Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Okay here I go again, I promise the last for today.  I finally figured out how to post a picture...YEAH!!!!!!!!!  More important I took the plunge and listed my age.  I was hesitant when I first joined as I was fearful that you all would think I am too old and not take me serious, (is that even grammatically correct)?   I feel as if I'm still 17 inside so I really don't relate to being 62, it sounds ancient.   Lastly I changed my user name  from jhalpern2 to chillyjilly.  Just trying to keep it real

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey jhalpern - more power to you! Take it one day at a time. I'm working on seeing triggers and challenges as opportunities to clarify what I want for myself and face head on any and all obstacles with resolve. Certain people and situations can really challenge my resolve so I find that a gentle detachment is helpful with the tough ones. 

Situations like next week's potluck where I'll be finished with this W30 and so tempted to have some wine and chocolate and cheeeeese. There will be people there who don't know I'm not drinking who will offer me wine, bless their hearts. I will politely decline and pour me some kombucha instead. My resolve is this:  stay away from the wine and chocolate. My resolve is to say Yes to one helping of a small amount of cheese the size of my palm, scrumptious homemade paleo bread and pulled pork and roasted veggies and maybe even mashed potatoes. I'm bringing homemade kombucha to the potluck. That'll be my wine.

I also continue to wake up to what is going on in my head when I'm feeling like eating something naughty, which can actually feed a negative state of being. Most often I'm feeling: lonely, tired, self-pity, angry, worried, scared. When I acknowledge what I'm feeling it's like a little light-bulb shining on... oh! I'm feeling this. What thoughts are causing this feeling? Are these thoughts real? Most of the time they're not... I often have arguments in my head when no one else is in the room. It's crazy. 99% of the time, what's going on right now is quite nice and peaceful. 

So yesterday I had two big salads, which tasted and felt great until my gut started bloating. I read up on salads and SIBO and any kind of raw veggie, even lettuce, should be kept to a minimum. That really sucks. So today I've been feeling bloated and bitchy. And thus wanting to eat. But then I sat still and acknowledged what was going on with me, softened up a bit and continued on with the day. One of my thoughts I've become aware of in my bitchy moments is "this is futile." Well, if I'm gonna believe that, then sure, what's the effing point? Might as well eat a whole cake. However, that thought, "this is futile," is a BIG FAT LIE. I'm just not buying into it anymore.

Just TWO DAYS LEFT! I'm prepping for nut reintro. :) 

Guys....

I am here to fess up. I broke some rules yesterday :(

Long story short I started a new job this week and have stayed late every day... I had been managing with late dinners and probably fewer veggies. Finally yesterday I was at work till about 10pm with lots of pizza, cake, cookies in sight, and starving.

So I made a decision and had corn chips with compliant salsa, and guac. Though I am not proud at all and feel I should have just sucked it up, I am proud at not having cake, cookies and pizza and recognizing that they would have made me feel awful. I am considering this as my day 1 reintroduction of non gluten grains. I will keep on being compliant now and in about a week or so might introduce another food group.

So while I do feel like a let down, I don't think it was a total failure. I messed up reintroductions on my 2 prior whole 30s by diving straight into pizza and I REFUSE TO LET THAT HAPPEN. I am also somewhat proud that it was not difficult to refuse the rest of the junk food. Lesson learned again... always always have compliant food around :(

Alert: I'm a big whiny baby today - a little pile of negativity over here.

Ugh. I just want it to be over already!  I'm feeling so discouraged about how I'm feeling.  Physically, I feel fine.  I'm just so tired of cooking.  And prepping.  And feeling like I can't go anywhere unless I'm ready with food at home so that if I come home late, I have compliant food ready and waiting.  And restaurants... I miss restaurants!  I feel chained to my house. 

I also feel like to do this without getting sick to death of the same old food, I need to quit my job so that I have ample time to prep and CLEAN UP FROM ALL THE DA$N COOKING!!!  The dishes... Lord, the constant pile of dishes. 

I can't tell you how annoyed I am that I am THIS close to being done with the Whole 30 and THIS is how I'm feeling.  Last night I wanted nothing more than to say "28 days is just as good as 30!" so I could go out to eat.  My mom was in town and she was out eating with my sister and I couldn't go.  I thought I'd feel celebratory at this point, like "yeah, look at me, I'm almost there" and instead I feel like I'm dragging myself to the finish line.  Not dragging physically but mentally.  Physically, I feel good.  Good energy most of the time.  Solid sleep.  My cravings have been under control.  My desire to be done isn't so that I can run out and eat ice cream - I just want to lessen the rigidity.  I've come to hate the word "compliant."  (although speaking of compliant - I finally found some compliant bacon this week and - YUM!!! Totally replacing my old bacon with this going forward)

I'm going out of town this weekend and I'm dreading how I'm going to manage to stay compliant for the end of this. I have to figure out how to eat for both Saturday and Sunday (even though Saturday is the end, I don't want to blow reintro by eating a ton of off-plan items on Sunday). I feel overwhelmed by how to get through the next couple of days.  We live busy lives - like all of us - and this last week we relied on meat to get us through more than I'd have liked and I don't want to spend this whole weekend doing that too.  So I feel like I have to go home tonight and cook several compliant dishes to bring on the road with me. Which means we won't get on the road on time.  Which adds to my stress...

oh, I'm just so whiny right now I can hardly stand myself! 

Thanks for your post HappyYogini.  I too am feeling blah, and have for the past couple of days.  I had an iffy night on Wednesday and I am so ready for no dietary restrictions.  Last night I was craving - something - I don't even know what exactly (I can't remember now, but it was pretty darn strong at the time).  I am sick to death of prepping food.  And I haven't been great, so at the last minute I have to hustle to make something.  I really really thought I'd be feeling very different during this W30, and am terribly disappointed and discouraged.  I'm trying to reassure myself that I have learned a few things about my food relationship, but then I say "eh, so what, like you really care...".  I simply do not have the money to make this journey as enjoyable as it was the first two times.  I can't afford variety in my food.  I can't afford organic anymore.  I can't afford ethically and sustainably raised meat.  Meh.  I'm eating stuff I would consider crap, but I dress it up in W30 spices and prep.  Such lack of enthusiasm and such a debby-downer.  I know I will do this again soon, and hopefully my attitude will be improved.

Question for moderator - is sunflower lecithin compliant?  The only calcium-fortified milk I could find that didn't have carrageenan is Silk's Cashew milk, but it has sunflower lecithin.  My luck it will be deemed non-compliant and I will feel like this time was completely useless. 

I do have good news to report though.  Went for my 12-week post-op visit, and all restrictions are lifted!  She even said she thinks I could run a half-marathon next year.  (Although she's only the PA, and I will see the surgeon in 3 weeks).  Now THAT made me feel good!

So turns out my body wants to be all PMS symptoms when I ovulate now a days. That is charming. I was bloated and headachey and retaining water and like- what the heck? Then it dawned on me that I was likely ovulating. Sure enough, two days later I wake up (this morning) and the bloat and water retention is gone, thank goodness. It was making me miserable, made me want to eat my feelings because I was miserable.

I completely relate to you all about the cooking and food preparation. I stay home with my 5 kiddos, and am usually super organized and have meals on the calendar a week or two out, everything runs smooth and within budget. Lately I find myself not getting dinner on the table until almost 7pm some nights instead of my usual between 5-6, that is pretty late for kids to eat! Anyhow, my point is I signed up for the 14 day trial of emeals, the Paleo for Families version. I hope it keeps me eating well with my family and now dreading my dinner planning and shopping list anymore like I have this month. Relieve me of trying to find creative meals, I am hoping it is worth it.

CAMPING!? We are going camping while on an extended whole30! Camping as a family for 5 days, plus 3 days of travel. I am completely procrastinating meal prep for this.

I went to a baby shower last night, even though I heard the words chocolate fondue and cheese fondue I never even looked at them. My eyes are drawn to the brightly colored fruits and veggies and ignore the breads and cakes and mac n cheese bake. Felt good to not even be tempted by the other stuff.

Here is today:

Meal1: 3 egg scramble with onion, broccoli, roasted red pepper. Blueberries. Black coffee

Meal2: left over pulled pork carnitas with homemade guac and green cabbage slaw

Meal3: chicken stir fry with curry sauce

I have tried quite a few meals from the whole30 book and been pleasantly surprised by how delicious they are! Makes the work worth it, sort of :)

We are all staying together when this is over, right? Through the extensions and reintroductions?

• Administrators

Question for moderator - is sunflower lecithin compliant?  The only calcium-fortified milk I could find that didn't have carrageenan is Silk's Cashew milk, but it has sunflower lecithin.  My luck it will be deemed non-compliant and I will feel like this time was completely useless. 

Sunflower lecithin would be alright.  Do note though that we strongly discourage drinking nutmilks as a sub for standard dairy.  Are you drinking it or just putting it in your coffee/cooking with it?

Actually I'm doing it for the calcium, because I had a spinal fusion and need calcium.  I did break down and buy a supplement, but I thought calcium was better absorbed from a food source.  I have about 6 oz 3-4 times a week.  And I have calcium fortified orange juice - about 4 oz at breakfast.  Had post-op visit today, and they said the fusion looks good and they could see some early bone formation around the hardware.

OMG, you guys are so great.  I love reading your posts, I love the whinning, the debbie downing, the "kvetching".  It is so real and we all seem to be going through it at the same time.    GIRL POWER!!!!!!!!!!!

What I noticed even though we have all these negative thoughts, we are still willing to be as "compliant" (sick of the word as well) as possible.

Went to a wedding last night and ate what was good for me and focused on "sober dancing"

everyone posting seems to be choosing healthy, even though you think you are miserable.  Just think how bad it would be if you binged out.

Okay "Pollyanna" will stop speaking

• Administrators

Had post-op visit today, and they said the fusion looks good and they could see some early bone formation around the hardware.

Oh, that is superb news!  I was wondering if you would share how your fusion was going, so glad to hear good things, I know you've been so concerned!

Happy Friday to YOU!

Okay guys, I'm starting to stress out a little bit and need to vent, cause I just want to binge eat so I don't have to think of all the stresses.  I know it does not compare to other people's problems, but stress is stress.

my 23 yr old daughter is coming home to visit and bringing her boyfriend in a week.  He's a great guy, but he's never been here before and of course I see all the yucky things in my house.   My husband is turning 60 at the same time and I'm trying to have something special for him  

Lastly and I think this really is the one that stresses me out if truth be told.  I'm cleaning out my closet today and looking at clothes I use to wear 20 years ago and see how cute and little they are. I have lost a lot of weight and feel really good about myself, but then when I see how much bigger I am than those clothes, it drives me to want to fall into the solace of food..

I haven't been this tempted since I started May 1st, so this is a tough one, but I am just going to breathe with it and believe I can conquer this...

Thank you guys for being there and knowing what I am going through

chillyjilly:  Live in the moment...Let the past stay in the past and don't project into the future.  ..Continue to concentrate on the personal progress that you've made.  "You are striving towards better days ahead" and YES you can conquer ANYTHING.... :D

I do have good news to report though.  Went for my 12-week post-op visit, and all restrictions are lifted!  She even said she thinks I could run a half-marathon next year.  (Although she's only the PA, and I will see the surgeon in 3 weeks).  Now THAT made me feel good!

That's GREAT news lori_vt.... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D 

So turns out my body wants to be all PMS symptoms when I ovulate now a days. That is charming. I was bloated and headachey and retaining water and like- what the heck? Then it dawned on me that I was likely ovulating. Sure enough, two days later I wake up (this morning) and the bloat and water retention is gone, thank goodness. It was making me miserable, made me want to eat my feelings because I was miserable.

I completely relate to you all about the cooking and food preparation. I stay home with my 5 kiddos, and am usually super organized and have meals on the calendar a week or two out, everything runs smooth and within budget. Lately I find myself not getting dinner on the table until almost 7pm some nights instead of my usual between 5-6, that is pretty late for kids to eat! Anyhow, my point is I signed up for the 14 day trial of emeals, the Paleo for Families version. I hope it keeps me eating well with my family and now dreading my dinner planning and shopping list anymore like I have this month. Relieve me of trying to find creative meals, I am hoping it is worth it.

CAMPING!? We are going camping while on an extended whole30! Camping as a family for 5 days, plus 3 days of travel. I am completely procrastinating meal prep for this.

I went to a baby shower last night, even though I heard the words chocolate fondue and cheese fondue I never even looked at them. My eyes are drawn to the brightly colored fruits and veggies and ignore the breads and cakes and mac n cheese bake. Felt good to not even be tempted by the other stuff.

Here is today:

Meal1: 3 egg scramble with onion, broccoli, roasted red pepper. Blueberries. Black coffee

Meal2: left over pulled pork carnitas with homemade guac and green cabbage slaw

Meal3: chicken stir fry with curry sauce

I have tried quite a few meals from the whole30 book and been pleasantly surprised by how delicious they are! Makes the work worth it, sort of :)

We are all staying together when this is over, right? Through the extensions and reintroductions?

amandamarievth:  I use the emeals, Paleo for Families version and find it quite useful. Whenever a recipe calls for honey or something that's not Whole30 I just eliminate it.  My co-worker uses this same version and she's been quite happy with the majority of the recipes(she's not doing Whole30) with the exception of the casserole dishes.  She wasn't fond of them and therefore, I chose not to try them either.  Hopefully that won't be the case for you. 

I miss pyrotek....

My daughter and 2 yr old granddaughter came over so my daughter could mow my lawn (it hasn't been mowed since last fall and was almost 2' high!) and clean my gutters.  I made them dinner :)  It was Meatloaf Cupcakes with Sweet Potato Frosting {this recipe http://www.janssushibar.com/meatloaf-cupcakes-sweet-potato-frosting/ subbed ghee for butter, used homemade Mrs. Dash and homemade ketchup}, roasted carrots and beets, and steamed broccoli.  She loved the meal, and I did too - first time for this recipe.  My granddaughter only had some broccoli and the roasted veggies.  I've been looking at the recipe for a year, thinking it would be too time intensive, but it wasn't, and the little cupcake meatloaves were delicious. 

I changed into my relaxing clothes, and noticed that my stomach still looks bloated and feels yucky.  What is up??  I had a large sardine and arugula salad for lunch and I've had it many times before - never had a problem.  This morning was the skillet sweet potato hash breakfast dish that I've had all week.  I don't get it.  Can't believe tomorrow is Day 30.  In some ways it feels like Day 3 and some ways like day 300.  I wish my body felt better.

Actually I'm doing it for the calcium, because I had a spinal fusion and need calcium.  I did break down and buy a supplement, but I thought calcium was better absorbed from a food source.  I have about 6 oz 3-4 times a week.  And I have calcium fortified orange juice - about 4 oz at breakfast.  Had post-op visit today, and they said the fusion looks good and they could see some early bone formation around the hardware.

Yay Lori! Great to hear your fusion is working!! I wanted to comment on tummy issues and bloating -- for a long time I couldn't figure out why I bloated and had painful gas/pain in stomach area until I was diagnosed with SIBO. My doc put me on the low FODMAP diet, which nixes fave foods like sweet potatoes, cauliflower, avocado, beets and broccoli (I can have both but only a small amount). Thank GODDESS I can have eggplant. No garlic though -- or onion. MWAH!  You might want to get tested for SIBO. It is curable and I am getting better. But still not out of the woods yet. Another round of herbal remedies, maybe even antibiotics, and another month of being really strict - then just conscious, mindful eating for the rest of my sweet life. 

I had a KICK reading all of your awesomely debbie downing - HAH!

Booksandcoffee - You ROCK! So what about the friggin' corn chips. You made it this far and stayed away from that other crap. Just get right back on track. Just treat yourself right.

Chillywilly - YEAH PollyAnna (look at the maid roll her eyes)! Sober dancing sounds fun. I sometimes go ecstatic dancing on Sundays - not really my thing, but sometimes it just feels right. GO GIRL!

I still feel like a whineybutt but a bit better today. Watered the garden this morning and that brought me a bit out of my doldrums. Then I fell right back into feeling BITCHY AS HELL after work and almost ordered noncompliant chicken wings. I wanted chicken wings. I was hungry, tired and hemorrhoidal taboot and it just sucks. Ice helps. BUT instead of letting it draaaaag me into ruining the last two days of this W30, which I must say I am SO ready for it to be done, I went to New Seasons and bought a nice couple pounds of chicken wings on sale and made my own. They're so easy and fast and gooood. Also made my own babaganoush minus the garlic - still VERY tasty. And had a big glass of kombucha. I feel better now. 

Thanks for all the honesty and awesome shares everyone. Tomorrow tomorrow there's always tomorrow..... and it's the last effing day a day awaaaaay.

:):D

Happy Day 31 everyone!!  Whew.  I broke down last night and had a mini beer on Day 30.  I didn't want to have it on the day before work, so I embibed last night around 5.  I can live with that.  Everything else about my day was compliant, and I actually wasn't cranky.  I did a little gardening, washed the dog AND washed the car (the one I'm going to sell), changed my sheets, made hummingbird nectar and vacuumed!  My back was sore, but not bad enough for tylenol.  I really don't want to start taking NSAIDs again (not permitted in first 12 weeks post-fusion).  Since my back is fixed, I should not need to take them regularly.  YAY!!

So this morning I decided to re-introduce dairy, because I've been craving a creemee (ice cream) or gelato.  I made bacon (so happy to have bacon back!), sweet potato, onion, jalapeno and a whole small zucchini with 2 eggs and a small wedge of avocado.  I added two small slices of cheddar cheese.  We'll see how that sits before I take on the ice cream. 

As I was thinking and planning my dairy re-intro, I wondered if anyone had started a thread on the re-intro page - since we're all buddies now ;)  And I realized that a large group of folks are going on for a W60.  I thought I'd start a Jump in June W60, but I'm not sure I'm up for that over the summer - maybe towards the end.  

I got on the scale this morning sort of as a confirmation [that this W30 hasn't been remarkable], and lo and behold, I lost a few pounds.  Not sure where they dropped from, since my pants are no looser, but I interpret it to mean I was doing better than I felt.  I have no desire to get back on the scale - couldn't really care about the pounds.  It's more about how I feel and how my clothes fit.   

Yeah we are done, but I pigged out a little with peanut butter on a slice of homemade bread.  I couldn't help myself, I tripped and my mouth fell on the slice of bread with the peanut butter.  I decided I am going to continue the whole 30 into more time.  I can see how I am easily not ready to get off the wagon and I can slip back into old habits.  Luckily I was able to stop after the bread and a few mouthfuls of chicken with non compliant bbq sauce.  Oh yeah about 10 small famous amos cookies.  

I refuse to feel like a failure for doing exactly what they said not to do on the 30th day email.  I effed up but  I put my big girl panties on,brushed myself off and am beginning again NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I learned I am just not ready to do it on my own for now

I too am wondering where do we post ?

Congrats, everyone! We did it!

I'm going for another 30 days starting tomorrow. Not technically "breaking" it today, except that I weighed and took pictures. I only lost 3 pounds, but it's clear that my body is changing DRAMATICALLY -- totally get why the scale is eliminated during the 30 days. I think I may get rid of it all together.

Anyone else deciding to keep going? I'm planning to try the AIP protocol (plus, no onions) for at least the first 10 days just to see... I'm nervous I'll get super bored for more than that, but if it's making me feel better, I'll stick with it.

I'll be traveling starting June 30, so I'll have to be very thoughtful about reintro...

So, can all of us that are still going and reintroducing just stay on this thread? Seems so much easier haha. I don't want to break up!!! ;)

I finished my first whole30! Though I am going to continue, because I want to support my husband who started on my day 12, and have had some sugar dragon issues. So I am looking at another 15 days at least.

BUT I decided to weigh myself today. I have a scale that does body fat %, and while I know the scale itself is likely inaccurate, I read that the comparison from one measurement to another on the same scale should be accurate. Here are my results:

Weight: down 8.4lbs

Body Fat %: down 4% currently 24%!

BMI: down 1.4 to 21.9

Non scale victories:

No more 3pm slump! This is so great considering my life really picks up after 3 pm juggling kids activities and getting dinner on the table

Depression: One of my big hopes was that the whole30 (that is supposed to be great at reducing chronic inflammatory related stuff) would help with my depression. I went off anti depressants 7 mos ago, I was on them for post partum depression, but I could still feel it, and could see it's effects on me. I already feel like the weight of depression is being lifted from my shoulders, it is lovely.

I have been saving a gift card to a clothing store that I got for Christmas. I will finally get to use it for some summer clothes before we go camping in two weeks. I refused to use it before because I wouldn't accept my body in the state it was in (filled with sugar and sadness).

I was talking to my hubs today and a local gym had an advertisement- $29/mo with no contract and TONS of fitness classes that would work with my schedule (and free daycare if I sleep in and have to take the kids!). I just really want to do some pilates, yoga, and a small amount of strength training to tone and tighten my slimmed down, more energetic body. I want to be strong again! I enjoy the camaraderie of group fitness classes, no way I would just show up and use the machines, but usually gyms are too expensive, don't have a schedule that works for me, or cost a fortune for child care.

amandamarievth:  I use the emeals, Paleo for Families version and find it quite useful. Whenever a recipe calls for honey or something that's not Whole30 I just eliminate it.  My co-worker uses this same version and she's been quite happy with the majority of the recipes(she's not doing Whole30) with the exception of the casserole dishes.  She wasn't fond of them and therefore, I chose not to try them either.  Hopefully that won't be the case for you. 

I miss pyrotek....

Thank you for the heads up on the casseroles! I really despise making food that doesn't taste good. So much wasted money and effort.

Okay, so my lunch wouldn't really classify as a meal.  I had a Fage 2% yogurt and lots of cherries along with a big tablespoon of almond butter.  But I have a great dinner planned :)  veal t-bone with steamed baby spinach and mashed sweet potato.  And a bit of gelato.

If anyone wants to follow along in the post-W30 log, I used the same name to keep it simple.  That way we can post what we're eating without making it tough on the folks who are continuing on.  Here's the link: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27961-spring-into-may-post-whole-30-log/

After I read your post Chillyjilly I realized that I have never done a "proper" re-intro.  I simply had no willpower and fell head-first into everything I couldn't have.  Didn't stop to ask myself if I wanted it.  In fact, in the moment I probably would've said YES.  But this time, I asked myself if I actually wanted it instead of indulging just because I could.  This is very different for me.  Progress I would say!!  :D
I am really hoping I can continue to do the re-intro as suggested.  After all it's just food.  It will be there later if I still want it.  (I seriously can't believe I'm saying this.  Something definitely changed this time). 

Tomorrow I'm going to check my bodyfat on my scale.  I didn't do it this morning, mostly because the algorithm in the scale is very unkind to older women who are fit.  My bodyfat isn't as low as when I was training and competing, but it's surely not above 25%.  The scale asks for gender, height and age, and then computes bodyfat and weight.  If I enter my age correctly as 55, it says I have 32% bf, but if I enter my age as 35, my bf drops to 25%.  Obviously my gender, height and weight didn't change in 20 seconds.  I know as we age, we carry more bodyfat, but if I were to use the calipers, I know it wouldn't be 32%.  So I'll check it just for sh**s and giggles.

My daughter and 2 yr old granddaughter came over so my daughter could mow my lawn (it hasn't been mowed since last fall and was almost 2' high!) and clean my gutters.  I made them dinner :)  It was Meatloaf Cupcakes with Sweet Potato Frosting {this recipe http://www.janssushibar.com/meatloaf-cupcakes-sweet-potato-frosting/ subbed ghee for butter, used homemade Mrs. Dash and homemade ketchup}, roasted carrots and beets, and steamed broccoli.  She loved the meal, and I did too - first time for this recipe.  My granddaughter only had some broccoli and the roasted veggies.  I've been looking at the recipe for a year, thinking it would be too time intensive, but it wasn't, and the little cupcake meatloaves were delicious. 

I changed into my relaxing clothes, and noticed that my stomach still looks bloated and feels yucky.  What is up??  I had a large sardine and arugula salad for lunch and I've had it many times before - never had a problem.  This morning was the skillet sweet potato hash breakfast dish that I've had all week.  I don't get it.  Can't believe tomorrow is Day 30.  In some ways it feels like Day 3 and some ways like day 300.  I wish my body felt better.

Hi lori_vt, I'm going to give this recipe a try.  Thanks for sharing.

Okay, so my lunch wouldn't really classify as a meal.  I had a Fage 2% yogurt and lots of cherries along with a big tablespoon of almond butter.  But I have a great dinner planned :)  veal t-bone with steamed baby spinach and mashed sweet potato.  And a bit of gelato.

If anyone wants to follow along in the post-W30 log, I used the same name to keep it simple.  That way we can post what we're eating without making it tough on the folks who are continuing on.  Here's the link: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27961-spring-into-may-post-whole-30-log/

After I read your post Chillyjilly I realized that I have never done a "proper" re-intro.  I simply had no willpower and fell head-first into everything I couldn't have.  Didn't stop to ask myself if I wanted it.  In fact, in the moment I probably would've said YES.  But this time, I asked myself if I actually wanted it instead of indulging just because I could.  This is very different for me.  Progress I would say!!  :D

I am really hoping I can continue to do the re-intro as suggested.  After all it's just food.  It will be there later if I still want it.  (I seriously can't believe I'm saying this.  Something definitely changed this time). 

Tomorrow I'm going to check my bodyfat on my scale.  I didn't do it this morning, mostly because the algorithm in the scale is very unkind to older women who are fit.  My bodyfat isn't as low as when I was training and competing, but it's surely not above 25%.  The scale asks for gender, height and age, and then computes bodyfat and weight.  If I enter my age correctly as 55, it says I have 32% bf, but if I enter my age as 35, my bf drops to 25%.  Obviously my gender, height and weight didn't change in 20 seconds.  I know as we age, we carry more bodyfat, but if I were to use the calipers, I know it wouldn't be 32%.  So I'll check it just for sh**s and giggles.

That is completely weird that it makes that big of a change dependent on age! I had read that the scales are pretty inaccurate, but if you are using the same scale to measure changes, the changes would be accurate. Didn't know they could be that grossly inaccurate!

Congrats, everyone! We did it!

I'm going for another 30 days starting tomorrow. Not technically "breaking" it today, except that I weighed and took pictures. I only lost 3 pounds, but it's clear that my body is changing DRAMATICALLY -- totally get why the scale is eliminated during the 30 days. I think I may get rid of it all together.

Anyone else deciding to keep going? I'm planning to try the AIP protocol (plus, no onions) for at least the first 10 days just to see... I'm nervous I'll get super bored for more than that, but if it's making me feel better, I'll stick with it.

I'll be traveling starting June 30, so I'll have to be very thoughtful about reintro...

So, can all of us that are still going and reintroducing just stay on this thread? Seems so much easier haha. I don't want to break up!!! ;)

I finished my first whole30! Though I am going to continue, because I want to support my husband who started on my day 12, and have had some sugar dragon issues. So I am looking at another 15 days at least.

BUT I decided to weigh myself today. I have a scale that does body fat %, and while I know the scale itself is likely inaccurate, I read that the comparison from one measurement to another on the same scale should be accurate. Here are my results:

Weight: down 8.4lbs

Body Fat %: down 4% currently 24%!

BMI: down 1.4 to 21.9

Non scale victories:

No more 3pm slump! This is so great considering my life really picks up after 3 pm juggling kids activities and getting dinner on the table

Depression: One of my big hopes was that the whole30 (that is supposed to be great at reducing chronic inflammatory related stuff) would help with my depression. I went off anti depressants 7 mos ago, I was on them for post partum depression, but I could still feel it, and could see it's effects on me. I already feel like the weight of depression is being lifted from my shoulders, it is lovely.

I have been saving a gift card to a clothing store that I got for Christmas. I will finally get to use it for some summer clothes before we go camping in two weeks. I refused to use it before because I wouldn't accept my body in the state it was in (filled with sugar and sadness).

I was talking to my hubs today and a local gym had an advertisement- $29/mo with no contract and TONS of fitness classes that would work with my schedule (and free daycare if I sleep in and have to take the kids!). I just really want to do some pilates, yoga, and a small amount of strength training to tone and tighten my slimmed down, more energetic body. I want to be strong again! I enjoy the camaraderie of group fitness classes, no way I would just show up and use the machines, but usually gyms are too expensive, don't have a schedule that works for me, or cost a fortune for child care.

Yippe Hooray Everyone.. Congratulations......

Alaya and amandamarievth, I am going to continue for a little while longer.... I want to do the re-intro with a functional medicine practitioner as I've had a lot of gastrointestional issues prior to starting Whole30 back on March 1st. I am working on putting the cost of the office visit fees into my budget and researching which practitioner would be a good fit for me.  I must say that I feel so much better now that I've taken out all of the non-compliant foods.  I'm not scheduled for an official weigh-in until June 14th.  My employer is giving away $250.00 to anyone who can get their BMI below 25.   I don't particularly like the BMI measurement; much prefer the BF% measurement.;but for $250.00 I'll weigh in each month and work on getting that number down; hopefully not at the expensive of losing muscle though... :)   I did however get on my bathroom scale and it said that I had lost 5 lbs.  Whoop Whoop.   :)

Again...Congratulations everyone...

amandamarievth I like your idea of....of all of us staying on this thread regardless of whether we're continuing and/or doing the reintro... Count me in. 

I am in the process of doing a major cook up today... 

• Boiled Eggs
  • Stuffed Napa Cabbage Rolls
  • Roasted Chicken Breasts
  • Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard in Balsamic Vinegar saute
  • Napa Cabbage Stir Fry
  • Collard Greens
  • Almost 5 ingredient Spaghetti Squash Pizza Pie
  • Italian Style Beef with Green and Red Peppers
  • Mild Italian Chicken Sausage from Whole Foods (all compliant ingredients)

Items defrosting in the fridge for later this week.

• Chicken Thighs
  • Chicken Drumsticks
  • Korean Short Ribs

Will have to make a run to the store for more veggies....

That is completely weird that it makes that big of a change dependent on age! I had read that the scales are pretty inaccurate, but if you are using the same scale to measure changes, the changes would be accurate. Didn't know they could be that grossly inaccurate!

You should test it out yourself!  Put in your age as 15 years younger, and see what you get.  And then try putting in your age as 20 years older.  It's ridiculous.  At least my scale is...

Archived