruit today. Too much like a dessert.

Ended up having 2 strawberries and about 10 grapes.

Day 2 continued

My daughter baked a huge batch of chocolate chip cookies this afternoon. It was tough, but I didnt break down. I am pretty sure that processed sugar increases my stress level and that gives me incentive not to eat it. I really want to lose weight this time around and I know it will depend on my portions from dinner.

Day 3

Pre wo- half oz chicken breast

Post wo- 4 strawberries

Workout: 15 min interval training on Stairmaster

2 sets of HIIT training 7 min each

M1: standard bfast of 3 eggs, spunixh, coconut oil, coffee, 3 mushrooms and kale and quarter avacado

M2: spring mix w 3 oz chicken breast, 10 almonds, quarter avacado, grape tomatoes, half red pepper and home made ceasar dressing

Good job resisting the cookies!!!!  what a success....I love that your daughter is cooking and baking.  I have a 12 year old son and I would like to encourage him to cook more often as well. 

I hope that I can get in a place to incorporate a workout in the morning as well.  I'm still acclimating to a time change induced by travel.  I live in Connecticut and we traveled back to Colorado/Nebraska for our spring break last week.  As a result, I'm 2 hours off on my sleep and 6:00AM feels like 4:00AM still.  I got up at 5:30 today so I'm making progress.  As soon as I can crawl out of bed at 5:00 I will have time to work out. 

you inspire me!!!

LOL! :) Thanks!

I realized in 2007 that the only convenient time for me to fit in a work out is in the morning before I shower and leave for work.  I sometimes take a walk in the evening as well in the nicer weather.  It has become such a habit.

My daughter loves to bake and cook.  It's difficult at times especially when she makes her cream fresh and doesn't use it all.  How can I let it go to waste? :wacko:

My son likes to cook as well.  Your son would probably like it!

M3: made more tomato sauce this morning and also some zucchini "spaghetti"   Will either have that with chicken breast OR

I think my husband is making brisket so I will prob have that if he makes that.

Curious about your tomato sauce. Can you post a recipe if you have a chance?

Too many nuts for me yesterday. They can easily be. My "food without brakes". Gonna limit them to he ones I sprinkle on my salad or spread on celery. Ugh.[/quote

For my tomato sauce I saute onions and garlic and mushrooms in about 1tbs coconut oil and then add a can of crushed tomatoes and a tsp of tomato paste, some salt and pepper and oregano. I let it simmer for a few minutes. You can pour it over sliced eggplant in a casarole dish and bake it. It's delicious! I got the recepie from "Everyday Paleo" but may have tweaked it a little.

I cut my nuts down to 10 almonds in my salad for lunch. They are too easy to eat when I'm not hungry and I eat too many. I'm trying to stop fruit for "dessert " after dinner. I feel like it adds extra calories and reinforces my after dinner treat mentality. I haven't been successful at avoiding it at this time yet, but maybe on Day 4!!

Day 3

M3: brisket, cooked carrots, snap peas, bite of sweet potato, strawberries and grapes

Ate too many grapes.

Went for a 45 min walk with my cousin after dinner. Nice to catch up and get exercise!

Day 4:

Pre wo: bite of chicken.
WO: Jillian michaels 30 day shred level 3
Water.
Post wo: left over string beans.
M1 and M2: same as Day 1-3

Kind of tired today. Actually for the last 3 days! I'm wondering if it's because of the all the sugar I ate on Saturday and now I am in withdrawl again? I was sleeping so well at the end of Whole 30 #1!

Not hungry yesterday but ate meals anyway. Only hungry in am when I first wake up. I eat when I start to feel a drop in blood sugar. No growling stomach anymore!!

M3:  one Italian sausage link, home made spaghetti sauce, zucchini vegetti sautéed in coconut oil, one small slice of brisket

Day 5

pre wo- 1 hb egg white

wo- jillian michaels 30 day shred level 3

post wo- coffee with coconut oil, quarter avacado

M1: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, spinach sautéed in coconut oil, zucchini, quarter avacado 

M2: spring mix with grape tomatoes, red pepper, quarter avocado, 3 oz chicken, 8 almonds, shredded cabbage, home made ceasar dressing
2:00 and haven't eaten my salad yet.  Feeling really sleepy.  Not hungry.  Refuse to eat large salad when I'm not hungry.  I will probably be hungry eventually and I will just eat it then!

post wo- coffee with coconut oil, quarter avacado

Hey, I know you were miffed at not having lost as much weight as you'd have liked on your first whole30 so can I suggest you don't take coffee (unless it's decaff) postWO? Caffeine is known to elevate the stress hormone cortisol which can slow the metabolism meaning waste won't be removed, muscle/tissue won't rebuild/repair as quickly, recovery will be delayed & you'll feel fatigued for longer. Also, raised cortisol levels can cause weight gain/retention especially around the abdomen.

You'd be better opting for some protein/carbs & ditching the fat altogether in all honesty as it slows down transit through the stomach, and so may slow down the digestion and absorption of any proteins/carbs you *do* take on board.

Hope this helps!

Hey, I know you were miffed at not having lost as much weight as you'd have liked on your first whole30 so can I suggest you don't take coffee (unless it's decaff) postWO? Caffeine is known to elevate the stress hormone cortisol which can slow the metabolism meaning waste won't be removed, muscle/tissue won't rebuild/repair as quickly, recovery will be delayed & you'll feel fatigued for longer. Also, raised cortisol levels can cause weight gain/retention especially around the abdomen.

You'd be better opting for some protein/carbs & ditching the fat altogether in all honesty as it slows down transit through the stomach, and so may slow down the digestion and absorption of any proteins/carbs you *do* take on board.

Hope this helps!

I only have one scoop of caffenaited. After that it's all decaf. I really enjoy my coffee blended with coconut oil in the morning and I only use 1/2 tsp coconut oil for the whole pot. That comes to about 1/8 tsp of coconut oil per cup. So I don't think that little bit of fat and small amount of caffeine can have that much of an impact on protein absorption.

I would like to leave out the scoop of caffenaited all together. I am too chicken to try it. Not sure how much it effects me. I feel like it gives me a slight "pick-me-up" in the morning. Maybe I'll experiment tomorrow since it's Sunday??

Day 6:

Pre W/O and M1 combined:

2 eggs scrambled with 3 oz leftover salmon

2 mushrooms, 5 grape tomatoes, kale sautéed in 1 tsp coconut oil, coffee blended with 1 tsp coconut oil.

(Left off my usual quartercavacado this morning because of the fatty fish in my egg )

WO: 3 mile sprint/ walk - interval

Feel really good this morning. It's a beautiful day and I am enjoying the rest of my coffee from breakfast getting ready to go exercise outside!!

I only have one scoop of caffenaited. After that it's all decaf. I really enjoy my coffee blended with coconut oil in the morning and I only use 1/2 tsp coconut oil for the whole pot. That comes to about 1/8 tsp of coconut oil per cup. So I don't think that little bit of fat and small amount of caffeine can have that much of an impact on protein absorption.

I would like to leave out the scoop of caffenaited all together. I am too chicken to try it. Not sure how much it effects me. I feel like it gives me a slight "pick-me-up" in the morning. Maybe I'll experiment tomorrow since it's Sunday??

No, you're right - that small amount probably won't impact protein absorption - although you really should take some post WO protein on board  if your WOs are intense!

Re the decaff, it would appear that I was wrong about that.... I was talking to one of trainer/nutritionist guys at the gym this morning and he told me it's not the caffeine, but the coffee itself that raises cortisol levels and impacts weight retention/gain - and the older you are the longer it takes for them to return to normal levels. In a 25yr old they'll be back to normal in a matter of hours, in a 65yr old it can take a matter of days...!!!  :o  I'm not a *huge* coffee drinker myself, but as a 45yr old I'm thinking it'll have to be relegated to the 'on special occasions only' list...

Every day's a School day!!  :lol: 

It's a beautiful day here too so I'm off out to mull it all over in the fresh air......

Have a great day  :)

No, you're right - that small amount probably won't impact protein absorption - although you really should take some post WO protein on board  if your WOs are intense!

Re the decaff, it would appear that I was wrong about that.... I was talking to one of trainer/nutritionist guys at the gym this morning and he told me it's not the caffeine, but the coffee itself that raises cortisol levels and impacts weight retention/gain - and the older you are the longer it takes for them to return to normal levels. In a 25yr old they'll be back to normal in a matter of hours, in a 65yr old it can take a matter of days...!!!  :o  I'm not a *huge* coffee drinker myself, but as a 45yr old I'm thinking it'll have to be relegated to the 'on special occasions only' list...

Every day's a School day!!  :lol: 

It's a beautiful day here too so I'm off out to mull it all over in the fresh air......

Have a great day  :)

Thanks so much for your coffee knowledge.  It's helping me get over black coffee. Share about green tea...you know these things:rolleyes: 

M2: 3 large strawberries and some grapes.

Still so not hungry. I have been drinking water all day long. It's 73° today. Maybe the sunshine and heat are taking away my appetite?

If I have to force myself to eat a meal when I'm not hungry at all, maybe this plan isn't right for me? I am really trying to stay in tune with my body signals and practice intuitive eating. It seems with the meal template on whole 30 my body only needs two meals a day.

M3: out to dinner

Beet salad. Yum!

Halibut with compliant coleslaw, water

Got home and would have gone straight for the icecream after a sat night out to dinner. Had some strawberries and grapes instead.

I actually own a book called "intuitive eating."  Have you read it?  I believe in it....when the sugar dragon has been defeated.  I tried it as it was outlined and found that I was too bingey and far-to-removed from the natural signals of hunger and satiety to listen and respond to them.  it seems you're very in tune and don't have the problem I have with "waiting for hunger."  I'm actually not overweight.  Not really doing Whole30 for weight loss, but I have sporadic patterns of eating and it is all out of balance for me.  I find myself in extreme swings of mood, food, and energy levels.  For this reason, I sought a way to use food as medicine.  "It All Starts With Food" really made sense to me...particularly the discussion regarding the impact that 3 meals have on hormones and our biochemistry.  Perhaps you don't feel hungry, but what will happen to your cortisol and insulin levels if you allow more than 5 hours to pass without some protein, fat and vegetables?  I don't claim to understand the science altogether, but I wonder if your hunger signals are somewhat depressed (minimized), and if you reduced your day to 2 meals, after a while, would you find yourself out of balance? Truthfully, I could have it all wrong!!!!! 

Hope you had a good night out!

Sarah

Sarah makes some really good points.  When meals are dialed down, the metabolism gets slower....especially for women.   You can sit at that setpoint for months and months when meals are reduced to tiny portions,  one or two times aday.  Then one day, you may have an appetite reckoning.  It comes roaring back and it's another set up for a period of thrill eating to compensate for the hunger.   Better to eat 3 meals aday with 4-5 hours inbetween for the BIG WIN.

Day 7:

M1/pre wo meal:

2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 oz leftover halibut, 2 mushrooms, 2 cups kale, 2 tsp coconut oil, black coffee

wo: 20 minutes of jumping rope

snack:  strawberries, grapes and coconut flakes 

Not best choice, but really wanted it.

M2: 1.5 oz halibut, string beans and broccoli cooked with olive oil, half avocado, 10 almonds

M3: 4oz grilled chicken breast, brussells sprouts, 2 olives, homemade tomato sauce.

Stuffed from dinner.  Not really sure why!!  Maybe the Brussels sprouts?

Walked a lot today...12,500 steps.  Mostly doing errands with my daughter, but also included the jump roping and 2 walks with the dog.

Would have liked to do more outdoor exercise, but didn't have enough time today.

Archived