Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

I'm doing it, starting May 1. I've done one and 3/4 W30s and this is my third. Thanks to Ladyshanny and Meadowlilly for coaxing me into doing this again in May. These forums really help. Whole 30 has done wonders for my gut and wellbeing in general.. If you're thinking of doing a W30 in May, take the plunge, make the commitment and join me! 

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello stranger! Yes, count me in. I haven't stopped since the last group we were in. I have actually lost track of days. I am still battling with dome aches and pains. I believe due to menopause. Otherwise I feel great and have no desire to add anything. I still need the support and accountability.

Did you reintroduce any foods? And if so, how did it go?

I'm going to start on the 4th.  I did a Whole100 from Jan 1 to Apr 10.  I've ate mostly on plan with a few off items here and there.  I definitely notice a change in the way I feel when I eat off plan foods.  I have a family party this Sunday so I'm going to start first thing Monday eating about 90% W30 until then.

I've still got a long way to go to get a healthy relationship with food so I will probably be doing a W30 every other month or so.

I've lost 50 lbs since last August only doing W30.  I started running towards the end of my W100 which helped me drop some weight fast.  I've never been a runner but I actually love it.

Yay! Hi Pyrotech! And nice to meet you, Wholemama and Hbom

Pyrotech, re reintro: It was sporadic and not as contained as I would have liked. There were three events (two birthdays and friends visiting) where I just ate whatever for one meal and had a couple glasses wine. Not a huge reaction except for one finger joint swelling up (!). And my SIBO gut did bloat and hurt a little, which was to be expected.Old cheese in moderation was OK - I don't eat a ton of dairy anyhow, but do enjoy old cheeses that are SIBO compliant.

At first I thought peanutbutter was OK but now when I eat it, my tummy bloats and hurts. I've read that peanut butter isn't good for SIBO so no more of that.

My 24 hour yogurt is good when I eat it in moderation, which is a challenge since I can graze on yogurt. Am setting very clear boundaries with yogurt when I'm off W30 -  eating the doc recommended 2 cups a day and no more.

Am LOVING my homemade kombucha and am so glad it's W30 compliant.

I'm planning my meals this week for starting this Friday, May 1. Am actually looking forward to it!

I'd also like to start a more regular exercise regimen like hbom. Maybe try trotting again. :)

Hello Heather and Wholemama!!

I am looking forward to this!! Being involved in an active group helps!! When we start on May 1st, it will not be day 1 for me. Honestly, I don't know what day it is. I finished a whole 30 and am just keeping this as my way of eating. I am not missing any of the other foods, so why introduce them!!! I only lost about 3 pounds since March. However, I am more concerned with becoming healthy so I can enjoy activity and life again!!!I live a very active lifestyle and had to pass on so much due to body weight,pains, aches, etc...As I am feeling stronger and have less pain, the go around I plan on adding more workouts. I have started, but very slow!! I feel the weight will eventually come off.  I used to eat 2 pieces of fruit with M1 and M2. This time around I am keeping an eye on the amount of sugar intake from fruits, vegetables, potatoes, etc....

Have a healthy and active day, Debbie

I did a whole30 in May of 2013 a few months before my wedding. I only lost 4 lbs. I was pretty bummed, but I do want to focus on being healthier more than weight loss. I have thyroid issues and the weight just doesn't fall off of me. I've tried to do AIP several times, and only made it a week before getting upset. It's just so restrictive. So I'm going to start with the whole30 and see how I feel. Of course day2, we are going into the city and going to meet a family member and see a movie. My husband wants to go to dinner, and I'm massively dreading it. Hoping I can order a steak or a piece of fish with nothing on it, and some steamed veggies. My husband is a bad influence and refuses to do this with me. It'd really help if he'd try!

Anyone get the new W30 book yet? I'm tempted, but another part of me says I have enough info and do not need another book. 

Getting kitchen ready for W30. Gave away my peanut butter already. Also made too much yogurt and won't be able to eat it all by Friday. Will have to give some away to housemates who will love me for it. :) I will miss my yogurt and also my paleo bread, made with coconut flour and crushed macadamia nuts. 

New kombucha batch almost ready. Need to get more bottles. :) :)

Made stuffed dover sole last night with bacon and rainbow chard. SO GOOD, so easy and definitely W30. Going to use that one often.

Have a good day everyone!

• Administrators

I will miss my yogurt and also my paleo bread, made with coconut flour and crushed macadamia nuts. 

Nuts and coconut can be gut disruptive and for someone who already has enough gut issues, you might want to stay pretty far away from these products, even when not on a Whole30.  On a personal note, I've found that even when I make a paleo "bread" that my body responds to it the same way as it would to regular bread and I a) feel horrible and B) ignite my sugar/carb dragon.

PS WholeMama just wanted to say I did read that the W30 book has a whole section on how to do a W30 when everyone else in your fam is not. :) It is an opportunity to focus on our own selves and needs. And it's perfectly ok to ask them to not offer you foods they know you can't have.

Also there are some scrumptious recipes that the whole fam would love that are W30.

Also, it's challenging but not impossible to eat a tasty W30 meal out. Tell them you can't have soy. Steak, potato and veggies are all W30. Ghee is also W30 approved and I know it sounds weird, but why not bring some if you want it on your potato?  Sweet potato is a good option as well over white potato and usually served baked in wedges they call "fries". ;) I'd call them baked sweet potato wedges to make it wholly W30 compliant. 

Hey ladyShanny! Ah yes, another good note to make for reintro.

After W30, I'll reintro paleo bread. Should probably reintro just mac nuts first and coconut flour next before putting them tog. Honestly, my gut doesn't react to the bread - it DOES react to almond flour, but not coconut flour. That said, I've never done an actual reintro with nuts and coconut flour so will do that in June. I'm starting a reintro list today - already planning reintro! Hah. 

• Administrators

Should probably reintro just mac nuts first and coconut flour next before putting them tog. 

Mac nuts give me the Big D two days after eating them. Like clockwork.  Don't discount longer reaction times. ;)

Mac nuts give me the Big D two days after eating them. Like clockwork.  Don't discount longer reaction times. ;)

Aw man, ladyshanny, that's a bummer. I LOVE mac nuts so that's hard to hear. I know about delayed reactions. Cashews do that to me and sometimes almonds if I overeat them.

Problem with SIBO is enjoying the occasional wine or drink or almost any fruit (strawberries seem to be ok) or high-carb anything - no sweet potato and just a small amount of squash. But I do know some nuts  can cause a delayed reaction. Maybe will just cut out nuts altog for May. That will be hard. Must be realistic.. Was thinking keep the mac nuts down to twice a week tops. 

It's not the first time doing a whole30 alone! It's what makes it 10x harder. I wish hubs would just try it once. He could really benefit. He's got chronic pre-hypertension, and his resting heart rate is really high. He's also a bit overweight. He just won't give up beer for 30 days. It's so silly. He barely drinks! I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't had a drink in close to 3 years, so it doesn't bother me at all.

I will do my best to find a good meal while we are in the city. I'm hoping I can load up with lunch first, and then maybe not even need food while we are there, but we will be gone a good part of the day, so that might not work.

We plan on getting up super early on Saturday morning and going to our local farmer's market to stock up on CHEAP produce. I am also going to get some ghee this weekend, but I'd love to experiment with making my own.

This week I'm sort of prepping my body and I've been eating as paleo as I can. yesterday was mostly eggs, meat, veggies and one piece of fruit with some almond butter. No point in TRYING to eat like crap until the whole30 approaches.

I'm starting May 2nd - and this is my first time, but I've been easing myself into it, so it's not too much of a shock on Saturday :)

My husband isn't doing it, but he is thankfully very supportive of me, and will be happy to eat what I'm eating (well apart from certain vegetables...) so long as he can add on some cheese and rice when he wants it.

I have the new book, but as I haven't read 'It Starts With Food', I can't compare them.

OK I've decided.

Upon thinking about it and hearing my little inner 9-year-old lament over having to give up everything, "....but I like nuuuuuuts I don't want to give up macadamia nuts tooooo I can't have anythiiiiiing..." I gave her a big HUG, and decided with a firm and gentle resolve to give up all nuts during this Whole 30.

I relied on nuts throughout my first two W30s. I experienced diarrhea through much of the first and some of the second W30. Interesting - I ate fewer nuts second time around. 

So Thank you again, ladyshanny for your tough-loving right-on insights. 

The only coconut I'll be doing is the oil at times for cooking and occasional Americano (weekends only). 

I might have to skip the nuts too, which is a bummer! I have celiac disease, and have always had issues with nuts! I always thought it was cross contamination issues, because some brand of nuts don't bother me at all. They are great fat! I mostly love cashews. YUM. So I don't know if i'll buy any or not. They are pretty pricey, so that could be a cost I could avoid.

I just had my lunch and BOY am I full! I don't think in the beginning I'm going to be able to eat all of the meal templates, I may have to work up to it!

I had a salad (baby spinach, a few cherry tomatoes, some celery, broccoli, and carrots) topped with a cup of browned ground beef, topped with olive oil and a dash of salt. I also ate a can of canned carrots. SO. FULL.

Hi all,

I'm starting tomorrow. Well, technically I'm restarting tomorrow as my first day today didn't really go as planned. I had a great breakfast with bone broth containing two poached eggs. Got into the car to go to work and as a reflex reached out for the pack of sugarfree chewing gum and happily chewed for 5 minutes until it dawned on me, that aspartame and generally artificially sweetened gum probably really wasn't part of the plan I had for the next 30 days :D .

Hopefully tomorrow will go a little better. Definitely getting rid of the gum in my car! 

Hi I all, 

I am starting as well on May 1st! It will be my third whole 30. My prior attempt at a third whole30 was unsuccessful and I quit on day 11, after which I have found it incredibly hard to get back on track. Meals at home are always whole30 compliant since I have grown to love cooking that way, but I have found myself mindlessly reaching for bread while at work or at restaurants.. and occasionally sweets and sugar cookies. 

I have learned that 1) my sugar dragon was not killed by my prior whole 30s, 2) there is no middle ground for me, and I still do not know how to successfully off-road, and 3) planning and more planning is the most important part. For these reasons I have decided that this time it will be a whole60. 

Hi I all, 

I am starting as well on May 1st! It will be my third whole 30. My prior attempt at a third whole30 was unsuccessful and I quit on day 11, after which I have found it incredibly hard to get back on track. Meals at home are always whole30 compliant since I have grown to love cooking that way, but I have found myself mindlessly reaching for bread while at work or at restaurants.. and occasionally sweets and sugar cookies. 

I have learned that 1) my sugar dragon was not killed by my prior whole 30s, 2) there is no middle ground for me, and I still do not know how to successfully off-road, and 3) planning and more planning is the most important part. For these reasons I have decided that this time it will be a whole60. 

I am the same way!!! 30 days is JUST the point where I start feeling in control.. I'm aiming for a whole60-90.

So tomorrow is the day! Is everyone prepared? I am going to the store tonight for a small trip to hold me over until our real grocery trip on Sunday. I'm already looking forward to my sweets and eggs for Meal1 . Think I'm also going to throw some roasted Brussel sprouts in with that!

Will be starting a W30 on Monday! Hoping for some support. Have tried paleo a few times and made it 3 weeks each time before giving in. Got about 2 weeks in on a W30 back in the fall. I find it very difficult to stick with it without my wife's support. However, we are both on day 5 of the 7 day clean eating challenge from Daily Hiit blog and hoping I can convince her to try the W30.

Has anyone hear tried to kick smoking at the same time as starting a W30?

Yes! Starting tomorrow, May 1st.  My birthday is May 31st so giving myself a month-long present.  I have been eating this way on and off for the past couple months but ready to stick with it for 30 days to really see and feel the difference.  Sugar is my biggest problem but I know that starving that dragon is the way to go.  SO happy to be starting with a group, have fun everybody!

Archived