Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

I'm doing it, starting May 1. I've done one and 3/4 W30s and this is my third. Thanks to Ladyshanny and Meadowlilly for coaxing me into doing this again in May. These forums really help. Whole 30 has done wonders for my gut and wellbeing in general.. If you're thinking of doing a W30 in May, take the plunge, make the commitment and join me! 

Hello stranger! Yes, count me in. I haven't stopped since the last group we were in. I have actually lost track of days. I am still battling with dome aches and pains. I believe due to menopause. Otherwise I feel great and have no desire to add anything. I still need the support and accountability.

Did you reintroduce any foods? And if so, how did it go?

I am the same way!!! 30 days is JUST the point where I start feeling in control.. I'm aiming for a whole60-90.

Count me in as well....

bronnyd, its good to see that you are getting back into the swing of things.  Like pryotek, I haven't stopped since the last group we all were in. I have 60 days under my belt, with today being the beginning of day 61.  I am finally sleeping 6 to 8 hours a night and waking up refreshed and not groggy.  Like pryotek I need the support and accountability.  Like so many others, I too am the only one in my family that has embarked on this journey; but I'm okay with it as I have each of you to lean on.  Looking forward to this being a Fun, Happy, Active thread...............

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Claws!! Good to see you in cyberspace again! :) YES it is so helpful to have others to keep us honest. Even though I've never met any of you prior W30ers in person, it's fun developing Whole30 friendship all the same. ... Maybe someday we can all rendezvous at some W30 convention - or somewhere else entirely -- like Cinque Terre, Italy ;) or the Grand Canyon. I've got a travel bug in me.  :wub:

Welcome newcomers! Today is a good day to finish prep for the first week. I like what Wholemama said to prep with easy foods until you have time on weekend to prep for next week.

I have time this morning/early aft to roast a chicken, and make chocolate chili, (no beans) - both very easy recipes - and already have planned my meals for tomorrow, which will include leftovers from tonight's kickstart, kickass, W30 compliant dinner of salmon with basil, lemon, rosemary and Tunisian roasted veggies minus the couscous and honey. Yes, I will be eating nuts, and perhaps going a bit nutty with nuts today, which are W30 compliant, but I'm removing nuts during this W30 for a rest and reintro in June.

Tim re quitting smoking too -- sometimes that kind of jump-start detox cleansing can really work since our mindset is gung ho -- and our bodies are so shot. That's how I quit smoking two decades ago - did a food detox and threw my cigs away. It was fairly easy for me though bec I was experiencing major hives, swollen joints and smoking only made it worse. So THAT said, I think what Wholemama said also makes sense - it's more realistic to try cutting cigs out slowly and focus on healthy eats and lots of water. Do what you think is best - this is all an exploration and a learning experience. Maybe try cold turkey no cigs for a week and see how it works for you. Just stay truly true to your Whole30 regimen and feel free to share what's going on in this forum. I find these forums are truly HUGE in keeping me on track.

OK, to the kitchen for an hour of prepping and cooking. 

I'm trying to figure out for what I'd need for two and a half days! We don't go grocery shipping until Sunday, and are hitting the farmer's market on Saturday morning, so I don't want to get too much at the store tonight. At least enough to hold me over!

I bought a dozen free range eggs off a coworker for $2! Sweet.

I also want to roast a whole bunch of veggies... what are your favorites? I love brussel sprouts.

Hey Wholemama!  It helps me to stock up on foods I eat daily for quick and easy meals

I stock up on things like mini bell peppers, bacon, eggs, kale, salad ings, eggs, basil, easy fish like salmon or dover sole. Also love eggplant and so many easy eggplant dishes like this one

Re roasted roots: brussel sprouts (yum), beets, carrots, garlic, turnip, radish, sweet potato with a little olive oil (oo) and rosemary

I am doing the plan starting Monday the 4th!!  Been tapering off the "bad" stuff for 2 weeks now and this weekend will be my last glass of wine for at least 30 days.  I was diagnosed with Scleroderma/Raynaud's almost 30 years ago.  I didn't believe it so I wouldn't take the steroids.  Now we know so much more about autoimmune diseases.  That most of them (if not all) are due to a leaky gut! And let's not even get into the stuff that can cause THAT!  I grew up in the carb generation.  Fat was bad, meat was bad so be a vegetarian and fill up on those whole grains and POTATOES (the worst)!  Now my metabolism is a mess, my endocrine system is waaaaaay out of whack and I have gained 130 lbs in the past 20 years.  Never in a million years did I imagine I would EVER be looking at gastric bypass surgery.  I played tennis 6 hours a day, snow skied, rollerbladed, backpacked, hiked, golfed 18 holes without a cart all at age 37-50!  Now i can barely bend over and tie my tennis shoes.  All that is going to change starting 30 days from now!  I WANT MY LIFE BACK and I don't want to have surgery to get it.  Today was my first day back at the gym in at least 15 years. Oh, yeh it was painful and I was huffing and puffing on that elliptical after 5 minutes but that isn't going to deter me from my goal. I may not ever wear a size 6 jeans again but by George I am not going to be morbidly obese and have to shop at Lame Bryant for the rest of my life!  Now it is MY time and I come FIRST!!! :ph34r: (Warrior pose)

Tomorrow, May 1st, I start my first Whole 30.  I've been eating about 80% clean for the last couple of weeks, so I am hoping it will ease the transition.  I have a group of friends online who are also doing it.  I have been reading the book to my husband, he's on board and we've been talking to our kids who have also decided to do it.  Tomorrow is a BIG day for our family and I am feeling at peace and ready for this change in our lives.

I did my first whole 30 in feb... I lost 10 lbs and felt pretty good. My doctor said lose 10 more .. Add veggies and cut down on the nuts and read meat. I took a month off and have another month before I i need to recheck my cholesterol which went up instead of down. I am not excited about doing it again but I am not very excited about life in general right now. I feel very stagnant. So why not ... Maybe it will actually help me feel better

I would like to join this group for motivation - I am not sure which day I will join, the 1st or second

I am still trying to get in the right mindset - any advice?

Thanks,

Carol

anewme...I'm reading the Whole30 book and I am about giddy with excitement as so much of it speaks to me and where I am at right now. The testimonials give me hope and something to look forward to.  I have pages marked so I can go to them when I need to refer back, or need inspiration...do you have the book?  

Hi everybody. I'm Anna. This is my first whole30 and I'm starting tomorrow. I'm really excited. I found this forum while I was researching recipes and I'm happy to have some accountability! I pretty much have a carb/sugar addiction, and it's not doing my health any favors. My only other experience with low carb was keto, a few years ago and I honestly remember making a huge pot of what was essentially cheese soup one day and just thinking "this is so not for me".

My husband won't be doing it with me, because he's a body builder and won't part with his precious supplements...but he's incredibly health conscious and I know he will support me and eat the meals I cook, so I'm grateful for that.

I am mainly vegetarian, which makes this challenging. I will be eating fish and poultry during the 30 days, but I'm hoping this will also kickstart some vegan habits. My plan is to keep it simple and include the fish/chicken at first, but to slowly eat less of it, if possible. I don't know, I definitely need to research more about vegetarians who have done Whole 30! 

Anyways, glad to meet you all. ^.^

I'm ready to start tomorrow on my first ever Whole30! This will be a major change for me as I really eat like crap and mostly feel like crap. I'm expecting to feel pretty bad the first week but hope it gets better from there. It will be a shock to my system when I reach for my coffee creamer and sweetener tomorrow and realize that I can't have it!

My daughter is really bummed that we won't be going out to dinner nearly every night, as we usually do, but she's just going to have to adapt. I loathe cooking, so this will be new to me too. I need to lose about 75 lbs so I'm desperate for this to help with that.

Here's hoping for a good day 1!

I am doing the plan starting Monday the 4th!!  Been tapering off the "bad" stuff for 2 weeks now and this weekend will be my last glass of wine for at least 30 days.  I was diagnosed with Scleroderma/Raynaud's almost 30 years ago.  I didn't believe it so I wouldn't take the steroids.  Now we know so much more about autoimmune diseases.  That most of them (if not all) are due to a leaky gut! And let's not even get into the stuff that can cause THAT!  I grew up in the carb generation.  Fat was bad, meat was bad so be a vegetarian and fill up on those whole grains and POTATOES (the worst)!  Now my metabolism is a mess, my endocrine system is waaaaaay out of whack and I have gained 130 lbs in the past 20 years.  Never in a million years did I imagine I would EVER be looking at gastric bypass surgery.  I played tennis 6 hours a day, snow skied, rollerbladed, backpacked, hiked, golfed 18 holes without a cart all at age 37-50!  Now i can barely bend over and tie my tennis shoes.  All that is going to change starting 30 days from now!  I WANT MY LIFE BACK and I don't want to have surgery to get it.  Today was my first day back at the gym in at least 15 years. Oh, yeh it was painful and I was huffing and puffing on that elliptical after 5 minutes but that isn't going to deter me from my goal. I may not ever wear a size 6 jeans again but by George I am not going to be morbidly obese and have to shop at Lame Bryant for the rest of my life!  Now it is MY time and I come FIRST!!! :ph34r: (Warrior pose)

Robbone,

My mom was just recently diagnosed with Raynaud's. Her fingers get numb and turn weird colors. How do you treat it? She's quite underweight right now but is working with a nutritionist on an elimination diet. Apparently she is allergic to a lot of food now. Anyway, does your diet affect your Raynaud's? She is chronically freezing as well.

• Moderators

I am mainly vegetarian, which makes this challenging. I will be eating fish and poultry during the 30 days, but I'm hoping this will also kickstart some vegan habits. My plan is to keep it simple and include the fish/chicken at first, but to slowly eat less of it, if possible. I don't know, I definitely need to research more about vegetarians who have done Whole 30! 

You need to have some kind of protein, so tapering off on amounts of fish and chicken over the course of 30 days is not necessarily a good idea, unless you're replacing that with other protein options. Since you are willing to eat fish and chicken now, I'd recommend doing the full 30 days as designed, and doing careful reintroductions of legumes (and dairy, if you decide to stay vegetarian rather than vegan) so that you know how they affect you, possibly even breaking the legumes down into peanuts on their own and soy on its own and then any others you like, since those two are known to cause problems for many people. That does mean eating meat for a little longer, but you'll have a good idea of what proteins affect you in different ways as  you develop your own plan afterwards.

There are sections addressing vegetarian eating in both It Starts with Food and the new The Whole30 books, they might be a good place to start reading more on the subject.

Hi everyone! Starting my first W30 tomorrow (May 1) and I'm very excited! I read It Starts With Food and the new Whole 30 book cover to cover. Completely emptied the house of anything non compliant, including my scale. Stocked the pantry and prepped a few meals. I'm ready and excited!

Hi to all!

I've started my second Whole30 today, 1 May, after doing a full one in December 2014, and I'm planning to start my journal too.

This time I feel I'm more prepared after reading "It Starts With Food" this last February.

All the best to all :)

Good morning! This morning was hard.. Woke up feeling so groggy and tired. Fortunately I cooked up a storm yesterday (pretty much according to this wonderful lady's meal plan http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/)and I added a fritatta and guac which are my favorite breakfast foods. Chocolate chili for lunch and roasted chicken for dinner. 

Happy whole30 everyone!

Hi Bronnyd !  Hi every one!  I'm Baaaaack !

I did the Whole30 in Jan and loved it!  I lost 20 pounds and an additional 10 pounds the month after.  

i'm back to start another Whole30, starting today!  I still have some weight to lose, and I would really like to figure out what is causing my skin to freak out (Keritosis Pilaris).  My skin cleared up quite a bit during my first Whole30, but i never did figure out if it was the gluten or the dairy that affects my skin.  I'll likely need to re-introduce these foods a lot farther appart than the original re-intro schedule.

Bronnyd, are we going to post meals like we did back in the Jan thread?  I'll start, since I already have my meals preped for today.   :)  I'll also post links to recipies that I'm using, and I encourage you all to do the same.  The more variety we can get, the better :)

Meal 1:

2 Scrambled Eggs

1/2 Avocado

Roasted Butternut Squash

Meal 2:

Salad with:

BBQ Chicken Breast

1/2 Avocado

Onions, Tomatoes, Cucumber

NO dressing (I just realised now that i left that at home, dang!)

Before workout snack:

1/2 Banana

Meal 3:

Steamed Broccoli

Tuesday night chicken (Even though it's FRIDAY!..... I'm living on the edge! )

http://popularpaleo.com/2014/11/13/tuesday-night-chicken/

I started my third Whole 30 this morning!  I made the decision last week, and like some of you, used the time to clean out my cupboards and fridge.  I already know about a few challenges this month, so I am going to be relying on support and suggestions from you all.  Tuesday May 5th is a Cinco de Mayo party at work.  I'll be prepared (that one won't be tough).  However we have a going away party for one of my favorite grad students on May 14th, and it will be awkward for me to not toast with champagne or feast on all the completely off-limits food that will be served.  I'm going to have to bring my own food with me, although that will be a bit uncomfortable.  We're meeting at the faculty member's house and there will only be 6 of us.  That will be my toughest one.  And the last forseeable challenge will be another grad student's bridal shower on May 16th.  I think I can be prepared for that.  Oh, and the Vermont City Marathon is on May 24th, and there will lots of temptations, but mostly for runners. 

I checked out It Starts With Food from my local library and noticed that the Hartwig's have an official Whole 30 book out!  I would love to get my hands on that one!  I rely on recipes from Nom Nom Paleo and The Clothes Make the Girl (Well Fed 1 & 2). 

The thing I am pushing myself to change this month - my reliance on coffee with light cream (it's decaf, but still a crutch).  I'm changing my habit from 3 large cups every morning to 1 or 2 cups with coconut oil and coconut milk. 

I put on some soft squishy pounds in my hips and thighs since last summer due to the unrelenting, nearly unbearable pain from back problems.  I could hardly walk the dog.  No position was pain-free, not even sleeping.  I had to wait from July until March to have surgery, but since then I've felt pretty much great.  Still have some healing pain, and it's really strange to walk without the back brace and feel where the hardware was inserted to fuse my L4L5 vertebrae.  I have been assured that I can return to running, skiing, biking, water skiing and hiking as soon as I'm cleared by my surgeon (end of May).

Spring is here and it's time to clean up my diet.  Happy Day One everyone - I'm ready for this and to feel totally awesome and clean again!

Welcome to all the new joiners of the thread!! it's Day One!!!

I got out last night and bought a bunch of stuff. I feel really prepared.

Meal1: 3 free range eggs (in olive oil)

a cup of roasted brussel sprouts with olive oil

a whole sweet potato

Meal2: Giant salad with a beef patty

whole avocado

handful of almonds

I don't have meal 3 planned yet.

I don't normally get online on the weekends, so if you don't see me, doesn't mean I'm not around!! :)

Hope everyone is having a great day 1.

Hello! I am also starting today :-)

I am starting the Whole 30 as I pretty much feel awful everyday, and know that I have a wheat and dairy intolerance but it has been difficult to eliminate them from my life.

I've done pretty well on keeping up on my weight but this last year I gained 30 pounds (partly due to an indulgent trip to France with croissants and cheese everyday), and feel that my bad habits have finally crept up to my health.

Bonafied sugar addict as well, I love chocolate, alcohol, and get an insulin response from dairy.

So that's it, glad there's a support group for May!

Age: 36 on May 5, Weight: (can't bear to tell), Activity level: walk in my downtown San Fran everyday :-)

Helllooooo newcomers and old Whole30 friends from Jan! Poukiebear HI! GOOD to see you again! This is a great group since we have both newcomers and a few experienced W30ers who can help with quests. 

In answer to Poukiebear's question - YES I'd like to post meals again this time.

This morning I just had salmon/bacon scramble sauteed with diced turmeric, salt and pepper. Scrumptious

M2 - choc chili with diced kale blanched and mixed right in.

M3 - roast chicken with mini yellow/red/orange peppers and sauteed rainbow chard in coconut oil.

I don't weigh myself right now as I can get obsessed. However I did weigh myself once last month when visiting my dad in FL and I had lost over 15 pounds! My hope is to lose another 25ish eventually - but primarily I just want to look good naked. ;) That's subjective I know - but if I could rid the cellulite and buff my triceps a bit, I'd be happy.

One nasty habit that I've broken since Jan W30 is no more grazing! My dinners are before 7 p.m. most of the time now and then I'm done! I rarely snack anymore. This is a huge breakthrough for me.

One habit I'm still working on is to eat more consciously the foods I love - that will be the reintro challenge as the foods I love are mostly 24 hour yogurt and cheeses. And chocolate.It's easy to justify huge portions of yogurt or overload on the cheese in a meal when I'm not snacking or grazing. Also stay very light with alcohol - not really a problem but sometimes I can overdo the wine. My body doesn't like alcohol in general so that's a good thing.

Good Day 1 Everyone! xoxb

This is my 2nd Whole 30 and 1st time on the forum. Happy to join you all! Though, I'm really hoping I can be tough and make it a Whole 45 or even a 60. Either way finishing it would be a great way to start the summer!

So to add a little more info...starting today after going out last night, yikes. Maybe a bad idea but had to go to book club since I won't see them for awhile. Last time eating out was my most frustrating issue. Thankfully, I have leftovers

• Meal 1 Leftover Roasted Chicken Thighs, 8 Kalamata Olives& Veggies-(Brussel's sprouts, radishes, butternut squash, tri color carrots, purple onions)  and Komodoo Dragon coffee from Starbucks
  • Meal 2 Leftover Tuna Salad & Spinach & Pecans
  • Meal 3 Still Planning, Like Right Now!

​My goals this time are to make sure I sleep 10 pm to 6 am. I think it really makes a difference on taming the dragon.  Goal 2 is to drink more water and less Starbucks. Goal 3 is just to keep this up and reintroduce foods in a more calm and controlled manner. Last time I planned a giant piece of chocolate (gf) cake for right after I finished. Made me feel sick and threw off my reintroduction. 

Look forward to hearing more from those who've tried it and are just starting! 

"This is your health. Your one precious life and it starts with food...."

Archived