giving up coffee with cream and sweetener is going to be hard!

Sophsmom

I'm just getting my ducks in a row and finishing the book and hope to start my w30 next week. But I'm finding that I'm terrified that I won;t be able to give up my morning cup of coffee with cream and sweet n low. I tried black coffee this morning and gagged. For some reason, this one thing, this one cup of coffee is like crack to me. And I like it creamy and sweet. Did others have trouble with this? Will the craving go away after a few days?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO - and before anyone else comes along & suggests it - the *worst* thing you could do would be to try it with coconut milk. Go cold turkey - you'll either soon adapt to the taste of black coffee (I'm talking a matter of mere days), or you'll break the coffee habit altogether and find a healthier alternative.

A successful whole30 to me is not just about being complant, but about dealing with how we use food/drinks as crutches, and doing away with those unhealthy habits..

Honestly, you can cope without it.

• Moderators

I had the same fear just before beginning my first Whole30. I had gotten rid of the sugar long ago, but still used full fat dairy. So I started drinking it black, French Press style. I'm glad I tried it. I didn't enjoy it that much, therefore I didn't sip and linger and drink more than I needed. It was interesting discovering that.

Nowadays I do drink my coffee at home with coconut milk, because I enjoy it. But I am to the point where I can enjoy it black as well, which I find important as I can't get coconut milk many places. I've also downshifted to 1/2 caf, then 1/4 caf, and now to Swiss Water Process decaf as I was going through the roof with energy.

For my first whole 30 I went cold turkey without coffee for about 10 days.  I was a double cream, double sugar girl.  I was one of these people who never truly enjoyed coffee *that* much - it was more for the energy boost thing.

However by day 10 I missed coffee so much that I decided I would just deal with it and drink it black.  It wasn't so bad.

Now most mornings I either drink it black or with coconut milk.  And I find I truly enjoy coffee.  More so now than when I drank it with cream and sugar.

Sad news - if something is like crack to you you probably have a real emotional attachment to it and proooobably don't need it all that much. Good news - a lot of people managed just fine and there is not better time for you to try and give it up entirely. It's actually a no science miracle here. You will probably be so distracted by planning, shopping and cooking, that the absence of coffee will be less and less painful. As the energy (and hormones) will be balancing out, you will notice that it will become take it or leave it kind of deal. 

Before you roll your eyes at my lecture, I will tell you that I've spent a lot of very sad days trying to give up coffee because I was truly addicted to it (cream and sugar then just black). It took some time before coming to a place where 2 cups is an absolute max I can possibly want. I CAN have as many as I please, because I am giving myself permission to. I don't because Whole30 gives you one amazing thing - being in tune with what your body truly wants/needs. 

All this talk aside, buy a good quality coffee and a good quality coffee maker (AeroPress for example) if you can. Find the one that tastes great without the fat sugar covering the flaws of the roast. Go for darker and creamier blend. Go to the local coffee shop (coffee snob in me whispers that Starbucks is not a local establishment I am talking about) and talk to the barista. Let them know what flavor profile you are looking for and buy beans there. Make it a fun adventure.

If all else fails, coconut milk for the win.   

All this talk aside, buy a good quality coffee and a good quality coffee maker (AeroPress for example) if you can. Find the one that tastes great without the fat sugar covering the flaws of the roast. Go for darker and creamier blend. Go to the local coffee shop (coffee snob in me whispers that Starbucks is not a local establishment I am talking about) and talk to the barista. Let them know what flavor profile you are looking for and buy beans there. Make it a fun adventure.

Yes! What Nadia said! Depending on what kind of coffee you're used to, buying a good quality might make all the difference. It's a very different experience than, say, break room coffee loaded with sugar and creamer. I like a light roast myself (and my Chemex :) ), but either way, try a good bean.

I guess my view is a little different. Maybe it depends on how big of a change the W30 foods will be compared to your current diet. If it's a drastic change, personally I wouldn't want to deal with caffeine withdrawals on top of everything else. You won't be dealing with cravings, but massive awful headaches (at least that has been my experience). Maybe before you commit to a W30, you could spend a few weeks cutting back on the coffee or just reducing the cream/sugar slowly, experimenting with different kinds of coffee until you find one you can tolerate black, trying coconut milk or bulletproof coffee, etc. Otherwise maybe you could switch to black or green tea during your W30 so you can still get the caffeine. You could wean yourself off that later if you decide it's something you want to do. 

I loved loved loved creamer in my morning coffee. Would not could not drink it black. I tried coconut milk, almond milk... It was the sweetness I missed, so those didn't help. I finished my whole30 two months ago, and have not gone back to creamer, I still drink it black. I think creamer is one of those things that I'm just best off staying away from altogether. Do what's best for you, but drinking your coffe black Is. Not. Hard. (At least once you get used to it- it can e done, I promise).

"Sad news - if something is like crack to you you probably have a real emotional attachment to it and proooobably don't need it all that much. Good news - a lot of people managed just fine and there is not better time for you to try and give it up entirely."

I don't like 50 Shades of Grey.  I like "let your yes be yes and your no be no."

What I cannot moderate, I must eliminate.   I love what Nadia says.  She's reading my mail.  What she says.....really works for me.  If moderation schmoderation works for you,  I celebrate and applaud you.

All this talk aside, buy a good quality coffee and a good quality coffee maker (AeroPress for example) if you can.

And with the AeroPress, you don't even need as good quality of coffee. It makes even mediocre stuff taste good!

I guess my view is a little different. Maybe it depends on how big of a change the W30 foods will be compared to your current diet. If it's a drastic change, personally I wouldn't want to deal with caffeine withdrawals on top of everything else. You won't be dealing with cravings, but massive awful headaches (at least that has been my experience). Maybe before you commit to a W30, you could spend a few weeks cutting back on the coffee or just reducing the cream/sugar slowly, experimenting with different kinds of coffee until you find one you can tolerate black, trying coconut milk or bulletproof coffee, etc. Otherwise maybe you could switch to black or green tea during your W30 so you can still get the caffeine. You could wean yourself off that later if you decide it's something you want to do. 

The flip side of this argument...depending on where you're coming from diet-wise (heavy on carbs/sugar/processed junk), you may be bracing for carb hangover headaches anyway, so why not get the caffeine withdrawal out of the way at the same time. That's what I did - I cut off 2 cups of coffee with Splenda and 2+ cans of Mountain Dew a day, cold turkey. It was a pretty miserable first week, but knowing it was not JUST the caffeine and that I'd be miserable anyway actually made it easier to stick it out.

Caffeine is tricky - there's definitely a physical dependence component, or we wouldn't have such terrible withdrawal, but there's a psychological piece to it, too (coffee lover culture in particular). Everyone I know (my old self included) swears the could never survive without coffee, but guess what - you totally can. If you set yourself up for success in the rest of your diet and get your hormone/energy cycles operating the way nature designed them, you won't even miss the caffeine crutch.

Thanks for all the advice. I tried it black again this morning and just found it so bitter. I really love the taste of the sweat cream and artificial sweetener. I think I'll have to switch to hot tea in the morning to get my caffeine boost without it being so bitter.

The flip side of this argument...depending on where you're coming from diet-wise (heavy on carbs/sugar/processed junk), you may be bracing for carb hangover headaches anyway, so why not get the caffeine withdrawal out of the way at the same time. That's what I did - I cut off 2 cups of coffee with Splenda and 2+ cans of Mountain Dew a day, cold turkey. It was a pretty miserable first week, but knowing it was not JUST the caffeine and that I'd be miserable anyway actually made it easier to stick it out.

Caffeine is tricky - there's definitely a physical dependence component, or we wouldn't have such terrible withdrawal, but there's a psychological piece to it, too (coffee lover culture in particular). Everyone I know (my old self included) swears the could never survive without coffee, but guess what - you totally can. If you set yourself up for success in the rest of your diet and get your hormone/energy cycles operating the way nature designed them, you won't even miss the caffeine crutch.

My eating right now is pretty bad so the w30 is going to be a massive overhaul for me, and I mean massive. I'm 75 lbs overweight, sedentary, and suffering from what I suspect are some food-related issues such as GERD. I am totally motivated to do this, but terrified at the same time. I've done low carb in the past and remember that first week of feeling awful, so I know the first week on w30 may suck. But I gotta do it.

• Administrators

My eating right now is pretty bad so the w30 is going to be a massive overhaul for me, and I mean massive. I'm 75 lbs overweight, sedentary, and suffering from what I suspect are some food-related issues such as GERD. I am totally motivated to do this, but terrified at the same time. I've done low carb in the past and remember that first week of feeling awful, so I know the first week on w30 may suck. But I gotta do it.

The switch to Whole30 may be uncomfortable but please don't think this is a low carb diet. We recommend that people start with one serving of starchy veggie per day and more if you need it.

I LOVE coffee. I enjoy a cup in the morning while watching my kids play.  I tried it with coconut milk and vanilla beans and i too was missing the sweetness of my cream. But it just wasn't cutting it so I just quit all together for about 2 weeks. 

Then I started missing it in the morning so I tried it again and my taste buds have changed and I can get over not having it sweet and still enjoy it. 

I'd love to drink it black but it is so bitter!  :)

I prefer almond milk to coconut milk in my coffee - not as "creamer-like" as full-fat coconut milk, but helps cut the bitterness. I've been able to reduce the amount of almond milk over the past two weeks and think I will be able to go all black by the end of this week. I find that drinking it iced versus hot helps too. 

If I were to try to cut off caffeine cold turkey, I would have to take some time off from work. Pretty sure I'd be putting my co-workers and patients in danger :)

How do you make your coffee as it should not really be bitter? Something as simple as changing the temperature of the water can bring out the best in a bean while leaving the bitterness behind. 

Thanks for all the advice. I tried it black again this morning and just found it so bitter. I really love the taste of the sweat cream and artificial sweetener. I think I'll have to switch to hot tea in the morning to get my caffeine boost without it being so bitter.

Truthfully, I was a 4-6 cup a day coffee drinker before I started. I battled through black coffee and black tea the first three days in and then gave it up. Haven't had coffee in 12 days and I really don't miss it. My energy is great from eating great food and I don't feel like I need it at all!

I'm getting ready to start my journey with Whole30, but I noticed this topic and felt I should chime in. 

As some have mentioned, the beans can make a world of difference. I purchase mine online from a small roaster here in Wisconsin (Kickapoo Coffee). I find that I prefer their blends as opposed to a single origin. I think the blends are a bit smoother. Also, buy whole bean and get a good grinder.

As for the bitterness, your brewing style can make a huge difference. For the super coffee-savvy, pour-over is the way to go. There's a lot of equipment involved, so for the rest of us, the classic French press makes a great cup. Your water should be just shy of boiling. If your teapot whistles, take it off the burner and let it sit for a few minutes to take some of that heat off the water.

Another great method is cold brewing. With this method, you're pretty much making a coffee concentrate. This isn't quick, so do it on a day when you're doing a lot of Whole30 prep work. You store the concentrate in the fridge. When you're ready to drink your coffee, put about a shot glass of the concentrate in your cup and add hot water (once again, short of boiling). You can add concentrate or water to taste. You can also use this concentrate to make iced coffee. The most common cold-brew system is made by Toddy. It's pretty easy to use and it makes a great cup of coffee.

If you do use a traditional coffee maker, once the coffee is brewed, get it out of the pot and off of the maker's burner. Invest in a great thermal carafe. I love the thermal bottles made by Hydro Flask. They keep beverage hot/cold for long periods of time. The point is, coffee will get bitter if it sits on the heating element for too long.

Hope that helps....and I look forward to learning more about Whole30.

If bitterness is what you really hate about creamer-less, sweetener-less coffee, then put a little cinnamon in the grounds of your coffee. It truly makes a difference. I did that for the first week of my W30, but found quickly I didn't need it any more when I got some better quality coffee. I'm all done now, and had half and half in my coffee on Saturday morning and really didn't even think it was good.

Have you started yet?

I really dislike sweet coffee..bleck! But I do enjoy a dash of heavy cream in my first cup of the day. So I use unsweetened coconut cream from the Asian market. A lot of the commercial coconut creamers (Trader Joes, So Delicious) add sugar probably to extend shelf life. My 2nd cup of the day I drink black. I have been doing that for months before the Whole30. I get the crave thing but if that is the case, you may as well give up coffee altogether!

Before I started Whole30 I really thought my biggest hurdle was going to be not putting milk in my coffee (seriously I love my coffee). I have been a coffee drinker forever, never use sugar, but like it with milk. I tried Almond Milk and couldn't get it down, gave it up for a few days, but then I made a cup and sprinkled cinammon in it. Now I like it better this way then with Milk.... it's really good and I'm telling you I never would of thought I could get past adding milk to my coffee. Give it a try!!

Archived