April 20- Husband and me, kids partially

JillP

I feel like I always need produce! I eat up so much. I swear I ate a whole cabbage, 2-3 zucchini, a sweet potato, an avocado, etc just today! The cool thing is I honestly eat more veggies in one day now than I would in a whole week.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I made the Thai Coconut Soup from the new Whole30 cookbook. I enjoyed it and have plenty of leftovers so hoping I still like it many days from now! I also made the Baby Back Ribs with Tangy BBQ Sauce. My kids really liked the ribs so that was a win. Also made the Green Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Oil, which one child liked and others wouldn't touch. 

Does anyone else find they have started drinking an exorbitant amount of liquids? I started realizing that I might be substituting tea for when I would normally grab a snack (like every time I am in the kitchen... and I'm a stay-at-home mom so I'm in the kitchen all the time!). I am drinking decaf teas so the caffeine isn't an issue but wondering if I should be trying to keep that under control. 

Tangy BBQ sauce, is this a recipe?

I drink over 100 oz so I am basically constantly drinking. I almost feel naked if I leave my cup/bottle at home!

I am finding that even when I think I am almost starving that I eat slower than I would have and savor more, anyone else?

That soup looks awesome. I want to make it eventually.

I hope someone will chime in if I'm wrong, but I think teas are just fine, especially if they're caffeine free.

The enjoying my meal/chewing part is one area I definitely struggle with. But with 2 small boys I feel like I have to take my meals when I can get them and usually I eat standing up at the counter while one young sir flings soup on the windows... It's not a good practice, I know. Breakfast is probably best because I can get the big boy to sit and eat with me for a few minutes.

Sorry if I bring up my kids every post. They're just so darn cute.

Tangy BBQ sauce, is this a recipe?

Yes - it is another recipe in the book. I was bummed I couldn't find a Whole30 compliant BBQ sauce so had to make it. My version seemed more smoky than tangy and was very thick (it has a whole large sweet potato in it). I feel like if I wanted ribs again I'd make more effort to find the one BBQ sauce that the book lists as compliant (Tessemae's All Natural) instead of spending another hour and a half roasting garlic and carmelizing onions and all the other tasks. I did find a BBQ sauce that used Agave Nector instead of cane sugar and I actually bought it but then decided I would have to start over if I knowingly used it. 

Jen75- I do the same thing! I was hungry after dinner so I drank an herbal tea in place of a snack. I'm constantly going to the bathroom. I drink so much more water now. I wonder why that is? When I was eating my junk I didn't really feel Thirsty that much.

Penryn (I keep wanting to put penny): I think it all depends on what kind of protein and which veggies. I have seen some say chicken breast don't keep them full and so on.

This whole30 I am just trying to stay compliant and learn more about what my body likes and needs, working toward 3 template meals. I will consider that a success!

hey everyone! day 7 - whew! i survived the brunch and boat party last night without any issues - i'm excited that i did it, and it was much easier than i expected. i did the grab a soda water with lime right away trick and no one asked any questions. 

i've been wondering about portion sizes too, penlyn! i've been eyeballing everything (so it feels less like a diet), but it just feels like a lot of fat. which i'm fine with, just hoping i'm not overdoing it? anyway...the guidelines feel pretty vague, so i'm just doing the best i can. 

today is my shop/meal prep day. it's a lot, but i've always done meal prep on sundays - i just used to prep for fewer meals because we ate out a TON. 

almost a full week down woohoo!

For those of you who have done whole30 before, how long before you noticed pants loosening up?! I know weight loss isn't the main goal, but I'm tired of tight pants!!! I have about 20 pounds Id like to lose.

Took me about 3 weeks.  I lost weight before that, I'm sure, but didn't really change sizes until I was about 3-4 weeks in. 

ThyPeace, now those pants are falling off of me.  I need to go clothes shopping. 

• Moderators

So we had a question on our fb group and we think we know the answer but want to make sure. Does the order of reintroduced matter or just that you don't mix groups so you know what is the prob?

Order doesn't matter, just be sure you keep the groups separate, and that you allow at least 2 days of Whole30 eating between each reintroduced food type. You can also break the reintroduction groups down further if you want -- so instead of a general dairy day, you could, if you wanted, do a milk day and a cheese day separately, or cows' milk products one day and goats' milk another. 

Reading through everyone's comments about meal planning, prep, and thinking about food all the time -- this is another area where it really does get better!  I think I was about halfway through my second Whole30 when things got much more automatic.  One of the biggest helps by far was starting to buy frozen vegetables.  It can be hard to find packages that don't have corn and peas in them, but once you do find ones that work, buy a couple packages every time you're at the store.  Then when you need veggies, they're already cut up.

One of my favorite "quick" side dishes is a vegetable soup made with chicken broth, tomato sauce, assorted frozen veggies, and seasonings.  It takes almost no prep time and can warm up on the stove while you're working on other meals.  I think I've had it four times in the last two weeks.  You can also vary it a lot -- use all tomato sauce, no tomato sauce, beef broth instead of chicken broth, etc. etc. etc.  I actually use homemade chicken broth and tomato sauce, but you totally can use storebought.  Just make sure you buy the "plainest" of both, because they'll usually just have the main ingredients plus salt and a simple preservative of some kind. 

ThyPeace, has a pot of broth cooking right now.  Smells good.  Better yet, it frees up freezer space, which was pretty full of carcasses and vegetable bits.

@thypeace - how long do you go between whole30s? and what does your non-whole30 diet look like? i'm with mishyloo on the weight loss thing - i get that what i'm really fixing is disordered eating/relationship with food, but i'd be super stoked to drop some lbs as well :)

I'm still starving between meals!  Today especially so.  I did go for a long walk this morning, so maybe that is it.  But there hasn't been a day that I don't have a snack in the afternoon and sometimes morning!!!  I hope this gets better. I know my meals should be lasting 4-5 hours....

Piper, here's my calendar since I started the first Whole30:

- Whole30 1:  Mid-August to early October, 2014.  Ate a compliant diet for the whole time.

- Interlude 1:  Early October, 2014 through January, 2015.  My birthday is in early October, so I had pear-apple-cranberry crisp.  I also reintroduced legumes at that point and found that they seem to help my digestion.  My husband made Italian wedding cupcakes for a bake sale at the end of October.  Since that was our wedding cake, I felt no guilt about eating them.  They were delicious.  Then there was Halloween.  I learned then that candy really did nothing for me, and was compliant again until Thanksgiving.  That was both the amazing family feast my dad's family puts on and a wedding with some great friends.  There, too, I loved the meats and vegetables and found the sweets to be mostly tasteless.  But by then I'd had enough sweets that it was hard to down-shift to compliant.  December was pretty good, with occasional sweets and treats because of the season.  Christmas I loved every bit of chocolate I had -- especially the 90% dark Lindt bar that DH slipped into my stocking.  That, I have to say, was GREAT.  DD's  birthday is New Year's Day.  She wanted pumpkin pie, so we had pumpkin pie at 12:10am.  Also yummy.  About then I realized that home-baked spicy and fruity sweets are far better than anything I've had from any store or shop or other person's house. 

- Whole30 2:  Mid-January start, then re-started after a really long difficult day that included 10 hours of driving to and from a funeral.  Funeral luncheons and road food are really tough places to make good choices, and we had not been able to plan ahead for that particular event.  Finished the end of February.

- Interlude 2:  Did a much more thorough and careful reintroduction of food -- there is a thread about it on the Whole30 Reintroduction board here:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/25617-starting-reintroduction-this-week-february-25th/

Generally it went well.  I learned a lot about what agrees with me and what doesn't, but haven't learned everything I would like yet.  That interlude lasted until April19th, and then I restarted. 

Generally, I'd say that my diet starts out pretty compliant and then slowly erodes as I start making the "easy" choices instead of the healthier choices.  It's so darned difficult to avoid all the added sugar, plus all the grains, plus all the legumes, plus all the dairy.  Dairy I avoid all the time because of the the tummy ache it gives me, but other things don't hurt to eat so they don't get the same negative reinforcement. 

I think it makes a lot of sense to plan Whole30 interludes into times in your life when there is less stress and fewer major celebrations.  If I were Jewish, I am pretty sure I would not want to be doing a Whole30 during Pesach nor the High Holy Days, but would consider it at other times.  If I were Christian, I would think Lent is a great time to do a Whole30, but not Christmas.  If I were Muslim, I think Ramadan might be an okay time to do a Whole30, especially because of the lasting power of some of the Whole30 meals.  And major family events like birthdays and anniversaries play a role as well.  You can't avoid all of them, but you can think through when you have the fewest temptations and use that time to your greatest advantage.

ThyPeace, has a quiet house so time to type lots.  Sorry for the long post!

Today I made the Thai Coconut Soup from the new Whole30 cookbook. I enjoyed it and have plenty of leftovers so hoping I still like it many days from now! I also made the Baby Back Ribs with Tangy BBQ Sauce. My kids really liked the ribs so that was a win. Also made the Green Cabbage Slaw with Lemon Oil, which one child liked and others wouldn't touch. 

Does anyone else find they have started drinking an exorbitant amount of liquids? I started realizing that I might be substituting tea for when I would normally grab a snack (like every time I am in the kitchen... and I'm a stay-at-home mom so I'm in the kitchen all the time!). I am drinking decaf teas so the caffeine isn't an issue but wondering if I should be trying to keep that under control. 

I'm going to try that soup this week. Thanks for posting about it. I was wondering.

Made the Shepherd's Pie last night. It was quite good.

• Moderators

I'm still starving between meals!  Today especially so.  I did go for a long walk this morning, so maybe that is it.  But there hasn't been a day that I don't have a snack in the afternoon and sometimes morning!!!  I hope this gets better. I know my meals should be lasting 4-5 hours....

Mishyloo, are you keeping a food log somewhere? If not, could you post a day or two worth of meals, with approximate serving sizes as they relate to the meal template? We could give you some feedback and see if we can't help you figure this out. You definitely shouldn't be hungry. 

No food log. Today for meal 1 around 8am, I had 3 eggs scrambled with broccoli slaw and onions, coffee with coconut milk and half an Asian pear. I went for a walk with a friend and that was for about an hour. I was starving by 1130 so for lunch I ate a palm size of baked salmon with onions with Brussels sprouts, spinach and kimchi with half an avocado. I was hungry by 3ish and drank some tea and waited to see if I was hungry. At 4 I had a hard boiled egg 10 olives and some grapes. At around 530 I had a palm size of chicken with sweet potato and I'm drawing a blank on the fat. By 8 I was hungry again and now at 10pm I'm starving. But I'm tired so I will just go to sleep. I feel like I still need to snack to make it between meals.

Archived