Prenatal Vitamin causing extreme exhaustion?

Okay, to start off with, I am not pregnant yet. My husband and I are about to try and I made the mistake of taking the pre-natal vitamins I can get at my pharmacy (I'm military so it's free to use) and they prescribed Major brand prenatal vitamins. They put the prescription label over all information on the bottle but I still figured I'd give it a try.

I had been on doxycycline for 2 weeks up until yesterday because I'd contracted endometritis (low-grade infection in my uterus' lining after my unsuccessful polypectomy that was discovered during my uteral polypectomy). I'm off of it and my doctor has told me I'm okay to start trying to conceive now. I'm just now on the downward slope of the end of my cycle, so I'm past cramp/nausea/exhaustion time...so it can't be that.

I took my first prenatal at breakfast along with my FCLO, probiotics, magnesium, and kombucha (breakfast itself was bacon, eggs, homemade hashbrowns, and applesauce). My first thought was "why on earth did they dye these stupid things pink? Is it somehow less womanly to take a white vitamin pill?" but I went with it.

By lunchtime I was EXHAUSTED. I'm constantly yawning at work even though I slept fine last night and woke up without an alarm this morning. My lunch was roast beef, roasted beets, full fat cheese (I'm not on a Whole 30 and eat cheese almost daily with no ill effects up until now), and a few clean potato chips (potato, oil, salt; again, these are an item I allow myself and have never had issues with). Oh, and a fruit smoothie (2 bananas, frozen fruit, coconut milk). Everything I ate today is something that I've eaten before, nothing new.

Has anyone had issues with cheap pre-natal vitamins causing exhaustion like this?

My experience with artificial colors is their correlation with hyperactivity and/or attention/behavioral issues--basically the opposite of what you're describing. Was this the first item that you've had with an artificial dye?

When you say you're at the end of your cycle, do you mean you're finishing up the menstrual portion? Usually, your period is labeled as "cycle start" so the end of your cycle would fall during PMS time right before your next menstrual period starts. Where exactly are you in your menstrual cycle?

Munkers - hmm, I guess I misspoke. I was just coming off of my period itself, so I guess in the first week of my cycle?

The tiredness is a tiny bit better now but I'm still just more tired than before I took it, which is funny because my doctor was all "taking this will probably give you tons of energy and make your hair and nails grow like crazy."

• 3 weeks later...

Was going to post this in 'The Crazy Things People Say" but decided it'd fit better here.

I was discussing with a friend how I'm trying to get my hormones on track to have a baby and I'm using diet to do it. The conversation was going great, she had a few suggestions (she's a fellow natural living person, but by no means ever going to Whole 30 - sprouted/soaked home ground grains, full fat raw dairy, and non-cane sugar sweeteners are how she does it)...but then chimed in with this:

"No more birth control pills, k?"

Um...really? Do you really think I'm so dumb that I'm trying to have a baby while taking birth control pills? Really?

• Administrators

"No more birth control pills, k?"

Um...really? Do you really think I'm so dumb that I'm trying to have a baby while taking birth control pills? Really?

LOL, omg, I nearly spit my tea.  LOL!  

Archived