Is all this fat really ok?

Ifjewel

I know, I know forget everything we've ever heard about saturated fat. But, I realized today that I'm eating at least 2 x the RDA for saturated fat. Probably more like 3x. I'm thin, I'm active, I enjoy the fat. What, besides weight gain would be a sign that I'm overdoing? Thank you!

My usual symptom for too much fat comes before weight gain -- it's diarrhea or very soft, sort of oily poos. Sorry to be graphic -- but if you encounter this, you'll know that you might be having too much fat. Don't worry about fat grams or fat calories, but do follow the Whole30 guidelines for healthy fats (usually 1-2 "thumb-sized" servings per meal) and adjust as needed for hunger.

Hmmm... If you are looking at the RDA based on the USDA guidelines, That might not be the best source to align your health goals with. Those guidelines also promote grains and dairy for the majority of a humans calories.

Having said that, where is your saturated fat coming from? If its fatty cuts of commercial grade meat, then yes, you might want to adjust that for good nutrition. But if it's from coconut oils and butters, and pastured meat and ghee, then you are feeding your body properly.

What is your concern with the amount of saturated fat you are consuming? If you are healthy, at a good body weight for yourself, active, clear headed, and sleep at night.... These are all signs that your current diet is working for you.

I think that's natural to freak out about the fat, since we're so slammed with "fat is the enemy"...

I can only tell you my experience.... I went from being a low fat Vegan (i know i know Paleo peeps, don't yell at me) to being (mostly) Paleo/LCHF and my weight has done nothing but go down!

My fats of choice, mostly coconut oil (i use it to cook EVERYTHING!), plus some olive oil, avacado, nuts and what not.

I think when you're eating enough good foods (ie meat, veg, fats) you won't need to overdo anything... you'll feel more in balance.

just my 2 cents.

Archived