My Very First Whole30!

BaconLegs

Today was not the best. It's the start of "lady times" so of course I'm absolutely RAVENOUS! Everything I ate was compliant, but I ate a LOT, and I'm STILL hungry!

Breakfast:

An Avocado

3 eggs

An apple

A Sweet Potato

Lunch:

About a palm of lemon chicken over a bed of spinach.

A small amount of roasted sweet potato (about 1/2 cup)

A small amount of broccoli with toasted almonds (about 1/2 cup)

Lots of water

Dinner: 

3 eggs

a pickle

About 4 cups of broccoli topped with ghee and salt

About 2 tbsp of coconut milk

That's just...that's so much food, and I'm still hungry. I might just make my self some tea.

Uhg. Day 18 complete.

This really isn't a lot of food - I eat more than this on a daily basis. If you're hungry eat more - maybe trying mixing up your proteins for meal three to help with the hunger? (ie. eggs AND meat/poultry/fish) Or just increase portion size to three cups of veg, two palm sized pieces of protein etc...

Also worth noting is that fruit in the morning can cause a spike in blood sugar for some, which when followed by the trough can lead to hunger - it's hard to recover from a bad start to the day.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you all so much for the replies. It doesn't look like a lot of food, but it felt like I was constantly eating.

It seems to be much better today though and I'm eating more.

Breakfast:

3 eggs

1 large sweet potato

Lunch:

2 palm sized pieces of chicken in a sun dried tomato coconut cream sauce and 2 cups of broccoli.

I love fruit but I'll print have it during the weekend when I'm not just sitting on my butt!

Today is my 8th day and I feel great. I am able to challenge myself a little more in my exercise class and feel stronger and happier. My mood has improved considerably and I feel like I am not under bondage to food right now.

My daughter wanted pancakes this am (she is an adult) and I told her I would make her eggs and onions or she could make the pancakes. Pancakes are a huge TRIGGER for me. Eggs and onions won out!!!!!!

I find I am not that interested in eating meat since I started the program. I want to eat veggies, I am obsessed with their beauty and taste. Yesterday I went to the Farmer's Market and purchased beautiful organic local veggies and fresh chicken eggs

Today marks day 20!

Yesterday I walked to this little russian store in my neighborhood to check out what things they had to offer, and I found out that they have sweet potatoes for 75c a pound and most of their apples were 99c/lb which is a steal here. I also bought some dried fruit there, but it's not like the usual dried fruit you see like dates, or apricots that have a weird candy feel to them. They were literally dried fruit, not very sweet, and extremely rubbery and hard to chew. Any moisture at all was sucked out of them with just the fibery bits left. They're interesting and I really like them. 

Breakfast:

4 eggs

2 cups broccoli with olive oil

an apple

Lunch: 

2 palms of chicken

a whole roasted sweet potato

a couple cups of baby spinach

Dinner:

Roasted chicken drumsticks with skin

2 cups of spinach (or however much is in a can)

a fist full of that dried fruit

a small hand full of unsalted, unroasted pumpkin seeds

I am on day 2 of this new diet. I'm feeling really hungry. I'm surprised to read how much protein you all have been putting in your diets. I thought it was 1-2 palms. 4 eggs seems like more than that, no? Please don't interpret this as judgment! I'm just trying to figure this out and definitely have not yet. I've been eating some fruit still too, but trying to cut down. I do eat a ton of vegetables, but I'm just really hungry still. 

Here are 2 products I wonder about:

Silk unsweetend almond milk. The questionable ingredients are guar gum and locust bean gum

Shirataki by House Foods. It's essentially yam noodle. Ingredients are water, yam flour, calcium hydroxide

Any thoughts appreciated!

• Moderators

I am on day 2 of this new diet. I'm feeling really hungry. I'm surprised to read how much protein you all have been putting in your diets. I thought it was 1-2 palms. 4 eggs seems like more than that, no? Please don't interpret this as judgment! I'm just trying to figure this out and definitely have not yet. I've been eating some fruit still too, but trying to cut down. I do eat a ton of vegetables, but I'm just really hungry still. 

Silk unsweetend almond milk. The questionable ingredients are guar gum and locust bean gum

Shirataki by House Foods. It's essentially yam noodle. Ingredients are water, yam flour, calcium hydroxide

For eggs, if they're your only protein in a meal, you should have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand.

You shouldn't be hungry. Your meals should keep you satisfied for 4-5 hours. If they don't, you probably need to add more to them.

Guar gum and locust bean gum are okay for Whole30. Double check the label and make sure there's no soy (could be listed as soy lecithin) or any sweeteners, those show up in a lot of commercial almond milks.

Shirataki noodles have been discussed on the forum before -- google Whole30 shirataki noodles for past discussions. The consensus is that they're not really your best choice. The Whole30 focuses on eating real, whole foods with minimal processing. For 30 days, set the shirataki noodles aside and have spaghetti squash or use a julienne cutter or spiralizer to make noodles out of zucchini, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, or other vegetables.

About the eggs, they're sometimes my only protein source, so I eat 4 or 5 at a time. Not to mention they're extremely inexpensive for the amount of protein your'e getting, so if I'm in a rush I'll grab a handful of eggs before I walk out the door to go to work.

I used to have insatiable hunger. I'm talking a grown man sized hunger, and eating 4 eggs really holds me down for 4 hours so they're my go to.

I am interested in your lemon tahini dressing ... where did you find the recipe ?   And I think you are doing great - you have come a long way from your first posts !   isn't amazing how much your meals have increased ?!!!    I have enjoyed reading your posts - love getting new ideas.

I am interested in your lemon tahini dressing ... where did you find the recipe ?   And I think you are doing great - you have come a long way from your first posts !   isn't amazing how much your meals have increased ?!!!    I have enjoyed reading your posts - love getting new ideas.

Thank you so much! The first week was hard because I just didn't know how much veggies I needed to buy, so I'd run out! Talk about frustrating! 

The tahini dressing is AMAZING. You can find it here. I put it on all my veggies, and any protein that needs a bit of "something". 

edit:

Couple thoughts I've had today. I was feeling a little down and weird because I'm definitely not experiencing "tiger blood" and I feel mostly the same...BUT while I'm not feeling like I can conquer the world, there have definitely been some improvements. 

1) I can say "No".

This is a big one. I'm not used to saying "no" when it comes to food. I'm not used to turning down chocolate, or the pastries my co workers brought in. But I say it now. For 20 days I've said "no" and for 10 more I'll continue to say "no", and for many days after that I'll know that I can say "no" if I don't think that a cookie is best for me right now. 

2) I've learned what keeps me full.

Also a huge one. Like I mentioned before, I have the appetite of a full grown man. I can eat and eat and eat, and continue on. Who knew 4 eggs and a bunch of veggies would stop me from wanting to eat so much. I like not being controlled by food any longer.

3) I'm sleeping better.

I get tired earlier. I use to sit up in bed and read for hours before I got tired. I'd be 2am before I finally put my book or phone down.

Now while sometimes I still go to bed at 1am, it's still a major improvement. I'm actually getting 7-8 hours of sleep instead of 5-6 and I'm sleeping much better.

So, no, it's not Tiger Blood, but it's good enough for me.

It's 8:30 AM and I'm up! This is a big one because pre-whole30, I'd be up at 11 or 12. What an improvement!

I just got my food delivery (God bless NYC. I don't have a car because I don't need one, and walking back and forth to get groceries is a major hassle. Ordering online and just having it delivered for a small fee is just nice).

This weeks grocery list was:

1 can of tomato sauce

1 spaghetti squash

3 zucchinis 

2 cans thai kitchen coconut milk

4 lbs ground turkey

2 lbs ground pork

3 lbs ground beef

Red wine vinegar 

30 eggs (for $4.30! Heck yeah!)

3 packages of Applegate Farms Hot Dogs (yessss! Excited to try these. I love hot dogs.)

5 16 oz bags of steamable broccoli

3 bags of frozen chopped onions

8 Avocados

I also have 4lbs of chicken breast,  a whole chicken, and a pork tenderloin plus 36 eggs from last week I hadn't boiled up yet. I I also have about 4 bags of frozen chopped zucchini in the freezer.

I think I'm pretty stocked up now :P

This weeks recipes will be as follows:

Golumbki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)

Turkey Burgers

Meatballs! Probably over zucchini noodles

Lemon Chicken Breast

Loooots of omelets and hard boiled eggs. Lots of steamed broccoli with spices. Hot dogs if I don't feel like preparing anything.

So that's my plan for these last 10 days.

Today is day 9, and I am eating fresh berries right now. I know the 30 Program does not like to focus on fruit, but I love it first thing in the am

My adult daughter, you know "the one who wanted the pancakes yesterday" told me this am that she did not see any difference in me. She said it looked like I had not lost any weight. I did not get upset as I may have before, I then told her it was about me feeling so much better, and not being a prisoner to unhealthy food. I am popping up in the am and sleeping better. I feel lighter and more confident

today I am going to make zoonoodles for the first time, will let you know

Today is day 9, and I am eating fresh berries right now. I know the 30 Program does not like to focus on fruit, but I love it first thing in the am

My adult daughter, you know "the one who wanted the pancakes yesterday" told me this am that she did not see any difference in me. She said it looked like I had not lost any weight. I did not get upset as I may have before, I then told her it was about me feeling so much better, and not being a prisoner to unhealthy food. I am popping up in the am and sleeping better. I feel lighter and more confident

today I am going to make zoonoodles for the first time, will let you know

Zucchini noodles are absolutely delicious! I'm sure you'll like 'em!

Even if you haven't lost any weight (I don't believe I have either. My body feels tighter, but things still fit the same) it's not about that. You're doing your body good eating the way you're eating on a whole30, so trust in that :)

In other news, the applegate farms hot dogs are amazing. Seriously, they're delicious and much better than the crap I used to buy. I think i'll get them from now on.

Ok, so I made the zoodles and used the recipe for the "Romesco" sauce in the Whole 30 book.  I went crazy, so fabola.  I changed the "romesco' up a little.I did not want to put vinegar in it and omitted the chili powder and paprika. Instead I added fresh basil and dried oregano. I wanted a more Italian like flavor,  A girl 's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do.

Loved, loved loved the zoodles.  I feel like a got my pasta jones off my back.

Happy Mother's Day, I am staying on my plan

Huh, can't quote because I'm on my phone but Jhalpern2, I'm so glad you liked the zoodles! They're easy to make and are such a good way to add veggies to any meal. Even sauted with some salt, garlic and ghee is easy and yummy. Happy mother's day! Glad you're staying on track :)

-------

In other news, today was a weird food day. Still all compliant but the food ratios were off the rails for sure. I've discovered that watermelon may be problematic.

Breakfast:

4 eggs and a can of spinach sauted in ghee.

An apple

Lunch:

4 Applegate hotdogs with compliant mustard

A can of beets, salted

A handful of died fruit. Most had large pits so it ended up not being much,really.

Dinner:

2 stuffed cabbage rolls

3 cups broccoli

Here's where it got funky-town. My mom ended up visiting for an early mother's day since she has to work on mother's day. In tow, she had a watermelon. I enjoy watermelon, but was never really weird about it. After dinner she sliced it up, a day I'm pretty sure I ate more than a quarter of a huge watermelon. It's not bothering my stomach but it seems like it's a food with no brakes item for me. I really packed it away.

Oh well, I guess I learned something new about myself today.

Good news, though! I walked about 6 miles around the park today, so that's good!

Day 22 complete!

Meal 1:

2 eggs

an avocado

1/3 of an apple

Should have eaten more veggies, but my mom was here and I got distracted. I was also not very hungry.

Meal 2:

Stuffed Cabbage

A can of beets with salt

Several slices of Watermelon

Meal 3:

4 Applegate hot dogs

another can of beets

A handful of pepitas

A handful of dried fruit

Gonna boil up some eggs for breakfast this week :)

Overall I feel good. Didn't walk as much as I liked today, but it was very hot and humid out.

My other adult daughter surprised me yesterday by flying home to be with me for Mother's Day.  The reason I bring this up is I  immediately thought of celebrating my happiness with binging on food.  It's the first time I had this feeling since I started the program 11 days ago.

In the past it would have been a food free for all.  It scares me just thinking about it.  Thank goodness I am committed to the program as I had planned a healthy delicious home cooked meal which we loved.  We later went over to my brother's house who has every kind of ice cream flavor available.  I'm talking "Ben and Jerry's" quality.  I was able to hang with everyone while they ate their "scream", which I felt like doing at one point.  "It was all good" in the end and I

am happy I did not succumb.

I did realize after yesterday how easy it could be for me to go off program, and like I said before it worries me

Today is my 11th day and it is Monday and I am looking forward to another beautiful week

Replying on my phone so sorry about any wonkiness.

Do day is day 23,we're really at the home stretch here, abd I found me thinking to my self how I could continue eating this way forever now that I have the meals down. I'd add in things that didn't bother my body, but really adhere to whole foods and no processed ones.

Anyway

Meal 1:

2 eggs

Half a bag of steamed broccoli

Half a can of beets

Half an avocado

Meal 2:

2 stuffed cabbage rolls (about 2 palms of meat)

Half a bag of steamed broccoli topped with lemon juice

Half an avocado

Meal 3:

4 Applegate hot dogs

Half a bag of broccoli topped with olive oil and lemon juice

• Moderators

I hope I'm replying in the right spot. Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to let the Shirataki yam noodles go. Glad I can still drink Silk almond milk. Am feeling stranded on a desert island.

I'm sorry you're feeling stranded -- let us know what you need help with, we'll see if we can get it sorted out for you.

I do want to say that sometimes you can start researching Whole30 recipes and advice, and sometimes it can seem complicated -- but it really shouldn't be. You don't need almond flour or coconut aminos or fish sauce or any of the other ingredients that show up in some recipes. At the very simplest, what you need in order to do a Whole30 successfully is to plan your meals according to the meal template, which basically means that three times a day, you need to come up with meals that look like this:

• 1-2 palm-sized pieces of protein (that's the length, width, and depth of your palm) -- any protein you like, fish, chicken, steak, ground meat, pork, game, eggs, whatever you like
  • 1-2 thumb-sized servings of fat, not counting what you cook in -- this could be in the form of oil, drizzled over your cooked vegetables (sesame oil is nice for this, but olive oil, either on its own or mixed with herbs and spices works), or a handful or two of olives or coconut flakes (unsweetened, unsulphured), or 1/2-1 whole avocado sliced or mashed into guacamole, or occasionally a handful of nuts or some nut butters (not peanut)
  • 1-3 cups of vegetables, more if they're raw leafy green vegetables because those are not very substantial and will not stay with you as well as denser, cooked vegetables will
  • Occasionally, once or twice a day, if you want some fruit, have it with a meal. Try not to think of it as a dessert, especially if you find you have a sugar dragon that keeps you craving sweet things, but especially if lots of fruit is in season where you are right now, it's okay to have some -- just make sure you get your veggies in too.

Finally, we do want you to enjoy your food, and we expect you to eat enough of it to nourish your body and have the energy you need to live your life. 

Hi wozniakSue,

I am sorry you feel stranded.  I promise it will pass.  I am finishing my 11th day. Just take each day, hour by hour.  there were times when I could only take it minute by minute.  the moderaror Shannon that posted before me is 100% correct.  Just keep it simple.  I change up the recipes and if I don't have a certain ingredient I just leave it out.  Just keep to the basic.  remember it only lasts for 30 days.

I am here with you in spirit.  There may come a time when I will need this group to throw me a lifeline. 

Hello Sue,

have you ever tried making your own almond milk from almond butter? Even though the product you described seems to be compliant I actually like the taste of selfmade almond milk a lot better than the taste of bought ones. And it's a lot cheaper as well, at least here in Germany. For the almond milk I boil about 500 ml of water and blend it with about 20g almond butter (of course compliant one that only contains almonds) and a dash of salt. You can also add some vanilla bean if you like. That's it and takes about 5 minutes. 

Day 24 done!

Breakfast:

4 eggs

half a bag of broccoli

Half of an Avocado

Lunch:

4 hot dogs

Rest of the broccoli

Rest of the avocado

Some blueberries, Strawberries and Kiwi

Dinner:

3 eggs

Half a bag of broccoli

3 slices of watermelon

a handful of pepitas

Pants are feeling looser, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm losing weight or if it's because my pants are stretched out :P

Today was my 13th day.  I was a little tired around 1:00 pm, but I think it was because I exercised real hard and did not eat enough before or after.  I saw pound cake last night at a friend's house and was a little nostalgic for it.

I miss the euphoria I get when I randomly, mindlessly eat.   That being said, I do love the way I feel about not being a slave to my food addiction.  I like the way I look now, I have more confidence.

Day 25 complete.

I seem to have an allergic reaction to something. I have what look like goosebumps all over my face and neck, and scaly patches around my eyes. It's been like this for 2 days now, and I think it may be from a perfume my mom gave me. I don't think any food would do this to me, and I've never had an allergic reaction before. With that said, I had to buy benedryl. I'm not sure if it's whole30 or not, but it had to be done.

Breakfast:

4 eggs

broccoli

mixed fruit

Lunch:

4 hot dogs

a can of beets

mixed fruit

Dinner:

5 meatballs over zoodles (one zucchini)

a slice of watermelon

Too much fruit, but I feel okay. Gonna lay off the fruit tomorrow. It's been hot here, so the fruit has been refreshing. 

I've also been trying to get more walking in and actually wearing my fitbit. I'm averaging at about 7k a day :)

Archived