fruit

thorgirl91

OK I am on day 5 and feeling somewhat tired, but I do feel pretty great other than that! I am wondering if you guys allow a certain amount of fruits per day. I find myself eating 3 to 4 servings and wondering if I'm just feeding the "sugar dragon" I started the whole 30 for weight loss, insulin resistance, and ibs.

• Administrators

Our recommendation is 1-2 fist sized servings of fruit per day always with a main meal, never alone.  But you don't actually have to have any, veggies will give you all the nutrients you need! 

Fruit shouldn't be eaten in place of veggies (ie, have all the protein, veggies and fat first and only if you are still wanting it, have fruit) and it shouldn't be used as a quick snack.  

I rarely have fruit maybe 2-3 times a MONTH, an occasional clementine in a Chinese style chicken salad, a handful of berries or 1/2 grapes in a salad or maybe an apple blended into a curry soup that makes 8 servings. Please don't allow fruit to push more nutritious foods off your plate. 

• Administrators

I'm in the "no fruit because of the sugar dragon" category also.  I will now, three months after my second Whole30, occasionally allow canned pineapple into a stir fry or have mango or strawberries on a salad...but never alone just for the sake of it.  I have fared so much better this way.

I'm another in the no-fruit (or at least not often!) camp. I started out my whole30 eating a small amount *with* breakfast but found that on those days I was hungry sooner. Then I tried a little after meal 3 if I felt the need to cleanse my pallet, but when I discovered sauerkraut I also discovered that it cleanses the pallet better - and it doesn't leave me with a feeling of wanting more like fruit sometimes did.

I liken battling your sugar dragon to dealing with a toddler tantrum - if you give in to that screaming toddler they'll continue to test your boundaries on a regular basis. Continue to ignore the screaming toddler & soon the battle is won.

Add more veg, not fruit.

OK thanks everyone! Fruit is so good and sweet I feel like maybe I was just craving sugar. I'm going to cut most of the fruit out and see what happens. I want to win this food addiction, be healthy, and get to a healtby weight. I've lost 80 pounds the past year and a half but on a stand still. I'm hoping this will at least break that even if I only lose 5 pounds! 120 more pounds to go.

Every few weeks or so I'll spot some fruit at the grocery store that looks particularly yummy so I'll pick it up and have some with my breakfast. It's not usually a daily thing though. Fruit has become more of a condiment for me as opposed to an actual part of the meal. Although, when cherries come back in season, I'll definitely be eating some. Fresh cherries and fresh raspberries are two of my favorite things in the world, but only when in season.

• Administrators

I'm finding this whole discussion very interesting.  The folks that have had good, long term success with Whole30 and W30-style eating, as a general rule it seems, choose not to eat fruit as part of their daily lives.  Very interesting.

Eat real proteins with complete enzymes and fats.   Beef, bison, fish, fowl, pork and good dietary fats will smother sugar cravings.

Fruits won't help insulin resistance.  Bananas and mangos are the sugariest fruits....fresh berries are a better choice.

I'm finding this whole discussion very interesting.  The folks that have had good, long term success with Whole30 and W30-style eating, as a general rule it seems, choose not to eat fruit as part of their daily lives.  Very interesting.

I'm not sure this is true. Personally, I don't feel like I have a ton of fruit, and it would be a very rare thing to have more than one serving of fruit in a given day but I'm at a place where I do not have to restrict it to zero. I suspect there are lots of whole30ers like me, who eat fruit in moderation a couple time per week (or more, on weeks like this week when I accidentally had a bag of navel oranges to get through by myself and a bad cold).

It is ok to eat fruit in quantities up to 2 servings per day, as long as your personal context permits it (activity levels, insulin resistance, etc) and it does not push veggies and protein and fat off your plate.

I'm not sure this is true. Personally, I don't feel like I have a ton of fruit, and it would be a very rare thing to have more than one serving of fruit in a given day but I'm at a place where I do not have to restrict it to zero. I suspect there are lots of whole30ers like me, who eat fruit in moderation a couple time per week (or more, on weeks like this week when I accidentally had a bag of navel oranges to get through by myself and a bad cold).

It is ok to eat fruit in quantities up to 2 servings per day, as long as your personal context permits it (activity levels, insulin resistance, etc) and it does not push veggies and protein and fat off your plate.

Hear hear.  I've continued to have fruit, maybe not every day, and not lots, and I've lost more weight. Did another Whole30 earlier this year and lost another 10 lbs. That's in addition to weight I lost in my Whole30 in the spring of 2013, and continued to take more off gradually and then maintain for a while when riding my own bike.

It does boil down to personal context in this case.

• Moderators

I agree both that fruit can be a problem and that we need not demonize it. Again, personal context. I've gone through periods of restriction because I needed to break the habit of reaching for it/ending a meal with a sweet taste. But now I'm fine with 1-2 servings a day when I want it. Never with breakfast for me, though. That still sets off cravings throughout the day. And too late in the day tends to disrupt my sleep. So, a little fruit midday with meal 2 is generally how I choose to eat fruit.

• Administrators

Phewee! I apologize if my comment came across either that I was demonizing fruit, I certainly wasn't. I also apologize because my wording came across as a sweeping generalization about success as it relates to fruit for more than the people I was referring to.

I have always said that I choose not to eat any fruit and that this choice is not a Whole30 recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread, indeed. I am only day 6 into my journey and I'm really proud of myself. I have been 100% dedicated and compliant and feel good :) Before this committment I would either skip breakfast (usually) or have a pastry. If I was craving sugar in the afternoon I would grab a cookie. I have kept my weight within normal healehy range but I was not eating nutrionally. Now, I am eating whole, clean foods. I may have a banana with breakfast (with my protein and fat and veggies).

I was talking about this with my husband this week... I feel like I should not grab an apple midday if I'm hungry because it's looked down upon for this program (eating fruit by itself). I TOTALLY understand about battling the sugar dragon. I need to! Yet, if I can change my habits and cravings to an apple in the afternoon - haven't I won the battle?

I know I am only 6 days in and it's WAY too soon to tell. I have not made a true lifestyle change YET. But, when I finish the 30 days and reintroduce foods properly and completly change my eating for the better - and eating fruit by itself as a snack (or with 2-3 meals day) is my new norm - I just can't see how that is bad for me.

• Moderators

Interesting thread, indeed. I am only day 6 into my journey and I'm really proud of myself. I have been 100% dedicated and compliant and feel good :) Before this committment I would either skip breakfast (usually) or have a pastry. If I was craving sugar in the afternoon I would grab a cookie. I have kept my weight within normal healehy range but I was not eating nutrionally. Now, I am eating whole, clean foods. I may have a banana with breakfast (with my protein and fat and veggies).

I was talking about this with my husband this week... I feel like I should not grab an apple midday if I'm hungry because it's looked down upon for this program (eating fruit by itself). I TOTALLY understand about battling the sugar dragon. I need to! Yet, if I can change my habits and cravings to an apple in the afternoon - haven't I won the battle?

I know I am only 6 days in and it's WAY too soon to tell. I have not made a true lifestyle change YET. But, when I finish the 30 days and reintroduce foods properly and completly change my eating for the better - and eating fruit by itself as a snack (or with 2-3 meals day) is my new norm - I just can't see how that is bad for me.

I get where you're coming from. I really do. A piece of fruit is certainly healthier than a cookie, so in that sense you've made improvement in that area. And improvement is good.

Improvement is not necessarily the end result, though. What we're saying is that there is still more room for improvement. All of us always have room for improvement. I know I don't have all of this perfect in my own life. What we're saying is that you can continue to improve -- and isn't that something all of us want to do in life, continue to make our lives better?

The reason fruit on its own isn't the greatest choice is that it still can cause a rise and drop in blood sugar, which can affect your mood and hunger level the rest of the day. And it can keep your sugar dragon alive, causing cravings for other sweets.

Gina, it's not so much a question of "good or bad", but rather, "good, better, best". Fruit in the afternoon is "good" compared to, like, a Snickers bar, but having a template meal at lunch of protein, fat, & vegetables that keeps you satiated and productive until dinner time is "better".

This thread was really helpful! I was just sitting here feeling sad and guilty because I had a Larabar this morning with breakfast, then as a snack as I was sitting bored and tired, I had 2 dried figs. Fruit really affects me and spikes up my sugar dragon. I am on Day 14 of my first Whole30, so it's an improvement from chocolate at every meal, but still, it affects me. I'm going to try and get rid of it for a couple days and see how it goes. Thanks!

That would be great, Jenny.  Unless you had an emergency at the breakfast table,  those Larabars should stashed in a vault until Day 31.  Chocolate at every meal?  Nah, not really...really?

Yes, pretty much every meal. I had chocolate protein powder for breakfast for months, after lunch I would have a piece or two of dark chocolate, after dinner I would have a couple or more chocolate covered almonds. So, yes, legit sugar dragon! I have a pretty high metabolism, work out 5-6 times a week and teach on my feet all day, so I typically burn through the sugar, but limiting fruit will help to burn the fat for fuel instead.

Archived