giving up coffee with cream and sweetener is going to be hard!

Sophsmom

Before I started Whole30 I really thought my biggest hurdle was going to be not putting milk in my coffee (seriously I love my coffee). I have been a coffee drinker forever, never use sugar, but like it with milk. I tried Almond Milk and couldn't get it down, gave it up for a few days, but then I made a cup and sprinkled cinammon in it. Now I like it better this way then with Milk.... it's really good and I'm telling you I never would of thought I could get past adding milk to my coffee. Give it a try!!

Cinnamon - miracle worker! I had tried this before but wasn't the biggest fan. I don't know if it's W30 changing my tastebuds, a desire for flavor, or something else, but hey mamma this is working for me now. I make my coffee w/ a little bit of coconut milk and a healthy dash of cinnamon and I am LOVING it. Better than some silly ol' latte! I've never been interested in the syrups and things with coffees, but I was an evaporated milk fiend until I found out that I was probably lactose intolerant. Then it was trying a bazillion creamer-type things to replace 1/2 and 1/2 and the evap milk... all of them filled with preservatives, carrageenan and other crap. Now: 4 ingredients - water, coffee, coconut, cinnamon. WOOT!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always found cinnamon it *in* the coffee to be gritty and gross, hence putting it in the grounds when I brew. How do you cinnamon fans do it? What don't I know??

Me too. I am simply putting a sprinkle of finely ground cinnamon on the top of my cup, then mixing it in.

I think the fat in the coconut milk is helping it to mix. I think it's one of those spices that is fat soluble, not water soluble.  I clearly remember trying this both on top of the grounds (NOT good - maybe got too hot?) and on black coffee (cinnamon floated on top, ended up wearing 80% of it as a cinnamon mustache after the first two sips).

YMMV

Cinnamon is a bark, so it won't ever really dissolve in your brewed coffee. That's also why it always rises to the top of pumpking pie, french toast batter, etc.

Your best bet is to put it in with the grounds before you add the hot water, then the cinnamon "infuses" instead of dissolves.

Cinnamon is a bark, so it won't ever really dissolve in your brewed coffee. That's also why it always rises to the top of pumpking pie, french toast batter, etc.

Your best bet is to put it in with the grounds before you add the hot water, then the cinnamon "infuses" instead of dissolves.

This is what I did, back in the day (about 3wks ago! :P ) when I was a coffee drinker.... I use a bialetti moka pot, so I'd add some cinnamon bark, some cloves, and some freshly ground nutmeg to the 'filter/funnel' part, or I'd use my coffee grinder to grind all three & add the mix into the coffee grounds. Either way you get a good flavour and no grit.

This is what I did, back in the day (about 3wks ago! :P ) when I was a coffee drinker.... I use a bialetti moka pot, so I'd add some cinnamon bark, some cloves, and some freshly ground nutmeg to the 'filter/funnel' part, or I'd use my coffee grinder to grind all three & add the mix into the coffee grounds. Either way you get a good flavour and no grit.

holy fish livers, I am going to try that with all those spices. like chai coffee.

YUM

I gave up dairy in my coffee years ago but not the sweetener so going black was always a concern for me!  I've been on other food plans that said no sweetener and I just couldn't do it!

My light-bulb moment came when I was reading some info on the Whole30 - Melissa (I believe) said: "giving up cream or sugar is NOT hard! Cancer is hard; losing a loved one is hard!"  

That really put it in perspective for me!  I've been drinking my coffee black for 3 days now... it doesn't taste as good as before but I'm still getting my caffeine fix... giving up the caffeine is harder (for me) than giving up the sweetener!

Keep your eye on the prize... it's only 30 days and we can do this!

• 3 weeks later...

I really dislike sweet coffee..bleck! But I do enjoy a dash of heavy cream in my first cup of the day. So I use unsweetened coconut cream from the Asian market. A lot of the commercial coconut creamers (Trader Joes, So Delicious) add sugar probably to extend shelf life. My 2nd cup of the day I drink black. I have been doing that for months before the Whole30. I get the crave thing but if that is the case, you may as well give up coffee altogether!

I'm doing the exact same thing. 

Even before W30, I would drink the 2nd cup (at work) black - because they supply those "non-refrigerated half&half cups" or the dreaded white powder.  

I actually like the coconut cream better than the milk - mostly because the milk was Lactose Free (and tasted sweeter)

I remember having coffee in Mexico with cinnamon bark in the grounds and loving it. Tried it right away when I got back to the US and somehow had terrible indigestion.  Could also be a delayed Montezuma's Revenge, but haven't tried it this way since  :huh:

I have been lactose intolorent for as long as I remember but when I started drinking coffee I had vanilla soy lattes, this then turned to almond milk vanilla lattes when I learnt of the GMO's etc. in Soy, then during my first Whole30 I cut out Coffee entirely which was hard but I managed then when I went back to drinking coffee I dropped the vanilla syrup as Whole30 had adjusted my tolerance for sweetness, I am now back at almond milk latte with 1 raw or coconut sugar, but when I drink my coffee black I just pour it in (usually instant granules at home) then stir in a teaspoon of good quality coconut oil which takes away the bitterness without the need for sugars or milk, I can also just carry a container of this around in my handbag so I can still catch up with friends at any cafe any order a long black and stir in my coconut oil when it arrives at the table :)

I scrolled through all the posts so I can't remember who said it - but someone early on this thread said that if you go cold turkey on the cream/sugar and substitutes and just suck it up and drink it black, that you'll get used to it.

In my experience, this is true. I drank my coffee with cream and sugar for YEARS. I thought I could never go without it. I was wrong. Though I fell off the wagon in many other ways this past year (prior to current Whole 30), I have drank my coffee black consistently for a couple years now... and I truly prefer it that way now. So there is hope!

I seem to remember that for a time I did put coconut milk in it (the canned kind, which is compliant where the boxed kind is usually not). I think for some that it may be toeing the SWYPO line depending on context. Same with bulletproof coffee. For me it wasn't an issue (as I ended up converting to black anyway) but for others it might be.

Drinking good coffee is a really good idea. Good coffee tastes SOOO much better than not good coffee. (Hint: a popular coffee chain that has a store on every block in every city in the US is not good coffee. Consistent, yes, but way over-roasted and bitter.)

Cinammon sounds like a really good idea!

As far as qutting entirely as a solution to the cream and sugar problem.... for a DAILY coffee drinker I wouldn't recommend this. Now, quitting caffeine could be very beneficial, but I don't think it's necessarily the best idea to attempt this at the same time as a Whole 30, simply because for some people the physical withdrawal can make it really hard to function for several days. For me, going from a 2-3 cup habit to no coffee but still 1-2 cups of green tea resulted in 10 (yes, 10) full days of headaches, and I slept for about 11 hours the first few nights and was still exhausted. I did combine this with a Whole 30 and I do wonder if that made the whole thing that much worse. Having done Whole 30s without the caffeine withdrawal aspect, I know that the first week can be hard enough, so that's why I caution against the double-whammy (at least for those who have like... um... responsibilities and stuff).

I struggled with giving up my coffee cream during my first Whole 30 in 2013, but over time I've learned to love my black coffee.  Now I occasionally put a half tsp or so of coconut oil in it.  Some find that gross, I think it adds a little richness to my brew.

• 4 weeks later...

Sad news - if something is like crack to you you probably have a real emotional attachment to it and proooobably don't need it all that much. Good news - a lot of people managed just fine and there is not better time for you to try and give it up entirely. It's actually a no science miracle here. You will probably be so distracted by planning, shopping and cooking, that the absence of coffee will be less and less painful. As the energy (and hormones) will be balancing out, you will notice that it will become take it or leave it kind of deal. 

Before you roll your eyes at my lecture, I will tell you that I've spent a lot of very sad days trying to give up coffee because I was truly addicted to it (cream and sugar then just black). It took some time before coming to a place where 2 cups is an absolute max I can possibly want. I CAN have as many as I please, because I am giving myself permission to. I don't because Whole30 gives you one amazing thing - being in tune with what your body truly wants/needs. 

All this talk aside, buy a good quality coffee and a good quality coffee maker (AeroPress for example) if you can. Find the one that tastes great without the fat sugar covering the flaws of the roast. Go for darker and creamier blend. Go to the local coffee shop (coffee snob in me whispers that Starbucks is not a local establishment I am talking about) and talk to the barista. Let them know what flavor profile you are looking for and buy beans there. Make it a fun adventure.

If all else fails, coconut milk for the win.   

Thanks for your insight, Nadia. 

its pretty gross with no cream or sugar. my suggestion is to put ice cubes in it, and once its cold just gulp it down fast

Honestly, if you're gulping it down just to get the coffee fix I'd question your relationship with it and suggest you let it go..... don't use coffee as a crutch.

I don't see what the difference is? If you're drinking it, you're drinking it. If they are drinking it only for the taste, they might aswell drink decaf. But also I've actually cut way back on coffee, I only drink it if I have to wake up before I want to wake up and have a lot of things I need to do

Actually your CAR (Cortisol Awakening Response) should take care of this for you, so drinking coffee is counter-productive.

I'm just getting my ducks in a row and finishing the book and hope to start my w30 next week. But I'm finding that I'm terrified that I won;t be able to give up my morning cup of coffee with cream and sweet n low. I tried black coffee this morning and gagged. For some reason, this one thing, this one cup of coffee is like crack to me. And I like it creamy and sweet. Did others have trouble with this? Will the craving go away after a few days?

I wasn't talking to the OP, I was talking to you. In reference to your comments about "if you're drinking it, you're drinking it," and "you might as well drink decaf." I should have quoted you. I'm not sure how to do that on my phone, though.

Archived