Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Alaya - my face is breaking out too!! it looks terrible!!! I hope this phase ends soon!

Day 7

meal1 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil

broccoli slaw sautéed in ghee

whole avocado

I wanted more veggies but was in a hurry to get to work.

meal2: browned GF meat/olive oil

sweet potato

spaghetti squash

celery/black olives

Meal3: not planned yet.

Feeling okay this morning. not quite as energetic as I felt yesterday. I think I had too much salt, and not enough water today because it was REALLY hard to get my wedding rings on this AM.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe it's Day 7 already!  In spite of my calcium/dairy scare, I've been doing really well.  I'm going to carry on with my W30, as I recently got a compliant calcium supplement and feel generally okay about calcium intake.  Yesterday marked 9 weeks since my back surgery, and I've been able to do so many things that I had to stop due to the pain.  My p/t found that my left calf had some very intense trigger points that were manifesting as terrible foot pain - it limits my walking a bit, but I still continue.  She dry-needled the area, and holy moly it is so sore now.  Even though the pain returned within 24 hours, I know this is the right path.  I had adapted my walking due to the pain, and it was my left calf that got all knotted up.  Here's to alternative medicine (raise and clink glass of sparkling water)!

Bfast - leftover pork hock and apple cabbage mulled gravy, french green beans with coconut oil, 2 cups green tea

at work - 2 cups of decaf with coconut oil and coconut cream

Lunch - salmon salad with homemade mayo (used this but modified with some chopped celery and will have as meal instead of appetizer): http://nomnompaleo.com/post/48532229579/spicy-salmon-cucumber-bites, lots of fresh veggies on the side, cukes, celery, carrots, tomato, red pepper and a kiwi

Dinner - 2 Applegate hot dogs with VT Probiotic sauerkraut and mustard, rutabaga frites, sugar snap peas

sleep is still off.  can't seem to get a full 8 hours yet.  this is a huge drag for me, although i'm not tired during the day, and everything else feels good.  i must say for the past couple of months i was getting almost 9 hours a night, so maybe with the longer days, i'm needing as much sleep???  somehow with all the walking i'm doing (about 20 miles a week, over 15,000 steps a day) i would think i still need it. 

I'm new to this Whole30 but I am in. I am starting Monday, May 11th. I'm hoping this forum will support me through it because my husband, nanny and three kids are NOT on board!

Welcome, Kberryman! I am also doing this solo in my household so we can empathize along the way! I'm on Day 6 of my first whole30 and going strong, thus far. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything!

I'm new to this Whole30 but I am in. I am starting Monday, May 11th. I'm hoping this forum will support me through it because my husband, nanny and three kids are NOT on board!

Welcome !!!!!  I had to start over, due to poor planning while traveling!!! It doesn't matter what day we are on..... it matters that we are on!!!!  and we are all here together!!

Hello all!! I am having difficulty getting in my workouts. I decided to change my routine, and do it in the morning before work!!  I seem to have more energy in the AM. I wake at 4:00, pack my meals, and start my workout by 5:00. I have to leave at 6;30 and this seems to work for me. I work outside and am in a construction dept of a major communication company, so I don't have to wear dress clothes. A quick shower, jeans, ponytail, and work boots, and I am off!!! This morning I did upper body weight training and abs. It felt great. My energy level was crazy today!!

M1...balsamic chicken, brussel sprouts, cherry tomatoes, coffee, coconut milk

M2... Zucchini slices with meat sauce, apple

M3... Roasted chicken, cauliflower, and 1/2 a sweet potato. 

My 6 yr old grand-daughter will be here tonight and i think a trip to the park will help digest our dinner!!!  

Day 7 - Week 1 Complete!

I had another case of severe "grumps" this afternoon. I really hope this phase passes soon! 

Here's what I ate today - I feel like I am eating SO MUCH FOOD!

Breakfast:

3 poached eggs

mixed salad greens

leftover steamed broccoli

1/2 avocado

olive oil, salt & chili flakes

black coffee

Post-WO: 

4 hard-boiled egg whites

mustard

Lunch: 

ground turkey w/ 

sautéed onions

salt & italian seasoning

salad greens w/

olive oil & balsamic vinegar

1/2 avocado

Snack:

3 slices smoked turkey (compliant)

1/4 avocado

sm handful cashews

Dinner:

seasoned chicken thighs

steamed chard

garlic cauli “rice"

Hey just got to read all posts for the past couple days -- been down for the count with a really bad virus that completely took hold yesterday. I felt it coming on Tuesday night. Today it's much better but still enough to keep me home from work. I'll be able to work tomorrow, Thank Goddess. Most of my food has been things like scrambled eggs, a bit of bacon, jello and chicken soup with broccoli florets thrown in. 

Also a friend sent me this wonderful medicinal tea recipe (minus the honey) - I was SO tempted to add honey and start over tomorrow - but nope. Stuck with it. The tea tastes fine without it. Love ginger!  My tummy is really liking it too. Am pretty light on the cayenne. Tea also would work nicely as a healthy hot toddy. :)

Wow Pyrotek you go girl!  I am inspired to hear about your energy!! Working out on reg basis is my next habit to cultivate. In fact, I'm going to start tomorrow with a morning strength-building yoga and calisthenics routine.

Booksandcoffee – yes I hear you about the peeing 384729 times.

Poukiebear – omg awesome bbq chicken pic! And also cool to hear people at your work are considering W30! I've been sharing a bit about it, but not a whole lot. Not yet anyway.

Wholemama – I hate those days when I feel tired and listless and can't get going. Hope it's better! 

Lori– I just read your post about back surgery! Am glad you're sticking with the forum even for just support to eat healthy.  Also am not surprised at doc's recommendations. My experience with docs around nutrition has not been helpful. Have you considered a naturopath with nutritional background for support? That said, I do have a doc who has an incredible assistant who is nutritionally aware and we are working together to cure my SIBO without antibiotics. Many docs take an "integrated" approach and work with naturopaths. In fact the doc I see works at Integrative Medicine. Also, have you tried goats milk? Or Sheep's milk yogurt? Dr. Weil says sheeps milk has twice as much calcium, phosphorous, zinc, and vit B than goats or cows. I can drink goats milk but not cows and have learned the it's much easier to digest and better for us humans in general. More expensive though.

Kberryan- welcome and you can do it! My last W30, my housemate came upstairs with a gluten free, sugar free muffin made with coconut flour and I couldn't have it because muffins are noncompliant. But her thoughtfulness put a big smile on my face.

Alaya - Yes I too feel like I'm eating a ton of food. I think much of it is writing it down and being aware of what I'm eating. I bet before W30, I was eating more and it was crap. ;)

Good morning!  It's a gorgeous day here in Vermont, although predicted to be mid-80's (too warm for me).  The weekend is supposed to be a washout, which is good because we desperately need rain.  Too bad we won't be able to do our Mother's Day barbeque and walk along the lake, but we'll see what Mother Nature has in store.

I'm feeling really good, and had a solid night's sleep finally.  Still a little short (8.25 hours) but the quality was better.  I can't wait to start real exercise again!  I have a post-op visit on 5/29, but of course the return to normal activities will be slow and methodical.  It's okay - at least my back is fixed :)  I've been doing a lot of walking, but still don't feel like it's helping to firm up the soft mushy mess around my butt and thighs.  Patience, grasshopper.....

Today's meals:

B'fast - my "usual" - broccoli, asparagus, onion, jalapeno and sweet potato stir fry w/2 eggs, turmeric, pepper, cayenne, 2 green tea

work - 2 decaf with coconut cream & oil

Lunch - spinach salad with balsamic & olive oil, leftover salmon salad

Dinner - not sure yet, but hoping to make grilled chicken with mango salsa, some green veggie, and some starchy veg too

Hope everyone has a wonderful relaxing weekend.  I appreciate all the support on this forum, and feel good about my commitment.  Had to go through the worry and fear (and do a little research) before I came to the decision to carry on and make the necessary adjustments for my health. 

Oh - and I keep meaning to post that I inadvertently gave up a little "bending of the rules" comfort food indulgence this time without thinking about it.  The last two W30's I've done have included a wedge of fresh coconut at lunch and dinner.  I told myself it was for the healthy fats, but mostly it was kind of like a reward or dessert.  I bought a coconut last week, and when I opened it up, it was bad.  Instead of replacing it, I simply returned it.  Isn't it funny the things that make us slide into the slippery zone?  I've done fine with nuts and fruit at meals, but fresh coconut - watch out!!  ("I'll have just one more little piece... just one more. Oh that piece is too small to save, I'll just have it now."  Insidious)  And this time around I feel like I'm learning how much is the right amount of food per meal.  The last two times I ate so much more, however I was also running and lifting and doing a lot more physical stuff.  This time I'm more sedentary, and too much food makes me feel bloated and uncomfortable.  It never felt like that before.  I think I used to eat like Molly Schuyler (120 lb woman who out-ate pro football players!!)  http://www.eonline.com/news/648299/watch-120-pound-molly-schuyler-beat-out-football-players-and-pro-wrestlers-to-shatter-the-steak-eating-record  Hopefully this recovery phase will help my metabolism become a little less glutenous and more satiated.

Good FRIDAY morning!!!

Day 8!

Feeling a little headachy this morning, but not sure what's causing it. I know I didn't eat enough for dinner last night. Our fridge is getting empty and it's apparent because our meals are getting a little bit smaller. I'm struggling with green veggies.

Mea1: 3 eggs in olive oil

sweet potato

ghee

black coffee iced.

Meal2: grilled chicken

baby spinach

avocado (whole)

olive oil

black olives

spaghetti squash

Meal3: Not planned yet...

Helloooo W30ers! Happy Day 8!

Almost back to 'normal' W30 day - energy still low and nose still stuffy but feeling way better then even yesterday.  Tummy still not hugely hungry so meals slightly smaller. Actually, I wouldn't mind if that lasted a bit longer. Two days of eating smaller meals and lots of jello did wonders for my inner gut. Not that it looks much smaller, but it just feels better. Probably SIBO related - doc did say eat smaller meals with more time in between. The immunitea probably helped as well. 

M1 two eggs and rest of salmon, sauteed with chopped turmeric and black pepper - jello

M2 sausage, chopped kale and sweet pepper stir fry - jello

M3 dunno yet, probably something small. Jello for sure. 

bronnyd: So good to see you back! And I think you're right about the amount of food. I'm sure I was eating way more zero-nutrient junk than I realized. I'm happy to be eating so much good food, but also get the sense that when all of this evens out I may not need to.

Day 8 - I'm still so tired and cranky. Working really hard to prioritize rest, given that my son is still sleeping so poorly at night. The one thing I will say is that my workouts have felt really great. I feel strong, despite the lack of energy at the end of the day.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

3 poached eggs

mixed salad greens

1/2 avocado

oven roasted sw potato rounds

olive oil, salt & hot sauce

2 cups black coffee (should have skipped the 2nd cup. lesson learned!)

Lunch:  (a totally boring and uninspired meal  <_<)

leftover chicken thigh

1/2 apple

sm handful cashews

oven roasted broccoli & cauliflower

Post-WO: 

4 hard-boiled egg whites

mustard

Dinner:

halibut w/

tomato

olives

capers

onion & garlic

fresh herbs

summer squash

over salad greens

Hi friends, long time no see!! It has only been a day of not posting but it feels like forever. I too feel extremely fatigued and with no energy. I've gone back to crossfit so have increased my carby veggie intake and think that helped. I also could barely zip my pants today, right on with the timeline. I second guessed myself and got angry at myself for eating so many carbs and fat, then I had to remember everything the webpage says and talk myself out of it. Then I had an entire sweet potato. With ghee.. Lol I guess that talk ended quickly.

M1: chicken thighs with "honey" mustard, no honey. I'll find the recipe and link it! Sweet potatoes and zuchinis that I roasted in a rush before leaving for work.

M2: the last of the chocolate chili, sweet potatoes and zuchini, cauliflower rice

M3: three hard boiled eggs and a sweet potato, no yummy green veggies. Oh and two grapes that I stole from my roommate's plate.

Win for today is that my friend celebrated her birthday at a mexican restaurant, and I didn't even crave margaritas, burritos or cake.

Not so win for today was my other friend's comment:

Her: you're so healthy! And cooking your own food daily!

Me: thank you! I'm trying to be healthy :)

Her: you don't eat or drink, you're becoming so boring!!

Me: awkward silence... Followed by "actually I still have fun.."

I have forgotten the details of yesterday's meals but there was some of this chicken with mustard and a lot of butternut squash soup as well as carrots and an arugula salad.

http://paleomg.com/crispy-chicken-thighs-with-pineapple-honey-mustard-sauce/

That is the yummy crispy chicken I tried to make. I however did not have pineapple chunks (somebody put an empty bag of frozen pineapple chunks back in the freezer!!!!!) so I replaced pineapple with mango, and left out the honey. It was amazing.

And for the butternut squash soup: i cut it in chunks (or rather bought it pre-cut from Trader Joes :P) and boiled it for a while until soft, then in the blender with a tablespoon of ghee, ¼ cup coconut milk, a tablespoon of curry powder, and salt and pepper. Highly recommended! Though I'm certain you can find a fancier recipe online.

Omg, booksandcoffee, that crispy chicken recipe looks scrumptious!! I'm going to try it this weekend. For folks wanting to try it out, I just looked up Dijon in the W30 Can I Have guide and it says just check labels. If no white wine or other noncompliant ing, go for it! Yay!  Am almost out of mustard and like Dijon so will see if there is a compliant version at my store. The squash soup recipe also looks perfect. Going grocery shopping today for ings. 

So this cold/virus is still with me - the LONGest I've been sick all winter! Wouldn't mind it so much if it weren't such an energy suck. And slightly dull ache in my head. Had a huge coughing fit last night while teaching and got home exhausted.

Slept really well though and today the sun is ashining - going to be a warm sweet spring day and I plan to be out in it at least for a while. :)

My meals today are as follows:

M1 scrambled eggs, bacon and sauteed kale

M2 tuna sal in cuke cups

M3 maybe the crispy chicky or salmon with  roasted roots or scrambled eggs, depending on how I feel.

Am drinking immunotea and eating jello with each meal as well.

PS booksandcoffee - your reply to your friend's kinda rude comment was perfect! We're not here to entertain our demanding friends. As long as we are having fun, getting healthy and enjoying life, that's enough. :)

.......Win for today is that my friend celebrated her birthday at a mexican restaurant, and I didn't even crave margaritas, burritos or cake.
Not so win for today was my other friend's comment:
Her: you're so healthy! And cooking your own food daily!
Me: thank you! I'm trying to be healthy :)
Her: you don't eat or drink, you're becoming so boring!!
Me: awkward silence... Followed by "actually I still have fun.."

Hello everyone!  I'm so glad it's the weekend - I am yearning to do some gardening and yardwork, but must still wait another couple/three weeks.  Instead I'm going to help out at a dog rescue adoption event from 12-3.  The last time I did this, I got to sit and hold a tiny puppy - so sweet!  Today I dehydrated plum tomatoes to make a salad dressing for my Sardines and Arugula salad here: http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/paleo-salads-in-a-jar-recipes/  All her other salads are amazing too (only one calls for honey, which I omitted) and are W30 compliant.  Even made my own hot English mustard!  Here's today's fare:

Bfast:  steamed broccoli, 1/2 baked sweet potato rounds, 1 egg fried with 2 stalks asparagus, 1 Tbs onion and chopped jalapeno, with a little leftover veal t-bone, 2 cups green tea and 2 cups decaf with coconut cream/oil

Lunch:  sardine and arugula salad

Dinner:  not sure, but I threw this in the crockpot last night, so it's an option: http://paleopolly.com/2014/10/20/paleo-slow-cooker-shin-beef-with-celeriac-smash/ along with cauliflower pilaf and maybe a few plantain chips

I wish I could find compliant bacon around here.  Every package I've looked at has cane sugar or honey or maple syrup or some other sweetener.  I love Sweet and Salty Broccoli Salad (Well Fed 2) http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/12/13/suddenly-im-in-the-mood-for-broccoli/, but it's not salty and not satisfying without the bacon.  <sigh>  #justhavetomakedue

Hope everyone that is fighting some kind of illness starts feeling better and is blessed with Tiger Blood!

Happy Day 9 everyone. 

So, how’s everyone feeling on this Day 9 of the Whole30 journey?  Hopefully you’ve made to through the “hangover”, “kill all things” and “I just want to take a nap” pit stops. If not, don’t be dismayed.  For some, including myself, you may find that your symptoms linger for extended periods of time then what’s noted within the timeline.  For me, I stayed in the “I just want to take a nap” era for weeks.  I realize now that I hadn’t slept more than 4 hours per night for many many years.  But don’t give up, the benefits that you are seeking are right around the corner.  Just hang in there, things are GOING to get better. 

You only job during this Whole30, remember, is to make good food choices.  You’re well on your way.  Will you succeed? Yes indeed.. 99 ¾% guaranteed.  You’re moving mountains my cyber buddy friends…

QUOTE: 

"That which we persist in doing, becomes easier ---

not that the nature of the task has changed but our

ability has increased..."  Ralph Waldo Emerson.....

Welcome, Kberryman! I am also doing this solo in my household so we can empathize along the way! I'm on Day 6 of my first whole30 and going strong, thus far. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything!

Kberryman:  Few more days before your start day...Welcome to the group...Are you doing prep work this weekend?  For me I found that it has been the key to being able to stay on track, on task, and on target.  

kmg4805 and Kberryman:  I too am the only one in my household on this Whole30 journey.  Hang in there..the forums are a GREAT support group.    Check out the article "Flying Solo"  http://whole30.com/2014/03/solo-whole30/

Thank you bronnyd! I'll be aware of tahina ;)

Today I'm fully recovered and I have even done some work out. And the most amazing thing occurred... my period came WITHOUT any pain!!!! Considering that most of the times I kind of die on the first day, I'm ecstatic!!!!

I guess this is due to the W30, but I'm only on day 5... can it be only due to this? Have any of you also experienced the same while on the W30?

Hi Aia:  No menstrual cramps for me either, since embarking on this Whole30 journey.  Makes me very very happy. 

Poukie - That looks AMAZING!!!! I try to get pictures every day and I upload them at the end of the day on my instagram account. I probably drive my friends nuts, but I like to do it. Oh well!.

Alaya- Oh boy!!! 4am is ROUGH. Last night she slept ALL night and she didn't get up until after 7am!! woohooo!!

last night my dinner was just kind of thrown together. Pan fried fish in ghee, with asparagus, tomatoes, and something else that I can't remember.

Day 6

Today I woke up and it's like the fog has lifted!! I feel energized and awake! YAY! ( could be because my daughter slept all night.. or the whole30.. not sure!)

Meal1 was rushed and I didn't get everything I wanted.

3 eggs cooked in olive oil

sweet potato with ghee

Meal2: browned GF meat

sweet potato

brussel sprouts

black olives

Preworkout - I brought a bunch of spaghetti squash. I haven't been eating fruit at all. Doing really well with it.

meal3 - not sure yet, but probably more pan fried fish, and more veggies!

WholeMama623:  Good job on not eating fruit at all.  One of my goals was to do the same; however, it hasn't worked out for me yet; so instead I changed the goal to just eating fruit on strength training days... I've found that, that's not working for me either....; but I will keep trying...I just have to get my mind in the right place..  

Helloooo W30ers! Happy Day 8!

Almost back to 'normal' W30 day - energy still low and nose still stuffy but feeling way better then even yesterday.  Tummy still not hugely hungry so meals slightly smaller. Actually, I wouldn't mind if that lasted a bit longer. Two days of eating smaller meals and lots of jello did wonders for my inner gut. Not that it looks much smaller, but it just feels better. Probably SIBO related - doc did say eat smaller meals with more time in between. The immunitea probably helped as well. 

M1 two eggs and rest of salmon, sauteed with chopped turmeric and black pepper - jello

M2 sausage, chopped kale and sweet pepper stir fry - jello

M3 dunno yet, probably something small. Jello for sure. 

Hang in there....Here's hoping you are back to normal soon.

claws: I appreciate the pep talk! I'm still feeling super tired, especially in the afternoons, but I too am perpetually low on sleep due to my son. Really working on getting to bed earlier and napping as much as possible to make the most!

--

Today was the first day my munchy sugar dragon has kicked in since the beginning. I made the mistake of feeding it (banana & cashews) and may have some work ahead of me over the next day or two to rectify my mistake. Whoops! Back to animal fats as snacks for me for a while I think...

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

2 poached eggs

homemade ground turkey sausage w/ apple

mixed salad greens

1/2 avocado

oven roasted sw potato rounds

olive oil, salt

cup black coffee

Lunch

leftover halibut w/

tomato

olives

capers

onion & garlic

fresh herbs

summer squash

over salad greens

sm handful almonds

Snack: (PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE SUGAR DRAGON! EEEK!)

banana

sm handful cashews...

...another sm handful cashews

Dinner:

quick & easy thai green curry w/

shrimp

broccoli

sw potato

coconut milk

coconut aminos

green curry paste (compliant)

garlic & fresh basil