I eat pretty much anything I want at this point. The only thing that gives me problems is too much sugar at once. I have some restriction still, and have to eat slowly and chew well. I'm actually thinking the Whole30 plan would be exactly what I should be doing post-bypass! I was just curious if others had tried it.

There's no dairy, legumes, wheat or other grains like corn, rye, barley, no soybeans.   No smoothies or green drinks.

If you can eat proteins, vegetables (cooked is preferred), good dietary fats, fruits...you can do this.  Can you eat things like avocado, clarified butter, olive oil, macadamia nut oil, lard, bacon?

• Moderators

There have definitely been people who have done Whole30 after weight loss surgery -- google Whole30 weight loss surgery to pull up old discussions if you want to read more, or someone may pop in here with more information.

In general, there's no reason why you shouldn't do a Whole30 if you can eat meat, vegetables, and healthy fats, although you will probably have to ignore the usual instruction to eat three meals a day, no snacks, as you probably can't eat as much at one meal as someone who hasn't had the surgery. If that's the case for you, you'll need to make sure that, however many meals you need to eat a day, they consist of a mix of protein, vegetable, and fat, with occasional servings of fruit with your meal. You'll also want to ensure that over the course of a day, you eat at least the equivalent of three minimum-sized template meals (one template meal would be 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized servings of fat, and 2-3 cups of vegetables). 

In other words, if what you can comfortably eat at a meal is 1/2 a palm-sized serving of protein, 1/2 a thumb sized serving of fat, and 1-2 cups of vegetables, you'd need to eat six times a day to be sure you met at least the minimum amount of food you need. Make sense? If you can eat more, that's fine too, I'm just basing that on the fact that most people who do have wls usually can't eat full-sized meals at one time, but as an adult human being, you still need to be sure you get enough food throughout the day.

• 1 month later...

There have definitely been people who have done Whole30 after weight loss surgery -- google Whole30 weight loss surgery to pull up old discussions if you want to read more, or someone may pop in here with more information.

In general, there's no reason why you shouldn't do a Whole30 if you can eat meat, vegetables, and healthy fats, although you will probably have to ignore the usual instruction to eat three meals a day, no snacks, as you probably can't eat as much at one meal as someone who hasn't had the surgery. If that's the case for you, you'll need to make sure that, however many meals you need to eat a day, they consist of a mix of protein, vegetable, and fat, with occasional servings of fruit with your meal. You'll also want to ensure that over the course of a day, you eat at least the equivalent of three minimum-sized template meals (one template meal would be 1-2 palm-sized servings of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized servings of fat, and 2-3 cups of vegetables). 

In other words, if what you can comfortably eat at a meal is 1/2 a palm-sized serving of protein, 1/2 a thumb sized serving of fat, and 1-2 cups of vegetables, you'd need to eat six times a day to be sure you met at least the minimum amount of food you need. Make sense? If you can eat more, that's fine too, I'm just basing that on the fact that most people who do have wls usually can't eat full-sized meals at one time, but as an adult human being, you still need to be sure you get enough food throughout the day.

For some reason I've missed the template meal size, and I've just had a little mini freak out!  I am 5 years post lap band surgery and can NO WAY eat that much volume of food at a time, or throughout the day. I need freedom and detox from protein drinks, carbs and sugar (those go down very well of course) and need to find my way back to "normal" food.  Oh my gosh...I can barely choke down 1/2 of an egg and maybe 2 strawberries before I feel like I could barf.  I haven't had my band adjusted in 4 years and I know I've gained 20 pounds back due to how I have to eat (toooooo much sugar!!!).  I'm super frustrated at this moment. Waaaah!!!! 

For some reason I've missed the template meal size, and I've just had a little mini freak out!  I am 5 years post lap band surgery and can NO WAY eat that much volume of food at a time, or throughout the day. I need freedom and detox from protein drinks, carbs and sugar (those go down very well of course) and need to find my way back to "normal" food.  Oh my gosh...I can barely choke down 1/2 of an egg and maybe 2 strawberries before I feel like I could barf.  I haven't had my band adjusted in 4 years and I know I've gained 20 pounds back due to how I have to eat (toooooo much sugar!!!).  I'm super frustrated at this moment. Waaaah!!!! 

In your case, do not worry about eating a full template meal in one sitting. You may need to take the template amounts for three meals a day and divide that food up in six meals. It's fine. Just remember that a meal is protein, fat, and veggies.

You might, for instance, fix up a full template meal, eat as much of it as is reasonable for you to eat, wrap it up and put it away, and pull it out again to finish (or just eat more of) later. At each sitting, eat items from the protein, fat, and veggies sections of your plate. Once that meal is done, make another, and do the same, and then one more, and do the same.

You may discover that you are eating many mini-meals, but over the course of a day you are still eating the same amount of food as other folks would consume in three meals. Again, this is fine.

If you can eat half an egg and a strawberry, then aim for half an egg and a small portion of sweet potato. Then finish the egg and eat more sweet potato later, and so on and so forth.

Hope that helps, let us know if we can give you more information about Whole30 eating in general or with weight loss surgery.

• Moderators

If you truly cannot eat that much food, then you work with what you can eat. Over time, you may find you can eat more.

For now, eat what you can, and when you do eat, make sure you eat a combination of protein, fat, and vegetables. I'd mostly skip the fruit, since vegetables are more nutrient-dense, and if you can't eat as much food, you need to make sure all the food you do eat gets you the maximum amount of the nutrients you need. I'm not saying never eat fruit again, but definitely limit it. I also think that limiting the fruit will help you kick that sugar addiction faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you 'have to eat' sugar?

I know with the bypass, sleeve or band the protein drinks etc are full of sugar. I had the sleeve done and it has been 8 years. i have had to drink the sugary protein and carb drinks for the first year. after that I was able to eat more at a meal. I can now eat most of what a normal person eats. hence why I have gained weight back. The nuturtionst at the gastic center 8 years ago didnt mention this. but I have found that the bypass etc only last for a specific amount of years. if we dont change the way we eat we go right back to what it was we were eating before thinking the bypass will keep us losing weight or maintain. It does not.

I know with the bypass, sleeve or band the protein drinks etc are full of sugar. I had the sleeve done and it has been 8 years. i have had to drink the sugary protein and carb drinks for the first year. after that I was able to eat more at a meal. I can now eat most of what a normal person eats. hence why I have gained weight back. The nuturtionst at the gastic center 8 years ago didnt mention this. but I have found that the bypass etc only last for a specific amount of years. if we dont change the way we eat we go right back to what it was we were eating before thinking the bypass will keep us losing weight or maintain. It does not.

DreamWeavers - I now have 4 relatives with a gastric bypass and not the sleeve. Another one had the surgery this May.  Two have gained everything back.  It did take 10 years.  You are correct, I don't  know if they tell them that the body will adapt to food again.   

I am 10 years post-RNY and lost a great deal of weight, most of which I have managed to keep off.  I did have that 20% regain the doctor warned me about, and I really want to get off.  But, I have found that it is MUCH harder to lose weight post bypass than pre.  

I did my first complete W30 last October and it was great.  I have found that my body responds extremely well to eating paleo, it is just keeping it up!  I am starting my next W30 July 1st, and hope to use it to transition to a permanent change in eating lifestyle.  I have seen others in my life do it successfully, so I am highly inspired.

• 11 months later...

I'm on day 7 of my first W30 and had gastric bypass in December 2012. Lost about 90 lbs but still addicted to sugar, which is the main reason for me doing W30.  Been going to Curves all along and started cooking more to more control what I eat.  :rolleyes:

• 8 months later...

Thanks for the info here! I'm 14 years post RNY WLS. I have experienced yo-yoing weight gain/loss since about 5 years post surgery. I'm on day 4 of my first Whole30 attempt and doing well. I do have to eat more often than the 3-meals-a-day template just because my stomach is still smaller than normal. (Possible TMI ALERT ahead) The food changes have affected my digestion and bowel movements. I was wondering if anyone else on Whole30 and post RNY had any input as far as their experiences? Does it stay this way? About what day do you see changes, if any? Any feedback is welcomed! 

On 6/22/2015 at 2:26 PM, galny said:

I am 10 years post-RNY and lost a great deal of weight, most of which I have managed to keep off.  I did have that 20% regain the doctor warned me about, and I really want to get off.  But, I have found that it is MUCH harder to lose weight post bypass than pre.  

I did my first complete W30 last October and it was great.  I have found that my body responds extremely well to eating paleo, it is just keeping it up!  I am starting my next W30 July 1st, and hope to use it to transition to a permanent change in eating lifestyle.  I have seen others in my life do it successfully, so I am highly inspired.

Hi! Any tips for fellow RNY Whole30ers??

• 10 months later...

Just started today. Had surgery 2003. Minus cutting dairy, this is pretty much how we are supposed to eat so I'm looking forward to getting back on track. I have found that once I start eating how I'm supposed to the weight comes back off. The tool we were given continues to work. Anyone else still active here?

• 7 months later...
On 6/12/2015 at 7:09 PM, dreamweavers3621 said:

I had bypass - and the protein shakes/drinks i had were not full of sugar!  I am planning to start WHOLE30 very soon and believe the portion sizes will be the most difficult - I know I have been eating things that I should not be eating and want this to "jump start" me back to where I need to be - I am 3 years out of RNY and have lost 80lbs and don't wanna go back!!!!

• Moderators
5 hours ago, kfs1011 said:

the portion sizes will be the most difficult

Remember that the portion sizes on the meal template are designed for most people, but there are people that they just don't work for. Many people who have had weight loss surgery fall into that group they don't work for. If you need smaller servings or to eat more times a day, that is fine. Do what you have to do to make this work for you, concentrating on eating combinations of protein, fat, and veggies each time you eat, just adjust the serving size to what works for you.

Archived