Achy Joints after ingesting sunflower oil...normal?

I am on Day 18 of my first Whole30 and have felt great the last 4 or 5 days. I bought a bag of plantain chips from Trader Joe's to eat with my Guacamole and didn't realize they was made with Sunflower oil. I realize sunflower oil is "reluctantly" approved, but I have avoided it until now. I decided to eat the chips (this was on Day 16 and Day 17) and find a more complaint brand after my small bag was gone, but now on Day 18, my legs are SO achy! Every joint is incredibly sore and I just can't figure out why.

(I am also nursing my 9 month old son, but I eat a lot during the day, so I really don't think that is the issue.)

Thanks for any advice!

Maybe? Rather than searching for plantain chips made with a better oil, simply set them aside for your 30 days and eat vegetables, meat, eggs, fish and good fat. That's it. Here's the scoop on chips:

Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.zjevGhoY.dpuf

Thank you for your reply! The only reason I was eating the plantain chips is because I was trying to find a way to incorporate avocado into my day and guacamole is the only way I have been able to do it (for some reason, ever since I got pregnant with my son, I have had a major gag reflex to avocados...so weird, I know!). Guacamole is a great way for me to get in a lot of calories and healthy fat, and I load it up with other veggies as well. I am definitely open to consuming the guac in another way, I am just not that creative :) 

I will try the kale for sure and am about to google what jicama is! Thank you again!

Guac on top of a burger, chicken, or over chili or carnitas is most yummy. Also use in place of mayo to make chicken salad. Use to make dressings as well.

Great ideas! I just need a little inspiration I guess, I am never able to think creatively with my food. Thanks for the tips. 

Jicama is awesome. It's currently in a grudge match with zucchini as my new favorite vegetable (zucchini is going to win for sheer versatility, though). Peeling it is is a b****, but it keeps really well so I always buy the biggest one I can find.

Archived