Finished with whole 30, need help with fueling

beatakf

I have been on whole 30 for almost 2 months and I will continue to eat this way. I have been doing great on all of my long runs fueling with sweet potato baby food pouches. I live in florida and it is getting hot! I run a 15K yesterday, it was around 70 degrees and 90% humidity. I was doing good for the first 6 miles and it went downhill from there. I just didn't have it in me to push the pase and I run 40 seconds slower than my last half marathon. I know that is might be due to the heat but I am concerned that when it is hot, the sweet potatoes might not be enough. Do I start fueling with gels? or maybe something more natural like honey or maple syrup? If I do,will that undo what I have been doing so far and my body using fat for fuel? 

• Moderators

There's actually nothing you can do in the heat (fueling or drinking wise) but slow down.

It IS worth carrying one of those cold bandannas you can freeze ahead of time and wear around your neck (or just wear a bandanna you keep wetting at aid stations). 

The one mistake you DO NOT want to make is drinking too much because of the heat. In a long race/run, that can easily lead to hyponatremia. Use thirst as your guide. Being overhydrated will not combat the heat but it can send you into a coma or worse.

I started buying Propel water that has electolytes in it and drinking that before and after my runs. You might be right, fuel is not the problem here. Do you think that once I start marathon training, I would be ok with just fueling with sweet potatoes? 

Archived