Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks! I'm in for May, too!  This is my third W30. Well, it will be my second completed W30. The last one didn't go so well...  but that's behind me now. 

I have two obstacles in front of me: (1) I'll be spending next weekend at Disneyland. That's three days of temptations! But I know if I can get through that weekend, I should be able to get through any situation :P and (2) I have to travel the week of 5/18 for work. I'm ok with eating right while on travel, but I have suffer from extreme ear pain on airplanes and have yet to find a good alternative to chewing gum during both the ascent and descent.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. 

Let's do this! 

My lunch today was SO filling . I finished at 12:45pm and it's now 4pm and I'm stuffed. Couldn't eat more if I tried!!! I guess that's a good sign, right?

Thinking about dinner. I think we have some chicken or fish.. I know I have tuna, but I don't have all the ingredients for paleo mayo.

I also wanted to add: May 1  - 167.0 lbs.

I really wanted to be 157 by 6/23 which is my Daughter's first birthday. 157 is what I weighed before I got pregnant. My final goal is 145-140 but I have no idea if I can get there again.

It's great to see all the folks that started today, and posted to this thread!  I wasn't sure about posting meals in this thread, so I started a different one.  I'm also keeping a pen-and-paper log for personal accountability.  I weighed myself this morning, and won't go near the scale again until June 1st.  Starting weight is 128.6, which I absolutely cannot believe is accurate based on what I've been eating for the past month, but I guess it's all I've got.  Not worried about my weight (obviously don't have any room to lose pounds, I'm 5'3) but more about the way I feel and the way my clothes fit.  And of course the stupid sugar dragon, and generally feeling like crap in my body. 

Today

Breakfast: Broccoli, onion, jalapeno and sweet potato stir fry with 2 eggs, 2 cups of green tea.

At work:  2 cups of decaf with coconut oil and coconut milk

Lunch:  Bone broth, tuna with homemade mayo and jalapenos, big salad with balsamic vinegar and olive oil

Dinner:  Salmon, orange swiss chard and roasted parsnips & butternut squash.

Post-dinner:  A cup of ginger tea

I walked 4.5 miles after work, since it was finally nice out!  It feels so good to be back to 3 normal meals a day. 

Have a great evening everyone!!

Hi all! Thank for letting me join you in our May Whole30! I've completed a Whole30 fall 2014 and felt so great...and then ate not so well and I'm back to reset my system. I also relied heavily on nuts on my last round and my gut was a mess. I'm doing without this time around. So far so good on day one, but I realized at lunch that the aminos I bought to cook with to replace soy sauce were actually soy aminos. What?!? I'll pick up some coconut aminos this weekend. I drank my coffee black as I figured adding coconut milk would be rather SWYPO for me. I'm in an enviable position to have a lot of free time on my hands to dedicate to this round, as I just finished up a degree program and am not jumping into work until after a Hawaiian vacation set for early June. :) I'm hoping the tiger blood of the Whole30 will help me feel fabulous for my trip as well.

Like many others who've posted, I have thyroid issues, sleep issues and skin issues I'd like to help remedy. I have had some neuropathy in my feet and brain cloud with a dependence on caffeine to get me through life's obligations and the end of school. I'm not cutting coffee out completely to begin with (I have children I cannot kill...) but hope to maybe wean through the 30 days to not needing it anymore. 

Good luck to us! I'm glad to get to know you all!

Also-

Breakfast- 2 eggs w/ ghee, sauteed snow peas and a tiny bit of citrus squeezed in water to make my gelatin go down easier. Natural Calm Calcium/ mag and fish oil. 

Lunch- Lettuce wraps with chopped chicken, onion, mushroom and olive oil - and NO soy aminos which I bought on accident!

Snack- handful of raw sugarsnap peas. 

Dinner is going to be grilled London Broil and peppers over lettuce w/ garlic and rosemary and EVOO. 

I had an orange. I'm going to have to be careful with fruit or I will feed the demon. 

Meal #1: attempted an omelette but I was so nauseated :( Coffee with coconut milk

Meal #2: 3 hardboiled eggs with ghee and steamed vegetables

Meal #3: burger patty, sweet potato and Napa cabbage salad with Asian dressing. Was really really craving iced tea so I took about 1/8 cup freshly squeezed orange juice and put it in carbonated water.

Friday nights are usually pizza night followed by chips and snacks with a movie so I will admit I was a bit sad lol. Instead my son and I are going to go for a bike ride and snack on some watermelon (I'll add a protein so its compliant) and watch a movie.

I have a headache that is kicking in and I'm tired but I know it'll pass.

Wow!!! I am do happy to see such an active group!!! Welcome all you first Whole 30ers, and all us back for or continuing another round!!! I think I am on day 61, only because Claws reminded me.

Weds night my husband and I went out to dinner for our anniversary, because I decided to let my hair down a little before beginning another 30 days.

I had ONE martini, I felt great and did not find the need to over indulge. For dinner I had oysters, grilled swordfish, and asparagus. I did not desire coffee, and my husband ordered a warm gooey chocolate yummy looking thing! To my surprise, I took ONE TABLESPOON! enjoyed it and was for the FIRST time in my life

satisfied and in control!!

Now it is back to business. Today is my day one. I am away from home for the weekend but I am prepared.

M1....egg salad, romaine, asparagus, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee, coconut milk.

M2....sausage, broccoli, 1/2 cup strawberries

M3....mixed greens, chicken, grilled veggies, avacodo, and salsa.

I am looking forward to getting to know you all! To you first timers, you might start feeling really tired or headaches, hang in there....it does get easier!! Debbie

Hi friends! I'm in, May 2. I had gotten ISWF a year ago, but I wasn't ready. I am now. I have a new birthday Garmin, a new Whole 30 book, and have been building new habits such as getting more sleep and drinking more water, and building in movement. I'm looking forward to the support, and supporting you! We got this!

Hello all. Just wanted to pop in and say that I too started my (second) Whole30 today. I had a lot of great results with the first, but in hindsight I am realizing that I kept my Sugar Dragon awake and hungry by snacking on fruit (& dates!) between meals which is why I think I ended up slipping back into my old eating habits over the course of the last year. This time I'm committed to three square meals (balanced snacks if I'm absolutely hungry.) I also have a solid reintro plan in place this time, and am ready and willing to go beyond the 30 days if I don't get to Tiger Blood! I'm really interested in making sure that this becomes a lifestyle change... not a wagon to hop off and on!

My greatest desired outcome is fat adaptability/mood stability and the abolishment of my sugar cravings. Oh: and healthy digestion!

Day 1:

Breakfast: 
3 poached eggs

salad greens

Bubbies sauerkraut

a drizzle of olive oil

black coffee (am consciously cutting down, so just a small cup! I also discovered that, although I used to love my half & half, I actually prefer coffee black versus with almond or coconut milk.)

Post WO:
Hard-boiled whites (my toddler eats the soft-boiled yolks)

Lunch:
tuna salad (tuna, homemade mayo, Bubbies Dill Relish, red onion, stoneground mustard, lemon juice, salt)

salad greens

Bubbies sauerkraut

a drizzle of olive oil

Dinner:

turkey burger

homemade mayo

sautéed onions

steamed broccoli

drizzled, of course, with olive oil!

Sidenote: I am excited to be a part of this group, and even more excited to see how differently we all eat, even with the same restrictions. I'm looking forward to taking inspiration from y'all when I get bored of my go-to foods!

I had a spinach frittata made with 1 egg and sliced 1/2 an avocado on top of it for breakfast. This is one of my very favorite breakfasts, but I couldn't eat the whole thing. This is not unusual for me. I can't eat enough at one time to keep me from being hungry 2 to 3 hours later.

Eating 3 meals a day is a huge challenge for me and one I'm not sure I want to transition to.

Is it okay to break it into 5 to 6 mini-meals? If not, I should just walk away from this forum now and do it my own way :)

• Moderators

I had a spinach frittata made with 1 egg and sliced 1/2 an avocado on top of it for breakfast. This is one of my very favorite breakfasts, but I couldn't eat the whole thing. This is not unusual for me. I can't eat enough at one time to keep me from being hungry 2 to 3 hours later.

Eating 3 meals a day is a huge challenge for me and one I'm not sure I want to transition to.

Is it okay to break it into 5 to 6 mini-meals? If not, I should just walk away from this forum now and do it my own way :)

Lots of people start out not being able to eat 3 big meals a day.  Think of it as a goal to work toward (unless you have some medical reason that you will not ever be able to eat that much at once, which is true of some people who have had weight loss surgery and in some illnesses).

What we usually recommend is to make up a template meal -- so for your frittata, make up frittatta with 3 eggs, 2 or more cups of spinach (cooked), and at least 1/2 avocado. Eat as much as you can comfortably eat, and when you're full, wrap it up and set it aside. When you're hungry, come back and finish it (or eat more, and then finish it at a third sitting, if that's what it takes).  If you're having separate foods, like chicken and sweet potato and green beans and whatever your fat source is in separate servings, be sure you eat from each of the foods and leave some of each for later.  

If you do this for each meal, it does two things: first, it ensures that you eat at least three minimum template sized meals over the course of the day, so you're getting enough food, and second, it ensures that each meal has a mix of protein, fat, and veggies, so you're not having, say, fruit on its own that would spike your blood sugar, or nuts on their own which can be a food without brakes for many people.

Over time, you will probably find yourself eating more when you initially sit down to eat and leaving less for later, until you get to the point that you can eat the full meal at once.

The book It Starts With Food talks about why they recommend three meals over five or six mini meals, but the basic explanation is that your digestive system actually needs to go through its whole digestive process and then have a period of rest, rather than working continuously all day as you keep having more food.

Day 3 almost over for me now.

Yesterday was actually pretty tough. Started out with my morning run and was really tired, had a headache, and struggled all the way. When I came back home, I accidentally tipped over my water glass and in the process of trying to catch it ended up with a nasty cut in my hand. Proceeded to yell at husband and slam the nearest door in the ugliest drama queen way... And I'm normally always super mellow  :huh:

So .. talk about feeling hung-over, tired AND already at the "kill ALL things stage"! Ugh. Nasty.

Fortunately, feeling a lot better today, haven't killed anybody, and no major injuries so far.

M1: Fried mushrooms/asparagus/celery + two sunny side up eggs

M2: Mixed baby leaves, cherry tomatoes and a piece of fried salmon. Olive oil + balsamic vinegar

M3: Minced chicken with plenty of garlic and a slice of free-range bacon + a huge portion of stir-fried red cabbage with a little lemon juice on top

My goals this time round (this is my second whole30 - the first one was way back in 2013 ;-)):

1) Sleep! In bed before 22 at least 5 days out of 7 each week (will be really hard for me but I know it is so worthwhile)

2) Run 30 minutes every second day or something equivalent.

3) Get started on using my foam roller and make it a habit at least once a week (for some reason all my muscles are aching, so perhaps that will help while cleaning my eating habits up as well)

These were the first three goals I could think up the day before I started out. I plan on making a list of 15-20 activities that could be fun/useful/healthy to perform during this whole30.

I hope everybody is doing well and has had a great start on their whole30!

Lots of people start out not being able to eat 3 big meals a day.  Think of it as a goal to work toward (unless you have some medical reason that you will not ever be able to eat that much at once, which is true of some people who have had weight loss surgery and in some illnesses).

What we usually recommend is to make up a template meal -- so for your frittata, make up frittatta with 3 eggs, 2 or more cups of spinach (cooked), and at least 1/2 avocado. Eat as much as you can comfortably eat, and when you're full, wrap it up and set it aside. When you're hungry, come back and finish it (or eat more, and then finish it at a third sitting, if that's what it takes).  If you're having separate foods, like chicken and sweet potato and green beans and whatever your fat source is in separate servings, be sure you eat from each of the foods and leave some of each for later.  

If you do this for each meal, it does two things: first, it ensures that you eat at least three minimum template sized meals over the course of the day, so you're getting enough food, and second, it ensures that each meal has a mix of protein, fat, and veggies, so you're not having, say, fruit on its own that would spike your blood sugar, or nuts on their own which can be a food without brakes for many people.

Over time, you will probably find yourself eating more when you initially sit down to eat and leaving less for later, until you get to the point that you can eat the full meal at once.

The book It Starts With Food talks about why they recommend three meals over five or six mini meals, but the basic explanation is that your digestive system actually needs to go through its whole digestive process and then have a period of rest, rather than working continuously all day as you keep having more food.

The breakfast you describe would be 2 full meals for me or I would throw away half of it :)

Up until last October, I have been grain free and processed sugar free for several years, always choose organic when possible and occationally have low glycemic fruit. Two months of high stress at work sent me off the cliff and into carbaholic world. I thought the Whole30 forum would be a great source of support to get back on track. I'm very willing to stick to the program but sure don't need the stress of thinking I'm not eating enough. That would not be a healthy relationship with food for me. Maybe I should have researched this a little better before jumping in :)

Hi klsnyder - what helps me feel satiated is fat. The more fat the better. I therefore have turned to coconut oil in tea/coffee and for sauteeing, bacon and sausage, and/or small amount of ghee. ..in every meal. I made chocolate chili with both fatty ground beef and sausage and left all the fat in after browning the meat. After one cup, I'm totally satiated. And my body seems to just love the effects. Read about it in It Starts With Food. Another good book to read is Why We Get Fat if you want a bit more scientific approach. It Starts With Food also talks quite a bit of science. 

Happy Day Two 

A friend and I are going on a short hike this aft and then out to dinner to a new restaurant here in Portland called Cultured Caveman. It's all about eating paleo! Can't wait to try it out. They have quite a few items on their menu that look W30 friendly!

M1 was delish - prosciutto egg cup - I made mine with leftover salmon and fresh basil under the egg. Really easy and good!

M2 choc chili and mini pepper on the side

M3 - something at Cultured Caveman - I'll report that tomorrow.

I can already feel effects of one day of eating W30 - my sleep last night was really good. It's like my body, knowing I'm back to W30 eating, is happy again and can rest easy.

Have a great weekend everyone! xob

Sidenote: I am excited to be a part of this group, and even more excited to see how differently we all eat, even with the same restrictions. I'm looking forward to taking inspiration from y'all when I get bored of my go-to foods!

Agree, I also am interested in seeing how differently we all eat and borrowing some ideas from all of you. I have mostly been combining chicken/ veggies and ground beef/ veggies without following recipes, but this time will be different :). On Thursday I cooked for about 5 days and now am overwhelmed at all the leftovers in my fridge. I'm not used to seeing that many containers with prepared food, and I get a little anxiety that they will go bad if I don't eat them right away... which I know is not true. It is just from all the years of cooking one meal at a time. 

M1: fritatta (beef, broccoli) w/ guacamole, roasted chicken and snap peas w/ sunshine sauce, coffee with coconut milk, newspaper  :P (gotta love Saturdays)

M2: huge arugula/ apple/ prosciutto salad (autocorrect wanted to change this to prosecution  :mellow: ) with olive oil and mustard dressing, roasted chicken and baked sweet potato with sunshine sauce, lots of water

M3: Probably will go back to chocolate chili with fried egg on top, big salad or roasted veggies. 

PS: I have to be careful with fruit. The one apple in my salad tasted way too delicious and sweet, almost like eating candy. Amazing how quickly our tastebuds adapt. 

PPS: Everybody should go make sunshine sauce. It is absolute deliciousness and makes chicken taste sooooo much better. Recipe here: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

klsnyder: Agree with taking it easy one meal at a time. If it seems daunting to try to get to only three meals, stick to the meal template for each one of your small meals (protein, veggies and fat), and increase fat as need to feel satiated for a few hours. I wouldn't stress about not eating enough, just pay attention to how you are feeling between meals and overall and you can troubleshoot as you go. Welcome  :)

Hi everyone! I also started on May 1, & am so excited to be on this journey. 

I am 22, I live as a missionary in South Africa.  I wanted to do the Whole30 because I since moving to the other end of the earth (I'm from Seattle), I began to use food as a coping mechanism! I see how it's impacted my life not in weight gain, but in depression & apathy. I have felt sluggish & extremely depressed for a few months & doing the whole30, along with some other changes, I trust will make a difference!

It's a little bit difficult here, because organic is basically non-existent, & for what small selection there is, it's absurdly expensive.  So by whole30 strict standards, I am off. HOWEVER, I am doing 100% of what I can with what I have, & that has to be enough! We're going into winter here so the fruits have just changed a bit, but avo's are cheaper now than I've seen them so far so I'm thankful for that! 

Grateful for a community to bounce ideas off of & grow with! We can do this. :)

I have a beautiful journal I bought 6+years ago. It has a graphic colorful butterfly on it and to me, it symbolizes transformation. So that is my plan: To transform my health, my relationship with food and my LIFE using the Whole30, 60, 90......whatever it takes. I will use this lovely journal to keep track of my thoughts and symptoms while on the program. I look at my fridge full of all the amazing vegetables and fruits I bought to prepare for my journey and think "If Mother Earth can still give these jewels in spite of all we have done to her, then I can give to myself in spite of all life has done to me." I am inspired by the book and by Mother Nature. So I will be like Her and rise above the ashes to continue to give my best to this life until I am called Home. We'll see if I really miss that Friday night cocktail or glass of wine so much after 30 days. What is that cream in my coffee, chocolate truffle or cookie worth? My quality of life? I think I miss me more than I could EVER miss those!! HERE I GOOOOOOOO!!

@booksandcoffee: That sunshine sauce looks delish! Thanks for the link.

Day 2 and definitely feeling the hangover. Tough stuff. Headache. And my whole body feels flu-like. I'm a little surprised because I feel like my eating was so improved compared to the last time I did my Whole 30. But I guess sugar is sugar, no matter how little!

Two things to improve for next week: I somehow started with very few carby veggies on hand (sw potatoe, winter squash, etc.) and I must remember to reserve a little from each meal in case I get hungry between meals. I tried an Epic Bar today and it turns out that dehydrated meat is just not my bag.  :wacko: 

Breakfast:

3 egg scramble w/

leftover steamed veggies (broccoli & carrots)

leftover sautéed onion

fresh basil

salt

Lunch:

tuna salad

salad greens

soaked/toasted walnuts

drizzle olive oil

Bubbies sauerkraut

Snack:

(1 teeny bite of an Epic bar)

1/2 apple

3 tbs almond butter

spoonful of homemade mayo (My husband thinks this is disgusting. I think dehydrated meat is disgusting. Agree to disagree.  ;) )

Dinner:

coconut/almond flour breaded chicken thighs (coconut milk & egg as binder)

salad greens

mustard

I can see why I'm struggling so hard. That's a pretty dramatic drop in carbs! I'm grocery shopping tomorrow for next week and will be sure to rectify this!

Oh, and as a fun aside: my husband has decided to join me!

I would love it if more people posted recipe links they've tried and like. The Sunshine Sauce and Pad Thai recipe look great. Thanks BooksandCoffee. I have 6 paleo books on hold at the library but a somewhat boring meal plan so far this week. (All tuna salad and baked chicken-like). Meals today compliant but not worth posting :)

Today I hit the ground running.  Well figuratively.  No running for me yet :unsure:  I had a morning hair appointment, then off to meet a friend for a 5 mile walk.  After, she came back to my house to do some of my yardwork.  The leaves from fall are still all over my yard, under my shrubs, and annoying the heck out of me.  I called my surgeon's office on Friday to confirm that I am not allowed to rake yet, and that is indeed the case.  I need to practice patience.  <sigh> not my strong suit.  My three kids are coming tomorrow to hopefully rake up and bag all the leaves - hooray!  It has been a gorgeous weekend so far, and a real pleasure to be outside.  After Amy did the yardwork, we came in and watched Wild on DVD.  Didn't have dinner, because lunch was at 2:30, but after Amy left (she's NOT doing the W30), I pulled out some leftovers.  However I really hate eating after 8 at night, so I just have to let it go.  Tomorrow is a new day.

Bfast - veal patty, steamed broccoli, half a baked sweet potato

Lunch - large salad, salmon "a l'afrique du nord" (well fed 2)

Dinner - roasted parsnips and butternut squash, orange zested swiss chard

• Moderators

The breakfast you describe would be 2 full meals for me or I would throw away half of it :)

Up until last October, I have been grain free and processed sugar free for several years, always choose organic when possible and occationally have low glycemic fruit. Two months of high stress at work sent me off the cliff and into carbaholic world. I thought the Whole30 forum would be a great source of support to get back on track. I'm very willing to stick to the program but sure don't need the stress of thinking I'm not eating enough. That would not be a healthy relationship with food for me. Maybe I should have researched this a little better before jumping in :)

That's what I'm saying, though. Eat half of what I described at breakfast, and then eat the other half later. You may eat 6 times during the day, but you meet the minimums from the template over the course of the day.  It's just that if you make up the whole plate of food, rather than just half of it, there's more of a chance that over time you'll start eating more at one sitting, because it's already there in front of you, which would let you work up to eating enough to stay satisfied for 5-6 hours, rather than 2-3 hours. 

Also just to note -- none of this is meant to stress you out. Do the best you can. As long as you're following the rules as far as what you're actually eating, you're doing a Whole30 -- the stuff about serving sizes and the meal template are just recommendations to get the very best results possible.

Archived