April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

Grilled peaches. . . .yum. . . .with honey. . .. yum.

Got up this morning and didn't really have anything I wanted for breakfast. Roasted a bunch of sweet potatoes, parsnips, etc. and had them with scrambled eggs. Just getting hungry now. Had a few macadamia nuts. I'm waiting for a friend to get out of a procedure at the surgery center. Lunch after I get him home. I should have planned better.

i always forget about macadamia nuts, but i used to make this dressing all the time. it would probably be delicious even without the honey, but maybe for reintro? it's realllllly yummy over a pile of steamed veggies. 

• For The Dressing
    • 3 tablespoons fresh citrus juice (any combination of lime, lemon, and orange)
    • 1 teaspoon raw apple-cider vinegar
    • 1/2 teaspoon honey
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, plus sprigs for garnish
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus leaves for garnish
    • 4 fresh basil leaves, sliced, plus leaves for garnish
    • 1/4 cup raw macadamia nuts, toasted and finely chopped
    • Coarse salt

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else making a mental list of all the bad foods they are going to eat once we are done? This just started today but I feel slightly obsessed with thinking of all the non-compliant foods I will soon be able to eat. And yet, I feel great not eating them so I really don't want to go there. Must get out of this mindset!! I let my 9 year old make chocolate chip cookies to take to her last German class tonight so I think the temptation sitting on the counter might be getting to me.

I just invited some friends and their kids over for brunch Sunday. I'll make some frittatas and have some fruit trays and veggies trays. Trying to think of a good hot vegetable dish that would be delicious for a brunch - something to take the place of the cheesy potatoes that I would have had in the past. Any ideas?

I just invited some friends and their kids over for brunch Sunday. I'll make some frittatas and have some fruit trays and veggies trays. Trying to think of a good hot vegetable dish that would be delicious for a brunch - something to take the place of the cheesy potatoes that I would have had in the past. Any ideas?

how about sweet potato hashbrowns? or packets - slice up a peeled sweet potato with some onions, evoo or coconut oil, a little citrus juice and zest then bake or grill for 15-20 minutes. or roasted garlic carrots? or a salad with beets and orange slices and avocado? 

I am not particularly looking forward to the end of this Whole30 in terms of foods that I want to add back in.  Oh, there are a few things I'd like to have -- DH reminded me of some delicious home-made nachos we made on New Year's Day, for example.  Chips, taco meat, lots of veggies, and goat cheddar.  I had a bit of a stomach ache afterward, but they were so good that I would have them again occasionally.  Like twice a year.

And I have a hankering for split pea soup that I am looking forward to satisfying, though it may be too warm for it by the time we're done.  

But the "regular" junk foods that I craved during my first Whole30 have pretty much lost their appeal.  Health really does feel better than sweets or junk taste.

ThyPeace, notes that grilled peaches do not need any sweetening at all.  Just spray or brush with oil and cook flat side down until there are nice dark grill marks.  Heavenly.  You can do bananas that way too -- split lengthwise and leave the peel on until you're done cooking.

Piper, you have the best recipes! If you have a Whole Foods nearby, I've been getting their bulk turkey sausage for breakfast. Our local store seasons it like mild Italian sausage, but you can add more zing to it if you'd like. I cook some off and add it to sweet potatoes, similar to what Piper mentions above. Had my second food dream last night. I dreamed I ate a big bag of potato chips and my husband made a crack about it. I'm sure there's a reason I'm dreaming about salty & crunchy snacks, but oddly these aren't on my post-30 wish list. Can you believe we're in our final week? Great work everyone!

In regards to supplements, I take a fish oil and fenugreek. I usually take a prenatal vitamin but I couldn't figure out if it was compliant so I figured I could skip it for 30 days. I was told the fish oil is like a "brain bath" and I like that idea so I take it. I'll have to see what brand it is if anyone wants to know. It was recommended on Chris Kresser's website. He has a post about some of the best fish oils. The fenugreek is for my paltry breast milk supply. I don't know if it helps but it's compliant and my brain thinks it helps so I continue.

I am taking a lot of supplements right now. Some have a little soy (I noticed last night). Need them. Taking them until I don't.

Cooked quite a bit yesterday - tomato sauce and chicken meatballs. My spiralizer came in yesterday so I made zoodles last night. Not sure I like them better than spaghetti squash. Will try them again today. Also, made mayo and tartar sauce for salmon cakes.

Feeling a bit blah for some reason.

Found more cherries at the store today for $3.99. YUM!

Piper: That recipe looks amazing!

Yeah, smells like maple syrup. I don't think I smell like it anymore or maybe I'm just used to it. I noticed my d supplement has soy in it in my first attempt so I skip those now. And my damn tuna!! Is nothing sacred?!? Lol.

Is anyone else making a mental list of all the bad foods they are going to eat once we are done? This just started today but I feel slightly obsessed with thinking of all the non-compliant foods I will soon be able to eat. And yet, I feel great not eating them so I really don't want to go there. Must get out of this mindset!! I let my 9 year old make chocolate chip cookies to take to her last German class tonight so I think the temptation sitting on the counter might be getting to me.

Jen,  I think you're correct.   The cookies have stirred up cravings.    The mental list is one you should use Control Alt Delete for and scrap.   If I could relay to you all of the Whole 30 members that have ended their Day 31's eating all non-compliant foods in one day's time and the stomach miseries and mental angst that goes along with it.....I would.

I'm rethinking going off on Saturday. In general I'm feeling so good. I have had a couple of stomach hick-ups (one yesterday for no reason that makes sense). There are all those non-compliant foods I keep thinking about. But, is it really worth it? Just not sure right now. . . .

• Administrators

I worry abt slipping back into old habits.

Are you planning on doing a proper reintroduction? If so, you'll know how different foods affect you. If not and you just start eating mixes of non compliant foods (baked goods, dairy/sugar combos etc) you won't be able to make a plan going forward that works specifically for you.

Making a plan, Jill, a program designed by you for your life with rules and guidelines that work for you, is the way to prevent going back to old habits. Make these your new habits.

Jill - I think there are many people that slip back into old habits (that would be the reason this is my 5th or 6th attempt at Whole30 and 3rd time finishing!) but at least you will know that you did feel better eating this way so if you start going over the deep end (like I do EVERY HOLIDAY!), you can reset and it is all good.

Penny - I think you might regret not trying for the 30 days... consider pushing through!

I think I had commented on this toward the beginning but my 9 year old was very anti-breakfast and I tried everything I could think of to at least get her to eat something (which did not include toast, bagels, waffles, etc. as I don't buy those anymore). She refused eggs and doesn't like the idea of leftovers. On mother's day she made me an omelet with my husband's help for our "first breakfast". She decided to try some and has had an omelet every day since! Another small victory!

Have also found that since I've been trying to not make a big deal out of food but rather just expect everyone to try everything and then leave it at that, that our mealtimes have become much less chaotic. And when we have gone out to eat I've let the kids order whatever they want - which always ends up being Mac n Cheese - and the last two times none of my three kids who order it have finished. Not that they are eating tons of vegetables instead, but I think they are noticing it might not be as delicious as they think. So thank you to all of you who had offered suggestions about kids early on!

Andrea - I'm getting ready to make goulash - I think you had posted a recipe a while back. That is another thing my 9 year old really liked when we were on vacation and I've never made it.

My daughter won't always eat usually I can get a banana or apple in her, 2 of her favorite things. When she first started school I would get up and make a breakfast for everyone and most wdn't get eaten, even my husband's soooo, I stopped doing that.

Now I feel like trying again maybe making it a summer project to slowly get them eating more and better for breakfast.

day 25! hey everyone - i've been slammed at work and at home, so i'm just catching up on the past day and a half now. 

i think i'm having weird anxiety about reintro. there are things i miss, but i'm also nervous about even a slow/prescribed reintro. i feel halfway in control of my brain around food for the first time in my life right now and it's super scary to think about trying stuff that triggers me (for me: cheese, chips, anything involving a tortilla).

anyway. i've got a reunion dinner with some fellow mba alums on saturday and i'd looooove to be able to have a glass of wine for that, but! it will be day 27. so i will stay strong. 

Archived