Weight Gain at Day 15

This is my first Whole30. I am just starting Day 15, and this morning, my pants don't fit. I mean, I can barely button them! I know the timeline says this will happen, but please, tell me it gets better! I've been completely compliant. Not one bite, lick or taste of anything bad. My portions aren't crazy. I am feeling so disillusioned! Has anyone else experienced this at this stage of the program?

In order for us to give you some helpful insight to this it would really help if you are able to post a couple of days worth of meals here (please include approximate portion sizes).

Shooting from the hip here:

Nuts, nut butter, and dried fruits are famous for causing bloating stomach distress, etc.

Raw Veg can cause some similar issues as well.

Are you stressed?

How are you sleeping?

All of these things are key factors on how your body responds to certain things.  

I generally eat a palm sized portion of protein. Two cups worth of veggies. I've been making my own mayo and sunshine sauce. I do love my spaghetti squash,and I eat sweet potato maybe twice a week. The only fruits I eat are strawberries and blueberries. Once in awhile I will have whole, unsalted cashews. My sleep has been good so far, but I am plagued with crazy dreams. I've been bloated for about a week and a half now. I am trying to drink half my body weight in ounces. I am not using coconut cream in my coffee - I drink my espresso black. I am also on meds for anxiety, and not sure if these are counteracting the program? 

For us to better help you, can you list your food in terms of couple days worth of your meals?  Identifying meal 1, meal 2, and meal 3 plus any snacks, along with portion sizes. Include whether your veggies are cooked or raw, if it's not obvious.

Also, how different is this way of eating from how you ate prior to your Whole30?

I will definitely do that when I have time later today. As far as what has changed? I am no longer eating a half a bag of chocolate chips at night while watching TV. I am not falling into a bowl of pasta with butter and cheese when I'm too lazy to make anything else. And I have given up my Starbucks lattes and mochas and swapped them with Americanos. I've really cleaned up my act!

• Administrators

You might try eliminating coconut products for 5-7 days and see how your bloating goes. I cannot imagine that the reason your pants are not buttoning is "weight gain" but perhaps excessive bloating?

• Administrators

Oh, coconut, my dear friend. I love him. I don't want to  leave him...

LOL, yes, I get that. But you need to find out if your dear friend is continuously punching you in the gut.  So......bye bye?

Ok, this is what I ate yesterday

M1:

Two egg omelette with prosciutto - cooked in one tbsp of coconut oil

cup of raw carrots

cup of strawberries

1/4 avocado

Venti iced Americano  (just espresso, water, ice)

M2:

one chicken thigh cut up and mixed with homemade mayo and guac

Served on a plate of lettuce

One cup of mixed cukes and heirloom tomatoes

Had half a cup of cashews mid-day

M3:

One cup of ground turkey seasoned with S&P

One cup of spaghetti squash

1.4 cup sunshine sauce 

Drizzle of hot sauce

Cup or Roiboos tea before bed

How does this look? This is a fairly typical day for me

• Administrators

Also wondering if I can add a bit of unsweetened cranberry juice to some seltzer to help with bloating. I know the rules say no juice, but this stuff is so bitter, I can't imagine it will cause a sugar spike with me.

You bet, this is fine.  As long as your juice doesn't have non compliant ingredients in it, you are welcome to use juice to brighten up water.

• Administrators

M2:

one chicken thigh cut up and mixed with homemade mayo and guac

Served on a plate of lettuce

One cup of mixed cukes and heirloom tomatoes

Had half a cup of cashews mid-day

You could afford to eat more overall but in particular your M2 is very light.  And the best tip you have that you didn't eat enough at lunch is that you needed to eat a half a cup of cashews between M2 and M3.  Add another chicken thigh and maybe a serving of starchy veggie which I don't see in your menu at all.

Veggies is 1-3 cups as a minimum! :)

So i was told by someone on the Facebook forums that spaghetti squash may be causing weight gain? I love it and want to eat it everyday, but now I'm afraid to! Is that okay to do? I really need to wrap my head around the "good fat doesn't make you fat."  Also, what about adding a digestive enzyme? Will that help with the bloating and gurgling?

• Administrators

So i was told by someone on the Facebook forums that spaghetti squash may be causing weight gain? I love it and want to eat it everyday, but now I'm afraid to! Is that okay to do? I really need to wrap my head around the "good fat doesn't make you fat."  Also, what about adding a digestive enzyme? Will that help with the bloating and gurgling?

I think they might be confusing "weight gain" with "bloating".  Personally spaghetti squash and I do NOT get along, it bloats me up super fast, we eat it maybe three times a year!

If you are not having problems with it, you can eat it on the regular, but we recommend getting a good variety of colorful veggies so cracking out on spaghetti squash, while compliant, isn't giving you the widest nutrient profile possible.  :)

• Administrators

I do eat a ton of broccoli, brussels, cauliflower, zucchini, etc. Love my veggies. Maybe I will give it a break for a few days and see what happens. Also, what about the enzymes? is that worth trying?

I apologize, I don't know much about enzymes, hopefully another mod or member will weigh in!

Things that cause bloating:

Copious amounts of raw veg.

Broccoli, brussel sprouts, and cauliflower

Nuts, nut butters and dried fruit

Things that may cause bloating (depends on who you are)

Avocados

Coconut milk

Squash - some squashes are fine - so don't group them all together.  Personally I am finding that kombocha/buttercup squash and I don't get along all that well.  (Sad face.)

Scorpiosister - this doesn't mean you have to eliminate them - just cut them back - so maybe as opposed to eating them everyday - eat them maximum 3 times a week.  (I've had to the same thing with nightshades - and right now I am low fodmap too so I feel your pain!)

@ LadyShanny - yep  :angry:

fortunately the bloating isn't super bad, so not bad enough to eliminate completely - just bad enough to take it out of weekly rotation.

Archived