I am eating too much, but following the guidelines!

need2succeed

I am not used to eating a very high fat diet. I usually stick to chicken and fish, and minimal amounts of cooking oil. My fat sources for the day used to come from a tbsp Pbutter, or a couple cashews. Now, I see that the guidelines are reccomending me to eat either 1 handful of olives/coconut/nuts, half an avocado, or a thumb-sized portion of some type of oil??? That is a lot of fat for me! Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast: 1 handful cashews, 1/4 sweet potato, 3 egg whites

Lunch: Tilapia with fresh herbs, sun dried tomatoes cooked in olive oil with sweet potato mash

Dinner: 3 c spinach w/ half an avocado, 1 tomato. BBQ pulled pineapple pork

Snack: 1 tbsp sunbutter

Today so far:

Breakfast: 1 small sweet potato, 1/4 c onion, 1/2 chicken sausage link and 1 egg

I feel a little better today than i did yesterday, and I think the nuts did it. But is it really neccecary for me to eat all that fat? My body is not used to it, and by 3 pm I was feeling like a whale because I was so tired. Even after going out for a walk I just feel so sluggish. Can I stick to leaner cuts of meat and have a side of non-starchy veg and a side of starchy-veg and still be compliant? Or do I really need to add that in?

Interestingly, you say you have eaten too much fat & yet you felt the need to snack on more of it... 

That in itself is indicative that you are not eating enough in general. You'd have been better eating whole eggs rather than just the white, adding more of the sweet potato (at least a half of one) and switching the nuts for a fat source that's easier on the digestive system - avocado works well for me at breakfast time.

Your breakfast protein looks light to me for today and I don't see any fat - you really *do* need to follow the templates in order to feel satiated, to avoid snacking & to beat the cravings.

A lot of people feel full in the early days having been used to grazing throughout the day, rather than eating 3 full meals - work your way up in volume if need be, packing the remainder of your meal to eat later as a mini meal rather than having a snack.

Your body needs fat. Like really needs it. Many nutrients are fat soluble and are not absorbed without it. Fat slows digestion and helps you feel satiated longer. Right now you are not even meeting the minimum of the recommended meal template on fat, protein, or vegetables. You are not feeling sluggish because you are eating too much, I imagine it is because you are eating too little. When eggs are your only protein we recommend as many WHOLE eggs (all the nutrition is in the yolk) as you can hold in your hand without dropping them. Unless your hands are child sized tiny your meal 1 today didn't have enough protein either.

You CAN eat leaner meats and veggies and still be COMPLIANT. Compliance is just following the rules - the what you can and can not eat. But if you want the best results from the Whole30 following the recommendations on the how, why, and when is the way to go.

Have you read It Starts With Food?

• Administrators

I feel a little better today than i did yesterday, and I think the nuts did it. But is it really neccecary for me to eat all that fat? My body is not used to it, and by 3 pm I was feeling like a whale because I was so tired. 

I don't necessarily understand why being tired makes you feel like a whale....but nuts are hard on the digestive system for some and that could contribute to feeling not well.  Feeling extra tired could also be because you really aren't eating enough food (your bfast was nearly non existent).  Veggies and protein are light, your fat intake seems alright but again, I would go towards non-nut fats.  Avocado or olives or some homemade mayo.

Don't forget about green veggies for breakfast and lunch. Veggies, protein, and fat are ALL important on the template and skimping on any of them can leave you feel tired or hungry. Make it a goal to have non-starchy veg at every meal.

Hi all, thanks for your comments.

jmcb: I snacked on the sun-butter not because I was hungry. I was still full but I felt like I did not eat as much fat for that day as the template said, so I ate something else along with it. Today is a bit better. For my PWO just now I had 1 tbsp sunbutter with an asian pear. For Post-WO I have no idea what I will eat. I usually drink a protein shake so I am going to have to come up with a better replacement. I dont like boiled eggs so that makes my life a bit difficult.

LadyShanny: I felt like a whale because all the food made me feel tired, like I couldnt move, couldnt lift my limbs. I was trying to keep my eyes open by early afternoon which is not normal for me at all. I will try the non-nut fats. They are my favorite which is why I lean towards them but I went to sprouts yesterday and bought avocados, olives and coconut so I have some more options. Do egg yolks count as a fat source? I have always seen them as such but Idk about what the whole30 says.

PhysiBeth: I have not read it. I am in school full time right now so I honestly have no time to read any other books besides the ones required for school. I read whole30 blogs though and have done as much research as I can here on the website. It seems that I can hold 4 eggs in my hand which is a lot! My bodybuilder dieter inside says- too much! I usually eat 5-6 small meals a day so 3 whites and 1 whole would be what i would normally do.

Is it possible that I feel so tired because it is hard to digest large amounts of food at one time? Used to eat 300 cal per meal approximately. Now it has almost doubled. 

You are probably tired and lethargic because you didn't eat enough - this is a common problem - especially in the first few days.  Your meal 1 was next to nothing.  I would be gnawing on my arm by 2pm!

Follow the meal template of 3 meals a day.  Try not to snack.  If you absolutely need a snack - meaning you are hungry enough to eat something super plain like steamed broccoli and steamed fish - then eat!  Even if you add a mini meal - make sure it is protein, veg, and fat.  Try to avoid snacks made up of nuts, nut butters and fruit.

It is actually not healthy for you to eat continuous small meals throughout the day.  Why?  Because this means your digestive tract is constantly working.  It needs some rest too, you know.

Learn to recognize your body's proper hunger signals.  This is a big component of the whole 30.  How can you recognize proper hunger signals when you are eating all the time?

Used to eat 300 cal per meal approximately. Now it has almost doubled. 

To make a real go of whole30 you need to forget what you did before & eat as per the guidelines, honestly. Calorie counting, food weighing, tracking macros etc are completely discouraged. It may *seem* like a lot of food in one sitting but your body will soon adjust - and you're probably tired because your body is working hard to do so.

Pre WO aim for fat & protein, post WO aim for protein & carbs (preferably not fruit) You say you are too poor for the wild meats, but I'm betting on your BB diet that you ate a lot of chicken - that will work well here too.

Incidentally, I'm a 5'2" female of 125 lbs and I've eaten 4 eggs in one sitting on more than one occasion - on top of fats & veg - I think you could easily manage that too.

Munkers-

breakfast: 1/2-1 c of oats with 1/2 an apple, 2 tbsp chia seeds, some cinnamon and cottage cheese.

Post WO: protein shake and a banana

Lunch:  broccoli, carrots or a salad with sweet potato, brown rice, quinoa or whole grain bread depending on my activity level up to that point combined with chicken, meatballs or seafood of some kind.

Snack: greek yogurt with some almonds

dinner: big serving of veggies with a protein cooked in non-stick skillet, no oil. Sometimes I would have avocado or something like that with my veggie.

Bedtime snack: some kind of protein with a healthy fat.

Carlacicinni: Yeah that totally makes sense. Your GI tract does need a break. I found yesterday that I was not hungry at all! There was no stomach rumbling or feelings of anxiety that usually come from hunger. Just lethargy. I did feel better after eating, but it didnt last long which is strange.

JMCBN: Yeah that totally makes sense as well. Calorie counting is hardwired in my system at this point unfortunately, without me even thinking about it. I do eat lots of chicken I suppose post wo will be the biggest challenge. I guess the template is given a range. I can just count this first week as a troubleshooting kind of thing.

JMCBN: Yeah that totally makes sense as well. Calorie counting is hardwired in my system at this point unfortunately, without me even thinking about it. I do eat lots of chicken I suppose post wo will be the biggest challenge. I guess the template is given a range. I can just count this first week as a troubleshooting kind of thing.

Totally - it takes most people a few days to settle down, tweak their meals & really get into the swing of things. Just keep asking if you're not sure - there's always someone around who'll be able to help. Re post WO tinned fish is a great cheap & convenient protein to have on hand - just keep a few in your gym bag - they take up way less room than a shake, and won't get bruised like a banana. Yep, been there, done that!!

What if I dont like canned fish? For my post w/o today I had tilapia w/o oil and carrots. Does that work?

Also, concerning the "sugar dragon," I want to kill it. Is it ok to eat fruit when I am not having an intense sugar craving? I know when the craving comes I need to resist, but what if I am just hungry and that is the most convenient thing?

You would be best served ignoring that craving and have a big mug of well seasoned bone broth or if you are truly hungry then I suggest a mini meal--some nut butter stuffed celery and a chicken leg or 1/2 a small breast, or some homemade dip made from homemade or at least compliant mayo, seasoned how you like with veggies and a protein choice--jerky, the aforementioned chicken, or boiled shrimp--all those are better choices than just having a fruit. Fruits are best at the end of a meal, not as a snack on their own. Veggies are far more nutritious. 

What if I dont like canned fish? For my post w/o today I had tilapia w/o oil and carrots. Does that work?

Also, concerning the "sugar dragon," I want to kill it. Is it ok to eat fruit when I am not having an intense sugar craving? I know when the craving comes I need to resist, but what if I am just hungry and that is the most convenient thing?

Here's what you need to be aiming at:

1. 1-2 palm-size servings of protein (eat whole eggs, not just egg whites; when eggs are your only source of protein, a serving is how many you can hold in your hand - usually 3-4 for women)

2. 1-2 or more thumb-size servings of fat (note that nuts are ONLY a fat source, NOT a protein source, on Whole30)

3. 1-3 cups of veggies

Do that three times a day, the first time within an hour of waking.

If you are also working out that day, you get two more meals: pre-workout is protein and fat (like, say, a hard boiled egg); and post-workout is lean protein and carbs (like, say, chicken breast and sweet potato). Depending on the timing and intensity of your workouts, you can play around with these meals a bit, but not with their composition or with their real-actual-food-ness.

If you prepare your Meal One (the meal formerly known as Breakfast) and discover that you are not able to eat it all, that's fine. Wrap it up and finish it when you can. Sooner than you think, you will be able to eat full meals.

There is absolutely no virtue in eating low fat, counting calories, minimizing how much you eat, etc. None. Eat up. I eat dinner out of former mixing bowls. Try it. You'll never look back.

• Administrators

I would definitely caution you against reaching for fruit when you're hungry and it's the most convenient. If you are crafting your meals to last you 4-5 hours, there shouldn't typically be a situation where you need to grab a fruit. Fruits alone, regardless of if you are actively craving the sweets, will spike your blood sugar and delay any balancing of said blood sugar.

Don't force yourself to eat anything you don't like - you'll end up making it harder on yourself. Tilapia and carrots sound fine - were the carrots cooked? They'd be easier on the stomach if they were.

The others have answered your question re fruit, and I'd concur that there are better choices available, and if you *must* have fruit then have it as a part of your meal rather than as a snack so as to avoid the blood sugar spike. And if you *must* have fruit then berries are the better option.

Pre & postWO are more like mini meals - pre taken in the hour before training, & post taken immediately after.

If I train at silly o'clock in the morning I take a preWO, train, take my postWO, shower, & then take meal 1 an hour or so later. If I train in the evenings I'll only take a preWO if I'm ravenous before training and know it'll be a tough session. Likewise I'll sometimes combine postWO & meal 3 in the evenings if only a short time will pass before bed time. If I was training at 10am in the morning & getting up at 8am and having meal 1 I wouldn't bother with a preWO, but would probably take a postWO before meal 2....

It's very much dependent on both your training schedule, and the intensity of your training - you really have to tweak it to suit yourself. 

Munkers-

breakfast: 1/2-1 c of oats with 1/2 an apple, 2 tbsp chia seeds, some cinnamon and cottage cheese.

Post WO: protein shake and a banana

Lunch:  broccoli, carrots or a salad with sweet potato, brown rice, quinoa or whole grain bread depending on my activity level up to that point combined with chicken, meatballs or seafood of some kind.

Snack: greek yogurt with some almonds

dinner: big serving of veggies with a protein cooked in non-stick skillet, no oil. Sometimes I would have avocado or something like that with my veggie.

Bedtime snack: some kind of protein with a healthy fat.

Carlacicinni: Yeah that totally makes sense. Your GI tract does need a break. I found yesterday that I was not hungry at all! There was no stomach rumbling or feelings of anxiety that usually come from hunger. Just lethargy. I did feel better after eating, but it didnt last long which is strange.

The lethargy may also be tied to some carb flu. Even though you're still eating sweet potatoes, you're still going from a higher carb style of eating (oatmeal and fruit followed by more fruit with your snack and then grains or other carbs at lunch) to a lower carb. Whole30 doesn't HAVE to be low-carb, but since grains are out the door, people end up decreasing their carb intake without realizing. Try increasing your starch intake (sweet potatoes, other root veggies, butternut or acorn squash, beets, etc.) and see if that helps. You may also find that, in the beginning, your body's need for food will require four full template meals. If that's the case for you--no worries, just try to focus on the template instead of going back to the nut/fruit method of snacking. Protein, fat, and veggies will slay your sugar dragon better than a bunch of nuts and fruit.

If your schedule allows, a quick walk in the afternoon can help perk you up and also helps with digestion since walking encourages bowel motility. When I'm stuck at work and really dying in the afternoon, I'll take an extended bathroom break and walk to the other end of my building, up the stairs, and down the hall to the restroom before coming back. It's 10 minutes tops, but it helps me.

• 3 weeks later...

For breakfast I make the Sunrise Scramble from WellFed 2 (3 oz ground turkey, 1/3 sweet potato, 1/3 apple, cinnamon spice) along with cooked spinach and 2-3 poached eggs and a tablespoon of almond butter. Very occasionally I have a half of a pear or some berries with it. Is that too much? I have about 5.5-6 hours between breakfast and lunch with my break schedule. Is the almond butter unnecessary? I am a teacher so I used to have a mid-morning snack everyday, but thankfully I can last to lunch now most of the time. 

Lunches I never have a problem with feeling too full, and dinners about the same (although I am on the bigger side of serving size usually 3 cups of veggies)

Thanks!

Hi Jenny,

If your meals are filling you up for 4-5 hours you are golden! If you are full for much longer then you might want to either eliminate the nut butter or scale it back (eggs do contain some fat in them - but I find eggs on their own will never fill me up properly)

Also please do not let fruit push veggies off your plate.  If you are getting 2 - 3 cups of veggies with your meal and you feel a little hungry afterwards then add the fruit.  But fruit should not prioritize veggies. 

Archived