Spring into May Whole 30!

bronnyd

I'm going to be honest here, like always.

The very thought of Kombucha makes me shiver in fear of heave with disgust.  

With that being said, I've never tried it!  My Chiroprator's office sells the full kits to make the tea.  I've looked into it, and had them show me what's involved, but I just couldn't make myself purchse it, or even taste it. 

So, my question to you who drink it, what is it really like?  i do drink a lot of green tea, and when i'm not on the whole 30 I drink Orange Peeko with milk and sugar.  

I'm usually up for tasting anything new, I don't like to limit myself just because something is "different".....but with this, I just can't get past that blubbery, rubbery blob of nastiness floating in my drink.  

So, go ahead and convince me that I should at least try it before judging !  (Which it appears I already have....lol )

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HA - I love it!!  You made me laugh out loud, PoukieBear!  I felt the same way for so long.  I would have gone hungry (or thirsty) before trying a fermented tea drink that honestly smells like a**.  In fact, my son tried one of the batches I made, and though he loved the taste, he couldn't get past the smell.  That said, if you can try one of the berry or ginger flavors, and are not super sensitive to the smell, I think you'll like it.  I only started drinking it last year when I had some kind of stomach issue that wasn't responding to anything.  I couldn't even do the W30 - I had to switch to the AIP protocol.  I lost so much weight and felt awful.  Kombucha really helped restore my stomach flora to a healthy level.  After I found some brands and flavors that I liked, I found it really really hard to spend $4.00 a bottle for the stuff.  So I took a class at my co-op and learned how to make it.  Now I can tweak it and make it just the way I like.  I don't like it when it gets "sharp."  I don't mind drinking cider vinegar, but not vinegary tea.  So I stop the fermenting process before it gets there.  I also like mine when it has a bit of carbonation, so I add a few extra berries and let the carbonation build up.  I hope you give it a try.  It's incredibly healthy, and I have come to LOVE it!! 

Thanks so much for the morning laugh!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lori - My Brother went to University of Vermont! How cool! :)

Day 13. Running out of food, and out of money until tomorrow.

Meal1: potatoes in olive oil

3 eggs in olive oil

half an avocado

black coffee

meal2: Worst one yet, probably. Literally just throwing stuff in my lunch bag as I was walking out the door

sweet potato

compliant canned tuna in olive oil

sautéed summer squash in ghee

black olives

meal3: as always, never know until I get home. probably...

All beef burger

cauliflower

salad

• Administrators

So, my question to you who drink it, what is it really like?  i do drink a lot of green tea, and when i'm not on the whole 30 I drink Orange Peeko with milk and sugar.  

I'm usually up for tasting anything new, I don't like to limit myself just because something is "different".....but with this, I just can't get past that blubbery, rubbery blob of nastiness floating in my drink.  

I make it and go through about 5 litres a week (a little over a US gallon).  Just so you know, there is no blubbery, rubbery blob of nastiness in what you actually drink.  The culture stays in the original brewing vessel.  I flavour mine with juices and secondary ferment it so that it's fruity and fizzy.  I don't generally love the kombucha when it's plain. As far as the "smell" goes, try thinking about that tangy smell more as a cider smell than a vinegar smell.  That's what worked for my husband.

• Administrators

Chia is ok on Whole30 in moderation like all other nuts and seeds.  It doesn't have the best fatty acid profile and is better used as a garnish. GT Dave's has mostly compliant flavours.  Or...you could make your own!  ;)

Well I'm disappointed to admit tomorrow is my day one. I survived the weekend festivities, yet an emotional upset Sunday night rolled into dreary weather Mon-Tues, a benefit dinner where I could only eat plain salad (no dressing) compounded by my hubby winning cookies killed it for me. I woke up this morning to make coffee and in a half-awake state lost my footing. Why is it that you can't just eat 1 cookie too.

I didn't feel guilty until I was driving to the gym and realized what I just did. Plus, my energy has been down since the weekend. Stress related maybe? I have faith it will get better though.

Thank you Poukie Bear for your honesty. I was afraid to come back to the forum until I saw your post!

Thank you folks for making this such an active string.  I like reading the posts and seeing how folks are faring through all of this.  And it does feel like a supportive network.  Last night I started feeling like - BAH - I'm sick of this, but it passed and I didn't cave.  Today was moderately okay - I think it might have something to do with lack of variety in my meals.  I too am breaking the bank, and having a hard time planning my time to cook up lots of different foods.  I make a bunch at once, but then that's all I have for several days.  It gets boring. 

I wrote to everyone who will be at Maggie's party tomorrow to let them know that I'm going to bring my own meal, and not to be offended or feel bad for me.  I felt so relieved when 3 of the 4 folks wrote back and said they were glad I was going to be there :)  I feel much better now about that one.  But Saturday (bridal shower...) - honestly I'm not sure my car can make the trip (>2 hours one way).  I hate being broke.

Bfast - almost the last of the veal skillet with butternut squash, fried egg and avocado

Lunch - Arugula salad with sardines, baked plantain chips

Dinner - hmmmmm - I gotta see what's in there

Last night I was pleased that I made spicy coated fish with cucumber relish, roasted asparagus and roasted root veggies.  Finally something a little different!

Hello everyone! I see everyone  is busy and doing well!!  I am still going strong!!!  I am having a hard time getting on here and posting!! I had to change my schedule in order to fit in my workouts. I wake very early 4:00 AM and to bed early around 8:00 PM, and lately is has been hell. I am having trouble trying to fit it all in. However, I am not going to let anyone or anything get in the way of my taking care of myself!! I can see my husband is starting to get pissy.....he will get over it!!  However, I won't be able to post until I can adjust to this new schedule!!! and figure out a way to fit it all in!!!  I am sorry!!! Please...keep up the good work and will check in when I can!!!  Hugs, Debbie

• Administrators

Hello everyone! I see everyone  is busy and doing well!!  I am still going strong!!!  I am having a hard time getting on here and posting!! I had to change my schedule in order to fit in my workouts. I wake very early 4:00 AM and to bed early around 8:00 PM, and lately is has been hell. I am having trouble trying to fit it all in. However, I am not going to let anyone or anything get in the way of my taking care of myself!! I can see my husband is starting to get pissy.....he will get over it!!  However, I won't be able to post until I can adjust to this new schedule!!! and figure out a way to fit it all in!!!  I am sorry!!! Please...keep up the good work and will check in when I can!!!  Hugs, Debbie

Sometimes "taking care of yourself" is going to the gym and sometimes it's listening to your body crying out for rest.  There's no benefit in punishing yourself just to fit a schedule.  :)

Poukiebear- Hah! Yes the scoby can seem a bit gross but like Ladyshanny said, you don't actually drink it. In some kombuchas there is a slight residue  that grows in the bottle, but you can always just pour through a little sieve to keep it from going into your glass. Try purchasing GTs at a local organic grocery store. My fave is ginger and any berry. It's expensive, but worth checking out. If you like it, and I bet you will, then you might feel more motivated to make your own. Avoid chia seed kombuchas if you don't like slimy things in your mouth.  ;)

This morning I was really really grumpy tired grrrrrness. Still have this cold and it's just sapping my energy. Last night I missed a class I signed up for 2nd week in a row because of this bug. Went home, had a couple of soft boiled eggs and went to bet at 9! Slept for almost 10 hours.Takes me forever to get going in the morning. I think my body/mind is shifting. I still have SIBO, although slowly getting better, and everyone around this town is sick with this nasty thing. At least I can function, but just am so tired of feeling so tired. Also, my skin's broken out. Why? Whywhywhywhywhy? Mwah wah wah. :angry:  :(  :angry:

OK, enough of that. Got it out. Thank Goddess for ginger tea, good food like my stuffed eggplant for M1, and I had time to do day 3 of morning yoga even though I didn't feel like it, a great night's sleep, and so much more. It's OK to be sick and it's OK to take a nap after lunch. And I actually feel MUCH better now and it's after 8! I haven't eaten much besides my first meal.

M1 stuffed eggplant

M2 A bite of egg tart

M3 making now.- crispy chicken finally with already cooked chicken just baking in oven from the wonderful recipe booksandcoffee recommended. Eating that with a side of kale sauteed in a bit of bacon fat. It's late for me, but need to eat. 

What's with this face breaking out thing?? I never break out. wondering if it has to do with the virus going around. OR the kombucha I made - it tasted a bit sweet and am letting it ferment a little while longer. But not sure what my sweet standard is anymore! Even a bite of fruit tastes a bit too sweet for me right now.

That's a good thing. 

YAY to US for making it through day 13!

xob

Another post and run from me. Busy day. Back late from dance class. Bath and then bed. Grateful for this space, even when I don't make the time to engage thoroughly!

What I ate today:

Breakfast:

2 poached eggs

1/2 avocado mashed w/ lime

leftover steamed broccoli

salad greens

cup black coffee

Post-WO:

hard-boiled egg whites

mustard

Lunch

leftover sauteed chicken w/

zoodles

broccoli

& sunshine sauce

1/2 avocado

Snack: dragging after a tough workout... i went for the fruit intentionally, not because of cravings. a first!

baby food packet:

(blueberry, pear, & purple carrot)

almond butter packet

Dinner: I need some variety in my greens. So sick of salad greens, kale & broccoli. Just couldn't do it tonight.

chicken thighs seasoned w/

italian seasoning, pimenton, cayenne,

salt & pepper

sw potato roasted in ghee

Thanks guys!  Next week when I'm at my Chiropractor's office, I'll ask to try some Kombucha. I'll report back with my thoughts!

Roxcali - Don't feel bad, we all have slip ups.  Plus, it could have been worse, it doesn't sound like you went out in a blaze of glory like I did.  Just remember that you held strong and didn't throw in the towel on the entire day just because of one mistake.  hang in there!  We will all get through this together :)

Chia is ok on Whole30 in moderation like all other nuts and seeds.  It doesn't have the best fatty acid profile and is better used as a garnish. GT Dave's has mostly compliant flavours.  Or...you could make your own!   ;)

Being completely serious. What do you look for in a Kombucha that would NOT be compliant? I like Kombucha, but not enough to make it at home. Hubby things it's gross, and would rather not have it taking up room! LOL. I

Last night's dinner was made by hubby very good, and creative.

pan friend tilapia in ghee with compliant seasoning

broccoli slaw also in ghee

avocado

wrapped up in a Nori sheets

YUM!!!

Day14!

I am exhausted today. I have no idea why I am so tired, I slept pretty good. and Lori, I can relate. I am getting pretty bored with the food and I'm doing a whole100! I better get something figured out here soon especially since my hubby quit on day 9. We only have a very certain amount of money we can spend on groceries each week. We can't go over. I find that trying to make these recipes would take a big chunk of money for ONE thing. We simply can't afford to do that, so I'm making pretty stand meats/veggies and trying to get creative where we can!

My face had been broken out terrible too. It's FINALLY starting to clear up a bit.

meal1: huge pile of broccoli slaw sautéed in ghee

3 eggs in ghee

black coffee

meal2: all beef patty

zoodles with ghee

sweet potato

Meal3: not sure yet!

WholeMama623 - the $$ part of this is challenging.  And broccoli slaw sauteed in ghee sounds delicious!  Last night I found myself to be cranky.  Just plain cranky.  And I live alone - well, with my dog and cat ;-)  I didn't snap at them, but if another person had been around, it's quite likely I would have been a little ugly.  And I was a little headachey.  Had a great night's sleep and woke up, well, bored.  Kinda feeling done with this, but I'll just push through.  Terribly bored with breakfast - AGAIN veal skillet with butternut squash, but I added steamed broccoli (would've been yummy with ghee...), 1/4 baked sweet potato rounds and couple slices avocado.  I had to be at work for a research meeting and coffee was served, BUT it was only caffeinated (YIKES!!) and only had stupid half 'n half creamers.  So I took the plunge and had 2 half-cups of black caffeine.  It wasn't so bad black, but now I'm flying.

The PI who is hosting the party tonight wrote back and said she is planning to do a Cinco de Mayo theme - chicken breasts marinated in lime juice and cilantro on the grill (compliant), with sauteed peppers and onions on the side (will have to check these).  Hooray - I can at least have the chicken!  I'll bring my own mango salsa and cauliflower pilaf and of course the broccoli salad w/o bacon (sniff, sniff).

Lunch will be large salad with cider vinegar/olive oil, leftover spicy fish with cucumber relish, and leftover roasted root veggies.  [boring]

And I set up my dehydrator with apples, mango and kiwi last night, so maybe I'll bring just a couple of slices to enjoy with dinner.  Like others have said, once the sugars are cleared out of my diet, even fruit tastes almost too sweet.  I really like that!!  And if I have a little with a meal, then no spike in blood sugar.  Now I will have to be adamant about leaving before 9, since it's a 45 minute drive home.

Hope everyone has a lovely DAY 14!!!!  Btw, Im going through 5/31 just because May happens to have 31 days.  I figure I'll have a maple creemee on June 1st :)

• Administrators

Being completely serious. What do you look for in a Kombucha that would NOT be compliant? I like Kombucha, but not enough to make it at home. Hubby things it's gross, and would rather not have it taking up room! LOL. I

Non compliant kombucha is anything that lists sugar in the ingredient list.  The original fermentation is done with sugar but it's what they add AFTER that can be an issue.  As long as no form of sugar is noted, it's good to go!

Non compliant kombucha is anything that lists sugar in the ingredient list.  The original fermentation is done with sugar but it's what they add AFTER that can be an issue.  As long as no form of sugar is noted, it's good to go!

They'll still declare sugar on the label because it went into making the kombucha. There's two things you might possibly see in the ingredient list:

Kombucha (water, sugar, tea, kombucha starter/kombucha culture)

vs.

Kombucha, sugar

In the first example, the parentheses are cluing you in to what went into the kombucha and, in that case, the sugar is eaten up by the bacteria. In the second example, the kombucha has been sweetened after fermentation.

• Administrators

They'll still declare sugar on the label because it went into making the kombucha. There's two things you might possibly see in the ingredient list:

Kombucha (water, sugar, tea, kombucha starter/kombucha culture)

vs.

Kombucha, sugar

In the first example, the parentheses are cluing you in to what went into the kombucha and, in that case, the sugar is eaten up by the bacteria. In the second example, the kombucha has been sweetened after fermentation.

Good clarification, thanks bud!  :D

I am totally feeling the tired grumpies that y'all are describing. WHY?! I thought this was supposed to end all of that, right?! Grrr...

I do feel improvements, I really do. And I know that nothing but sleep will make up for the fact that I have been sleep deprived for the last year and a half. But I am hitting that spot of getting bored with the food and impatient for the results. Must. Chill. Out.

I do notice I'm starting to get "snacky" with the nuts again lately. Must watch that. I think I have a tendancy to reach for food when I'm tired/grumpy rather than actually resting or drinking a nice tall glass of water.

At any rate, here's what I ate today:

Breakfast:

4 egg scramble w/

salad greens

fresh garlic

salt, pepper, pimenton, italian seasoning

1/2 cup black coffee

Post-WO:

hard-boiled egg whites

mustard

Snack:

cup black tea w/ lemon juice

handful cashews

Lunch

leftover sauteed chicken w/

zoodles

broccoli

& sunshine sauce

leftover kale salad w/

carrots, beets, raisins, avocado,

lemon juice, olive oil

Dinner:

citrus glazed salmon

asparagus

Starting day 15!

last nights dinner was shrimp dipped in eggs and coconut flakes, pan friend in ghee on a bed of arugula, carrots, tomato's, black olives, and olive oil. I had some hardboiled eggs too.

Slept great last night. I didn't move or toss and turn at all!!!

Meal1: 3 eggs with ghee

heaping pile of broccoli slaw in ghee

black coffee

Meal2: burger with mustard

sweet potato with ghee

zoodles with ghee

black olives

handful of roasted pumpkin seeds if needed

meal3: fish of some kind, and veggies

meals are getting smaller which I know is bad. I just get really really full, and then I'm miserable half the day at work. I don't snack though, so I think I'm getting enough of what I need.

Hi!  Mind if I join this thread 15 days late?!?  I started my first Whole 30 on May 1 but I wasn't utilizing these forums until yesterday - when I was feeling terrible and sure I was going to quite.  I spent some time reading the troubleshooting thread and asked a few questions and am feeling better now and more optimistic but I should have been participating here all along!

One of my big issues this last week was the fact I wasn't making sure to get enough starchy veggies onto my plate so this morning breakfast was a generous helping of Velvet Butternut squash and sausage patties from my local co-op that are amazingly tasty and totally compliant.

DAY 15 - WOO HOO!!  The last two days have been too busy for me, but they don't happen all that often, thankfully.  I made it through the farewell party last night without a slip and without feeling left out.  Although Sheau-Yan made dessert which was coconut chocolate chip cookies with Ben and Jerry's ice cream hot fudge sauce and hand-whipped cream, topped with strawberries.  I was curious about the cookies, but didn't dwell on it.  I also had a little snack before I headed over, so I wouldn't be tempted by the frozen margaritas, cheese and crackers and other stuff.  All in all, a successful day albeit a busy one.

bfast - <boring> last of the veal skillet w/squash, a little sweet potato rounds, fried egg and couple slices of avocado

black coffee at a research seminar, and actually it wasn't so bad ;)

lunch - huge salad, leftover spicy fish with cucumber relish and leftover roasted root veggies

snack - a small handful of plantain chips with almond butter, a few slices of dehydrated apples, mangoes and kiwi

dinner - compliant grilled chicken with sauteed peppers and mango salsa, broccoli salad (without the bacon), bean/tomato/asparagus salad, a few strawberries

I didn't leave on time, and ended up getting home around 10, and went straight to bed (10:15 or so).  I knew it would be a little rough, since I had patients to see this morning by 9:30.  Quick walk with the dog this morning, then on to my routine:

bfast - my "usual," 2 eggs on sauteed broccoli, asparagus, onion, jalapeno, but I roasted the sweet potato rounds instead of stir-fry

lunch - tuna in olive oil, leftover broccoli salad, 1/4 avocado slices, 1/2 tomato slices and 1 serving of Trader Joe's Inner Peas

dinner - no idea - been too busy to plan and cook

tomorrow is the bridal shower.  It's a 2 hour drive each way, so I will be gone for pretty much the whole day.  I'll pack up something for my compliant lunch and leave it in a cooler.  I'll have to check out what they have to offer and if it's compliant, I'll indulge, but if not, I'll have my own food.  I have more confidence about this since I made it through last night :)  Now I need to figure out how to work my exercise time back into my schedule. 

Welcome HappyYogini!  This is a great thread and glad you joined us!

Archived