Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JillP

April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

Ahh! I am making it through day 1 but the diet-coke/caffeine withdrawl headache is alive and well.  Ugh.  The food has been the easy part today!  I've told several of my friends, two of whom are colleagues, and they are joining in a fashion :-)  

Made it through Day 1. More cooking tonight - roasted spaghetti squash, beets and Brussels sprouts. Steamed broccoli and yellow squash. Also made one of the dipping sauces. Put a list on the white board in the kitchen of everything in the fridge so I know what I have. Ran out of storage containers with lids. I've got bowls and bowls and containers covered in Press 'n Seal. Gotta fix that situation fast. Still a couple of more recipes in the queue to fix tomorrow. A soup and I can't remember what else. Oh, chicken thighs.

Dinner was more pot roast with the mayo (made with avocado oil), zucchini, yellow squash and Brussels sprouts with some strawberries. I couldn't eat it all. YEA!

Sugar cravings. . . that's another story. I'm having a lot of head hunger (just some of that toasted coconut, it's so good!) when I'm not hungry.

Looking forward to more chili and veggies for breakfast tomorrow.

And - new cookbooks arrive tomorrow! YEA!

Great job today everyone!

I'd like to join in too! This is my first Whole30. My goal is to slay the sugar dragon, adopt a healthier eating lifestyle and hopefully shed some pounds! Today is day 2. I woke up feeling a little nauseous but feel better having eaten my egg frittata. :-) cooking and planning will be my hurdle! And I'm the only one in the house doing it (live with husband and 2 kids) but I'm hoping to lead by example. :-)

Welcome to Day 2! 

Had a delicious breakfast of sweet potato, taco meat, red onion and eggs on the side. Stayed satisfied all morning!! Had lunch around 1230 anyway since we have to be out of the house for the next several hours. Made really tasty taco lettuce cups with the same ground meat, avocado, carmelized red onion and hot sauce. 

Noticing how much energy I have and I'm getting more done around the house since I'm not using constant snacking as an excuse to procrastinate, plus staying busy keeps me from wanting to snack from boredom. I even mowed the lawn, killed a ton of dandelions by hand and went for a 20 minute jog!

Funny story: Last night I finally flipped on the tv and I got the urge to snack (as I always do). I wasn't really hungry... then I decided I was hungry enough so I made a snack of toasted coconut and a few nuts. Well I remembered there was laundry to switch out so I told myself to go do that before I sat back down with the snack. While I was down there I realized I didn't really want the snack after all! It's STILL on my counter from last night. 

Poor DH is not feeling well, combo of jet lag and really bad hayfever that hopefully isn't turning into a sinus infection. I had him drink hot water with lemon first thing and he's been resting most of the day. On the plus side, he really likes all the food so far. Said he got hungry at work last nigh (he was there til 11 pm) but he survived. 

A couple of you mentioned ghee - do you make it or did you buy it?  I saw a jar in the store for $10.  That seemed expensive.  I don't remember the weight but it wasn't a huge bottle.

I bought a small jar of ghee from Trader Joe's yesterday. I believe it was $3.99 and probably about 8oz?  That's an estimate.  They also have canned light coconut milk for 99 cents.  I tried it in my coffee today with a dash of cinnamon and found that I could drink the coffee!  I tried black coffee the other day but I think it was hard to drink!

I make my o n clarified butter you lose maybe a quarter of it. Breakfast still remains hard to cook in the morning and get ate within an hour. If I feel hunger between lunch and dinner or after dinner I usually have a couple hard boiled egs and some sweet potato!

Welcome to Day 2! 

Had a delicious breakfast of sweet potato, taco meat, red onion and eggs on the side. Stayed satisfied all morning!! Had lunch around 1230 anyway since we have to be out of the house for the next several hours. Made really tasty taco lettuce cups with the same ground meat, avocado, carmelized red onion and hot sauce. 

Noticing how much energy I have and I'm getting more done around the house since I'm not using constant snacking as an excuse to procrastinate, plus staying busy keeps me from wanting to snack from boredom. I even mowed the lawn, killed a ton of dandelions by hand and went for a 20 minute jog!

Funny story: Last night I finally flipped on the tv and I got the urge to snack (as I always do). I wasn't really hungry... then I decided I was hungry enough so I made a snack of toasted coconut and a few nuts. Well I remembered there was laundry to switch out so I told myself to go do that before I sat back down with the snack. While I was down there I realized I didn't really want the snack after all! It's STILL on my counter from last night. 

Poor DH is not feeling well, combo of jet lag and really bad hayfever that hopefully isn't turning into a sinus infection. I had him drink hot water with lemon first thing and he's been resting most of the day. On the plus side, he really likes all the food so far. Said he got hungry at work last nigh (he was there til 11 pm) but he survived.

Nice job on the snacking distraction! Little recommendation is that if you are hungry between meals, have some protein and fat with a bit of veggies. Nuts and coconut on their own can be digestively distressing as well as sometimes being hand-to-mouth eating for some folks which can be awfully reminiscent of old behaviours.

Good Morning everyone! I'm not having breakfast within an hour of getting up generally. If I can I like to shower, walk the dogs (45-60 minutes), feed them, then feed me. Also, normally if I eat too early I have to eat again mid-morning. Trying to avoid that. The whole snacking thing is interesting. I used to snack constantly on almonds. Now, I'm staying out of the kitchen unless I'm cooking or need water or to get to the clothes washer/dryer. It is helping.

Any suggestions on where to get storage containers? I prefer glass since even BPA-free can still contain toxins.

Today's breakfast: spaghetti squash with chili on top (Cincinati-style), yellow squash, a few strawberries.

LadyShanny: Thanks for the info.

C_stadt: I got some ghee at whole foods. Honestly, I don't remember how much it was. Last time I used it I didn't go through it fast at all.

Whole30 book, Well Fed, and Well Fed 2 should arrive today!

Good Morning everyone! I'm not having breakfast within an hour of getting up generally. If I can I like to shower, walk the dogs (45-60 minutes), feed them, then feed me. Also, normally if I eat too early I have to eat again mid-morning. Trying to avoid that. 

Any suggestions on where to get storage containers? I prefer glass since even BPA-free can still contain toxins.

Hey Penlyn,

Not eating within an hour of waking is actually a really big sign that your hormones are out of whack. :(

If you can't eat a full meal, at least eat a mini meal of protein and fat (hard boiled egg w/ mayo, chicken thigh & olives etc) before your walk.  Then come home and eat.  Getting food in first thing in the morning tells your body that the day has started.   

If you eat a large enough breakfast you should be able to get 4-5 hours out of it.  I eat at 6:30am and then lunch is between 12 and 12:30, no problem.  I really encourage you to give this a try as this rebalancing of hormones is a huge part of the overall rebalancing and eventually magical feelings that people get later on in the program.

As far as the containers go, I got our glass locking containers from Costco. 

So I have chili simmering, one serving in crock with cocoa! Boiling 2 dozen eggs, roasting a spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes.

I use plastic cuz a 5 & 6 break a lot! Glass will wait until they are a bit older! Lol

I have gotten to abt 1.5 hours after waking for breakfast.

I am drinking 120 oz of water.

Also sometimes I do the hard boiled egg and sweet potato first thing if I know it will be a while before breakfast. The sweet potat has c parities butter and cinnamon.

One quick question: Has anyone subscribed to the daily newsletter? It may be too late now, but I'm just wondering about the content.

Hi penlyn,

I just subscribed today!  I was originally not going to spend the money, but I figure the daily emails will help me stay motivated on track.  At the end of the day there's a link you click to say whether you stayed compliant all day or not.  That may help me too.    When you go to sign up it asks for a date.  I put in today's date then sent them an email asking for the emails to be re-set with my start date of 4/20

I'm on day 2.  Both days have been a struggle with HUNGER!!!!  I am pretty sure my meals are big enough.  It's just a hard adjustment because I used to snack all day long!!!  This morning I ate a frittata that had eggs, beef, onions, and spinach.  I ate some grape tomatoes on the side and had a cup of coffee and small amount of fruit at 6:30am.  By 9:30am I was hungry already but I pushed it off until later and started eating at 11:30.  I was STARVING!!!  Is this just my body getting used to the different nutrition or should I let myself have a snack?  I'm trying to be totally Whole30 compliant and the book said to avoid snacking too much.

I'm on day 2.  Both days have been a struggle with HUNGER!!!!  I am pretty sure my meals are big enough.  It's just a hard adjustment because I used to snack all day long!!!  This morning I ate a frittata that had eggs, beef, onions, and spinach.  I ate some grape tomatoes on the side and had a cup of coffee and small amount of fruit at 6:30am.  By 9:30am I was hungry already but I pushed it off until later and started eating at 11:30.  I was STARVING!!!  Is this just my body getting used to the different nutrition or should I let myself have a snack?  I'm trying to be totally Whole30 compliant and the book said to avoid snacking too much.

Hi Mishyloo!  We don't really want you going hungry on Whole30.  How many eggs & beef was your fritatta made with and how many pieces did it get cut into.  This will tell you how many actual eggs & how much beef. Sometimes with fritattas the piece seems large but the actual protein component is too small.  (I make an egg bake for the hubby and I for the week and usually use 20-24 eggs and about a pound and a half of meat.  Seems like a crazy amount when I'm making it but it really only works out to just over 2 eggs each and a teeny bit of the sausage.)

Keep trying to tweak your meals until you get a run of 4-5 hours between. If you are hungry in between while you're figuring out your balance, have a mini meal of at least protein and fat but ideally also veggies (hard boiled egg w/ mayo & snow peas or chicken thigh with olives and couple bites sweet potato as examples).

The entire frittata had 9 eggs, half an onion, 1/3 pound of beef and about a cup of spinach. I hate 1/4th of the frittata. At the time it was very filling and satisfying. For lunch I had a palm size portion of ground beef mixed with onions and spinach on about 2 cups of chopped kale salad, about 8 cashews, evco balsamic vinegar and a small pear. I ate lunch at 1130 and am hungry 2 hours later. I'm not a big person and I feel like the portions should hold me over better!!!

The entire frittata had 9 eggs, half an onion, 1/3 pound of beef and about a cup of spinach. I hate 1/4th of the frittata. At the time it was very filling and satisfying. For lunch I had a palm size portion of ground beef mixed with onions and spinach on about 2 cups of chopped kale salad, about 8 cashews, evco balsamic vinegar and a small pear. I ate lunch at 1130 and am hungry 2 hours later. I'm not a big person and I feel like the portions should hold me over better!!!

If you are legitimately hungry (as in, could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), you should eat. Protein, fat and some veggies.  It could take some time for your body to get into the groove of eating only every 4-5 hours, especially if you were "grazing" and snacking all day previously.

I'm not sure what your context is/was, but we also find that depending on what sort of intake folks had pre-Whole30, that they can be nutrient deprived and once their bodies start getting real, whole foods, they want more, more, more.  Go ahead and feed this need, it does regulate in a few days once your body realizes that the good, nutrient dense food comes every 4-5 hours.

I ate terribly before this. Lots of sugars and carbs. Very few veggies. I ended up snacking on frittata, fruit and cashews. It was kind of a mini meal. There's no way I was going to make it. I hope it gets better over time!

I ate terribly before this. Lots of sugars and carbs. Very few veggies. I ended up snacking on frittata, fruit and cashews. It was kind of a mini meal. There's no way I was going to make it. I hope it gets better over time!

It'll get better. Note that it might get worse first though with the sugar cravings.  Also if you came from a diet heavy in sugars, even the sugars in fruit could end up causing you to continue to crave sweets.  Just beware of using fruits (fresh or dried) when your body is crying for sugar.

Hi everyone! I started today so I'm a day behind everyone. I'd like to follow this group though. Had planned on starting the 20th, but wasn't prepared enough to start until today. Loving all the advice I've seen so far. That Green Chili Chicken looks great, going to make that this week. penlynwilson, I am also using the information on The Clothes Make the Girl. I've purchased both of her books (Well Fed and Well Fed 2), they're both great.