Getting My Feet Wet (Riverjack)

kcrady57

It's the day after completion of my extended (40 day) Whole 30, and this is my post-Whole 30 log. If you haven't read my Whole 30 log, you might want to read the first post here to better understand my title...

So this is the day after my Whole 30, and the beginning of the rest of my life grounded by the Whole 9. I feel too good after these past 6 weeks to go back to eating the kind of junk that had me feeling miserable. I plan to eat clean 80 to 90 percent of the time. Occasionally an opportunity will arise for some wading in the shallows - eating some food that isn't in the program. I'll indulge, if I decide it's worth it, knowing full well what I am eating, how it is likely to affect me, and what I'll do afterwards to get back on track!

With that in mind, my "partner-in-crime" and I reintroduced dairy today. The greek yogurt with my nuts and berries this morning was tasty and went down easily. The grated raw milk cheddar cheese topping my carnitas salad was also quite good and didn't seem to have any adverse effect.

The Haagen-Daaz Salted Caramel Truffle ice cream for dessert this evening... tasted delicious, although rather rich. I finished my bowl, and not long afterwards noticed that I was feeling some discomfort in the area of my tummy... a couple of hours later and I'm feeling bloated and uncomfortable. I'm not certain whether it was the dairy or the sugar that did this, but I'm inclined to blame the sugar. Future experiments will nail it down better, I'm sure. I really hope it's the sugar that poses the problem; I miss my cheese much more than I miss ice cream!

I probably won't stick to a tight reintro schedule - a week from tonight we have the opportunity to go to a retro drive-in movie, and unlimited popcorn and a couple of boxes of movie candy are part of the package deal. I'll indulge, to a degree - but given tonight's experience I doubt it will be a grand free-for-all!

The journey is just getting started... :)

HI Kaye,

Good to see you here! I too will be logging my post whole30 journey (although not in as much detail as I did the whole 30)

I too have troubles with ice cream. I think the dairy/sugar combo is what gets me. shame because I do enjoy it on occasion, but as you said missing out on cheese would be a shame!

After my whole 30 I'm planning to play around with some coconut milk ice cream recipes and come up with something with very low sugar and maybe some dairy but not much. Ice cream is one of the foods in life that makes me happy just eating it. Of course, maybe I'll feel different later on, because I thought I was going to die without cheese and as it turns out I'm not missing it much.

Hi all,

Good news is I bounced back quickly from the ice cream! It's probably something I'll enjoy in moderation, on rare occasions. I can also stay away from something as rich as I had on Friday (thinking Haagen Daz Five Vanilla, or maybe a sherbet). Somehow the Salted Caramel Truffle just isn't so appetizing anymore ^_^

This week is proving to be a bit challenging to me - after the health scare in the family last week, we're off schedule on shopping and cooking, and thoughts of convenience food have flittered through my head. Fortunately they've flittered out just as quickly, so far. We'll be fine, though, since that same health crisis just demonstrated all over again how important it is to keep on eating healthy.

I thought I was going to die without cheese and as it turns out I'm not missing it much.

Ha... I never thought I would make it past day 1... now I can't imagine reintroduction for fear of going off in the wrong direction again!

Good for you Kaye for not folding under pressure to conveniene eating!! I hope you guys get back into your groove!!!

Okay, as promised in another thread, here's my Paleo Vegetable Soup recipe... this is loosely based on a recipe found in an old Betty Crocker cookbook.

Beef and Broth for Soup

• 2 lbs beef shank crosscut
  • 2 tbsp oil (olive or coconut)
  • 6 cups cold water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 carrot, cut up
  • 1 stalk celery with leaves, cut up
  • 1 medium onion, cut up
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
  • 5-7 peppercorns
  • 3-5 cloves
  • 3 sprigs parsley
  • 1 bay leaf

In a large stockpot:

Heat 2 tbsp oil until hot. Cook beef shanks in oil over medium heat until brown on both sides (this doesn't take long!). Add water, heat to boiling. Stir in remaining ingredients; heat to boiling. Skim foam, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 3 hours.

Remove beef from broth; cool beef until just cool enough to handle (about 10 minutes). Strain broth. Remove beef from bones; shred the beef (save the bones for bone broth!). Discard the vegetables and seasonings. Skim fat from broth if you aren't using grassfed beef shanks. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate broth and beef in separate containers up to 24 hours, or freeze for later use.

Note: for the soup, you might want to double up on this recipe so you don't have to add a commercial beef broth... you'd also be doubling up on the meat in the soup, which should be fine.

Paleo Vegetable Beef Soup

Warning, measurements for this soup are approximate! I just add stuff until it looks and tastes right.

• Beef and Broth for Soup (see above)
  • 32 oz organic beef broth (or more beef and broth for soup if you doubled the broth recipe. Commercial beef broth has added sugar, using it invalidates the soup for Whole 30)
  • 2 medium to large rutabagas, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 bag frozen green beans or equivalent amount of fresh green beans
  • 42-45 oz diced tomatoes (1 can 28 oz + 1 can 15 oz, or 3 cans 15 oz - I like Muir Glen Fire Roasted)
  • 3 bay leaves
  • Black pepper - 1/2 to 1 tsp - add to taste
  • Oregano - a couple of tbsp maybe? add more as needed
  • Basil - 1 tbsp? no more than half the amount of oregano
  • Mexican Chili Powder - 1/2 tsp
  • Garlic Powder - 1/2 to 1 tsp, adjust to taste

Prepare beef and broth for soup (see above). Add enough water to broth to measure 6 cups; return beef and broth to stock pot.

Stir all ingredients into broth. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (or you can't stand waiting any longer!) - about 60 minutes.

I think this soup is even better the next day. The original recipe had peas and corn; I didn't miss that as much as I thought after doubling up on the other veggies. I thought about trying riced cauliflower to replace the barley, but cauliflower has a strong flavor and I was afraid it would change the soup too much. Turns out I don't miss the barley at all.

Best of luck if you try the recipe - plan to taste and adjust a lot while the soup simmers, and let me know how it turns out for you! This soup is one of my all-time favorite comfort foods and I'm overjoyed to have a paleo version!

(Hmmm, maybe I should double-post this in the food forums?)

Hi friends,

It seems as though I just don't have as much to talk about, post-Whole30, as I obviously have not been talking a lot here. I still check in and read other posts pretty regularly, but in this thread the posts will be infrequent at best. Don't worry, I'm staying on track - love the way I feel and love the food I'm eating too much to end this journey!

I did off-road with some gluten (a hamburger with bun), dairy and sugar (malted milk and some bites of licorice) the other day on a special occasion, and I will NOT be repeating that experiment any time soon. Bloated, uncomfortable, swelling ankles, stuffed up head, etc. - all very noticeable within the first 24 hours after that meal. Feeling much better now after several days of clean eating!

Whole Life for me!

Laters all...

(p.s. if you're wanting to stay in touch beyond Whole30, shoot me a pm...)

Archived