Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Holy moly - I left work to go to physical therapy and made a quick stop at the grocery store, and on my way back to work my car died. It smelled like something was burning/melting. AAA picked it up and brought it to my mechanic's. My air filter was on fire!! It could have combusted and all kinds of awful stuff could've happened. So it's now 3:15 and I didn't have lunch - glad I picked up 2 larabars at the store, because that's all I've had since breakfast at 7. I won't be going back to work as my car won't be ready in time. The air filter cover melted, but mechanic said I should be ok with just the new air filter. I do not need another $500 problem with this car.

I have no idea what I will do for dinner. Probably just leftovers. But man I'm hungry.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lori_vt, thank you for the link to the ketchup... I printed out the recipe and will try it this week.  I have everything but the figs/dates, will let you know.  I used to eat ketchup on everything,  Did not try peanut butter. "tee hee hee"

Thank you Ms claws for the warm welcome.......

Today is day 19 and I am going to a reception tonight where there will be food after the event.  I plan on eating before I go and leaving before the food is put out.  I am just not ready to tempt myself.  I know I can resist, but a recovering alcoholic once told me that the smell of liquor was hard for them.  I think I'm not going to tempt myself when I don't have to looking at the desserts.

I don't think of food as much as I used to.  I was so obsessed before I started this.

Rough day. Something I ate yesterday did NOT sit well with me. I realize I've let the onions creep back in. It could also have something to do with the fact that I got only 4 hours of sleep last night due to a teething toddler. I reached for a banana as a snack and it actually made me feel much much better, though probably only for the time being.

Sleep deprivation is killer for me killing me.

Also just put two books on hold from my local library: Your Personal Paleo Code (now The Paleo Cure) by Chris Kresser and The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne. I searched for functional medicine practitioners in my area. Turns out my PCP is the only one listed in the area -- had no idea! (I knew I liked her...) I know sleep has got to be a big part of this, but I also want to get to the bottom of the diet stuff. I was planning to make this a Whole 60 anyway, and I think I may choose to try AIP (plus no alliums) for the second 30 days. There's a part of me that wants to resist further restriction, but there's a greater part of me that just wants to feel good again.

Breakfast:

4 egg omelet

fresh salsa

banana w/

sunbutter

cup black coffee

Lunch

leftover chicken meatballs

homemade ranch dressing

carrot & celery sticks

leftover asparagus

Snack:

banana

Dinner:

beef marinara

over spaghetti squash

steamed broccol

I searched for functional medicine practitioners in my area. Turns out my PCP is the only one listed in the area -- had no idea! (I knew I liked her...) I know sleep has got to be a big part of this, but I also want to get to the bottom of the diet stuff. I was planning to make this a Whole 60 anyway, and I think I may choose to try AIP (plus no alliums) for the second 30 days. There's a part of me that wants to resist further restriction, but there's a greater part of me that just wants to feel good again.

Alaya:  Was there a particular website you used to search for functional medicine practitioners (FMP)  in your area?  Its so ironic that you posted something regarding FMPs as I was just thinking today that I needed to find one in my area.

Also, just thought I'd add that I went to bed at 8:30pm last night, which means I got 7 straight hours of sleep before my son got up at 3:30am. He went back down (as did I) and my husband was kind enough to get up with him for the day at 5am. Which means I got a total of 10.5 hours of sleep last night!

IT'S A FREAKING MIRACLE!

Also, just thought I'd add that I went to bed at 8:30pm last night, which means I got 7 straight hours of sleep before my son got up at 3:30am. He went back down (as did I) and my husband was kind enough to get up with him for the day at 5am. Which means I got a total of 10.5 hours of sleep last night!

IT'S A FREAKING MIRACLE!

WAY TO GO Alaya... I am so very happy for you..... :D

It is day 20!!!  :D  We are 2/3 of the way there!

I'm feeling ridiculously good today. Coming off of my struggles last week, this is a huge welcome change for me.  I didn't mention this earlier but I started the Whole 30 coming off of an annual detox run through my yoga studio.  Most of April was slowly tapering down and eliminating certain foods.  We had about 4 days between the end of that process and the start of the Whole 30.  I'll admit I ate a fair amount of crap in those four days but I think that, in general, the detox really helped prep me for this. 

So many of you have mentioned what a learning experience this has been for you - same for me.  I've been able to see some of my emotional responses to food and our social responses to food. Even seeing people's reactions to me when they ask about what I'm doing has been informative.  Snacking for me seems almost always tied to emotions (bordom in particular and the feeling a deserving a reward) - rarely tied to hunger.

M1: more of the same - if it's not broke...
1 egg fried in coconut oil

helping of velvet butternut squash

compliant sausage

sauteed veggies (zucchini, peppers) in coconut oil

M2: left over chili from the Whole 30 book
this is a very tasty recipe - we added sweet potatoes to ours

1/2 avocado

M3: Tonight our menu is stuffed peppers :wub:

I have been mostly lurking and getting meal ideas from you ladies so far. Day 20 and it has been a rough go for me since Friday. I have 5 kids. The youngest and two others are sick. I am up all night with the 21 month old and hardly sleeping. Hubs tries to help, but baby wants momma. I was so looking forward to my first tiger-blood and instead am nearing the end of my period and dealing with a sick family at the same time. I am wiped out and achy (from holding baby in weird positions desperate to get a little sleep). Hopefully the kids get better soon and I can feel that energy and triumph! Right now I am thinking I may not be ready for reintroductions at day 31 because I have been having some sugar cravings the last few days that I am not sure are hormone or stress related or what.

I haven't prepared all that well and am constantly at the store and cooking two dinners, which is also exhausting. I have always been a twice per month shopping, meal planning and budgeting person. Eating this clean is throwing off my budget and sending me to the store a lot and I am a slave to my kitchen. I am creating a new meal plan for this upcoming shopping trip so that at least dinner my entire family is eating whole 30 so I am not making separate meals.

Phew! That was a vent! Just feeling desperate right now I guess.

Holy moly - I left work to go to physical therapy and made a quick stop at the grocery store, and on my way back to work my car died. It smelled like something was burning/melting. AAA picked it up and brought it to my mechanic's. My air filter was on fire!! It could have combusted and all kinds of awful stuff could've happened. So it's now 3:15 and I didn't have lunch - glad I picked up 2 larabars at the store, because that's all I've had since breakfast at 7. I won't be going back to work as my car won't be ready in time. The air filter cover melted, but mechanic said I should be ok with just the new air filter. I do not need another $500 problem with this car.

I have no idea what I will do for dinner. Probably just leftovers. But man I'm hungry.

Oh my goodness that is the pits! Good thing it wasn't more complicated to fix, but how stressful!

Morning everyone!

Day 19!!

Today is the first day I've felt "slimmer", and by that I mean NO BLOAT! I don't feel stuffed in my clothes, and it feels good!

meal1: 3 eggs in olive oil

broccoli slaw sautéed in ghee

roasted carrots and parsnips

black coffee

meal2: All beef patty

roasted cauliflower

roasted carrots and parsnips

black olives

meal3: TBD

I'm also just not interested in food these days. I saw whole30 posted something on instagram about how this is normal and it made me feel better this morning.

I am having the same disinterest in food lately, even though I am trying new recipes to try to avoid food fatigue. I'm just not hungry and nothing sounds amazing. Losing bloat has been one of my favorite parts of my whole30 so far, that and no longer having a 3 o'clock slump. Thinking I need to add ghee and parsnips to my menu. I have never had a parsnip before.

Amandamarie, more power to you! I hope you get some good rest soon! Sleep is SO important for so many reasons. 

After a rough couple weeks I think I'm on the upswing health-wise, Thank Goddess. I too have lost interest in eating much, but I think that's cuz of the crud. Yesterday I had a "normal" breakfast of eggs and 3/4 cup squash and spinach mixed right in. 

M2 chicken

M3 chicken and kale with jello

Today I woke up ravenous.

M1 2 eggs with broccoli and bacon.

M2 - probably chicken soup with spinach and more broccoli (needs to be eaten up)

M3 - not sure yet. 

Happy Day 20!! 

Hey Mrs Amanda, you are doing so amazing.. My goodness you have 5 kids and 3 are sick....When my kids were small, I was always tired and felt like I was a hamster running on a wheel.  I promise you it does get better.

Try to keep your meals real simple.  You are not cooking for a contest or for a restaurant.   Sometimes I too get a little bogged down with the meal planning, just be simple, because you are teaching your family that food is not the focus of their life.

I wanted to post about last night where I went to a reception with lots of food.....  I made sure I wasn't the first at the buffet table, and sat down at the farthest place from it. Before the program I would have focused entirely on the spread.  In fact I made it a point to engage in conversation with the people around me.

I focused on them and not stuffing my mouth with as much food as I could get in.  That in itself was incredibly rewarding, just "being" with someone else other than myself.

I did look at the homemade cookies and it was very tough.......Here's the thing, I wrote about this earlier in another thread, I am very scared about what will happen to me when I end the program.  I am such a food addict, I am worried I will go off the deep end, and not be able to limit my quantity.  I am on Day 20 and feel wonderful

Feeling good after a great night's sleep. Also, really trying to shift my mindset around this whole thing, taking time to recognize the positive changes I HAVE noticed... and after reading some of the books I just picked up, I'm feeling more confident about how to troubleshoot without restricting more foods right away.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

3 poached eggs

leftover steamed broccoli

sw potato rounds

hot sauce

cup black coffee

Lunch: (Part 1 - in town)

prosciutto

pear & mango baby food packet

Lunch: (Part II - at home)

turkey slices

leftover steamed broccoli

dipped in homemade ranch dressing

Dinner:

homemade turkey sausages

mashed sw. potatoes w/

coconut milk & ghee

sauteed onions

Today is Day 21, and like the late great James Brown said...."I feel good...dunuanana, like I know that I should"

I am craving tofu right now, I am not a vegetarian, but still am craving it, maybe it's because I know I can't have it.   Anyway I have read the info about the lectins in soybeans and why they are not good, especially the estrogen for women.  I also read on a Whole 9 posting that if you are peri menopausal it won't affect you.  Since I am post menopausal should this be the same?

looking forward to hear your thoughts on this

I am having the same disinterest in food lately, even though I am trying new recipes to try to avoid food fatigue. I'm just not hungry and nothing sounds amazing. Losing bloat has been one of my favorite parts of my whole30 so far, that and no longer having a 3 o'clock slump. Thinking I need to add ghee and parsnips to my menu. I have never had a parsnip before.

Oh I love Parsnips!!! They are like a combination between a carrot and a potato! Kind of a spicy note to it like a radish! They are really good roasted with ghee. Yummmmmm

Day 21

today has been terrible foodwise (template) but still compliant foods...

Meal1: 3 eggs in coconut oil

black coffee

Meal2: Beef patty w/homemade mayo

broccoli, steamed

asparagus with ghee

Meal3: fish, and veggies

Oh I love Parsnips!!! They are like a combination between a carrot and a potato! Kind of a spicy note to it like a radish! They are really good roasted with ghee. Yummmmmm

I just bought a pair last night and am going to roast them today! Pretty excited. Next I may try a rutabaga (I know I spelled that wrong..) one new veggie at a time though. I don't have any ghee though. There is a health food store across town that sells it. I need to go there when I do my big shopping trip this evening.

Day 21

I am feeling a wee bit better today. Though baby is still sick (and now only one other child) I held him in my arms and slept that way all night. My body is stiff from it, but better than getting up and down and up and down all night.

M1 Frittata (sautéed onion, fresh spinach, tomatoes) and naval orange slices. black coffee (over ice is how I take it nowadays)

M2 left over chicken with homemade taco seasoning, avocado, tomato, romaine, half a bosc pear

M3 chicken with roasted sweet potatoes, parsnips and broccoli

Wish I wasn't having chicken twice today but I don't want to waste left overs. Trying parsnips for the first time today!

I bought a ton of whole fat coconut milk yesterday, as well as some tahini and eggplant. Planning to make some Whole30 ranch as well as some baba ganoush to make raw veggies more exciting at lunch time so I am not constantly cooking them.

I love roasted parsnips and rutabaga and carrots and beets!!  I usually roast them in coconut oil.  They are so sweet when roasted.  I didn't update yesterday because of another issue with my stupid car - left me stranded at work.  My son picked me up and drove me to my mother's so I could borrow her car for a couple days.  Last night was definitely stressful eating, and I knew it, but I was actually hungry too.  I have no money, and I mean no  money.  I try to spend what I can on fresh veggies, but I only have a freezer full of ground veal and a few other veal products, so I'm bored and stuck with veal for a while.  I'm going to make a veal meatloaf tonight.  The grass-fed farmer I work with to buy offal (for my dog) sold me a whole bunch of older veal products.  They're way too good to give my dog, but since they're almost a year old, he can't sell them at the farmer's market - so he gave me a great deal.  So veal it is. 

Yesterday:

Bfast - my "usual" (sauteed sweet potato, broccoli, asparagus, onion, jalapeno and 2 eggs)

Lunch - Veal meatballs, cocoa toasted cauliflower, sweet and salty broccoli, kiwi

Dinner - Half a serving of beef shin stew, steamed broccoli.  Still hungry (obviously not enough food) so I had a couple of handfuls of walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and coconut chips

Today so far:

Bfast - my usual

Lunch - missed it because I was at doctor (prolotherapy injections for my arthritic thumb and index finger), then immediately home for my annual furnace inspection.  No going back to work again today.  So I pulled out bone broth, leftover steamed broccoli, cashew milk (compliant) with a scoop of hemp powder (compliant), plantain chips with almond butter.  This way too "snacky" a meal for me - even though it was compliant, it wasn't really a meal.  I just had to make due.  I left my huge salad and sardines at work.

Dinner - hoping to make veal meatloaf, probably a starchy veg and a green veg

And yay for day 21!  Three weeks we've been doing this.  I wish I had more enthusiasm, but I'm just kind of blah.  I have days where my bloat seems better, then the next day it's back.  I don't think I've lost any weight, but then again, I'm not trying to lose weight.  And I haven't felt a surge of incredible health and wellness either.  Maybe the magic will still happen.  Or maybe this is just a different kind of W30.  I know I'm still doing great things for my body.  Now if I could just do some mindful work on my food attitudes, maybe there would be some change.  It is reassuring to read that I'm not the only one with a "classic" fantastic W30 experience this time.  A lot of folks in this string have gotten sick; I haven't been sick, but allergies are pretty rough and have symptoms just like a bad headcold.  Even my dog is sneezing!  I think another big challenge for me is sufficient sleep.  Tuesday night I went to bed at 9, and it must have taken at least 30 minutes to fall asleep.  And then my sleep was restless.  Last night I stayed up til 10:30 - no excuse other than the stress of the day, and me using a stupid television show to de-stress.  I have never been a TV watcher, but with my back problems last year I began watching a bunch of different series on Netflix.  And now it's become an evening ritual.  Dumb.  But my surgeon hasn't cleared me for gardening, running, or biking, so I'm very limited in what I can do.  I should get the ok next Friday, May 29th.  But of course that means easing into my former activities.  I've been sedentary for the past 8 months, probably the longest in my entire life. 

Dang - sorry to be so voluminous and sharing completely irrelevant details with y'all.

jhalpern I really liked what you said about engaging in the people around you rather than focus on buffet food. It's so easy to use food as a way to avoid engaging - I know that all too well. :)  No reason to not continue W30 to a W60 or W100 - lots of people do. 

For me, I'm really getting clear on what is good (and not good) for my gut, health, well-being on this third W30 of mine and am designing a strict, clear regimen for when this May W30 is done. In a nutshell - no alcohol or refined sugar for the next 30 days of June. None. Nada. Nicht. 

More on reintro on the reintro forum I'll join or create.

Last night I made a healthy dinner of sauteed squash, beets, celeriac and two garlic cloves with scrambled eggs. Right after eating, my gut started hurting. I didn't even finish my dinner. My doc did tell me to stay away from garlic but I thought it's just a little bit and I haven't been eating garlic so it'll be OK. 

I need to stop thinking. My stomach felt acidy and garlicy and just plain gross. I used to be able to eat a lot of garlic. I love garlic. Hopefully this too is temporary. I did an hour of yoga anyway and it helped. I burped and groaned my way through and by the end of the hour, I felt much better.

And I have to pat myself on the back - I'm still on track with daily yoga, even through this second bout of flu last weekend. If for just 15 minutes on the really sick days, I did it. And every time, I felt beter - more centered and accepting of what is happening. Yoga really helps my anxiety. 

Today's meals:

M1 sauteed squash and broccoli with two fried eggs and bacon bits and pieces

M2 salad with lettuce from garden, carrot, 5 apple-juic sweetened cranberries, chicken, basil leaves and chicken broth 

M3 chicken salad with kale from garden

Just 8 more days to go! 

Just 8 more days to go! 

I think it's 9 more days if start date was May 1 ;)  hehe but who's counting? :rolleyes:  I'm going through May 30th, and possibly May 31st, to make it a whole month.

My veal meatloaves came out great!  I made two mini meatloaves and ate half of one for dinner, baked sweet potato "fries" and steamed broccoli.  I was going to roast it, but my oven was full.

I ate kelp noodles tonight with cooked down eggplant, tomatoes, onions and garlic. I liked the kelp noodles, a little salty, but interesting to try.

I am going to go past the may 30 and slip into next month. I like how I feel. I need the boundaries still.

I have to admit -- my enthusiasm for this is fading.  ;)

I somehow planned my meals this week in a really unbalanced way: all starchy/root veg type and no leafies or greens really. I'm just feeling kind of apathetic and bored and despite a few improvements it's not the magic I was expecting in the past. And my cravings have been through the roof for the past three days.

Oh, and I totally got "got" today. My husband left half a cup of "black" coffee on the counter when he went to work. I wanted more coffee after finishing my cup (even though I knew I didn't need it.) I took one sip and realized he'd snuck in some maple syrup. (He's not "technically" doing the Whole30 with me as he is a chef and needs to taste dishes and wines, but he committed to doing it at home with me.) -- I gave him a good (jovial) hard time about it all.

I'm not that worried about starting over because a) it was such a small sip and B) I'm planning another 30 days anyway...

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

2 fried eggs

2 compliant port sausages

leftover mashed sw potatoes

w/ coconut milk & ghee

hot sauce

cup black coffee

Lunch:

leftover chicken thighs

leftover mashed sw potatoes

w/ coconut milk & ghee

sauerkraut

Dinner:

roasted chicken

roasted root veggies 

(cleriac, beets, parsnip & turnip)

w/ coconut curry sauce (from the Whole 30 book)

amandamarievth: I so feel you on the sick kiddo front. I can feel the stiffness in my arms and neck as you speak about it! More than that I am in awe and admiration that you are mother to five children. I barely make it through most days with one!

Archived