Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

amandamarievth: I so feel you on the sick kiddo front. I can feel the stiffness in my arms and neck as you speak about it! More than that I am in awe and admiration that you are mother to five children. I barely make it through most days with one!

Awe, thank you so much! It is most definitely zaney around here. Never a quiet moment. My twins start kindergarten in the fall and I will have 3 in school and 2 at home during the day, it will be so weird for me with only two home! They drive me up a wall but it is so worth it, greatest bunch of crazy tiny humans.

I am feeling a little brighter today. Went shopping last night and today (specialty store was closed last night) and have meal planning done this week that makes all dinners whole30 compliant for the entire family so I am not cooking two meals. I'm not having my kids do whole30, but my hubs and I are, and at least dinner the kids will be by default. I am really hoping this means left overs for lunches so I don't have to cook lunch. Today I had a simple lunch that was great.

Yesterday I made my own guac and baba ganoush. The guac was great, the baba was a little lemony.

Today I made my own mayo and ranch, both were great!

M1 left over spinach frittata (onion, tomato, spinach), banana

M2 3 boiled eggs, yellow mustard and homemade mayo as egg dip. Raw broccoli and carrots with homemade whole30 ranch, 6 cherries

M3 Applegate compliant beef hot dogs (2) cooked in sautéed onions and jalapeno, topped with sauerkraut. Roasted asparagus, baked sweet potato with ghee- first time I have had ghee! I expected it to taste like butter so was a bit surprised, but good!

I bought some compliant lara bars today to sample since we are going camping soon and figured it would help supplement as needed. Split one with hubs to try it, the cashew date one. 1) I wish they didn't label them pies and cookies and cakes, 2) whoa. Good stuff, but definitely triggered my bingey sugar dragon. Must stay away from those and only use in emergency. Looks like I will be doing at least a whole45 if not a whole60 because I am still struggling with sugar cravings and with camping wouldn't be able to do a proper reintroduction.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

boo - I have posted three times this morning, and every one of them has been lost :angry:  I'm going to try this one more time.

Found this incredible breakfast idea last year but never actually made it til today.  Wow!  This is a keeper!  I added celery and jalapeno to the onion/carrot/garlic sautee, and used homemade mayo and prosciutto in the roll-up.  http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/caramelised-onion-carrot-baked-omelette-roll-recipe/ 

To complete my breakfast, I had 1/4 sliced avocado, 1/2 small roasted sweet potato sticks and steamed brussels sprouts with ghee. 

post-36149-0-19283400-1432390328_thumb.j

amandamarievth: Larabars are slippery slope for me.  I chose to keep them out of my house this W30.  I don't know why I bought them on Tuesday (premonition?), but I was grateful I had them when my car broke down and I missed lunch.  I only ate one of them, which was really good for me.  Didn't want to wake up my sugar dragon or foodie addict.

alaya: I have had little to no enthusiasm for this W30 too.  I don't understand it, since I was really looking forward to it.  Last night I finally had a GREAT night sleep.  8.75 hours of quality sleep.  What a difference that makes when I get up in the morning.  I feel good.

Lots of running around today.  Tomorrow is the Vermont City Marathon, and the first time I haven't run in it since I can't even remember.  Two of my kids are running so I'll be there for support.

It's Day 23!  Woohoo!  One more week, and then even more for some of you guys.  I'm on the fence about continuing.  I'm going to my Dad's next weekend, and his wife makes a lot of fantastic food, but not compliant.  She would take it as an insult if I didn't partake of the food she spent hours preparing.  I may just indulge for the 30-31st, and start again on June 1st for another round.  I'll have to see how I feel.  It's been expensive for me (on a ridiculously low salary) especially with all the car problems I've had.  Someone said Mercury is Retrograde thinking that explains everything.  I could almost believe it. 

Hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend!

I think it's 9 more days if start date was May 1 ;)  hehe but who's counting? :rolleyes:  I'm going through May 30th, and possibly May 31st, to make it a whole month.

Hah Lori, you're right - wishful thinking I guess. Dang! Well, NOW it's 8 days (including today) and only if I don't go 'till May 31, which I might but might cave and make paleo bread. 

I bought some compliant lara bars today to sample since we are going camping soon and figured it would help supplement as needed. Split one with hubs to try it, the cashew date one. 1) I wish they didn't label them pies and cookies and cakes, 2) whoa. Good stuff, but definitely triggered my bingey sugar dragon. Must stay away from those and only use in emergency. Looks like I will be doing at least a whole45 if not a whole60 because I am still struggling with sugar cravings and with camping wouldn't be able to do a proper reintroduction.

Amanda - I've said this before in other W30s - it doesn't make any sense to me why Larabars are compliant when paleobread (much less sugar and more healthy) and fruit sweetened muffins (same) are not. I stay away from them. Nuts and dried fruit bode well outside the cooler. :)

Yesterday I had three very good, simple meals:

M1 3 eggs with broccoli 

M2 arugula salad with chicken, bacon, hb egg, dried cranberries, carrot, cuke, and yummy oo/lemon dressing with a hint of mustar

M3 baked cod with rosemary, basil, lemon and just a bit of bacon for taste, arugula mixed in

Today I'm eating the last of my chicken broth and chicken for the week. So good. 

Have a fun Memorial Day weekend everyone! 

I'm not sure I'll get on here tomorrow because I am getting my granddaughter at 7 am, then heading straight to the marathon to watch my 2 boys run.  It's going to be crazy downtown, trying to find parking, getting Alessandra in the stroller with all her stuff, getting through the mob to our meeting place.  {i really wish i was running too :( }  I've set up my breakfast for the morning (my "usual"), and I cut up a kiwi and mango and packed a container of nuts.  Not great, but will get me through.  I bought some Mahi Mahi to prepare tomorrow afternoon.

Lunch was leftover veal meatloaf and a large salad with balsamic and olive oil

Late afternoon - 1/2 bottle of Kombucha

Dinner was a veal sirloin steak (it was small, so no leftovers), baked sweet potato fries, steamed broccoli

I have been drinking my coffee black these days.  It's really not awful.  Not the creamy, satisfying coffee I used to drink, but it's been okay.  And I'm really glad I haven't gone back to my fresh coconut routine.  I was using it as a dessert, odd as that sounds.  So this time I really have changed more of my food patterns.  Maybe that's why it's been kind of a blah W30.  No coconut milk and oil in coffee for the past week or so.  No coconut wedge after meals. 

Hi everyone! Again long time no see. It has been really difficult for me and I've been feeling very blah with food and overall. I guess I haven't been feeling too proud of my meals which has kept me away from the forum, which then holds me less accountable. No issues with compliance, but meals have been messy this week, sometimes 2 and sometimes 4 a day, and a couple of days snacking on apples and bananas. Didn't help that it was my time of the month, which made me crave bananas like crazy. Overall I am just patting myself on the back for sticking to compliant foods non the less. But I definitely will have to prolong my whole30 to starve the sugar dragon, since I walked by coldstone today and almost ran in for an oreo sunday (which would have made me feel terrible). 

My graduation is June 11th, so for now my plan is to stay compliant throughout, and have some wine that day with my compliant meal. After that I will pick a day to introduce dairy.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Hi everyone! Again long time no see. It has been really difficult for me and I've been feeling very blah with food and overall. I guess I haven't been feeling too proud of my meals which has kept me away from the forum, which then holds me less accountable. No issues with compliance, but meals have been messy this week, sometimes 2 and sometimes 4 a day, and a couple of days snacking on apples and bananas. Didn't help that it was my time of the month, which made me crave bananas like crazy. Overall I am just patting myself on the back for sticking to compliant foods non the less. But I definitely will have to prolong my whole30 to starve the sugar dragon, since I walked by coldstone today and almost ran in for an oreo sunday (which would have made me feel terrible). 

My graduation is June 11th, so for now my plan is to stay compliant throughout, and have some wine that day with my compliant meal. After that I will pick a day to introduce dairy.

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

I commend you booksandcoffee for staying compliant.  Only a few more days to go...... :)

Good to see you, booksandcoffee! And good for you for keeping compliant even though it's been hard! 

I thought I had slain my sugar dragon, but nay, it reared it's firey head and with a big roar it beat its wings toward the salt-n-straw ice cream shop where fortunately there was a line 1/2 a block long. I flew past, my drool dousing the smoke and flames and landed hither at the local tea shop instead., Sorry, sweet dragon. I've been feeling restless - methinks I'm finally feeling back to  normal!

Could it be that my energy is coming back? Could it be that I'm finally past the hump and am now experiencing the go-forth-and-conquer dragon?  Must not get too cocky, lest I fool self into thinking ice cream is OK after this month. Because it's NOT. I'll state again, whenever good ol' SD raises her head, that through the month of June I'm staying full away from refined sugar and alcohol. 

Today my meals were a bit erratic - it's 11:40ish p.m. and I just had a dinner of 3 soft-boiled eggs and jello. Just wasn't hungry earlier. My M1 and M2 were later than normal. M1 was sausage, squash and eggs and M2 was bacon and broccoli with the last cup of chicken broth. All in all, a good day.

Tomorrow will be nice to have a bit of extra time. Making stuffed eggplant and baked cod with shredded coconut, rosemary, lemon and basil. 

I'm getting a bit bored with my food as well. Looking forward to paleo bread and 24 hour yogurt and more elaborate meals that include aged cheese and a bit of rice noodle or rice every now and then. Going mostly Paleo though. Yay day 24 done! Less than a week to finish line! : :lol:   :D

Today is Day 25, and this weekend was a 2 day holiday where the menu for food was focused on dairy at my synagogue. I made

sure I ate something compliant at home before I left. When I scouted the food at the banquet I saw I could not eat anything but the fruit. I was looking at the homemade rugelach, which is a pasty and drooled all over myself. The old me would have stuffed them in my pockets and have one in each hand, as well as one in my mouth....That was very rewarding for me to "win that battle and live to tell the tale."

I couldn't have the salad as there was feta cheese and dressing mixed all over it, and the rest as I said before was all dairy dishes.

The next day I made it a point to go into the kitchen of the reception and scoop out salad before the caterer put on the dressing. Then I put on oil and vinegar and was able to eat along with every one else with out all the question as the night before

Today is Day 25, and this weekend was a 2 day holiday where the menu for food was focused on dairy at my synagogue. I made

sure I ate something compliant at home before I left. When I scouted the food at the banquet I saw I could not eat anything but the fruit. I was looking at the homemade rugelach, which is a pasty and drooled all over myself. The old me would have stuffed them in my pockets and have one in each hand, as well as one in my mouth....That was very rewarding for me to "win that battle and live to tell the tale."

I couldn't have the salad as there was feta cheese and dressing mixed all over it, and the rest as I said before was all dairy dishes.

The next day I made it a point to go into the kitchen of the reception and scoop out salad before the caterer put on the dressing. Then I put on oil and vinegar and was able to eat along with every one else with out all the question as the night before

Good Work-around jhalpern for day 2.  Excellent thinking outside the box.  Congratulations on defeating the "homemade rugelach"....

Day 26!

pretty uneventful weekend. Had to battle some food, but stayed compliant! Everyone is getting so close to the end.. however, I'm doing a whole100, so I'm no that close yet! :)

Figured out this weekend that something bothers me. It's either Onion or avocado. I'm thinking onion but I usually eat them together. So I'll have to experiment!

Meal1: 3 eggs in olive oil (behind this am.. that's all I had)

meal2: 2 compliant sausages cooked in coconut oil

homemade mayo (for dipping)

sweet potato with ghee

green beans with ghee

Meal3: Fish, veggies (not planned yet)

Here we are on Day 26 and this string is relatively quiet.  I hope everyone is doing okay as we come down the home stretch of the W30 timeline.  I have been busy, but I have stayed on track.  I am a little nervous that I'm going to bail on day 30, and then I think I might just have to start another.  I don't mind - I mostly like this way of eating.  I am chalking the boredom up to the fact that I took out the little comfort things I had in my other 2 W30's.  Black coffee isn't so bad.  I stopped adding coconut milk and coconut oil to it and just decided to go black.  And no yummy coconut wedges after meals.  So perhaps that's why I've been unenthusiastic.  I made a few different things over the past couple of days.  I made Mahi Mahi with Red Pepper-Avocado Salsa and Spicy Cauliflower Puree.  And Cuban Avocado Watercress and Pineapple Salad (without the sugar on the pineapple).   And I made up a batch of Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage and Spinach Hash for breakfast, but I took out my sausage and looked at the label and there was sugar!  I really thought I scoured all the sausage options before I chose it, and I was convinced it was compliant when I bought it.  So into the freezer it went, and out came ground veal. 

Today's meals:

B'fast - Skillet Sweet Potato, Ground Veal and Spinach Hash with 1 fried egg, 1/4 avocado and steamed green beans with ghee

Lunch - Leftover veal meatloaf, huge salad with pomegranate balsamic and olive oil

Dinner - Leftover Mahi Mahi or maybe I'll attempt the Spice-Rubbed Seared Tuna Steak with Balsamic Reduction. 

It's almost 90 here today with a super high humidity.  Not a happy camper.  All the curtains are drawn trying to keep it cool inside.  Last thing I want to do is heat it up inside.  I don't have my a/c's installed, and I can't do it myself because my back isn't healed enough yet.  However at p/t today I started doing ladder drills to get my legs ready to start running.  My p/t said just because the surgeon will give me the okay on Friday, doesn't mean I'm ready to go.  I told her she was seriously trying my patience, but I need to do this the right way.  I don't want to have another back surgery :-}

I'm glad to see, though sad to see? that I am not the only one who's sugar dragon is still attacking sometimes. I am definitely needing the longer whole30 that I will be doing.

My baby still isn't sleeping great, but better, and so am I, and I can feel it. Yesterday I felt like my whole body was zinging, begging me to go run or do something super active. I had to disappoint it by just doing chores. Told myself though that I would jump on the treadmill when the baby was down for a nap today to let that energy loose. I did, and I jogged, which felt AMAZING. I don't jog, or run. I am a power walker when I am active, which is like never lately. So two minutes in my lungs were SCREAMING at in me in pain haha, oops, so I slowed to a power walk and did intervals. Hubs said we will go walking together each night when the littlest kids are in bed (our oldest can guard the house while we stroll the neighborhood) so that we can improve our heart and lung capacity. I am only 32 for Pete's sake haha.

I have been cooking one meal for my entire family the last 3 nights, tonight is #4. Here is what happened:

Saturday: garlic shrimp over zucc noodles topped with romesco sauce. One of my kiddos eyes bugged out in panic with shrimp in his mouth that my hubs would not allow him to spit out haha.

Sunday: chicken cacciatore. Made 2 pans for the 7 of us, not a scrap of chicken left. Kids loved munching the chicken legs like they were Vikings.

Monday: Classic chili. Most ate it, some kiddos had 2nds and 3rds. One wouldn't touch it.

Tonight is chicken chowder. The meals aren't that much different then what I usually prepare for them, just all the processed carb fillers missing and more veggies.

M1 egg scramble with mushrooms, roasted red peppers, onion. bosc pear

M2 left over classic chili, celery with almond butter, orange slices

M3 chicken chowder

I am so tired of cooking though, I really need to chop all the veggies ahead of time for a few meals to make the process less consuming.

Amandamarievth, would love your baba ganoush recipe or where to find it...thxs

I am super sad that the recipe was a bust! I let the flavors meld overnight and the next day the texture was just wrong, the flavor was way over lemony. It was a recipe from food.com that I found that had amazing reviews and I obviously screwed up because I usually like baba ganoush and thought it would be nice since hummus was out. I am afraid to waste another egg plant trying again.

• Moderators

I am super sad that the recipe was a bust! I let the flavors meld overnight and the next day the texture was just wrong, the flavor was way over lemony. It was a recipe from food.com that I found that had amazing reviews and I obviously screwed up because I usually like baba ganoush and thought it would be nice since hummus was out. I am afraid to waste another egg plant trying again.

Try this recipe from The Clothes Make The Girl -- I haven't had a whole lot of baba ganoush in my life, but I liked this recipe, and it held up pretty well for two or three days for my leftovers.

Yikes! Realized I hadn't checked in in a while and thought I should let you all know that I'm here and still at it. Still planning to continue this through the month of June as well. I've been seriously prioritizing sleep, and have started taking a probiotic each day as well as Betaine HCl with Pepsin before each meal, all of which is really helping with my digestion. And I'm definitely feeling a shift in that I don't feel the need to record my meals because it's just starting to feel natural to eat this way -- "nothing special." 

claws is still here.......Evaluation time at work and trying to get them all done.  Studying for a ASQ CQIA certification exam.  Test date is right around the corner and I'm not totally prepared for it.  Staying compliant with Whole30; but I too am sick and tired of cooking.

Stay strong everyone....stay strong..

Still here and going strong! Although today my energy was really low - as usual this month. Low energy blah. Blah. Blaaaaaahhhhh.

But at least my SD is at bay and my pants feel a little looser. I'm doing yoga almost every day, but my 30 day yoga commitment went down the drain. I need to do it first thing in morning after a big glass of lemon water  or I'll let it go. 

Today I had lots of eggs. 

M1 2 eggs, sausage

M2 salad with all greens from garden :) bacon, carrot, hb egg, cranberries, a bit of fried cod, oo and lemon

M3 2 scrambled eggs

Eggs are easy. And good. I hope the chicken flu in the midwest is getting under control. Prices here aren't much affected yet. Should stock up on eggs. 

First thing I'm reintroduicng is NUTS. Mac nuts, cashews and almonds. CAN:T WAIT!

Day 27!

Still here, and as others have said, my meals are feeling repetitive, but compliant, so I'm not listing them out anymore.

I really need to get into a habit again of precooking and making a giant batch of breakfast food. This sweet potato hash sounds good! I am always in a rush in the morning and never had great breakfasts anymore.

thank you ShannonM816 for the link to the babaganosh, I am going to try it.

This afternoon I tried the recipe for ketchup from "WELL FED 2", called "Kickass Ketchup", we are having hamburgers tonight and I wanted to be able to put ketchup on mine.  Naturally I won't use a bun but will "dress it" as we say here in the south between 2 large lettuce leaves.   It is not bad, of course not Heinz ketchup, which I used to put on corn, potatoes, any thing.  I'm so trash!!!!!  Anyway it is not too bad, I would probably not use the cinnamon, cloves and allspice in the recipe next time.

Today is Day 27 and I feel good, I am going to extend my 30 days and I am going to try not to weigh myself.  The scale is such a trigger for me and affects my feelings about myself.  My clothes fit looser, that is good for me.   I asked my husband if I looked different since I started the program and typical him said "I looked less sugary"  A friend of mine told me this morning that she did not recognize me at the gym.  She said my body looks  different..

We can do this, I like this program

Day 28, last night for the first time I had a dream about packaged cookies.  That isn't even my trigger food, very interesting.

I am noticing the difference between true hunger and eating out of emotion. Yesterday I found myself wanting to eat out of emotion for the first time since I started the program. Funny how it is coming out at the end.

Okay guys, I'm starting to stress out a little bit and need to vent, cause I just want to binge eat so I don't have to think of all the stresses.  I know it does not compare to other people's problems, but stress is stress.

my 23 yr old daughter is coming home to visit and bringing her boyfriend in a week.  He's a great guy, but he's never been here before and of course I see all the yucky things in my house.   My husband is turning 60 at the same time and I'm trying to have something special for him  

Lastly and I think this really is the one that stresses me out if truth be told.  I'm cleaning out my closet today and looking at clothes I use to wear 20 years ago and see how cute and little they are. I have lost a lot of weight and feel really good about myself, but then when I see how much bigger I am than those clothes, it drives me to want to fall into the solace of food..

I haven't been this tempted since I started May 1st, so this is a tough one, but I am just going to breathe with it and believe I can conquer this...

Thank you guys for being there and knowing what I am going through

Archived