Social Eater

Lissa Kristine

Once every few weeks- or sometimes a couple times a week- my friends and I like to go out for a bite to eat after church activities. Sometimes, we head out for dinner. Other times, it's just for frozen yogurt.

I'm looking to make somewhat of a restaurant guide so I know what my SAFEST options are. I figure for the self-serve froyo, I can get a little cup with fruit and nuts. Qdoba, I'll go for the pulled pork naked taco salad with salsa verde and a bit of guacamole.

If I go to IHOP, I can order my omelette without cheese and pancake batter- or just request more of a deconstructed omelette (over-hard eggs cooked without butter/oil with the omelette veggies on the side).

But I need some suggestions for Fridays/ Applebees/ Chili's. What about a typical New Jersey diner? I'd rather not go with the $19 steak entrees (with their soggy, lukewarm steamed mush that was once crisp, fresh, green vegetables in a former life), etc at the diner, but I also want more options than just breakfast for dinner- though, I'm not completely opposed to ordering some kind of steak and eggs combo with a side of fresh fruit. Most places, I found, will swap similar items on on the menu: carb for carb, but I'd be willing to pay a little upcharge to swap out the fries and/or toast, etc for fruit. Even IHOP lets me change out the hash browns for fruit, and nowadays several options come with either the choice between 3 pancakes or fruit; or hash browns or fruit.

Suggestions for other popular chains on the East Coast are appreciated as well. I figure, if I can get started with ideas, I'll be able to figure things out when I'm faced with places that I didn't think about initially.

Look up the chain's menu on their website. I usually do some research before I decide if I will eat anywhere. I don't trust restaurants, so I stick to dry grilled meat on a salad. It's a lot harder for them to sneak stuff into raw veggies and I find that most places won't mess up their steaks too much. Just be sure to ask about marinades and butter as they put that on about everything.

Archived