April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

I listened to Alice Cooper's 'I'm 18' this morning and I've been singing it to myself since then. I'm 18 and I like it! Feeling good today, but is anyone getting really tired of eggs? As far as drinking water and getting up at night, that's me too...even when I stop drinking water 3 hours before bed.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Penlyn: so jealous of the skiing! Things are going very smoothly with me and I'm trying hard not to look ahead. My favorite breakfast has gotten to be sautéed kale, with hard boiled egg and avocado stirred in. Maybe it's just me, but it's surprisingly good. Avocados are yummy and cheap now in Texas, and the ruby red grapefruit is fantastic this year.

Hey Bluetrav: We moved up to Vail from Houston last year. How are the peaches?

for breakfast i've been doing leftovers and i've really enjoyed the respite from eggs - had leftover spaghetti squash with homemade tomato sauce and meatballs the other day and it was a perfect breakfast. this morning i sauteed some baby bok choy and had that with some chicken apple sausage (that sausage is heavenly delicious). i also made a quiche with kale and sausage with a sweet potato crust and had that for two days (four meals since DH ate it too). it was quite delish also. happy to share the recipe if anyone wants!

anyway...i am still here! such a busy week at work, but it's making the days go fast, i guess. i, too, am semi-bored by the food, but i've been less creative with lunches and dinners this week and i feel like it's just been one salad after another. might make some more meatballs tonight or do some salmon. we shall see. i also think it's kind of refreshing that food isn't my source of joy/self-admonishment right now - slowly slowly breaking the mental hold, maybe? 

bluetrav - what part of texas are you in? i'm in austin and we are starting to see local peaches. we'll probably go do some peach picking in the hill country in a few weeks :).

nucella - definitely try drinking your water earlier in the day. i start right when i wake up and usually get a gallon+ in by dinner time and don't drink after that. i also looooove salt, so maybe that is helping? ha.

mishyloo - i need to add exercise in too...why is it so hard to create a routine for that? it wasn't hard at all to get into a decent food routine (compared to what i thought it would be), but i just cannot figure out when i'm supposed to work out and what that workout would entail. i also feel like i'm out of shape which limits my options. 

jen - crazy about your shakiness! are you BFing your little one? wondering if you're getting enough calories if you are, since that could make you shaky/light-headed? could also make you dehydrate more easily/faster? 

• Administrators

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I had to drive 1 1/2 hours in the evening to see my Mom get an award so I made something in the crockpot (more on that later), ate my dinner early at 4:45 and then got the kids set with the babysitter so I could leave at 5:30. Went to the thing and as I was driving home after 9:00 I developed a killer headache and just felt horribly shaky... I got home, went straight to the couch, and asked my husband if we still had any cut up carrots or red peppers from dinner - there were 4 pepper slices left so I ate them and within 10 minutes headache was gone and shakes were gone. I found that fascinating. The only "snacks" I had thrown in for the car ride were some shelled pistachios and dried apricots and I may have eaten too many of those on my way home initially so thinking my blood sugar might have been out of whack. ?? I also totally forgot to take any water with me.

That could totally be it, the apricots.  That's a pretty large sugar hit for a body that is no longer used to dealing with sugar floods.

We're in Fort Worth and no peaches have really came in. I haven't heard anything abt the local orchards.

yeah - there haven't been too many yet - just saw a few at the grocery store on sunday. i feel like they're usually late may/early june when the bombardment hits.

Oh hey I have family in Fort Worth! I'm in Houston but moving to Austin next month. Can't wait to hit the farmers' markets! Haven't really seen peaches here yet but I bet they'll be good with all the rain we had this spring. Piper I'd love that quiche recipe. So funny that spaghetti squash and meatballs sounds like such a great breakfast after my parade of eggs!

breakfast quiche!

ingredients:

sweet potato - peeled and shredded

cooking fat (i think avocado oil is easiest)

kale or some other greens

sausage - i used aidell's chicken apple sausage that we grilled the night before

8 eggs

shred your sweet potato. you may need two depending on the size. toss some fat on them then press them into the base of a pie plate. bake on 425 for about 20 minutes. 

while that's baking, saute your greens in the rest of the fat and whisk your eggs in a bowl. season them how you like (i just do salt and pepper and sometimes a lil ground mustard). take the "crust" out the oven, layer the sausage on top, then the kale, then pour the egg mixture over the whole she-bang. lower your oven temp to 350 and put it back in for about 30-40 minutes. watch it because the crust/top of the eggs can get a little too crispy before the eggs cook all the way through, so you may need to put a piece of foil over it. 

it keeps well in the fridge and you can toss it back in the oven or toaster oven on 325-350 for 10-15 minutes to heat it back up the next day. i served mine with some berries one day, and leftover broccoli and prosciutto-wrapped asparagus the other day :)

Hey ladies!! I got sucked into Facebook and forgot to come back to our Forum page! Looks like I missed a lot! I enjoyed reading through and seeing the progress from Day 8 onward!

Wanted to share a few of our fave meals from Well Fed. The Shepherds Pie was delish! The Butternut Squash which was a fun, unique new spicy sensation with the Raas al Hanout, I served it with sauteed turkey cutlets. 

Some of our lunchtime faves are tuna salad, chicken salad or leftovers. 

Made our first breakfast bake for a busy day yesterday. Chopped what veggies I had (onion, zuchinni, sweet potato), added homemade breakfast sausage (just crumbled not patties) and poured over 10 whipped up eggs. Baked at 400 about 25 minutes in a 9x13 glass dish. Yummy and so convenient! Served over a pile of fresh spinach. 

Made some yummy zoodles & shrimp with lime and cumin. Just used a julienne peeler and it worked great. Made the Well Fed cucumber salad to go with burgers earlier this week and my 9 year old absolutely loved it and took some for lunch the next 3 days. 

Happy Day 19!! (I think)

Today my big goals are to go for a run, clean up the whole house, and meal prep like crazy for our weekend trip. I think I'll make....

An egg bake

Cauliflower Rice

Cauli Hummus

Czech Meatballs

Tuna Salad

.....???

Any other ideas for good travel food? We will have a kitchen in the apartment we're renting. Not sure if we are brave enough to eat out or risk not having food with us, we have the added challenge of language barrier when eating out here. 

Today my big goals are to go for a run, clean up the whole house, and meal prep like crazy for our weekend trip. I think I'll make....

An egg bake

Cauliflower Rice

Cauli Hummus

Czech Meatballs

Tuna Salad

.....???

Any other ideas for good travel food? We will have a kitchen in the apartment we're renting. Not sure if we are brave enough to eat out or risk not having food with us, we have the added challenge of language barrier when eating out here. 

maybe pre-cut veggies for easy snacks? baby carrots and broccoli florets and celery, etc. and nuts? even though i know we're not supposed to rely on them super heavily, they are nice in a pinch. and olives. and hard-boiled eggs. 

Several folks have mentioned food boredom.  When I get bored with my meals, I make curry.  So easy, so delicious!  You can do it with curry paste, curry powder, whatever. Here's the basic recipe:

Chicken Curry

Coconut Oil

Vegetables

Chicken

Salt and pepper

Ginger

Garlic

Dried or fresh hot pepper (optional)

Coconut milk

Curry paste or curry powder (if you use paste, check for non-compliant ingredients)

Fish sauce (make sure it doesn't have non-compliant ingredients -- it should be just anchovies and salt, with maybe some other spices)

Lime juice

Chop up a pile of vegetables.  A big pile.  I usually include onion, carrot, mushrooms, bell pepper, potato, snap peas, and a green of some sort -- kale, cabbage, whatever.  You'll need about a quarter of a cutting board per serving.  if you're using potatoes, chop them and then microwave them in a little water until they're soft.  They take forever on the stove.

Chop chicken into bite size pieces.  You'll need a fist-sized amount per person.  Add salt and pepper and let sit while you heat coconut oil in a sautee pan.  Starting with the "hard" vegetables (onions, carrots, etc.), saute the vegetables in a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil.  When they're done, take them out of the pan and set them aside.  

Add more coconut oil and add the meat.  Brown it on each side, then push it to the edges and add the ginger, garlic and pepper.  Cook until it smells awesome.  Pour in your coconut milk (one can is pretty good for 4-6 servings of curry), add curry paste/powder, and simmer the chicken for a few minutes until it's cooked through.  Add the vegetables and stir.  Toss in about a tablespoon of fish sauce and finish with lime juice.

Serve in a bowl and expect people to go back for seconds.  Awesome stuff.  

ThyPeace, chicken saag is just as easy and delicious too.

• Moderators

i'll look on the other forums, but does anyone have suggestions for alternatives to worcestershire sauce? i love to make a steak marinated in a little bit....

Google Whole30 Worcestershire sauce -- I know I've seen recipes for one before.

Happy day 20! Yesterday I didn't like anything I ate. Just poor planning on my part and having to make do with what was available. Going to be more creative today. So happy to finally be in the 20s though! Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi Everyone! We're 2/3 of the way through!

Still going well. Yesterday morning I had dreams about pastries. Lots and lots of pastries. I'd be eating from a bowl of nuts and all of a sudden the bowl would be filled with those chocolate-filled puff pastries. I kept digging around trying to find the nuts. Everything I ate turned into pastries as I started to take a bite. What's up with that?

Big dilemma: one of our favorite restaurants is closing next weekend. We have reservations Saturday night. I'm strongly considering going off-plan early so I can enjoy a glass of wine on their last night.

Working on planning food for the week. We've got a "big storm" headed our way. . .or so they say. May try to go to CostCo tomorrow for olive oil, coconut oil and sweet potatoes. Have to see what the weather is like.

Lol I have been fixated on cherry danish!

Wine wouldn't be worth it for me but I am not a drinker.

I need to plan better. I have plenty of meat in the house but no real clear picture of what we are having so I keep cooking up protein and some veggies. I guess I need a more complex recipe!

I think aside from Thanksgiving I've never bought sweet potatoes. Now we always have them on hand. Got a ton of exercise today and believe it or not made cauliflower rice for the first time. Who knew it was so good?! I made it with onion, chopped roasted cashews, lemon zest and fresh mint. After yesterday's disappointing meals, today was a vast improvement.

Archived