April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

JillP: That's a hoot! Glad you didn't lick it off.

Jen75 & Piper: Welcome!

Had breakfast really early (like 6AM) because i had to leave the house early for a meeting and trying to do the eat within an hour of getting up. I was really hungry this morning so it wasn't an issue. I was surprised because I didn't eat again until like 12:30 (OK I did have some fruit at the meeting because I felt like I was having a crash), but was hungry at 12:30 but didn't feel like I was going to gnaw an arm off. Had a good lunch and looking forward to dinner.

Went to Costco today and joined. Got two sets of SnapWare - one glass and one plastic along with a few other things. It was amazingly easy to go by all the people with the samples including the guy giving out bread samples.

Have a "hen party" dinner tonight. I'm going to take the leftover Pad Thai and also bring dessert. Going to buy something from the store to take. If I made it I'm not sure I couldn't do as well as JillP. . . . .

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its great to have all these posts from the April 20 team!  I find it a good distraction to read them when I'm thinking about my early afternoon diet coke, and after reading the posts, am re-energized by having so many people going through similar things.  Plus those of you who are in time zones ahead of me that note they finished the day strong are motivating me to do the same!  Thanks!  

Mishyloo, I'm with you on the scale.  Yesterday night, when my headache was pounding, I wanted a NUMBER to quantify any progress these first two days of foggy, head-hurting days had made.  But I resisted the temptation and am trying to tune in to other ways of seeing progress.  So far, its just that my head isn't pounding today -- ya-hoo!

Keep up the great work!

N

Hi everyone! I typed out a long reply and it disappeared! Darn! Anyway, I'm glad everyone is doing well!

I too have to stop myself from licking spoons here! My son is always eating hummus, yogurt, or peanut butter and he loves to try and feed me his toast! He's a good sharer.

Anyone get the new book yet? I can't wait for mine!

I am resisting the scale! I must! I know I'm losing because my wedding ring no longer fits and my back up ring is starting to feel loose! So exciting.

I'm hoping for some good sleep tonight. I should stop reading the forum. Haha.

I also started on the 20th. Wanted to jump in this forum since it seems like there is a lot of people. My day 1 and 2 felt like a hangover. I've had been working so much I gave up on eating healthy and lived off pizza and fast food-a lot of it. I still feel low on energy, but I don't expect to feel good. Sweet potatoes helped a lot yesterday for energy. I am looking forward to the good days to come. It is definitely a mental process. Happy day 3 almost complete.

Oh goodness. My friend just tried to sell me on that Thrive stuff on Facebook. It only costs an arm and a leg and how can it compete with eating REAL FOOD?? Bless her.

"But I've lost almost two pounds this week without counting calories or changing what I eat!"

Sorry sister!

Here!  And compliant.  Had storebought salads today but we both got to pick our ingredients.  Olive oil and balsamic vinegar, olives, beets, hearts of palm, .... all luscious.  Could have gotten steak, ended up with chicken and bacon.  Also yum.

Noticed that body was saying "feed me" when it really meant "I'm thirsty."  It's amazing how frequently that signal is crossed in my head.

ThyPeace, working her tail off so not cooking much right now.  Thank goodness for frozen veggies -- breakfast tomorrow is eggs, leftover smoked salmon, and whatever frozen veggies I get out.  Lunch is salad with baked fish on it.

Enjoyed reading through everyone's post while patiently waiting for lunch. We're mid- oil change and lunch is packed in the car out of reach. Almost done!

Thought I was going to test my social skills today and was happy to be all prepped with my own lunch to eat before attending. Turns out the luncheon was yesterday! Oy! Have another "coffee" to attend Friday so will get to test my will there.

Welcome, Harmonn!

Great job everyone!! Day 4!!! I woke up this morning and felt relieved because that sip of cow's milk I drank was only a dream!!!!! Hahahaha! My mom handed me a small glass and told me to to drink it. Without thinking I took a sip. Funny thing is that I don't even drink cow's milk!!!!! And I rarely remember dreams. Got the day 4 newsletter and it talked about dreams. Phew! So thankful I don't have to start over!!!

Yes I just read the email too. The first day I dreamed I was eating pbj. Dh dreamed he ate a strawberry poptart and glass of milk but knew he wasn't supposed to do only ate one. Not stuff w normally eat either. I'd love to hear others' food dreams.

I have only had the 1 dream. My real temptation has been my kids food. The only ice cream in the house needs to be thrown out cuz of the blue bell recall! This weekend will be the real test when we are all out and about in the "real" world.

woohoo day 4!!

i agree - i'm nervous about the weekend. i've got meals planned and semi-prepped, but one of my best friend's 40th bday is saturday night - a boat cruise on the lake here. open bar and i'm assuming all kinds of snacks. plus i have a brunch for her earlier in the day so....i'm trying to anticipate and figure out my plan. maybe sneaking some jerky onto the boat? ha. 

i did go to my book club at a wine bar last night and had a cup of hot tea, so i'm sure everyone thinks i'm pregnant now. maybe they'll all believe me in 26 days :)

btw - made an amazing salad yesterday. shredded green & red cabbage, carrots, green onions, little bit of pineapple, grilled chicken - dressed with a mix of sesame oil, ACV and homemade mayo. today i'm eating it again, but topped with leftover pork instead....

Wow! I'm also loving everyone's posts and support.

The party was interesting last night. Honestly, I wasn't really tempted to eat foods that I didn't bring. There was a bowl of nuts, so I picked out the cashews and some pistachios. I took dessert - a cheesecake assortment. Something I don't really like so wouldn't be tempted to eat. It was really interesting. People asked about why I was eating this way, what it was, and when I could get back to "eating normally" including having some wine. Honestly, I didn't really miss the wine and really liked the food I took with me. It's just odd about how some people react when you're doing something different from the crowd. I typically have a rule - "you stay out of my plate and I'll stay out of yours" - that I'll pull out when I need to. A big motivator to stay on plan - not wanting to start over.

I made TheClothesMakeTheGirl pot roast. It's really dry. Any suggestions? I've been putting sauces on it, but it's kind of like eating shoe leather. . . .

Sounds like you were prepared for the party!! I'm interested to hear other people's tactics on how to handle comments and questions. So far most people have been supportive but I have not yet been at a party where food is the center. I did turn down a happy hour tonight bc I know it's going to be too hard at this point. Maybe in 2 weeks I could do it but I'm not going to put myself in that position!

• Administrators

I made TheClothesMakeTheGirl pot roast. It's really dry. Any suggestions? I've been putting sauces on it, but it's kind of like eating shoe leather. . . .

Which one?  The Italian Pork Roast? 

Hi everyone! This is the first time I've been on a forum so hopefully it's ok to just pop on.

I started my first Whole30 on the 20th too. The first couple days were kind of rough - not really food rough but I was having withdrawls for my gum and diet coke. That's starting to go away now thank goodness. When I start craving something, I drink more water. I've become a little obsessed with infused water but it's definitely better than the soda. Lovin' cucumber, lemon, ginger right now and I plan to try strawberry basil tomorrow. Yum.

I'm still having fun trying to figure everything out and just got my book Tuesday so have been reading through that. Last weekend I spent 3 hours in the grocery store just reading labels and I have to say, that was eye-opening and a bit overwhelming. My cart ended up with a few staples, a lot of fruit and veggies, and a few cuts of select meats. This weekend will probably be another lengthy trip but I feel a little better armed with having my book now.

I have to keep things simple because it's hard to get my family to try a lot of new things, especially all at once. I have to introduce slowly. Last night I made @wholesisters Healthy Crusted Chicken Strips which were a hit with everyone. My daughter has also been requesting a lot more veggies which is good because before she was all about the fruit. She even liked the brussel sprouts last night. YAY!

Happy Day 4 everyone!

I'm interested to hear other people's tactics on how to handle comments and questions. 

me too! i have a hard time talking about it without going into waaaaay too much detail about the why and the specifics of the program. then i think i am making people feel badly for eating the way they eat, so i start backpedaling. i need a sentence or two that's supportive and explanatory and closes the conversation, i think...

did you over-cook it? overcooking will dry out a roast super quick - as will cooking it on too high heat. low and slow - i like a crockpot for a roast. i made a pork roast in the crock pot yesterday and put a little chicken broth in the bowl with it while it was cooking. i also only cooked it 8 hours on low and it was moist and tasty when we ate. hope this helps!

• Moderators

me too! i have a hard time talking about it without going into waaaaay too much detail about the why and the specifics of the program. then i think i am making people feel badly for eating the way they eat, so i start backpedaling. i need a sentence or two that's supportive and explanatory and closes the conversation, i think...

Have you read this Nutrition in 60 Seconds article? It might be helpful.

Penlyn: how much fat was on it? If it was leaner I suggest not taking the liquid off, also putting it in some stock could give it some moisture back, done this with dry turkey many times!

I don't have many comments cuz most people are doing their own thing and don't want comments either! My husband has people at work who know what he is doing and for the most part they are supportive very odd for a rough group of guys but most have had health issues that have made them do different things!

I would say it's something I am choosing to try, it's only 30 days! Most people are not with you enough to have a full impact of how it changes your life and they don't need to know everything. I know some say I am trying to find out if I have sensitivities to food or dr recommend for health issues!

So yesterday 3 meals no snacking/mini-meal yay me! Lol

Just made some salmon cakes for lunch from leftover salmon from last night. One of my favorite recipes if anyone is looking for ideas. http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/ I tried make the Asian version as I had just bought Chinese Five Spice Powder. Will see how that is when they cool off. The regular version is delicious!

I have 4 kids - a very vocal and anti-paleo 9 year old girl, a 6 and a 4 year old that would be fine if they didn't have their older sister telling them the food was horrible, and a 1 year old who (so far) doesn't know better and just eats what I give him. So it is a challenge. We eliminated all cereals and breads and pastas from our house a few years ago after I did my first Whole30 but still will let kids eat them when we go out or if we order pizza in.  I feel like I'm going to give my 9 year old an eating complex so not sure how to avoid that. All she wants is Mac N Cheese and bagels and breads. Any help is appreciated!

My son is a cereal, Mac n cheese and sandwich eater! He is doing much better with fruit, veggies and meat then he used to so I am just doing a slow transition. My daughter will eat everything so i don't do much with her either. I think slowly over time just having less in the house and limiting how often they have it will keep them from having any major complexes. I hope.

Archived