April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

My husband and I have been eating whole30 some and are going to officially start April 20. The kids are only going to partially follow for now. I was 80% for almost a month and then had a week of SAD, it was horrible so very excited to be 100%!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! I have a feeling mine won't make it cuz of his long work hours but he has given up soda already! Which is HUGE! Do you have a plan for week 1 yet? Or plan to prep this weekend? It is my hope that we do some at least!

I guess I'm winging it. I'm fortunate enough to be a stay at home mom, but the challenge there is I have 2 boys under 2... Truth be told this will be my 3rd attempt. I'm doing it this time though! I've got experience on my side. Haha. So I do some things nearly every day because that's how it works out for me. It's easier for me to do an hour a day rather than a larger chunk on a weekend. I can cut up and sauté veggies every other day, bake off a bunch of sweet potatoes at a time and my crock pot is nearly always going. I've almost always done all the cooking for myself or the household, so this won't be too much of a switch for me. Thankfully my toddler is a good eater and has been loving the whole 30 compliant foods he's been given. Oh and I have to keep it simple, I have never turned cauliflower into rice. I have over steamed it and turned it into mush though. ;)

Lol I have learned I don't really like leftover or precooked meat....so probably just chopping veggies on the weekend and having an idea for meat so its ready to go next day. My son is not embracing all the veggies or the meat for that matter lol.

I have never turned cauliflower into rice. I have over steamed it and turned it into mush though. ;)

:D 

I like to keep it simple too - I opt to roast my cauliflower mostly, as it's fairly visible if it's been cooking too long! (And it tastes way better with some ghee & spices!!)

Hi guys --  mind if I join in?  This will be my 3rd Whole 30, but there are new challenges every time.  This time, I have (I think) convinced my husband to join me.  He has been eating healthier but is also gaining weight.  That probably means he's compensating when I'm not around.  I have found that doing things myself first, and talking about my experiences positively, is easier than just flat out asking him to join me.  Eventually I invite him along, but he wants to see what'll happen before he dives in himself.  Which is fine -- he keeps me from leaping into things that I shouldn't fairly regularly.

Last time around, my major goal was to make it through the Whole 30 so that I could really focus on reintroduction.  I did that pretty successfully -- I posted about it on the reintroduction board.  I already knew that I was lactose intolerant, but was surprised to learn that corn is a problem for me, especially in the form of cornmeal.  I have also learned that legumes are fine, including peanuts and (I think) soy.  The verdict is still out on wheat, but it seems to be fine in small doses.

I have also learned that there is something that causes a major malaise, but I'm not sure what.  I am starting to think it may simply be carb overload.  It has happened a couple of times in the last few weeks when I have had a lot to eat (thank you Easter and guests) and a lot of carbs.

I lost about 5 pounds while doing the Whole30 last time, but as of this morning I had gained it back and more.  I find that fascinating, as DH and I are both pretty sure I haven't eaten "enough" calories to do that, but I had a lot of salt the last couple of days, and did a workout that left me kind of sore and "heavy" feeling, so I think some of it is water weight.  Not all, thought.

So -- my specific goal for this Whole30 is to get me and DH closer to the same page about healthy eating, support him in his efforts to eat healthy in an office full of temptations, and to figure out how to eat sustainably so that when I finish the next Whole30, I don't immediately gain the weight back.  What's really interesting is that I would have said I was eating pretty well and not too far from the amounts of food I was eating before.

This fits into my overall goal -- my doc didn't like my bloodwork a few years ago (all the wrong things too high) and I've been working with a nutritionist to get that better.  I've improved there and overall have still lost 12 or 13 pounds, but need to keep going.  The goal is to weigh 168 pounds by the time I turn 50 in 2 1/2 years.  As of today, that's 21 pounds away.  Doesn't seem impossible until you consider that I have been where I am now -- and fighting to get to there -- ever since an extremely stressful period of my life 12 years ago.

Still.  There is nothing wrong with continuing to work at it.

ThyPeace, because I don't believe I'm banging my head against a wall.  

Yay! This will be fun. I too would like to shed some weight, but my main goals would be to gain stable energy, slay the sugar dragon, and work on my relationship with food.

I love roasted veggies too! I roasted a cauliflower today. So yummy. The toddler ate some, but he calls it broccoli. I won't argue with him if he's eating it though!

We will see how aboard he is once it really starts but he actually checked labels when someone recommended something to him the other day and said he couldn't have it! Some of his coworkers have actually heard of a whole30 which is amazing given they are all men!

Over eating (the wrong crap especially) and thoughtless eating is what I truly want to get rid of. See if anything has made me tired besides just a bad diet.

My hardest part has been trying to eat 1 hour after getting up. I have gotten it to within 2 hours.

My son lobes having the hardboiled eggs in the house and actually got.after me this evening cuz he ate the last earlier and I said we would make more and forgot! Oops.

Talked to DH more about the Whole30 last night.

Me:  "So when do you want to start?"

DH:  "What makes you think I haven't started already?  You already started, didn't you?"

Me:  "Yesterday and today have been compliant for me, yeah.  So... when did you last have something with added sugar in it?"

DH:  "Tuesday.  And I had two Coke Zeros.  Two! mumblemumble... peanuts last night. "  [He really likes Coke Zero, as I did before my first Whole30.]

Me:  "Okay, so you have to start over from after the peanuts."

DH:  "Can't I do a modified Whole30?"

Me:  "Well, no.  You don't have to do it at all!  But if you're going to do it, you can't modify it."

DH:  "Hrrrmrmrphph."

He was really tired last night, so we didn't talk about it much more.  Poor guy -- this is a hard change for him.  But I really want him to do it.  He's been slowly gaining weight the last year, after losing more than 50 pounds in the two years before that.  New much more stressful job and much less time for exercise has been hard on him.

ThyPeace, loves him to pieces for trying.

Well mine gave up coke already, amazing! Lol but he was already freaked abt the number of eggs and today we actually tested how many he could hold.....8 lol so let's just say he will not rely on eggs for his protein. He has not been as compliant as I have so I wonder how it will hit him.

Gosh! Is it Monday yet? We have date night tonight so I'm planning to have a glass or two of wine and hubby's family is celebrating Easter late, this Sunday, and this mentality has me feeling like "I gotta eat all this junk now because I can't have it Monday!"

Clearly I have issues to work on.

Hope it's ok if I said all that.

Hi -- I too am planning an April 20 start to the Whole 30.  Can I join your April 20 buddy group?  

I have always tried to go these things alone, and thought joining your thread and buddy group might make me more successful this time around.  I am feeling and doing many of things you all are writing about here in preparing for this big event!

I live with my sister, and we did 21 days of the Whole 30 last December.  We were hosting the family for the holidays, and knew from the start that we wouldn't make it through the full 30 days with so many pushes and pulls on our time.  I do remember going through many of the stages described on the website in the first 10 days, so I am nervous that I will get derailed by feeling like crap in the next week or so.  I do remember having an overall sense of better health even after 21 days.  And a sense of accomplishment at having made it that far.

I am doing the Whole 30 to regain that feeling of health that I recall.  I'm also hoping it will address the feeling of exhasution I often have, despite getting plenty of sleep, and not doing much in terms of working out.  I also think that I have some mild allergies to foods that have made it really hard for me to lose weight.  I seem to have fallen into a pattern of accepting a new norm instead of digging for a better answer.  I am hoping the next 30 days, and perhaps more importantly the slow and mindful reentry of foods will help me figure out what the problem foods might be.

I want to start April 20th also and I need a buddy or 2. I have tried before and didn't go so well. I Can do grain free. I have been doing the paleo thing here and there but it's sweets and dairy I have a hard time giving up plus it's hard when there is still stuff in the house for the hubby and kids. If anything else I would just like to do this to prove to myself that I can. That I will survive without sugar.

Hi!  Can I jump in with you, too?  Starting Monday.  Our family has been grain free for three years but we're all hooked on sugar.  Also, gluten free convenience foods are creeping in.  I'm hoping to break the sugar addiction, stop hives from dairy, and feel good again!

Cheryl

Archived