Experienced Whole30er + Hunger Pangs Day 1

Hello again, Forum!

I've done 4-5 Whole30's in the last 3 years - results ranging from "OMG wonderful!" to "meh I could have stopped at two weeks and gotten the same results". No matter, I love doing this.

Interestingly - today is Day 1 and this evening I felt AWFUL hunger pangs. I usually eat Whole30ish minus some consciously unhealthy choices. But I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same? Here's what I did/ate today:

0530 - black coffee

0545 CrossFit - squat day + 3 round AMRAP 1 minute lunges, 1 minute push press, 1 minute knees to elbow and 1 minute rest

0740 Meal 1 - Breakfast Salad - 1 egg, 1 egg white, 1 turkey sausage, spinach, bell peppers, 1 tbsp olive oil

0900 - apple w/black coffee

1230 - Meal 2 - 4.5 oz tilapia, asparagus, 1/2 avocado

1430 - ~2oz chicken breast, small servings of snap peas and carrots, about half a handful of olives

1900 - ~4.5 oz chicken breast, 2 tbsp guacamole, snap peas and carrots, sautéed kale

[cue worst hunger pain in my life at 2030 -that  "so hungry I'm going to vomit" feeling, followed by literally salivating and spitting into a sink]

2230 - a bite of steak, bites of sweet potato, hard boiled egg, 2 breakfast turkey sausages, a few snap peas and carrots and half a handful of olives

Maybe I'm tired from the weekend? It was a friend's wedding weekend so my eating/drinking was especially intense. Anyhow - very interested if anyone has thoughts/similar experiences.

I'm thinking how you felt may largely be due to what you consumed this weekend.

That being said, some other thoughts:

- are you pre-menstrual?

- is your 1st coffee of the day caffeinated? That can act as an appetite suppressant.

- you ate 6 times today. The recommendation is 3 meals, each built to satiate you for 4-5 hours. When you workout, you can add pre and/or post workout fuel: the pre recommendation is protein and fat; post is protein and carb. I'd suggest playing with your protein, veg and fat portions to get to a place where your meals satiate you longer.

- avoid having fruit as a snack: instead have a mini meal of protein, veg and fat.

- are you drinking at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight?

Yeah, I've had that happen too. Like you, I've done several Whole30s with mostly Whole30-style eating in between. It does seem that coming to a Whole30 from a period (even a brief one) of serious off-roading, can lead to those kinds of hunger pangs.

It's very uncomfortable and for me, in the first week (I'm doing an actual real-deal Whole30 right now myself) it was also accompanied by some headache/grumpiness that I haven't had for a while.

All that to say that yeah, it can happen - and I really think the best answer is to eat. Our bodies are so used to good nutrition now! So when we take even a few days off, and then go back to the good stuff, our bodies kind of insist on MORE OF THAT.

I know it doesn't feel like a good thing now (I had a headache for several days last week, during which I would not have posted anything this upbeat!) but it does indicate that our bodies are really really ready for lots of good nutrition.

One thing that really helped me was, a few days in, I finally gave in to that feeling and ate a really shocking amount of food (for me anyway). The next day I woke up feeling like an actual human being again. So - turns out, our bodies know what we need. Who knew?

Go ahead and eat, and it will settle down in a few days. You got this.

ETA: Also, what Chris said - we were typing at the same time!

My initial reaction is to say that you were seriously low on fat and protein, ESPECIALLY coming off a resistance-focused AMRAP. I've noticed a big change in my hunger depending on if it was a cardio-focused day versus a serious weight training day. I can get away with a light meal on a cardio day, but after weight training, my body full on revolts until I feed it a solid meal. Most of your proteins were on the lean side which is fine and all, but that means you have to be mindful of adding additional fat to your meal to make up for it.

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but I find that, for me, when I eat white fish, I have to eat twice as much as I would, say, an oily fish or other type of meat. I don't know if it's because of how little fat is in it or what, but my minimum serving for tilapia is two filets in addition to my boatload of veggies and some good fat.

• Administrators

I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat, but I find that, for me, when I eat white fish, I have to eat twice as much as I would, say, an oily fish or other type of meat. I don't know if it's because of how little fat is in it or what, but my minimum serving for tilapia is two filets in addition to my boatload of veggies and some good fat.

YES!! White fish is brutal for feeling satisfied as far as I'm concerned! I always feel like I have to add a tonne of fat to even feel like I've eaten and even at that it's often an emotionally disappointing meal (if that makes any sense). We very rarely have white fish for this reason.

I enjoy white fish, but the last time I ate tilapia, I'm pretty sure I polished off four filets in addition to some shredded chicken and whatever else I ate that night. (We were camping and it was taco night. :) )

• Administrators

Oh, I can totally do whitefish as tacos.  Mostly because I "bread" it in coconut (fat) and make avocado cream sauce for it (fat) and sometimes throw some mayo mixed w/ Frank's Red Hot on top (fat).  LOL!

Oh, I can totally do whitefish as tacos.  Mostly because I "bread" it in coconut (fat) and make avocado cream sauce for it (fat) and sometimes throw some mayo mixed w/ Frank's Red Hot on top (fat).  LOL!

Yeeeeeees. That sounds amazing. I'm going to "gently" nudge my pescetarian buddy toward making this for us in the near future. :)

• Administrators

I do the Stupid Easy Paleo tortillas (when not on W30, of course) but small size, like you'd get for street tacos.  I do the Against All Grain fish and pico and I do an avocado cream sauce that I saw on the Whole30recipes insta page.  I can post the recipe for that too if you want.

Yep, the only way I can eat white fish is in a chowder mixed with salmon & maybe some mackerel (or whatever else is on offer) - I use coconut milk now instead of double cream, and add sweet potato, white potato, leeks & parsley into the mix to keep me fuller for longer - you can practically stand your spoon up in that bad boy!

I do the Stupid Easy Paleo tortillas (when not on W30, of course) but small size, like you'd get for street tacos.  I do the Against All Grain fish and pico and I do an avocado cream sauce that I saw on the Whole30recipes insta page.  I can post the recipe for that too if you want.

Yes please! (Gosh, I think I love you. :wub: )

• Administrators

Yes please! (Gosh, I think I love you. :wub: )

LOL, I'm pretty fond of you too!  

Avocado Cream Sauce

done in a Magic bullet

1 avocado

juice of a lime

4-6 tbsp cilantro, chopped (to be honest I usually use the entire bunch)

2-4 cloves garlic, minced

salt to taste

1/4 cup coconut milk....or enough to get it to the consistency you want.  I make it like mayo, thick and bloppable.  

Cram it all in a magic bullet cup (or blender) and buzz until it's smooth.

I use this fish & pico recipe: http://againstallgrain.com/2012/05/03/paleo-fish-tacos/

Archived