Started on TAX day (4/15/2015)

MichelleEClancy

Hello all!

I've signed in and I'm on track.  After doing a lot of prep this weekend, I was ready to start yesterday.  Would appreciate a partner who started on Tax day or after.  Also, I have Crohns so I would apprecaite any feedback from other suffererers (regarding the chrons, I know we are all "suffering").  I'm a very positive person so Iam anxious to see what the next few days do to alter my mood.  I must get off this sugar addiction!

Good luck to all!
Very Respectfully,

MC

Fantastic!  :D I'm waiting for my tired to set in this morning.  So far so good.  Made a great recipe for Turkey and sweet potato meatballs last night (compliant and delicious).  Hav eyou started to read the book?

-Michelle

I started yesterday, too. I wrote a post called "started yesterday". Happy to be your partner!

So far so good for me, too. Not drinking alcohol is helping with that I think! ;)

I haven't read the book, I've just read everything online about 3X!

I'd love your turkey/sweet potato meatball recipe. I saw 2 meatball recipes I thought I'd try on the clothes make the girl website, one asian and one traditional italian. They seem like great things to have in the freezer.

I have a pork loin roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I just stabbed it all over and marinated it overnight in olive oil, fresh lemon juice & zest, fresh garlic and fresh oregano. This morning I put it in the crock pot and covered it with a chopped onion and a little more lemon. I plan to roast sweet potatoes in coconut oil and steam broccoli to go with it.

I bought a bunch of meat and veggies yesterday and hope to do some meal planning/ prep work this weekend.

CheerS!

So far so good for me, too. Not drinking alcohol is helping with that I think! ;)

I haven't read the book, I've just read everything online about 3X!

I'd love your turkey/sweet potato meatball recipe. I saw 2 meatball recipes I thought I'd try on the clothes make the girl website, one asian and one traditional italian. They seem like great things to have in the freezer.

I have a pork loin roast in the crock pot for dinner tonight. I just stabbed it all over and marinated it overnight in olive oil, fresh lemon juice & zest, fresh garlic and fresh oregano. This morning I put it in the crock pot and covered it with a chopped onion and a little more lemon. I plan to roast sweet potatoes in coconut oil and steam broccoli to go with it.

I bought a bunch of meat and veggies yesterday and hope to do some meal planning/ prep work this weekend.

CheerS!

http://www.livehealtheasy.com/2013/12/sweet-potato-meatloaf.html

follow link to the recipe.  OMIT the honey obv, but other than that it follows.  I used ground flaxseed instead of flax meal.  the recipe made about 48 meatballs so i was able to freeze A LOT for more days.  I wanted a good Italian meatball recipe for spaghetti squash but I still havent found one that I think will turn out dry.

Cheers!

Welcome pixalu! I have a "spiral user" but I haven't tried it yet. I don't think we'll be fooled but it makes a more interesting way to eat zucchini!

The sweet potato meatballs sound great!

I started getting cranky before dinner tonight. We are later than I planned so maybe I was just hungry. Right after dinner I started getting light headaches across my forehead. Hopefully this too shall pass. Otherwise I feel good.

Sweet dreams!

How are you doing Michelle? I'm compliant, and feeling pretty good, but yesterday I was very tired. I went to bed at 10:15, turned off my alarm at 7:30 and got up at 9:15! I've never slept like that! I also noticed a little blood in my stool yesterday. Not enough to be concerning (and no, I haven't had any beets!), but again a little blood this morning. I have been eating a ton of veggies so I believe I'm getting enough fiber. I drank some "smooth move" tea last night to see if that might help.

Curious to hear how it's going for you!

I also noticed a little blood in my stool yesterday. Not enough to be concerning (and no, I haven't had any beets!), but again a little blood this morning. 

Not to be an alarmist: blood in the stool is not a normal side-effect from a Whole30.

I would suggest seeing your primary care physician.

I started 4/16, but I'll join you all, if ok.

meatballs yum!  Have either of you heard of/tried the spiralized zucchini noodles?  I am intrigued by them.  I wonder if I would just be like "You can't fool me.  That's just zucchini." 

Karen.  My post about starting is under pixalu.  Started 4/16.

Pixalu,

I did NOT enjoy them, however, spaghetti squash was a GREAT change!

Shine!  Sorry I took so long.  It's been a long weekend.  I'm not a doctor but I have had a lot of gastro issues.  Did you eat any RED peppers?  Sometimes that has the same "look" as blood if not digested properly.  Also, if your body isn't use to eating the roughage (raw veggies and such) you could have a few issues.  I suggest cooking all veggies to start.  I have to do that when i have flare-ups.  Other than that, please seek out a physician if the problem continues.  I have had a good weekend keeping up with it all.  I was at the beach with friends and was still able to maintain the lifestyle.  I even went out to eat twice without an issue.  I am sleeping GREAT!  I read a lot about how the first week is very emotional but weirdly enough I have been very even when it comes to my attitude and disposition.  Ha!  I do hate Mondays though...

Shoot over an update when you can!

Cheers!

How are you doing Michelle? I'm compliant, and feeling pretty good, but yesterday I was very tired. I went to bed at 10:15, turned off my alarm at 7:30 and got up at 9:15! I've never slept like that! I also noticed a little blood in my stool yesterday. Not enough to be concerning (and no, I haven't had any beets!), but again a little blood this morning. I have been eating a ton of veggies so I believe I'm getting enough fiber. I drank some "smooth move" tea last night to see if that might help.

Happy Monday! Glad to hear you had a good weekend. Curious what you ordered eating out. We'll be going out tomorrow or Wednesday.

We have always eaten a LOT of veggies, including at least one big salad every day. Yes to the red bell pepper, and that may have been the culprit (although I've been buying a 6-pack of them weekly for a few years so that's not really new, but perhaps I'm eating more/day now). Either way I haven't seen it since.

I was good this weekend but very tired. Hoping for some increased energy this week as my body adjusts! I did get a 2.5 mile walk in Sunday, yay! I love to walk and try to do it daily but hadn't done so in a week!

I got a lot of meal prep done yesterday and this morning. I was going to make egg/veggie cups in the cupcake tin, but it's soooo much cleanup, so instead I made a BIG veggie/egg casserole. 24 eggs, a huge bag of spinach/kale/chard (sauteed and squeezed through a dish towel) 2 red bell peppers, 2 onions. Processed the veggies in my food processor then mixed with eggs & poured into giant stone casserole. Topped 1/2 with mushrooms (hubby doesn't like them) and baked at 350 for an hour. Cut into 8 squares for 4 days of simple breakfast. I topped mine with avacado...yummy!

This morning I made 9 mason jar salads; 5 for me and 4 for hubby. That + leftover meat + almonds or avacado = lunch.

I hope you have a great week!

I haven't been feeling as good today. Very tired and quite bloated/ constipated. I drank some "smooth move" tea last night which normally does the trick for me. I drink a lot of water (about 2 gallons since noon Saturday). I just drank 2 cups of the same tea, hoping for a good result in the morning. I'm hoping this gets better!

Also hoping you're feeling better than me! :)

Happy Monday! Glad to hear you had a good weekend. Curious what you ordered eating out. We'll be going out tomorrow or Wednesday.

We have always eaten a LOT of veggies, including at least one big salad every day. Yes to the red bell pepper, and that may have been the culprit (although I've been buying a 6-pack of them weekly for a few years so that's not really new, but perhaps I'm eating more/day now). Either way I haven't seen it since.

I was good this weekend but very tired. Hoping for some increased energy this week as my body adjusts! I did get a 2.5 mile walk in Sunday, yay! I love to walk and try to do it daily but hadn't done so in a week!

I got a lot of meal prep done yesterday and this morning. I was going to make egg/veggie cups in the cupcake tin, but it's soooo much cleanup, so instead I made a BIG veggie/egg casserole. 24 eggs, a huge bag of spinach/kale/chard (sauteed and squeezed through a dish towel) 2 red bell peppers, 2 onions. Processed the veggies in my food processor then mixed with eggs & poured into giant stone casserole. Topped 1/2 with mushrooms (hubby doesn't like them) and baked at 350 for an hour. Cut into 8 squares for 4 days of simple breakfast. I topped mine with avacado...yummy!

This morning I made 9 mason jar salads; 5 for me and 4 for hubby. That + leftover meat + almonds or avacado = lunch.

I hope you have a great week!

You're doing some great prep!  I'm finding that all the hard work and preparation is paying off because I have a lot of choices when I pack my lunches.  How was the casserole?  When I have been eating out I get either steak of fish.  When I order I ask for only salt and pepper and tell the waiter that I am highly allergic to soy and dairy.  I know that sounds selfish but it gets their attention.  I usually get steamed or sauteed veggies.  Seems recently I've been getting a lot of broccoli.  If I have my Tessamae dressing with me I will order a salad (but I usually forget it).  One time I got a baked potato but when it got to my table it looked shiny. I sent it back and reminded the waiter of my allergy and he brought back another (not shiny) potato. 

Hey!

Sorry you're not feeling well.  I think the bloating is to be expected on the 5-6-7 day.  I was told a week later I may not even fit into my original jeans.  I was so tired of water that I added a splash of 100% orange juice to my H2o this morning.  It's a nice change.  Eat something today that will make you happy!  Its been a great time to do a Whole 30 because strawberries are so sweet and cheap at the Farmer's Market.  If you can find the time, seek out your local Farmer's Market and check out what they have to offer.  Is it sunny where you are today?  The rain has just stopped here so I will be taking an afternoon walk to enjoy the beautiful weather.  Have a great day! B)

I haven't been feeling as good today. Very tired and quite bloated/ constipated. I drank some "smooth move" tea last night which normally does the trick for me. I drink a lot of water (about 2 gallons since noon Saturday). I just drank 2 cups of the same tea, hoping for a good result in the morning. I'm hoping this gets better!

Also hoping you're feeling better than me! :)

• Administrators

Second what Chris says about blood in stool not being normal!  On the other hand if you are straining when going due to constipation, you can damage your tissues (eg, hemmerhoids) and that can cause blood streaking.

You can try adding a magnesium supplement to ease your bathroom issues.  Magnesium draws water into the intestine; too much magnesium and you end up with loose stools but if you start small and increase slowly it's quite effective.  Whole30 approved magnesium supplement is the unflavoured Natural Calm.

The tea did the trick. This morning was no fun, but I feel much better now! The blood in the stool was just that one evening/morning and it hasn't happened since so I'm thinking it was from the red bell pepper, not blood.

It is a BEAUTIFUL day here in the southeast! Funny someone mentioned strawberries, I picked some up yesterday and had a few after breakfast this morning...so yummy!  I I went to lunch and ordered a cobb salad with no bacon, no cheese, no dressing. I also double checked on the chicken not having sugar or butter. Waiter seemed annoyed (or maybe he's just a millenial) but I don't care. It was perfect with salt and pepper- the avocado was enough "dressing". I realize I could have had oil and vinegar but honestly didn't need it.

The casserole is amazing! Even my husband loves it. Highly recommended!

Ladyshanny thanks for your input. I already take 800mg magnesium 2x/day. I spoke to my naturopath who said constipation and bloating are very normal right now as my body adjusts to this new way of eating.

Going out tonight and tomorrow night as well with old friends who are in town...will be okay though, I may eat before we go so I can focus more on the company than the food/beverage.

Cheers!

Michelle, thanks too for the advice eating out. I made it through lunch yesterday and ate my dinner in the car (husband was driving) on the way out last night. I did have a side of marinated veggies after confirming there was no sugar nor butter used. Very yummy and delicious.

I'm going out for lunch and dinner again today. Lunch should be easy...salad with plain protein again. I'm going to call the restaurant ahead for dinner though. It's a great chef-owned place and I'm sure they'll accomodate me and appreciate being given advanced notice!

Are you tired? I'm very tired. My friends who did this last month said they didn't feel great for the first two weeks, then they felt much better. So, I have faith that I'll be that way too!

Cheers!

Michelle, thanks too for the advice eating out. I made it through lunch yesterday and ate my dinner in the car (husband was driving) on the way out last night. I did have a side of marinated veggies after confirming there was no sugar nor butter used. Very yummy and delicious.

I'm going out for lunch and dinner again today. Lunch should be easy...salad with plain protein again. I'm going to call the restaurant ahead for dinner though. It's a great chef-owned place and I'm sure they'll accomodate me and appreciate being given advanced notice!

Are you tired? I'm very tired. My friends who did this last month said they didn't feel great for the first two weeks, then they felt much better. So, I have faith that I'll be that way too!

Cheers!

Shine,

Good morning!  Glad you could use the help.  Yesterday and today I am tired.  I was out late last night at a concert and today I can feel it.  I am told the worst of it will occur this weekend on the 11th and 12th day...bah.  I'm going to Chipotle today for lunch to get out of the slump.  I hate cooking and I've had to do a lot recently.  I'm also very emotional...not sure what that is about though.  At least the sun is out!

Cheers!

Good morning, it's day 10!!! Double digits!!! Let's hope this tiredness goes away soon! Looking forward to feeling energized!

How did you do at Chipotle? Dinner for me Wednesday was great; not so much the meal itself but how accommodating the restaurant was to my needs. I called ahead (it's a really nice, chef-owned restaurant) and explained that "my doctor is having me test for allergies". When I sat down they discretely presented me with a menu which the chef had crossed off items that contained dairy, sugar or grains, and circled items that fit my needs! There wasn't a lot to choose from because many of the items included "gluten free bread" or were cooked in wine but I did well with a charcuterie board (all meat, no cheese) and some little neck clams.

You mentioned hating to cook...I'm the opposite- I love to cook (part of my weight/food addiction problem). I do love simple recipes and I highly recommend one I found on this site "best pork chop of your life". It's really yummy and today I have some chicken thighs marinating in the same recipe. I found the coconut aminos at Whole Foods.

Sun is shining again...here's to a beautiful day!

Good morning, it's day 10!!! Double digits!!! Let's hope this tiredness goes away soon! Looking forward to feeling energized!

How did you do at Chipotle? Dinner for me Wednesday was great; not so much the meal itself but how accommodating the restaurant was to my needs. I called ahead (it's a really nice, chef-owned restaurant) and explained that "my doctor is having me test for allergies". When I sat down they discretely presented me with a menu which the chef had crossed off items that contained dairy, sugar or grains, and circled items that fit my needs! There wasn't a lot to choose from because many of the items included "gluten free bread" or were cooked in wine but I did well with a charcuterie board (all meat, no cheese) and some little neck clams.

You mentioned hating to cook...I'm the opposite- I love to cook (part of my weight/food addiction problem). I do love simple recipes and I highly recommend one I found on this site "best pork chop of your life". It's really yummy and today I have some chicken thighs marinating in the same recipe. I found the coconut aminos at Whole Foods.

Sun is shining again...here's to a beautiful day!

Shine,

Chipotle is sooo easy.  I order the salad bowl with carnitas, add pico and extra guac.  Its definitely a treat.  Doing well today.  I have friends who say days 10-12 were the worst of it.  They were over the food and wanted sugar and carbs BAD.  Unfortunately, we are hitting those days on a weekend...yikes!  After those days comes the "Tiger Blood" feeling and I CANT miss THAT.  So that is my motivation.  I need the energy for sure! 

It's good that you are into cooking.  My husband fulfills that role in my family.  He does a great job to so I don't bother to change things up. 

Have a great weekend!!

Cheers!

Happy day 12! I slept like a rock, and overslept, but I feel really good today. How about you?

I'm also feeling motivation to exercise, just have to figure out how to get it into my schedule. Living in coastal SC (read "swamp") I try to plan around the number of showers I have to take in a day. So maybe tomorrow I will do a walk/jog in the morning.

I did okay this weekend despite being sort of cranky and lethargic. I'm not a big sweets eater and I like carbs but don't crave them so I guess I'm lucky. Doing some more prep today as not being prepared would be my weakness.

Hope your day is as beautiful as ours!

Happy day 13!!

Finally picked up some of that energy I've been waiting for!  Certainly NOT Tiger Blood yet but getting there.  I spent my lunch hour walking around the Farmer's Market.  I think I said this before but what a GREAT time to do a Whole 30!  Lots of fresh veggies, fruit and OMG strawberries to load up on.  Bonus, I got some steps in walking around.  It's good that you are not a sweet eater.  My husband doesn't like desserts, so I am the only reason why we keep them in the house.  He does eat a lot of carbs though.  I'm enjoying a lot of spaghetti squash while he has his pasta so that's always a good meal for us.  We live in central North Carolina and the weekend weather was NOT pretty so today's sunshine has been a gift and mild weather may lead to a lot of walking if this energy keeps up.  I've got a lot ahead of me this upcoming weekend so hopefully it will continue.  I didnt do a lot of prep this weekend.  I'll be doing a lot of that today i suppose.  It's the ONLY thing keeping me successful.  We are still going uphill but I am starting to see the view I keep reading about.  Hope it's the same for yoU!

Happy Monday!

Cheers!

Archived