homemade tacos or burger?

Milena_T

I'm having a hard time deciding where to draw the line with paleo-ifying junk food. I understand any type of paleo pancake is out but what about making tacos at home? or burgers? Using no cheese and lettuce instead of a bun or tortilla. Is this considered paleo-ifying junk food? Now that I think about it you can pretty much consider every single meal to be doing that. Help!

I was totally thinking about this today too! I saw a lasagna recipe on Foodee and I was like wait... but would that be paleofying a comfort food? Or are we just not allowed for "junk food" (I.e. ice cream, muffins, cookies, etc)?

I think this ^. I guess it's all a matter of personal judgement. If you have a Garfield type realtionship with lasagna maybe making a plaeo version wouldn't be such a good idea, but it's not like M&D are asking us "have nothing you actually like during your w30"

I think paleofying it would be if you made a hamburger bun using almond flour, or a taco shell substitute or lasagna noodles out of shitake or kelp. But if you're using eggplant for the lasagna or just eating the meat and veggies you would put in the tacos (which I've been doing a lot of!), those are all whole foods.

I think paleofying it would be if you made a hamburger bun using almond flour, or a taco shell substitute or lasagna noodles out of shitake or kelp. But if you're using eggplant for the lasagna or just eating the meat and veggies you would put in the tacos (which I've been doing a lot of!), those are all whole foods.

I totally agree with this. I use lettuce to make a burger or "taco" all the time. I don't feel I am imitating tortillas or burger buns because I am not making buns and tortillas with almond flour or however it's done. The lettuce I use is a whole food and it's really more like eating a burger salad or taco salad.

You can put all your taco ingredients (minus cheese/sour cream) on lettuce instead of a tortilla (including salsa for dressing), and that's a rockin' Whole30 meal. I also see nothing wrong with a burger wrapped in lettuce. It's the sides that can get tricky...no chips or fries.

Archived