Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Welcome, HappyYogini! Glad you're here. That squash recipe looks delicious and I learned something new: I'd never heard of Ras el Hanout before today!

----

I felt the need to check in this morning because I'm not feeling the results to the level I was expecting -- and while I can be patient for the results, I also recognize that there are ways I could improve my experience. Here's what I'm noticing:

• I know that lack of sleep is an issue. My toddler is still challenged to sleep through the night for various reasons (growth spurts, teething, pain from a recent injury.) I am looking at things I can do to ease/alleviate some of these wakings but at some point I may just have to work around them: really commit to getting to bed earlier (lights out by 9pm), allowing myself to sleep in (even though I desperately want that morning time to myself), and committing to afternoon naps.

• Coffee. I've cut down to about 1 small cup a day. I've talked about weaning. I'm reluctant to give it up, I love it so. (Excited to learn that I even love it sans cream!) But I'm noticing that I'm having a hard time falling asleep at night. So... yeah.

• Snacking: I was more committed to no snacking the first week -- and I think I need to recommit. I'm seeing myself head down a slippery slope with the fruits and nuts.

• Onions and uncooked leafy greens: both seem to negatively affect my digestion and my mood. The onion thing makes me really sad. I'm going to experiment next week and take both out of my diet, just to see what's up there. With the onions, I started to think that maybe it would benefit me to try low-FODMAP, but then some of the other low-FODMAP foods don't seem to cause any problems for me. Thoughts?

• I've been really enjoying my new fitness routine, but I may need to dial it back for a bit while I rest up and recover. I really don't want to because I LOVE it so much! 

These are tough for me because there is a childish part of me that wants to say: "This isn't fair! Look at all I'm doing for myself already! Do I really have to give up more?! Do I really have to make more changes?!" And at the same time I know that if it's about feeling good, having vibrant health and sustained energy -- well, why wouldn't I do everything in my power to create that for myself?

You'll notice I've committed to very little in this post. For now, I'm just looking at my options and making the decision to change my mindset around giving some of these up. It's been in the back of my mind that this will likely turn into a Whole 60 or Whole 90, even (knowing that there's a lot of healing to do) so I may just allow myself to implement some of these other changes slowly.

• Eliminating onions and uncooked greens feels easy because they make me feel so crappy.

• Getting more sleep feels like it may be a challenge at first, and I know that it's probably the highest leverage change I can make.

• Eliminating caffeine is probably going to be required to really get my sleep on track.

• And backing off on the exercise (especially my dance/cardio) is going to be necessary (I think) for at least a short while while my energy adjusts to more sleep and less caffeine.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just joined the community today and found this thread to follow! This is my first Whole30, I started May 1st after (while) reading It Starts with Food.

My actual The Whole30 book arrived via fedex yesterday. Just saying hello and glad I found you before going back to read the entire thread to catch up :)

I'm not feeling the results to the level I was expecting.....

• Eliminating onions and uncooked greens feels easy because they make me feel so crappy.

• Getting more sleep feels like it may be a challenge at first, and I know that it's probably the highest leverage change I can make.

• Eliminating caffeine is probably going to be required to really get my sleep on track.

• And backing off on the exercise (especially my dance/cardio) is going to be necessary (I think) for at least a short while while my energy adjusts to more sleep and less caffeine.

Alaya, I have been feeling the same about results.  It's not that I want to lose weight, but my results were so dramatic the last two times I did this, I guess I was thinking it would be dramatic this time too.  Definitely not the case.  I am feeling good most of the time, still have the occasional cranky phases, and even sometimes wish this would be over because something sounds appealing, but it hasn't been hard to stick with it.  When I read your post about onions and greens making you feel crappy, it reminded me when I did W30 last spring, and felt sick all the time.  I tried the Auto Immune Protocol, because it seemed to fit with my symptoms more than FODMAP.  I eliminated nightshades and a bunch of other things (don't remember them all right now).  Eventually I felt better and could re-introduce things like onions and peppers and tomatoes.  I hope you feel better!  And it sounds like you nailed it about caffeine / sleep.  I gave up caffeine years - decades - ago, and I LOVE coffee! 

So tomorrow I head off to the bridal shower.  I am really dragging my feet on this, probably because 1) it's 2 hours away, 2) I don't want to be around all the party food, 3) I don't think I'll know very many people, and 4) it will take one entire weekend day, leaving me only Sunday to do things I want to do, including relax.  Bah.  I'm sure I'll post tomorrow if I bail on it.

I pulled a spicy veal burger out of the freezer and had that with steamed brussels sprouts and ghee, and roasted parsnips and rutabaga.  And I had a late afternoon Kombucha.  Just set up a new batch this evening, and counted my scobys.  I have 5 large ones and 3 small ones.  I moved all but one into my new Scoby Hotel ;-)

lori_vt: Yes. I hate the idea of eliminating more foods (I have some questions about eggs and nightshades, too.) but hate the idea of my diet becoming even more restrictive! The fact that you've been able to reintroduce some foods give me more hope. I'll be curious to hear about what you decide about the bridal shower. I've been finding myself saying "no" to more and more events like that. (Not because of the Whole 30.) It's so hard to feel like you're disappointing someone, but if you're not feeling it...

----

I realize I forgot to post what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast:

4 egg scramble w/

salad greens

fresh garlic

salt, pepper, pimenton, italian seasoning

cup black coffee

SnackI crashed really hard before lunch, hence the less than ideal snack. After lunch I took a quick power nap, which helped.

banana

almond butter packet

Lunch

Salmon filet

Leftover kale salad w/

carrots, beets, raisins, avocado,

lemon juice, olive oil

Sw potato rounds

Dinner:

thai beef skillet:

ground beef

zucchini & carrot ribbons

yellow bell pepper

coconut aminos

garlic

Hi All

Whatever I had week before last reared it's little head again and I've been down for the count today. Sleeping mostly, watching Netflix, and eating very little. I used ibuprofen to keep going through work thurs/friday. Today is saturday and at least I can stay in bed and hopefully kick this thing for good. Staying off over counter meds and just sleeping a lot. It feels like it's weining but still headachy and skin aches.  There is something really nastymean going around - this is the sickest I've been in a long while.

Sorry. I feel so wimpy. That said, I did a search on nursing a bug while on Whole 30 and found this. Good fodder for those kill all things days too.

Welcome, most recent newcomers - Happyyogini and Amandamarie.  That spice, Ras el Hanout, looks amazing, Happyyogini! And awesome that your hubby joined you on W30, Amandamarie!

Lori and Alaya I hear you on food restrictions. Tomatoes are completely off my list for now. No onions and very little garlic as well. I just tell myself it's not forever. Body is shifting, gut is healing. Thank Goddess I can eat eggplant. 

And I hope you enjoyed the bridal shower, Lori. It doesn't have to be all about food, right? And Wholemama, nothing wrong with meals getting smaller. As long as you eat till you're full!.

Today not eating much:

M1 chicken broth with spinach leaves

M2 last of egg tart

Maybe some jello later. Have to make it and even that seems like a lot right now. You know you're not feeling well when making jello sounds hard. 

bronnyd: WIshing you so much rest and wellness. That's a long time to feel unwell! Sounds like you are resting as best you can.

----

Day 16 - what I ate:

Breakfast:

3 fried eggs

sw potato rounds

1/2 avocado

salt, pepper, hot sauce

cup black coffee

Lunch:

leftover thai beef skillet:

ground beef

zucchini & carrot ribbons

yellow bell pepper

coconut amigos

garlic

sw potato rounds

Snack:

shrimp ceviche

shrimp, lime juice,

cucumber, avocado,

red onion, cilantro

Dinner:

seabass w/

tomatoes, olives, 

garlic, onions, fresh herbs

asparagus roasted w/ olive oil

salt & pepper

I ate a lot of onion today. (Forgot to pass on to hubby that I'm going to take a break. We'll see how I feel.) Also got called out by a good friend about how exhausted I've seemed lately and that just reconfirmed that I need to make sleep my number one priority right now. Ferociously, if need be. I took a nap this afternoon and plan to get into bed with a book early tonight. Light out before 9pm.

I had to be at work for a research meeting.....................................

The PI who is hosting the party tonight wrote back and said she is planning to do a Cinco de Mayo theme - chicken breasts marinated in lime juice and cilantro on the grill (compliant), with sauteed peppers and onions on the side (will have to check these).  Hooray - I can at least have the chicken!  I'll bring my own mango salsa and cauliflower pilaf and of course the broccoli salad w/o bacon (sniff, sniff).

:)

Hi lori_vt what type of research are you in?  Also, how did you break into the field?  I've always been very interested in working in "translational research" but just can't seem to get my foot in the door.  I have a MS degree in Health Services Research. I used to work at a clinical research facility that conducted clinical trials on medications in various stages of development.  I really enjoyed it.  I left years ago when the economy took a turn for the worst as the hospitality field got hit really hard (meaning, my husband lost his job (stayed unemployed for 2 years) thus negating my need to find something that paid more money.)

Hello everyone! I see everyone  is busy and doing well!!  I am still going strong!!!  I am having a hard time getting on here and posting!! I had to change my schedule in order to fit in my workouts. I wake very early 4:00 AM and to bed early around 8:00 PM, and lately is has been hell. I am having trouble trying to fit it all in. However, I am not going to let anyone or anything get in the way of my taking care of myself!! I can see my husband is starting to get pissy.....he will get over it!!  However, I won't be able to post until I can adjust to this new schedule!!! and figure out a way to fit it all in!!!  I am sorry!!! Please...keep up the good work and will check in when I can!!!  Hugs, Debbie

Hey there pyrotek, I was wondering what had happened to you.  STAY STRONG my cyber buddy, stay strong...

It feels like forever since I made a post, but it was only 36 hours.  I felt so guilty yesterday for not going to the bridal shower, that I holed up in my own little cocoon.  I went out at about 2 (finally) to BUY the shower gift, and stopped at Gardeners Supply (SALE!) and before I knew it, it was 5 pm.  Ran home, walked/fed the dog, and made dinner.  Actually my daughter, son-in-law and 2.5 yr old granddaughter stopped by at dinner time, but oddly enough, I had nothing to offer.  I have not been doing my cook-ups on the weekends like the last two W30's.  So they ordered from a local Thai restaurant, which had nothing I could eat, so I made myself some coconut meatballs - without the coconut milk hehe.  Also quickly threw in some parsnips and rutabaga to roast in the toaster oven, and I think I had another veggie, but I don't remember. 

Today was GORGEOUS here!  Mid-70's, no humidity, sunny, breezy and just perfect.  Unfortunately I couldn't restrain myself from doing too much stuff outside and now my back is wicked sore.  I threw a veal shoulder steak in the toaster oven with carrots, onions, a little lemon and some broth.  Here's the full day:

Bfast - 2 eggs, 1/2 roasted sweet potato rounds, french green beans with ghee and sliced almonds, kiwi

Lunch - large salad with sardines and pomegranate balsamic, olive oil; 10 plantain chips with almond butter

Dinner - veal steak, carrots, sweet and salty broccoli salad (minus the bacon)

I think I'll be ready for bed before 9 tonight ;)

Lazy lazy Sunday. My son is major teething and had a fever all day. Spent the whole day watching movies with him asleep on my lap. I feel like I needed a day like this. 

Breakfast:

3 poached eggs

sw potato rounds

leftover roasted asparagus

leftover tomatoes, olives, 

cup black coffee

Lunch

hard-boiled egg whites

leftover tomatoes, olives, 

1/2 avocado

sm handful cashews

Snack:

banana

almond butter

Dinner:

shrimp w/

tomato, garlic,

fresh herbs, lemon juice

over zoodles

Back in the game!

Hi all! Just read up on everything. I missed some good kombucha talk! 

This weekend was pretty crazy, but I only have myself to blame. I picked up extra shifts Friday and Saturday night, in addition to my regular mon-fri job, so Friday ended up being a 30 hour work shift. I packed a LOT of food which saved me, but over the weekend I've been more permissive with the meal plan and have snacked a bit on veggies and hardboiled eggs to get me through long days, as well as apples I found in the hospital. 

today I finally made it to Trader Joes and stalked up for the week, and have cooked up a storm. Meal prep has been: butternut squash soup, cauliflower rice, a beef/brocoli/spinach fritatta, ground beef. There should be enough protein to last me about 8 meals. I usually pick up side salads at work to go with the meals and prepped veggies. 

Tomorrow I'll make some sunshine sauce and mayo, since I'm too hot and tired to cook any more tonight. 

Thank you for posting your experience with results so far.. I too have felt that the results are different this time around, and I don't think any weight has come off at all. Which is fine.. but occasionally I feel bloated and puffy. Nuts are now out for me, in anything more than tiny quantities sprinkled on salads. Strange because during the last whole30 I had a bunch of almond butter and it seemed to sit fine. Garlic is also causing a bit of trouble, I think, because after a garlic-heavy mashed cauliflower meal I could feel it bouncing around in my stomach all day (TMI.. sorry). 

Haven't posted my meals in a while. Today:

M1 (post shift at 8am) beef chill, carrots, roasted brocoli

M2 (sometime around 4pm) spinach salad with smoked salmon, mustard/lime dressing. Not nearly enough food, I soon realized. 

M3 (7pm) big bowl of butternut squash soup, ground beef, some berries and red cherries, snacking on everything I was cooking (which is how I know the previous meal was not enough). 

Today while walking around TJs I found myself craving all sorts of little candy they had around the store, caramel chocolate, cookies.. etc. I had to stop and give myself a pep talk, remind myself that I probably don't really want them and i would just feel kinda crappy if I ate chocolate. Which is true. But while checking out, I grabbed one of their fruit bars (compliant) and ate it mindlessly on my way to the car. wAy too sweet and not very satisfying. Ayayay. 

I slept most of the day today (5/17/2015); recovering from Jet Lag.  Traveling between various time zone takes a toll on me.   :D  From the East Coast to the West Coast and then back again.  I can't complain too much because there were people at the user work-group forum from Canada and Australia. Their commute was much longer then mine...  The Australian group were a hoot to hang around.  They were truly enjoying themselves....LIKE really really really enjoying themselves.

Normally during plane rides, I chew gum so that my ears don't pop; but since gum is not Whole30 compliant I had to think outside the box.  I decided that items that were crunchy would probably be my best bet so I chose apples and/or nuts as my take-off food go-to items.  It actually worked quite well; much better then trying to continuously force numerous yawns throughout the whole take-off process.

Reading through the posts, I noticed, numerous individuals have voiced their concern over lack of variety. Has anyone tried subscribing to the Paelo version of emeals (you have to watch out though as not all of the meals are Whole30 compliant).  What I usually do when I run across those is either (1) leave out the non-compliant ingredient altogether (2) make a compliant substitute version of the non-complaint item (if feasible) or (3) switch out the meal all together for one of my stand-by recipes.

Regarding the compliant bacon have you tried ordering it online from US Wellness Meats (http://grasslandbeef.com/).

I noticed that my face is breaking as well....AGAIN.  Not sure what's causing it; but it's not too too bad yet.  Maybe it was the water in California.  

Headed to bed... Wanted to be in by 8:00 pm; but slept too much during the day.  Have nothing prepared for the week so it's going to be a long week for me. Geez...I should have gone to the grocery store.  Hopefully I can scavenge something out of the freezer to get me through.  I know that I have chicken and sausage gumbo......

Day 18 is right around the corner... More then half-way through everyone. Stay STRONG...

Good morning, everyone! 

I am feeling pretty peppy this morning! I hope that beginning of something new because last week's exhaustion and low energy and general feelings of yuck were almost too much for me.

We at well this weekend - lots of veggie varieties.  I have traditionally not been a fan of brussel sprouts but I'm trying to eliminate the words "I don't like" from my vocabulary during this experience so brussel sprouts found their way onto my plate.  I mixed them with my sweet potatoes to disguise them.  ;)  Worked like a charm.  I added the left overs to a couple of salads through the weekend and that really helped to give the salad more complexity and feel more like a meal.

Today, I have to work late so I'm posting now what I plan to eat.  :)  Let's hope I stay on track.

M1 - repeat of the yummy velvet butternut squash, sausage, 1 fried egg.  This meal is so yummy I expect it will show up again regularly.

M2 - baked sweet potato smothered in left over taco meat, 1/2 avocado

M3 - chicken chowder from the Whole 30 cook book

As I was packing my lunch and my dinner I realized that I'm eating a lot of sweet potato/butternut squash today - pretty much in every meal.  That hadn't occured to me last night as I was doing prep for today but it's going to have to be what it is today because I don't have time to make any changes. 

Bringing a baggie of roasted almonds as an emergency reserve.

Have a great Monday!

Morning everyone! Sounds like everyone had a great weekend! We went to the Maryland Zoo on Saturday! It was such a gorgeous day for it, and my daughter seemed to love it! However, NO compliant food. Not one single thing. So glad I had my bag of almonds, and some black olives, or I may have starved!! LOL. We walked from 11:30am-5pm and all I had was a few handfuls of almonds and tiny pack of olives. I didn't eat until I got home. I wasn't risking it.

Can't remember my meals this weekend, but I'm getting pretty bored. Kind of scared that I signed myself up for a whole100. I feel like I'm losing ideas food wise, and I did snack more this weekend than normal.

My face is STILL breaking out. I don't understand this as I'm eating so clean, I can't imagine what's doing it. I'm trying to be patient, but it's annoying! Clothes don't feel much different, so I'm waiting for the magic to start. I need to pick up more exercise, but I'm really sensitive to the heat, and it's been REALLY humid. Blah!

Anyway...

Meal1: was super super behind this morning. I had to cook and then eat at work!

3 eggs in coconut oil

sweet potato with ghee

fresh salsa

Passionfruit LaCroix

meal2: salad with olive oil, tuna, baby spinach, peppers, hardboiled eggs

roasted cauliflower.

meal3: Fish, and veggies.

Greetings, I have been all over this forum posting since starting my first Whole 30 May 1st.   Still trying to figure out where I am supposed to post.  I will give this a try as it seems to have a lovely thread.

today is my 18th day and I feel as  if I have been eating this way forever which is not a bad thing.  I have been in some precarious situations food-wise.  I was able to stay strong and felt great afterward.

A few people are noticing I have slimmed down which is nice.I love the info I've been getting off these posts.  The psychological benefit has been the most beneficial for me.  Food is such an issue for me, and it's nice to hear from people who have similar challenges.

I threw out all my non compliant cooking oil from my pantry that I have not used in 18 days.  My husband and "pancake daughter"  are not along for the ride any more, but that is not a problem for me.  

I miss Heinz Ketchup

Sorry to post again so soon, but I have been looking over the many available recipes that are Whole 30 compliant and many of them use chicken thighs.  I do not like chicken thighs in particular.   I have been substituting with breasts instead.  Is that a problem for being on the program?

Merci'

jhalpern2 - have you tried this ketchup recipe? http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/06/wf2-recipe-kickass-ketchup/

I feel like I am kind of stagnant.  I don't feel fantastic and I don't feel crappy - just feel rather okay.  I suppose that's not a bad thing.  I am quite bored with food these days.  I also am finding that I'm struggling to know what an appropriate meal size is.  Sometimes I prepare what I think is a good meal, and either I feel completely full and satisfied until my next meal, or I am still hungry after eating and go on a hunt for something else.  I suppose I should pause and see if it's emotional eating, but there's really nothing going on in my life that would drive me to stress eating.  <sigh> it's always something...

B'fast - kale salad with 2 soft boiled eggs http://soletshangout.com/blt-breakfast-salad-with-soft-boiled-eggs-avocado/ without the  bacon, 1/2 baked sweet potato rounds

Lunch - veal meatballs, cocoa toasted cauliflower, sweet and salty broccoli salad (again, sans bacon)

Dinner - 2 small pieces of coconut crusted cod, cauliflower pilaf, 6 spears roasted asparagus

My stomach feels kind of bloated and fat.  I don't feel like my clothes are fitting any better, and I had really hoped that would happen.  Maybe it still will, but I am beginning to feel a little impatient.   Apparently I have some expectations with this W30.  And I'm feeling a little cranky.  This is a really busy week at work, and I also have a lot of personal things I need to get done.  My car needs some exhaust work, and I'm still driving around with my studded snow tires - it was in the 80's today :( Friday I bring it in for exhaust and oil change, and need to see if the summer tires will pass inspection, because that's due in June.  And to top it off, I think the transmission might be slipping.  Hmm, did I say there was no stress in my life?  All this work on a car that I hate, with no money in the bank - that probably does classify as stressful. 

Tomorrow is a new day, and I expect it to be wonderful.  :D

Sorry to post again so soon, but I have been looking over the many available recipes that are Whole 30 compliant and many of them use chicken thighs.  I do not like chicken thighs in particular.   I have been substituting with breasts instead.  Is that a problem for being on the program?

Merci'

Hi jhalpern2: Post as often as you like.   :D I'm not a huge fan of chicken thighs either and am always substituting them with chicken breasts. It is not a problem. Here's a link to the whole30 shopping list... http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-shopping-list.pdf

jhalpern2 - have you tried this ketchup recipe? http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/06/wf2-recipe-kickass-ketchup/

I feel like I am kind of stagnant.  I don't feel fantastic and I don't feel crappy - just feel rather okay.  I suppose that's not a bad thing.  I am quite bored with food these days.  I also am finding that I'm struggling to know what an appropriate meal size is.  Sometimes I prepare what I think is a good meal, and either I feel completely full and satisfied until my next meal, or I am still hungry after eating and go on a hunt for something else.  I suppose I should pause and see if it's emotional eating, but there's really nothing going on in my life that would drive me to stress eating.  <sigh> it's always something...

B'fast - kale salad with 2 soft boiled eggs http://soletshangout.com/blt-breakfast-salad-with-soft-boiled-eggs-avocado/ without the  bacon, 1/2 baked sweet potato rounds

Lunch - veal meatballs, cocoa toasted cauliflower, sweet and salty broccoli salad (again, sans bacon)

Dinner - 2 small pieces of coconut crusted cod, cauliflower pilaf, 6 spears roasted asparagus

My stomach feels kind of bloated and fat.  I don't feel like my clothes are fitting any better, and I had really hoped that would happen.  Maybe it still will, but I am beginning to feel a little impatient.   Apparently I have some expectations with this W30.  And I'm feeling a little cranky.  This is a really busy week at work, and I also have a lot of personal things I need to get done.  My car needs some exhaust work, and I'm still driving around with my studded snow tires - it was in the 80's today :( Friday I bring it in for exhaust and oil change, and need to see if the summer tires will pass inspection, because that's due in June.  And to top it off, I think the transmission might be slipping.  Hmm, did I say there was no stress in my life?  All this work on a car that I hate, with no money in the bank - that probably does classify as stressful. 

Tomorrow is a new day, and I expect it to be wonderful.  :D

Hey there lori_vt: The salad that you ate for breakfast is one of my favorites.  I splurge and buy the Whole30 compliant bacon from US Wellness Farms.

Hang in there.......

My stomach feels kind of bloated and fat.  I don't feel like my clothes are fitting any better, and I had really hoped that would happen.  Maybe it still will, but I am beginning to feel a little impatient.   Apparently I have some expectations with this W30.  And I'm feeling a little cranky....

lori_vt: I feel you! Today I was especially bloated and my pants felt tighter. Trying to understand if it's something I ate or just the detox still happening in my body. I am trying so hard to be patient, especially because I know I am sleep challenged, though I'm trying to make up for it. I really want to feel GOOD! If I really look at where I was when I started -- I know I feel better.... Sigh. I have a feeling this is where patience comes in. Never was a strong suit!  ;)

I've also been realizing that I'm overeating a bit at each meal, to the point where I'm not even hungry for the next, so I'm going to keep my eye on that the next few days. And that handful of nuts in the afternoon -- I'd like to at least replace it with a "meal template" snack. (Though truth is, I'm not eating for hunger, I'm eating for tiredness/stress. That's the time of day when I should be taking a nap, but I'm still learning to make that a priority and not jam my day too full of things...)

What I ate today:

Breakfast:

3 fried eggs

leftover zoodles

cup black coffee

Lunch: at the grocery store...

slices smoked turkey

raw ginger carrot soup

(made w/ almonds, avocado, oj, 

cilantro…)

gingerade kombucha

Snack:

handful cashews

Dinner:

chicken meatballs w. tobasco -- from the new Whole 30 book, yummy!

homemade ranch dressing -- also from the new Whole 30 book. I'm not even a "ranch girl" and I'm obsessed w/ this stuff!

carrot & celery sticks 

Hi All

Y'know I've been thinking.... my reintros have not been as true to reintro as I'd like. Both of them included birthdays (one a friend's and one mine) in which I just ate/drank whatev. And this last reintro before May included one evening of movie macadamia nuts and choc. covered salted caramel - a BiG nono for me!

I forgot about all this until I found a little baggie of the caramels in the freezer and in shock and disbelief, threw the baggie back in with a little yelp, realizing I had really blown my reintro. 

I'm thinking that the reason why this particular W30 is so hard with face breaking out and getting so sick and tummy hurting (sibo issues as well) is because my body is detoxing from all the crap I had in April. Even though I could so easily justify it by saying sheesh, just three eff ups, I can count 'em on one hand, I stopped after one evening, blalala, the friendly facts are, I ate and drank stuff my gut can not handle right now. Alcohol and candy are poison for me.

And my body is now reacting to being thrown again into strict regimen by what I think might be die off from all the cruddy bacteria. Plus, I ran out of probiotics, and didn't take them for about two weeks. Just got some yesterday - hopefully they will help. Probiotics are a necessary healing ingredient for my gut. Why did I stop taking them???

Just wanted to share. I'm gaining more and more perspective each time I do a W30 about what a deep groove I'm in habitually with certain eating habits. In the next reintro, I will exclude all alcohol and any sugar for at least 90 days. 

There I've said it. No more fooling around. What the heck am I doing this for if I keep trying to fool myself??

:)

bronnyd I know exactly what you mean!!  Seriously, if I am fooling myself, then wtf?  After reading your post, I could definitely be detoxing from the crap I ate under the guise of "cleaning out the fridge/freezer/cabinets before my W30."  Stuff I might graze on over the course of a month, but I intentionally gorged myself on these things to get my fill before I went on a strict clean-up.  Did I not think that would affect my body?  I too am learning more about my relationship with food each time I do a W30.

Alaya I am sure some of my discomfort also has to do with lack of sleep.  I had every intention of getting to bed by 9:15 last night, but sadly I let myself get caught up in other things (doing p/t with my dog after her knee surgery, working on the sweater I'm knitting for my granddaughter, then watching a TV show out of habit - started it at 9 and it's an hour show).  Then I got into bed and tossed and turned for 15 minutes, and finally got up and took a Benadryl.  Ugh.  I think I fell asleep somewhere around 10:30, then got up at 6:10.  Less than 8 hours.  No wonder I do not feel great.

I don't get why this W30 feels like more of a struggle than the previous two.  It's not hard sticking to the plan, but I'm struggling with food boredom, time management and obviously deep-seated food issues.  Maybe I need to take some time and reflect on this, instead of casually going about my day wondering why things feel off.  I'm not a fan of "emotional work" lol

Morning everyone!

Day 19!!

Today is the first day I've felt "slimmer", and by that I mean NO BLOAT! I don't feel stuffed in my clothes, and it feels good!

meal1: 3 eggs in olive oil

broccoli slaw sautéed in ghee

roasted carrots and parsnips

black coffee

meal2: All beef patty

roasted cauliflower

roasted carrots and parsnips

black olives

meal3: TBD

I'm also just not interested in food these days. I saw whole30 posted something on instagram about how this is normal and it made me feel better this morning.

Archived