April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

I just made it through a winery tour and tasting without giving in and drinking any of the wine! It is a beautiful day and we had a group of about 25 people and we sat outside after our tour with everyone drinking and snacking on cheese and crackers and chocolate. I had a bowl of carrots and some sparkling juice and it still was great fun. Small victory for me. :)

Two weeks done. Does it seem like the next two weeks will take FOREVER???

That's a HUGE victory in my book. Way to go Jen75!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All,

I haven't posted in a while, but have enjoyed reading everyone's posts.  I've been busy, but overall feeling pretty good -- I think the change in my attitude toward life is what is most obvious for me -- more than the change in my skin, weight or clothes sizes (though I sure wish those things would kick in soon...).

I'd been eating mostly out of my own kitchen until Friday night when I met some friends for a pre-movie dinner.  I arrived late and lots of dishes-to-share had been ordered, all of which I checked off as non-compliant except some asparagus and mushrooms (which may have been cooked with some Mirin, which would actually make them non-compliant too, but I can't confirm so I am calling it good :-)  That was a hard evening -- I went to the movie hungry, and the smell of popcorn became more appealing as time went on...but I stayed compliant!

Today, like several other folks, I am feeling tired.  I have a pile of work that is due Tuesday at 9am, and I can't seem to find the mental focus to get it done.  Mental focus and a decrease in procrastination was one of the things I had noticed improving, but today, its out the door.  Could it be the asparagus?  I'm going to call it a night and hope that tomorrow finds me able to bang all that stuff out!

Congrats to all on Day 14!

N

Day 15 everyone! Just thinking about the number 15 got me through the weekend but it was hard. This past week I didn't have any cravings at all, but definitely felt deprived of things I'm missing. My daughter is home from school now and she's going to be my workout buddy so I'm hoping the extra activity will bring some welcome change to my routine. I do think that getting to the halfway point is a huge accomplishment so give yourselves a pat on the back, people, and keep it up!

hey everyone! day 15 - the halfway point! 

i had a headache all day yesterday. it actually woke me up several times in the night, then last night i didn't sleep much either. i'm blaming the full moon, or maybe this is just the midway lag? or that it's monday. ha. 

anyway...my breakfast was way too small this morning because my kids were insane and i'm already hungry and it's only 9:30. perhaps i'll see if i can acquire a HB egg in the work caf since i didn't bring snacks. 

awesome job to everyone who has survived eating out, long days, crazy work schedules, and non-compliant social commitments! you guys are all bada$$ and it does help to have this forum to hold me accountable. 

tonight: making the shrimp + zoodles + romesco from the new book. p.s. the cold thai salad is amazing :).

That's a HUGE victory in my book. Way to go Jen75!

I agree!  Wow!!!

DAY 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   We made it almost to the halfway point, wahooo!!!!!!!  Part of me is so surprised I got this far and the other part of me is dreading 15 more days.  I really need to mix up the food and find new recipes.  Still going strong though.  This week's goals are to work on getting more sleep, exercise and being more conscientious/less distracted while eating!

How not to do a Whole30 day, but still be compliant: 

Wake up at 7am to get ready for the moving sale.  Hear the first truck pull in at 7:30 (I thought we were starting at 9, but DH but 8 on the signs and in the ad, argh!) while I was drying my hair.  Ran downstairs without eating or drinking anything and started selling stuff.  At 10am, I realized I was lightheaded.  Made some tea and grabbed raisins and almonds.  Kept selling stuff.  DH finally went to pick up the mail and go to the bank at noon.  He picked up Wendy's for us -- double burgers with bacon, lettuce, and tomato (and nothing else), side salads, and baked potatoes.  Added vinegar, oil, and butter from home.  But.... we were still selling things.  So I didn't actually eat any of it until after 2pm and ate most of it around 3:30pm.  Waaaaaaaaay too long without food.  I had not had anywhere near enough to drink either.  Headache, stomachache, sunburn, ugh.  Lay on the couch for five minutes and nearly fell asleep, but the guy who bought the mower came to get it so that woke me up again.  Kept working on cleanup from the sale until 9pm, when we finally had the truck loaded with everything that had to go to GoodWill.  Drove into town and found the place we'd planned to go to was closed, so stopped at the local Mexican place.  One of the boys worked there for a while, so I have some info on the ingredients they use.

Fiesta fajitas:  Chicken, shrimp, scallops, green onion, red peppers, green peppers, and pineapple.  We skipped all the sides except the lettuce and guacamole. 

We ate every. single. bit.

ThyPeace, does not recommend days like that.  But we survived.

I had a headache this morning too. I ate up a bunch of sweet potatoes and drank a lot of water. Seems to have fixed it. Our weather has been crazy, cold, then hot, then rainy.

I think I'm having an issue with my kombucha so I'm going to lay off it for a couple days. Anyone else brew their own?

I too think my attitude is improving. And my yoga pants are loose. I had to tie them up with a string on my run Saturday. Kinda funny. I am resisting the scale!!

Tomorrow I'm doing something with chicken thighs.

Wow! The headaches must be catching. I had a migraine (at least what felt like the start of one) rear it's head last night. I went to bed and slept through the night. But, it was still threatening when I woke up. Took the meds and it went away.

The Cinnamon Beef Stew is even better the second day! Went to the grocery store and got two cartons of strawberries and a cantaloupe among other things. The produce guy said cherries are coming in Wednesday at $4.99/pound. I *LOVE* cherries! Woo Hoo!

Have stuff to make Chocolate Chili again tomorrow (need to pull the ground beef out of the freezer).

Ya know, having to report to you all that I fell off the wagon is a HUGE piece that's keeping me compliant.

Just sayin'

much better and headache-free today! hope you all are as well. i slept like a baby last night - it was amazing :)

day 16!! no tiger blood yet, i don't think, but feeling good. i made this sweet potato crust kale & sausage quiche for breakfast this morning and it was tastyyyy! 

penlyn - i can't wait for cherries!!

• Administrators

much better and headache-free today! hope you all are as well. i slept like a baby last night - it was amazing :)

day 16!! no tiger blood yet, i don't think, but feeling good. i made this sweet potato crust kale & sausage quiche for breakfast this morning and it was tastyyyy! 

penlyn - i can't wait for cherries!!

Sometimes "tiger blood" is exactly what you're feeling.  Just....good.  Overall.  Good.  Sleeping well, feeling well, happy, cruising along.  Don't discount the greatness you're feeling now because of something that may or may not come and wallop you on the head.  "Good" is what we're aiming for!  :D

Day what? 16? I'm back to feeling great. Hope to get some good sleep tonight!

Someone said their "tigers blood" was not so much crazy energy but more like it was easier to do the things they had to do. They didn't procrastinate as much. Which is where I think I'm at. I vacuumed and mopped the floors today and folded and put away laundry. Before I'd be so tired and lazy I would probably just vacuum in my wrinkly clothes and do nothing else. Lol. (I'm painting a very glamorous picture of life at night house, aren't I?)

I'm here and working through things.  Four days of moving Very Heavy And Awkward Objects has reminded me just how much more fit I could be.  That's not going to be right away, but some day I do hope to find a way to spend an hour in the garden every day.  Weeding and digging and puttering are much better energy than typing.  :)

My major accomplishment for today isn't actually mine.  But I'm happy about it anyway.  DD actually asked for a salad in her lunch!  This is a kid who has been eating mostly cheese and white flour for the last year.  Salad!  With romaine lettuce, carrots, olive slices, grape tomatoes, ranch dressing, and wanton strips!  Hallelujah!! (She would have had bacon, too, but we used it up at supper.)

Seriously, it's been a long while since she asked for a fruit or vegetable.  I've had to really be strict just to get two or three servings in a day.  And I'm not talking Whole30 size servings either.  But hey, I will ride the salad train for as long as it lasts.  I am sure her body is screaming for a whole slew of nutrients.  (She had chicken noodle soup and tortilla chips with her salad.  One step at a time...)

ThyPeace, had salad tonight, too.  Added tuna, olive oil, and red pepper, subtracted the wanton strips.  Probably didn't have enough to eat.

Rissee, I think your description of tiger blood making it easier to do things matches what I'm feeling. I'm finding it nearly impossible to sit still for an extended period of time. I'm keeping busy with all kinds of things around the house and at work, and doing all the food prep everyday doesn't bother me anymore. The butcher at Whole Foods asked me today if I was doing Whole30. He had done one before and really liked it. All the money I'm saving on wine is being spent at the meat counter, it seems!

Hi Gang,

It's getting quiet here. Is everyone over at facebook? Went skiing yesterday (yes, there's still skiing in Colorado) for a couple of hours. Lunch after was a HUGE salad from the Whole Foods salad bar. Found some homemade balsamic dressing that was complaint. Was so hungry and tired later I almost had a big bowl of popcorn for dinner. But, had grilled chicken thighs, spaghetti squash and sunshine sauce with a salad instead. Also, roasted more sweet potatoes.

Got to find another breakfast other than the Sunshine Scramble. I do like it, I'm just over it. May try to make Choco Chili tonight to have in the morning.

How is everyone?

Hi Penlyn: so jealous of the skiing! Things are going very smoothly with me and I'm trying hard not to look ahead. My favorite breakfast has gotten to be sautéed kale, with hard boiled egg and avocado stirred in. Maybe it's just me, but it's surprisingly good. Avocados are yummy and cheap now in Texas, and the ruby red grapefruit is fantastic this year.

DH and I have debated about the green stuff that should go in eggs.  After much debate, we finally tried sauteeing a package of cole slaw with chopped onion and mushrooms.  Quick, easy, tasty, and leaves many fewer bits of stuff in DH's teeth.  Success!

ThyPeace, notes that it's pretty tasty with almost any seasoning, but likes cooking it in coconut oil and then adding something spicy after it's done.

Well I had a day very similar to yours thy peace only I was shopping for girl scout stuff and running kids around. Definitely not good to wait to eat and not drink enough.

Still getting sleepy earlier than I would like but I keeps me going to bed early too. Back to getting 8 hours. Kinda over the food even though I like it, it would just be nice to occasionally add some other things or grab something.

Popcorn, corn in general is something I miss.

Hi everyone!

I feel like it was kinda quiet on Facebook too today.

Where are we? Day 17?

I found compliant sausage at the health food store. Did I mention that already? Sorry if I did. I've been eating that plus eggs and veggies for breakfast. I think it's the best sausage I've ever had. Or maybe that's the whole 30 talking.

Bluetrav, it's kinda cool right? I don't have the sense of "doom" or "ah crap another day!" every morning when I wake up. I'm keeping up with my kids, not usually napping and I swear I'm a kinder, gentler mother. That right there is enough for me. I love those boys but they test my patience. This morning I was even up before my 5 month old and I didn't feel tired. I don't feel like garbage anymore. It's amazing.

Still here! Have been very busy at work and kids stuff and haven't had much time for anything else. Im thrilled I made it this far! Now I just need to add exercise!! The food part has gotten easy for me and I'm ok not having the other foods for now. The end is getting closer! I can't wait to see how I react to the different food groups!

I'm still here, just about to put Day 17 to bed!  Although I am definitely feeling the benefits of the W30, mine are more like what Bluetrav and Risee described - things don't seem as hard, and I'm procrastinating less.  Its reassuring to hear that not everyone is sensing Tiger Blood.  I have to say I felt better at the end of last week than I do now.  I feel more tired now, and the two vigorous walks I've taken in the last few days have left me sore -- and they are the same walks I have been doing for the last month.  Hmm, not sure why that would be true.  Anyone else feeling this way?

I'm also realizing that I am not sleeping that well because  have to get up and use the bathroom once or twice a night.  Perhaps I'm drinking too much water?  How is everyone else finding sleep?  Better?

I have found my favorite breakfast -- I sliced kabocha squash and roasted it, sprinkling it with Magic Mushroom powder (both recipes are on Nom Nom Paleo).  I eat a few slices of that with an egg fried in coconut oil, and maybe a little avocado on top.  Its definitely the highlight of my morning!  I am sad to see that Kabocha season is ending soon, and I'll have to look for another delicious breakfast.  You all have posted lots of great ideas though!

good night!

N

Day 18! We are observing Screen-Free Week at our house (except for the times when I sneak off with my laptop into the laundry room so the kids don't see) - I was wondering if that was the reason for the quietness. :) Maybe just on my part.

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I had to drive 1 1/2 hours in the evening to see my Mom get an award so I made something in the crockpot (more on that later), ate my dinner early at 4:45 and then got the kids set with the babysitter so I could leave at 5:30. Went to the thing and as I was driving home after 9:00 I developed a killer headache and just felt horribly shaky... I got home, went straight to the couch, and asked my husband if we still had any cut up carrots or red peppers from dinner - there were 4 pepper slices left so I ate them and within 10 minutes headache was gone and shakes were gone. I found that fascinating. The only "snacks" I had thrown in for the car ride were some shelled pistachios and dried apricots and I may have eaten too many of those on my way home initially so thinking my blood sugar might have been out of whack. ?? I also totally forgot to take any water with me.

I made the Korean Short Ribs from Nom Nom Paleo yesterday in the crockpot. I would not recommend. They weren't awful but the meat cost $50!!! and it wasn't spectacular like so many other dishes we've all been trying. Maybe someday I'll try with a less expensive cut of beef.

Baby had me up at 4:45AM so it will be a napping day today. I definitely don't have the sleep thing figured out but I blame my many external alarm clocks. :)

So glad so many are still doing well and I love all these food ideas. I don't even know what Kabocha looks like (although have seen the recipe so I guess I know it looks squash-like when cooked). Will have to check that out.

I'm also realizing that I am not sleeping that well because  have to get up and use the bathroom once or twice a night.  Perhaps I'm drinking too much water?  How is everyone else finding sleep?  Better?

Me too!!!  The sleep is something I've been looking forward to.  However, because I drink so much more water now I wake up in the middle of the night.  I've been experimenting this week and trying to get more of my water during the day and not drinking much after dinner.  It has helped!  No tiger blood here either but I think that's because I'm not getting the recommended 8-9 hours of sleep a night.  I'm finding it challenging to have enough time for the food prep and all my other chores that I can't seem to get to bed early most nights.  I also need to add exercise in there still (besides walking the dog). 

Overall, though, I'm surprised at how the food part isn't really bothering me now.  I don't mind the foods I eat.  I am tiring of the strictness a little bit out of boredom but I'm not craving sweets anymore!!!  I feel like I've probably lost a little weight too since my pants don't feel as tight. 

Archived