Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms!  I hope everyone had a wonderful day filled with delicious food.  My 3 kids and 2 yr old granddaughter met me at my mother's house for lunch.  I was prepared with my own chicken breast, mango salsa and cauliflower pilaf.  I brought a watermelon for everyone to share, since I won't be eating it yet.  As everyone snacked on chips and salsa, and cheese and crackers, I simply sipped my seltzer with lime and was content.  I discovered something last night as I adjusted my meals due to a time crunch.  I made Veal Scalloppine which turned out great, however breading the veal with almond flour and having leftover almond flour clumps "frying" in the oil was a SWPO moment.  I ended up eating waaaaay too much food (the veal scalloppine, rutabaga shoestring fries, brussels sprouts) and felt guilty afterward.  So much for my confidence...  Today I cleaned it back up again.  I haven't had any food cravings this time around, and haven't even been tempted by things.  I'll have an occasional passing thought "gee I'd love to have a beer," "an ice cream would be soo good right now," but they are gone as quickly as they come.

Today-

Bfast: 2 eggs with the usual stir-fried veggies and sweet potato

Lunch: grilled chicken with mango salsa, cauliflower pilaf, watermelon

Dinner:  I'm working on it now - still kind of full from lunch (it was a little late), and I really don't want to end my day with another humongous meal

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg, Lori I'm SO with you on the passing semi-occasional thought of "gee, I'd love to have a beer." In fact I had those two exact thoughts about beer and ice cream this weekend. Also red wine. 

Today I'm SO jonesin' for my macadamia nuts I almost took them out of the freezer. Am nut free this w30 and am going quietly NUTS for them this weekend, thinking WHAT the EFF was I THINKING??? Mac nuts never give me a problem..

I looked up the w30 timeline and days 10-11 are supposed to be the hardest. This time around -yup - right on.It's been sunny and warm and I've been wanting a beer and ice cream and seeing people enjoying beer and ice cream and feeling lots of self pity. And also kill all the things. GAH!

I'm not letting it ruin my weekend though - despite my cold, I got out yesterday to a quiet and beautiful park and watched dogs run off leash and chatted with a couple dog owners and read and wrote a bit. But I can sure tell my thoughts are lashing out big time. Also sleep has been erratic past couple nights. ......

I dunno how I'd do if I had kids. Booksandcoffee, I'm also right with you on how hard it is doing this alone what with other people in family taunting/tempting me!! I've been very selective on who to tell about this. People will judge, and it's really none of my business what someone else thinks. So all you moms out there and people with padnahs, more power to you!

Today I'm cooking:

Eggplant stuffed with pork mixed with sage/ginger/minipeppers/basil/salt/herbs

Egg tart with chicken, spinach, basil, herbs and spices

Chicken crock pot made last night and chicken stock today

Kimchi

All this is pretty easy - just about 2 hours including cooking time. Meals today are:

M1 bacon and eggs, last of mashed celeriac

M2 1/2 cuke and tuna sal 

M3 baked eggplant with pickle, jello

omg, Lori I'm SO with you on the passing semi-occasional thought of "gee, I'd love to have a beer." In fact I had those two exact thoughts about beer and ice cream this weekend. Also red wine. 

Today I'm SO jonesin' for my macadamia nuts I almost took them out of the freezer. Am nut free this w30 and am going quietly NUTS for them this weekend, thinking WHAT the EFF was I THINKING??? Mac nuts never give me a problem..

I looked up the w30 timeline and days 10-11 are supposed to be the hardest. This time around -yup - right on.It's been sunny and warm and I've been wanting a beer and ice cream and seeing people enjoying beer and ice cream and feeling lots of self pity. And also kill all the things. GAH!

I'm not letting it ruin my weekend though - despite my cold, I got out yesterday to a quiet and beautiful park and watched dogs run off leash and chatted with a couple dog owners and read and wrote a bit. But I can sure tell my thoughts are lashing out big time. Also sleep has been erratic past couple nights. ......

I dunno how I'd do if I had kids. Booksandcoffee, I'm also right with you on how hard it is doing this alone what with other people in family taunting/tempting me!! I've been very selective on who to tell about this. People will judge, and it's really none of my business what someone else thinks. So all you moms out there and people with padnahs, more power to you!

Today I'm cooking:

Eggplant stuffed with pork mixed with sage/ginger/minipeppers/basil/salt/herbs

Egg tart with chicken, spinach, basil, herbs and spices

Chicken crock pot made last night and chicken stock today

Kimchi

All this is pretty easy - just about 2 hours including cooking time. Meals today are:

M1 bacon and eggs, last of mashed celeriac

M2 1/2 cuke and tuna sal 

M3 baked eggplant with pickle, jello

bronnyd and Lori:  I'm right there with both of you on the "gee I'd love to have" thought process........For me it's.......................

I'd love to have movie theater popcorn; 

I'd love to have chocolate covered donuts;

I'd love to have glazed donuts;

I'd love to have peppermint bark candy.

Which, if I ate any of these things, they either make me sick to the stomach or my face would break out after consuming them.

bronnyd:  I like your statement  of : "it's really none of my business what someone else thinks."   it reminds me of a couple of sticky notes I have posted on my computer at work i.e.:

1. "What other people think of me is none of my business..."  

2. Other people's opinions do not have to become my reality.."

Today I cooked:

1.  Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

2.  Hawaiian Beef Kabobs

3.  Cauliflower Rice

4.  Currently working on sauteing some Broccoli and making Paleo Pad Thai 

Hi friends!

Bronnyd and claws.... I needed to read that! It truly is none of my business what other people think of me. Of course what I eat is none of their business, but that I already knew!

Lori: For me it is ice cream! Though I have proven to myself over and over that it makes me feel terrible and is not actually that wonderful. But today we went for a park picnic and I kept thinking it would be lovely to walk around the park with an ice cream cone. Though now that i know how good I feel, I just think those days that I thought I felt fine, I was probably pretty bloated and miserable. 

Alaya: I hear you... also need to rectify the same  mistake. No more bananas for me. 

This was a lovely weekend. It is finally summer here in Pittsburgh. Spring was completely skipped over.. it went from 40s to 80s in about a week! I fell off the structured meal schedule and have snacked a lot on fruit. I was at two social events for lunch and for dinner yesterday and at both I had already eaten at home, but grabbed a plate of fruit to get me through the event. My husband who lives 5 hours away (:() was visiting for the weekend and today we had a lovely whole30 compliant picnic at a park. 

Day 10 (wooooot!)

M1: spaghetti squash frittata, sweet potato, melon, coffee

M2: Picnic! This was delightful and I highly recommend it either for a picnic or lunchbox. We made: salad (tomato, cucumber, lettuce, guac dressing), roast beef (bough remade at trader joes, only ingredients are beef, salt and pepper), and took sugar snap peas and baby carrots, and prosciutto wrapped melon. I made sunshine sauce and we sat at the park and ate veggies dipped in guac or sunshine sauce, and beef dipped in guac or sunshine sauce. And a lot of water.  

M3: leftover beef, salad, ½ banana with blueberries and almond butter. I know... so much fruit. Back to good meal planning tomorrow. 

We'll power through the hardest days and make it out on the other side!! 

Happy Mother's Day, all!

The only real cravings I've had have been for popcorn with nutritional yeast, our movie night tradition. I thought I'd replace it with kale chips -- turns out we didn't have any kale in the house. (I swore we had a whole drawer full! #Whole30Problems) I will say that it's probably better we didn't because I could see it very easily turning into a SWYPO moment. (lori_vt: I'm right with you on the fried almond flour clumps!)

My very dear and sweet chef of a husband made me poached eggs & salmon benedict this morning. (Eggs benny has been a mother's day/birthday tradition for me. His hollandaise is my favorite!  In fact, it has it's own SWYPO appeal and I MAY have dipped my spoon into the extra a few too many times. It sounds so gross thinking about it now, but it really was so delicious -- probably best that it's reserved as an occasional special treat!)

My greatest win for today was going to a housewarming lunch party w/ lots of party food and having nothing but water and being totally and legitimately content. I briefly considered the corn chips, but they were easy to dismiss. Eating a nice rich fatty snack beforehand helped, I'm sure.

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

2 poached eggs

salmon filet

mixed salad greens

my husband’s best-ever hollandaise

oven roasted sw potato rounds

cup black coffee w/ cinnamon (mother’s day treat!)

Pre-Party Snack: -- it worked!

leftover salmon w/

hollandaise

Lunch

leftover thai green curry w/

shrimp (only 2 left!)

broccoli

sw potato

coconut milk

coconut aminos

green curry paste (compliant)

garlic & fresh basil

Dinner:

asian-style turkey burger w/

garlic, sesame oil, coconut aminos, ginger powder & pimenton

salad greens w/ asian-style dressing

1/2 avocado

sw potato rounds

Supercool about the preparty snack, Alaya! Also forgot to mention your banana/cashew snack. Made me chuckle with the "... another sm handful cashews." That used to be a snack of mine too. :) Hard to stop with cashews.... I rarely eat them anymore.

Good morning!

Day 11. One of the hardest days!

This weekend was nice.It was my first Mother's Day. My husband made me a whole30 friendly frittata yesterday and we ate it with homemade mayo. Yumm!!! So good! We didn't attend any cook outs or anything, so I had nothing to worry about. I did have some watermelon this weekend, and an apple (over the whole weekend) but it does not seem to feed my sugar dragon, because I never seem to crave any other sugar. Here and there, I will probably have fruit, but I'm trying to avoid bananas most fruit during the week.

Hope everyone had a great mother's day!

Good luck today! :)

Meal1: 3 eggs cooked in olive oil

heaping pile of roasted carrots and parsnips

Meal2: all beef burger

baby spinach with olive oil

avocado

brussel sprouts

roasted parsnips & carrots

Meal3: not planned yet.

Hi friends!

Bronnyd and claws.... I needed to read that! It truly is none of my business what other people think of me. Of course what I eat is none of their business, but that I already knew!

Lori: For me it is ice cream! Though I have proven to myself over and over that it makes me feel terrible and is not actually that wonderful. But today we went for a park picnic and I kept thinking it would be lovely to walk around the park with an ice cream cone. Though now that i know how good I feel, I just think those days that I thought I felt fine, I was probably pretty bloated and miserable. 

Alaya: I hear you... also need to rectify the same  mistake. No more bananas for me. 

This was a lovely weekend. It is finally summer here in Pittsburgh. Spring was completely skipped over.. it went from 40s to 80s in about a week! I fell off the structured meal schedule and have snacked a lot on fruit. I was at two social events for lunch and for dinner yesterday and at both I had already eaten at home, but grabbed a plate of fruit to get me through the event. My husband who lives 5 hours away ( :() was visiting for the weekend and today we had a lovely whole30 compliant picnic at a park. 

Day 10 (wooooot!)

M1: spaghetti squash frittata, sweet potato, melon, coffee

M2: Picnic! This was delightful and I highly recommend it either for a picnic or lunchbox. We made: salad (tomato, cucumber, lettuce, guac dressing), roast beef (bough remade at trader joes, only ingredients are beef, salt and pepper), and took sugar snap peas and baby carrots, and prosciutto wrapped melon. I made sunshine sauce and we sat at the park and ate veggies dipped in guac or sunshine sauce, and beef dipped in guac or sunshine sauce. And a lot of water.  

M3: leftover beef, salad, ½ banana with blueberries and almond butter. I know... so much fruit. Back to good meal planning tomorrow. 

We'll power through the hardest days and make it out on the other side!! 

Here yee, Here yee booksandcream

I also made Sunshine sauce this weekend.  Will be eating it shortly with Well Feds’ Pad Thai recipe…

Happy Day 11 everyone....I completed my strength training regimen today.  Will not get in two days of strength training this week because I will be traveling for work.  

Goal:  To incorporate more walking into my regimen once I return from the user group workshop conference.

What exercise(s) have each of you considered and/or currently participating in?  

pyrotek:  Here's hoping you're still enjoying your skiers edge.

bronnyd How’s your morning strength-building yoga and calisthenics routine going?

Today was just "one of those days" but I managed to pull through with my Whole 30 in tact.

We went to the hospital this morning to get x-rays for my son. There was a mix-up with the script from the doctor and we ended up waiting two hours for the proper script in order to get the x-rays. (Super grateful for my son't generally cheerful disposition, and the fact that I had nothing else on the agenda today.) Also grateful I packed a hefty snack because it ended up turning into my lunch.

When we got home, I realized that I hadn't pulled the chicken out of the freezer early enough to thaw. (To my credit, I thought we'd be home two hours earlier...) At any rate, had to pull something together last minute. They were not the tastiest, nor the prettiest deviled eggs I've ever had, but they should do the trick until tomorrow morning. 

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed that my blood sugar didn't do it's usual crash thing. I did notice a dip while trying to pull dinner together (hence the cashews). I may start thinking about weaning off of coffee entirely to help with that.

Oh, also. I couldn't finish my apple today because it was "too sweet." (Says the girl who used to eat frozen cookie dough my the handful.) #Whole30Problems

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

3 fried eggs

oven roasted sw potato rounds

1/4 avocado

cup black coffee

Lunch

hard boiled egg whites

2 slices turkey

almond butter packet

apple

sweet potato rounds

Snack:

sm handful cashews

Dinner:

deviled eggs

(homemade mayo, mustard, coconut aminos)

1/2 avocado

broccoli w/ olive oil

Hello everyone,

Since there has been so much talk about the Sunshine Sauce, I am going to have to make some!  I made the coconut amino substitute, but it's probably been in my fridge for over 4 months now, and I'm guessing I should throw it out.  Maybe a stop at the co-op is in order tomorrow, since it's the only place locally that I can find coconut aminos. 

I didn't get a chance to do a cook-up this past weekend, because I spent most of the afternoon volunteering with the dog rescue adoption event, and then spent 5 hours visiting with my family for Mother's Day.  I did manage to cook up a new breakfast skillet dish with ground veal, onions, celery, spinach and I subbed roasted butternut squash for the pureed version.  Tonight I managed to get a bunch of things done - finally made ghee!  Made cocoa-toasted cauliflower and roast rutabaga and carrots.  Living alone I find that when I make a recipe, I end up eating it for several days in a row for any one of my three meals.  Sometimes I get tired of the same entree, but some things just don't freeze well. 

I feel a little more normal in my body today.  It hasn't been terribly uncomfortable, but I sure did notice that my clothes were tighter.  (Days 8-9 "... for the love of Gosling, my pants are TIGHTER!"  lol - sad but true!)  Hope that is finally passing.  Day 12 (tomorrow) "Boundless Energy" - and vivid dreams.  Last night I had a vivid dream and was explaining to someone why I needed to bring my own food - wonder if I'll have a dream where I cave and find a creemee in my hand!  A creemee is a Vermont thing - every other state calls it soft-serve ice cream, but Vermonters call them creemees!  And the creemees made with real Vermont maple syrup are pretty dang delicious, I'm not going to lie ;)  Well, at least they used to be.

Bfast - Ground veal breakfast skillet topped with a fried egg and a few slices of avocado

Lunch - leftover veal scallopine and large salad with lemon-scented olive oil and cider vinegar

Dinner - bone broth, a little more scallopine topped with mango salsa, cauliflower pilaf

Today was one of those days for me as well! Things are slow and it is difficult to shake the weekend off. 

M1: Steak, cucumber, tomato, lettuce salad with olive oil and avocado dressing, 1 apple

M2: Failure. I had put together a smoked salmon and arugula salad and in my mind it was amazing. But when I tried it the smoked salmon was way too salty, the arugula was dry and I had not put enough olive oil on the whole think. I managed to find a couple of hard boiled eggs at work, and ate half a banana with it. 

Didn't get home until very late and had no dinner prepared in advance. Had an apple with almond butter, while I made pad thai. 

M3: FINALLY sat down with a huge bowl of pad thai from The clothes make the girl (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/). Paleo comfort food indeed. 

This is the way the cycle goes: no meal prep -> get hungry -> have too much fruit -> not hungry until late at night, late night meals -> wake up late -> no meal prep. 

I am a little disappointed in myself for slipping back into old "bad whole30 habits" but am trying to not be so hard on myself. After all, these are the hardest days. 

Bring on day 12!!!

Hey Wholemama sounds like you had a nice first Mothers Day! Your hubby sounds like a sweetheart for making you a compliant frittata. :)

Lori, I had a vivid dream last night too - but it was about alcohol. I had wine and also vodka martini in my dream - weird cuz I don't drink much in real life at all and never have booze dreams. In this dream I thought it was perfectly ok to drink alcohol since I was eating everything else compliant. Hah! Wishful dreaming I guess. Food dreams are pretty common and also fun. I've woken up from so many food dreams relieved that I didn't break my W30!! Those cremees sound yummyyyyy. I want to have another dream where I know I'm dreaming and am eating whatever I want. :) :)

Booksandcoffee sounds like you are doing a GREAT job what with the hard work you do! And today you stuck with the W30 plan so Yay You! It's all a learning process anyhow right?

So I'm right on sched again - had  a little more energy today in a calm, present sort of way. My cold is still tapping energy, but I was really focused/happy and finished making kimchi and roasted roots this morning.  Didn't eat a ton today as my breaky was late due to morning yoga and making roasted roots. Ate breaky at 10:30, taught a noon yoga class, and wasn't hungry again until almost work time at 3. Then got home a little after 8 and just didn't feel like eating (NOT like me). Had more of a snack than a meal.

M1 egg tart (YUM) and roasted roots

M2 homemade chicky stock with chicken pieces and spinach thrown in - brought to work in canister

M3 small piece chicken, spoonful roasted roots

Claws, I did a wonderful 1.5 hours of yoga this morning. It set my day. Going to do 30 days of yoga and throw in some calisthenics a few times a week. Thanks for asking! 

Funny, I too had "one of those days yesterday"

Today's not going to hot either! My daughter was super whiney this morning and was not letting me get much done without holding her. My meals were just thrown together. I know today isn't going to be great meal wise.

Meal1: 3 eggs in olive oil

roasted parsnips and carrots

black coffee

Meal2: compliant canned tuna in olive oil

black olives

sweet potato

green beans

Meal3: not sure... wish we'd just make our Ghee already. I am missing it!!!

Well, I hate to anounce this, but yesterday was day 1 again for me.  :(

I had friends over on the weekend for a BBQ.  I thought I was doing great, while they all ate burgers I had a piece of grilled salmon, salad and enjoyed a corn on the cob.....before I even clued in that corn is a no no ! 

Then of course since I already screwed up, I threw in the towel and had cheese and crakers, macaroni, chocolate pudding.....LOL, I regret nothing!  ......  OK I totally regret it all...

Todays meals :

M1:

2 fried eggs

Roasted Sweet Potato rounds

Roasted Brussle sprouts

1/2 Avocado

M2:

Salad with lots and lots of veggies

Leftover BBQ Chicken Breast

Home made vinigrette dressing

M3:

Dijon mustard Pork Loins

Steamed Coliflour

poukiebear - glad you can share with us about your experience.  it is so easy to slip, and then throw in the towel.  i would have done the exact same thing, and it's embarrassing to admit that pride keeps me from cheating - cuz then I'd have to fess up.  plus, i really really really don't want to start over again. 

wholemama623 - hope you get your ghee made today!  i made some last night, and i feel relieved to have it available.  don't get me wrong, i love coconut oil, and use it for most everything, but when i have steamed brussels sprouts, i like a little ghee. 

bronnyd - funny that you felt alcohol was ok in your dream!  i guess when it comes to dreams, anything goes.  it's almost vicarious to get to enjoy things that are off-limits - satisfying in an odd kind of way

booksandcoffee - i totally get what you're saying about not having food ready - then i fill the gap with something light, but compliant, and then i'm hungry again.  <sigh>  and let's face it, it takes a lot of time to prepare all this good, whole food

My day started out sort of sluggish.  Again I didn't get to bed before 10, and I had to get up at 6 to get my dog to the vet at 8:45 - recheck on her knee surgery 6 weeks ago.  Then I have a few minutes before heading off to my p/t appointment at 11.  Then I go to work for a few hours.  And for the first time since I started this job (December) it is super busy.  It's great, except that I have so many appointments to go to...  Glad that I'm only working 75% of f/t at 28 hours a week.  Of course the drawback is I never have money...

Bfast - veal skillet with roasted butternut squash cubes, fried egg and avocado slices

Lunch - lemon pepper chicken with mango salsa, cauliflower rice, baby spinach

Dinner - not sure yet, but undoubtedly one of my many leftovers

I forgot to mention that I brewed another batch of Kombucha last night.  I felt very accomplished.  I love making homemade kombucha :)  however I need to split up my SCOBY's since there must be about 8 in my half-gallon jar!  Seriously taking up drinkable kombucha space, but I can't imagine drinking enough kombucha to keep 2 batches going.  If anyone lived nearby, I'd happily pass along a couple of SCOBY's!

• Moderators

I forgot to mention that I brewed another batch of Kombucha last night. I felt very accomplished. I love making homemade kombucha :) however I need to split up my SCOBY's since there must be about 8 in my half-gallon jar! Seriously taking up drinkable kombucha space, but I can't imagine drinking enough kombucha to keep 2 batches going. If anyone lived nearby, I'd happily pass along a couple of SCOBY's!

If you haven't already, you should start a scoby hotel, so you'll have extras in case anything happens to the one you're using, like mold or the jar getting knocked off the counter and broken, or even if you decide to experiment with something like coffucha (coffee based kombucha).

http://www.kombuchakamp.com/scoby-hotel-video-quick-tip

Well, I hate to anounce this, but yesterday was day 1 again for me.   :(

Well I'm just glad you're still with us, Poukiebear! This is a difficult program to be on, esp. if spring weather is on for home BBQ! Sounds like a totally innocent mistake. I was like - all that sounds compliant to me - until you said corn was not W30. Oh yeah! That's a hard one. I disagree with the notion that corn is simply a grain. Corn is both grain and vegetable. Dry seeds are harvested as grain. Sweet corn on cob is a vegetable and not an empty sugary carb that many people are touting. It's got tons of good nourishing bioflavinoids and vit A and B. That said I consulted Starts With Food and their take on it is that Corn is a grain in all it's forms (pg 155). Am not going to make a big fuss at moment, but in summer, corn on cob is heaven.  

Am wondering - How do you feel? Any interesting reactions or affects to share from all the other tasties you had or was it just damn good? A lot of people make a mistake and say eff it and just drop out. But I find your posts inspiring and also committed, esp. with work peeps wanting to do W30, and look forward to future posts from you back on track. :)

I forgot to mention that I brewed another batch of Kombucha last night.  I felt very accomplished.  I love making homemade kombucha :)  however I need to split up my SCOBY's since there must be about 8 in my half-gallon jar!  Seriously taking up drinkable kombucha space, but I can't imagine drinking enough kombucha to keep 2 batches going.  If anyone lived nearby, I'd happily pass along a couple of SCOBY's!

Lori I too have a ton of scobys to pass on to friends. Dunno what to do with all of them! Maybe sell them on ebay. ;)

I just finished my second morniing of 30 days of yoga. I feel good. Taking it easy this first week as I'm still recouping from a fast and furious virus as well as cutting out all caffeine since last Wednesday. No green tea even. Only on weekends. No espresso/coffee at all for me for a while. Mwah.

Warming up my egg tart and roasted roots right now for M1. Thought about having stuffed eggplant instead, but I feel like eggs and breakfasty food. If that's SWYPO then so be it. Nothin wrong with eggs in the morning.

M2 -salmon with sauteed broccoli. 

M3 - stuffed eggplant

Happy day 12 everyone! xoxb

Am wondering - How do you feel? Any interesting reactions or affects to share from all the other tasties you had or was it just damn good? A lot of people make a mistake and say eff it and just drop out. But I find your posts inspiring and also committed, esp. with work peeps wanting to do W30, and look forward to future posts from you back on track. :)

Going down in a blaze of glory is not as much fun as it sounds.

I'm bloated and gassy an constipated.  I blame the cheese. The copious amounts of cheese!

poukie- oh no! It happens. At least you came here and fessed up! ;) it's so hard. The summer is one of the hardest times! All the cookouts and stuff really make it difficult.

My husband made ghee today for the first time, but we didn't know it can take 12 hours to "set". Grrrrr. wanted it for frying up some scallops tonight!

• Administrators

If you haven't already, you should start a scoby hotel, so you'll have extras in case anything happens to the one you're using, like mold or the jar getting knocked off the counter and broken, or even if you decide to experiment with something like coffucha (coffee based kombucha).

http://www.kombuchakamp.com/scoby-hotel-video-quick-tip

Yes, a hotel!  My hotel got too full so I put up a Craigslist ad for free scobys and mother liquid.  I've given away 7 in the last month or so and now I'm working on building my hotel patrons back up. 

I'm going to look up coffucha, can't believe I've never heard of this!

• Moderators

I'm going to look up coffucha, can't believe I've never heard of this!

I had a failed coffucha attempt -- it smelled so awful I wouldn't even taste it. But some people swear it's wonderful, so I may have done something wrong. It just smelled like vinegary coffee. Ick.

Another busy day and a bath is calling my name, so I'm going to just post & run -- love to see the activity still buzzing here. And PoukieBear: super impressed that you're back and re-comitted!

What I ate today:

Breakfast:

3 fried eggs

1/2 avocado

steamed broccoli w/ olive oil

cup black coffee

Snack:

steamed broccoli dipped in:

mashed avocado w/ lime

Lunch: at the grocery store again!

sliced turkey

kale salad w/

carrot, beet, pumpkin seeds, raisins,

avocado & lemon

almond butter packet

gingerade kombucha

Dinner:

sauteed chicken w/

zoodles

broccoli

& sunshine sauce

2 leftover deviled eggs

The thought of coffee kombucha is kind of, well, ew.  I'm going to try it because I have so many scoby's, but I'm skeptical.  I found this page http://commonsensehome.com/how-to-make-coffee-kombucha/  Especially ShannonM816, if it's vinegary coffee that's just nasty.

I'm starting to feel a little anxious about the party on Thursday.  I work at the University of Vermont on various grant-funded programs, and one of the grad students I worked with is now going on internship.  The former lab I worked in is hosting a goodbye party.  Usually the PI provides champagne, and the main course, and the rest of us bring cheese and crackers, side dishes and dessert.  I'm bringing Sweet and Salty Broccoli Salad (Well Fed - I think it was in the first book), but I'm serving the bacon on the side because 1) one of the grad students is a vegetarian, and 2) I can't find compliant bacon anywhere (HUGE SOBS).  I think I might email the PI tomorrow and let her know that I will be bringing my own meal because I'm doing the W30.  I can toast with seltzer, and that will be fine, but I really love Maggie (the student who's leaving) and even though I don't have to toast her with alcohol, it does sort of feel like I'm not fully participating.  It's weird this hold food / beverage / alcohol has on me.  I'm really glad the timeline talks about all the stages that people go through.  I didn't think it would be an issue, but now I'm having doubts.  And then another grad student is having a bridal shower on Saturday.  So many opportunities to test my commitment.  I'm worried that I will be weak and tempted and will throw in the towel.  And I really don't want to do that. 

I may try the pre-party compliant snack (was it Alaya who posted about this and how successful it was?) - I suppose there are always challenges no matter when you do the W30.  The first time I did it was around Thanksgiving, and I made it through with pies and whatnot.  This month does seem to have a number of "occasions"  [Mother's Day, farewell party, bridal shower, my son's b'day). 

Okay, it's coming up on 10 pm and I am not ready for bed.  Argh!!!  I have such a hard time getting myself to bed! 

• Administrators

I had a failed coffucha attempt -- it smelled so awful I wouldn't even taste it. But some people swear it's wonderful, so I may have done something wrong. It just smelled like vinegary coffee. Ick.

I read up on it. Seems that you cannot reuse the scoby after it's done coffee so I don't think I will subject a scoby to that unless I really and truly have an overrun I can't get rid of.

Also, your description of it scares me, LOL!

Archived